Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1450 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 am

Post by Nero Cain »

poor MUer
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Brigand Vvulf
Brigand Vvulf
Goon
Brigand Vvulf
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1451 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am

Post by Brigand Vvulf »

In post 1438, GreyICE wrote: Look, you're town, so I'm going to let you in on the sad thing about these large games. It takes 11 to lynch. There's probably 5 scum, leaving 16 townies. That means if six townies decide to play The Lone Ranger and go off on their own, we would be unable to lynch anyone the scum didn't want us to lynch. In point of fact,
even if the person you are voting is scum
this is true - with 5 scum, there's enough we could split our vote between scumbags and still not get anywhere.

In short, Lone Ranger votes like these rarely accomplish something, even if they happen to land on scum. So try to sell us, or try to work with us. Nero's posts legit aren't great, but something like this isn't really going to sell us. It's a weak vote, that puts no pressure on Nero (because he needs 10 more to get lynched) and doesn't really even have bullet points for him to address (and potentially make himself look scummy). It's effectively a non-post due to game size.

If this was a micro things like this can work, because there's so few people that just putting a vote out there is important, but in a game like this you aren't even 10% of a lynch wagon. So please, lets work together.
I was really hoping we wouldn't resort to cases this game, but

ask and thou shall receive my friend

I just ISO'ed nero again. The issue I see with nero are that A) he's appearing to look active without really contributing anything of value to advance gamestate; B) he likes to dip in discussions that don't produce meaninful results that could then leads to reads; C) instead opting to take a lot of neutral stances then backing away from the discussion. D) There's also the over the top self-awareness, the unnecessary abrasiveness in dismissing scum reads on him, and in general being consioucs and reactive when confronted with the slightest of pressure. (but this could be a playstyle/gimmick so less emphasis on this part)

A.
1. 1105 pre-emptive discrediting while responding accusations
2. responding to ausuka's TR on creature, but offering no original opinion
3. 1258 dismisses the tchill wagon but approaches it from a wierd side angle while responding to grey, offers an unimpressive lurker isn't always scum defense, no opinions on people on the wagon

B.
1. with regard to ausuka's town read on creature
2. with regard to tchill being scum, leaving him a spot to join the wagon later if needed

C.
there are lots of exampes but the one that stood out was in 1090 when he offered an opinion but didn't pursue it any further

D.
1. I was offput by his consious effort to shake off the early SRs on him
2. A major proponent is the back and forth with toranaga with the absurd amount of OMGUS and jumping to the conclusion that tora must be scum, examples of this would be in 1134 where he discredits for seemingly non reason, and in 1248 where he mentions that scum could be sheeping tora with wagons but takes no initiative to spot any names
3. self-awareness re: beeboy 1090
4. responses to cheeky, etc
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1452 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1444, Thor665 wrote:@Toranaga - I just asked a specific question about his most recent interaction with you.
ISO me for it - I don't have a long ISO.

@Grey - I...don't lurk as scum...?
Okay, I get your point now.
Oh cool, I was certain I remembered you as lurker scum. Although I'd call this game one of the best examples of active lurking I've ever seen. Your first 40 posts probably have less real content in them then I see in one or two random posts from you here (although if you are pulling the wool over my eyes, GJ. I don't buy it though, you're town).
In post 1448, Mulch wrote:
Toranaga is being replaced and may no longer post.
Damn it, I hope it was something derpy. I was starting to enjoy having him around.

Pedit: Whoof. Response in a sec. That's a post alright.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1453 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Nero Cain »

oh boi
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1454 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1455 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1304, Thor665 wrote:
In post 1300, Ausuka wrote:
In post 1297, GreyICE wrote:That justification seems very weak. What about the post is "super townie"?
it looks genuinely uninformed. like, I don't see someone who knows every alignment writing that.
All he's doing in that post is making a case on me.
How does that look genuinely uninformed?
If you don't see it now, I doubt I'll be able to convince you tbh. It looks like the kind of thing town comes up with when they're actually trying to find scum. I think scum would be more likely to push easier targets for reasons that are easier to think of.

