brassherald
Quick !
ImBad14
Irrelephant11 is a mafia rolecop and
Nauci
brassherald
Quick is a mafia goon.
Good luck!

Please also note that you all can ignore the "please PM me night actions note". Instead you can just let me know your actions in here, please bold all actions in the form of

mhsmith0 kills mhsmith0
mhsmith0 rolecops mhsmith0
mhsmith0 roleblocks mhsmith0
Last edited by mhsmith0 on Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Post by Nauci »

Oh crap I have to go read up on the new newbie setup

Hi there! This is only my 2nd time scumming. I'm very good at sounding hella vanilla town. I won't be afraid to agree or disagree or bus you if necessary (sorry!).
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Post by Nauci »

There's a good chance they'll try tracker claiming because it's a 2/3 chance of having a protector, but at least we know it's be 50/50.

I think if I can pull off a really really really towny day 1 I should do the night kill and if I get jailed by a potential JK I can claim it's because I was the target, assuming we didn't have a tracker claim
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:18 am

Post by Nauci »

If the neapolitan gets a hit on one of us, we'd have to bluff being doctor and try to fight the counter claim.

If either of us gets run up to -1 and it looks like they're going to lynch us and we're asked to claim, our best bet is to claim doctor and say which targets you "protected" because that's not immediately falsifiable, like any tracker/cop/neapolitan claims would be. Doctors are paired up with jailkeepers, cops, trackers, and neapolitans in this setup so unless there's an actual doctor to counter claim, any other PR wouldn't be able to CC based on setup info.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Post by Nauci »

Oh and Thor is potentially easy to provoke/rile up into seeming kinda aggro scummy, IMO
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Setup info per request

important setup information
Newbie Setup

2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neopolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neopolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goons
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 am

Post by Nauci »

I'm nervous because I'm bad at being scum

I'm bad at being scum because I get nervous
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Post by Nauci »

wtb partner
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Hello Nauci! This is my first game. I’m excited and nervous. I see you’re nervous too, but I hope we’ll work we’ll together. I’m gonna check into the thread and start thinking about setup, including my role
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Post by Nauci »

IMO, don't agree with me too much (more than 1x/game day?), and use the newness to your advantage. Being new means people give you a lot of leeway, especially to post less, when lurking is usually a bad sign. There's a lot of strong personalities in this game who will fill up the pages for us.

The biggest way to separate scum from town is to read if our motivations are genuine or not when we make accusations or reads, so people will ask you for your reads or read lists on the entire game. I'd give the "first game" cop out to avoid them until you're more comfortable.

Anyway, welcome! I'm totally addicted to mafia and hope you find it fun too!

One of the things I messed up on my first time being mafia was that I would be afraid of voting for innocent people because it would make me look like scum, but the hesitation actually gave me away instantly. Conviction in driving up and voting on a mislynch actually makes people look more town. You want to be one of the first two people, or the last person, to vote for someone, IMO. And I think if you ask lots of questions on how to play it'll help.

It's just important to read your posts before you make them to be sure that you haven't said anything which you would only know if you are scum, like setup information, or who is innocent town or not, etc.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:22 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Okay so I’m here for a bit! What I said in the thread was true - I’ll always be way more available M-F, but I want to check in with you at least today to talk some strategy. I’ve read a few MS games start-finish, so I’m more familiar with the game than my newbie status suggests. That said, I was thinking it could maybe be a viable strategy to do a townslip or two? Maybe something about the setup that would be obvious if I were mafia, but I could pretend to be clueless about? Let me know if you’ve ever experienced any townslips that worked as a “confirmation” for a newbie.

I definitely won’t agree with you too much, but I’m also planning on playing with a “hmm, I’m new, let me try this” fake meta. Some ways it will play out include “let me pretend you’re town, and see what that does to my reads”. “Meta is hard, I can’t read the IC or SEs very well. Should we maybe be nervous about them? They’re probably better manipulators.” And some slight intentional lurking when I think it could be helpful. I’m sort of disappointed, I was excited to play a strong vanilla townie game, but now I’ll have to try to play more middle of the road/quiet, with a later possible fakeclaim as my “reason for laying low”.

Wow I’m nervous. I didn’t expect to get so nervous.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Town claims probably always hurt us, right? Especially since I can rolecop. Should we be prepping for claims more?

One of us has to do the nightkill each night? Can I rolecop and kill in the same night?

I’m not afraid to bus you either. ;)

One of my first thoughts is that, after a scum flips, their reads matter a lot, right? How do people expect newbies to play scum? Townreading teammates and scumreading townies is the obvious one, yes? So I should be less obvious than that? Also, am I right in thinking that two players with mismatched reads of look townier than two players with reciprocal reads? I should read up on all this some more.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Mm, this is interesting and helpful re:bussing

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Stop_Bussing!
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Post by Nauci »

You can both RC and kill in the same night.

Scum in all of my newbie games have played pretty differently. Some were super obvious, some weren't. The easiest way to spot is scumslipping, followed by suuuuper shitty sounding accusations (my first game here, a player named Gorny wrote up a whole case on me that was completely ridiculous sounding). The other most suspicious things are if two people are agreeing a lot (though, I do this a lot as town so it becomes a false positive on me a lot. Scumlurking is also bad. Oh and "lolhammering." Usually, people are voted until they're -1 vote from lynch, and someone will declare intent to hammer, and the person will be given a last chance to defend themselves. My only other time as scum on this site my partner accidentally hammered a mislynch just a few pages in and was super obviously scum. Other times, scum will hammer early because they know they're caught and want to take the hit themselves and not give their partners any more chances to look bad, OR if their partners look really towny at that moment and any further interactions could make them look worse. Either way, don't do that.

I think that in specifically newbie games, there's a lot more leeway for newer players to act new af and get away with posting less or being less dramatic, and more sheeping of the louder players.

And people on this site generally do take townslipping into account, so lmk if you think of anything. I think I got conftowned once *because* I didn't realize that scum don't have daychat lol.

My favorite role of all time is still vanilla townie haha. Hopefully we both get to do that soon!
You
Don't be too nervous. This game has already taken interesting turns because there are a couple of TVT arguments going that we can take advantage of. I think I'm going to be anti Teacher/pro Flicker, and not take a stance on Thor v James for now. All of your ideas here are solid and I don't think you'll have issues looking town so long as you carefully comb your posts for any possible knowledge slip ups. My strat is to just always play like I'm vanilla town.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 am

Post by Nauci »

This gets into WIFOM territory but I think because there's daychat, it would actually look town if we were agreeing in thread because why would we do that if we could coordinate in scum thread instead...

I'm overthinking things. Agree with what I say if you agree, and disagree if you don't. Bonus points if we get into a big argument over a dumb misinterpretation, because I seem to do that a LOT TvT and it ends with both person's getting town read. For reference, skim my Team Mafia Tie Breaker game where I debated with Sky_Paladin over immaterial shit for ages. I can get soooooo pedantic. I'm more likely to get into this with Thor though.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I do think it's probably useful WIFOM to agree - maybe even have one of us "buddy" or "pocket" the other. If one of us dies, I feel like it would clear the other? But not too hard, because obviously that's scummy in the first place. Anyway, agreeing sometimes sounds like a smart idea. I can't think of any townslips yet. Except maybe if mechanics come up I can be like "well mafia don't know the setup any more than we do" which is false, because we know which column we're in,. Idk. I think your "do scum have daychat" is as good a townslip as there is. Unsure if I should point it out or not...
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Another possible townslip - before I became scum, I thought scum daychat would literally be like a chatbox: Skype or something, that would require players to be online at the same time. I could try to "scumhunt" by way of looking for partners online together, which would show I *really* don't know what scum daychat looks like. Unsure if I could pull this off convincingly though
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 am

Post by Nauci »

The first one is definitely totally implausible. The whole game design is geared to give scum information, IMO

The second one, I don't know. Seems difficult to say without accidentally scumslipping. Maybe just simplify it to "is it like an IRC thing?" Sort of question. Funny though; I used to think the same thing on my other forum when I first read about mafia and "scum chat." Literally thought it was an IRC channel.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Yeah, the IRC comment could work...

Sorry to hear about the pain you're in! Hope you feel better soon! Let me know if I can ease your MS workload in any way :)
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I see what you mean about riling up Thor. I'm scum and he looks scummy to me, the way he engages on every subject like it matters, when all that's really doing is making him look suspicious imo
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Ooph, I didn't realize how hard it would be when people get suspicious of me - JB has me all paranoid and I don't think I've even done anything wrong, really.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 am

Post by Nauci »

It's funny

I learned how to deal with people being suspicious of me

By being vanilla town

People would accuse me of sounding scummy all the time during early game as VT, and I'd always shrug it off. If there's a specific thing I need to address like if someone misinterpreted something I said, I'll calmly address it. If not, I'll just take it as a cue that I'm not towning hard enough and townpost harder. If I can get accused of being scum a bunch of times while playing my towniest town, I don't sweat it so much when it happens now. I am so good at towning that I'm just going to forget I'm not town and post like I am VT lol
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

That all makes sense! Getting a scum role for my first game is just making me feel it that much more when people include my name or talk to me in-thread. Excited that we're both being town-read by at least one player so far :D
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Have any thoguhts on power roles at this point? It makes me nervous that they have a guaranteed info role, or possibly two.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Also gotta go for the day - tty tomorrow!

Return to “Completed Game Topics”