Where's the duck?
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1456 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1344, Quick wrote:OK, so yesterday I was thinking Ausuka, cheeky, Hop, Nero, and beeboy were all in a hood.
Not sure if anyone's already said this, but... no.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1457 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:18 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1370, Hopkirk wrote:@Toran/Nero: please townread each other.
VOTE: Panoptican
First five Tchill votes are still nice. It gets a bit worse as it goes on.
Hey Tchill, I asked you one question and you didn’t answer it. I dislike it when people don’t answer my questions. (ok Brian)
Thor’s Screen interaction isn’t great.
I’ll sheep Chara/Elli unless it’s on a strong townread.
I do kinda like this vote but I don't see why we need to derail a perfectly good tchill wagon.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1458 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

Post by GreyICE »

Spoiler: BVV post
In post 1451, Brigand Vvulf wrote:
In post 1438, GreyICE wrote: Look, you're town, so I'm going to let you in on the sad thing about these large games. It takes 11 to lynch. There's probably 5 scum, leaving 16 townies. That means if six townies decide to play The Lone Ranger and go off on their own, we would be unable to lynch anyone the scum didn't want us to lynch. In point of fact,
even if the person you are voting is scum
this is true - with 5 scum, there's enough we could split our vote between scumbags and still not get anywhere.

In short, Lone Ranger votes like these rarely accomplish something, even if they happen to land on scum. So try to sell us, or try to work with us. Nero's posts legit aren't great, but something like this isn't really going to sell us. It's a weak vote, that puts no pressure on Nero (because he needs 10 more to get lynched) and doesn't really even have bullet points for him to address (and potentially make himself look scummy). It's effectively a non-post due to game size.

If this was a micro things like this can work, because there's so few people that just putting a vote out there is important, but in a game like this you aren't even 10% of a lynch wagon. So please, lets work together.
I was really hoping we wouldn't resort to cases this game, but

ask and thou shall receive my friend

I just ISO'ed nero again. The issue I see with nero are that A) he's appearing to look active without really contributing anything of value to advance gamestate; B) he likes to dip in discussions that don't produce meaninful results that could then leads to reads; C) instead opting to take a lot of neutral stances then backing away from the discussion. D) There's also the over the top self-awareness, the unnecessary abrasiveness in dismissing scum reads on him, and in general being consioucs and reactive when confronted with the slightest of pressure. (but this could be a playstyle/gimmick so less emphasis on this part)

A.
1. 1105 pre-emptive discrediting while responding accusations
2. responding to ausuka's TR on creature, but offering no original opinion
3. 1258 dismisses the tchill wagon but approaches it from a wierd side angle while responding to grey, offers an unimpressive lurker isn't always scum defense, no opinions on people on the wagon

B.
1. with regard to ausuka's town read on creature
2. with regard to tchill being scum, leaving him a spot to join the wagon later if needed

C.
there are lots of exampes but the one that stood out was in 1090 when he offered an opinion but didn't pursue it any further

D.
1. I was offput by his consious effort to shake off the early SRs on him
2. A major proponent is the back and forth with toranaga with the absurd amount of OMGUS and jumping to the conclusion that tora must be scum, examples of this would be in 1134 where he discredits for seemingly non reason, and in 1248 where he mentions that scum could be sheeping tora with wagons but takes no initiative to spot any names
3. self-awareness re: beeboy 1090
4. responses to cheeky, etc

I'm not necessarily saying full length cases type of thing, I'm more saying a give and take. Like, one of the wagons around here must be on scum. Just mathematically, right? If it's 14:5 or 15:4 (I don't know how gunners are in balance) then almost certainly someone got something right at some point. Reach out to them and offer them support.

Like here, for instance. You are saying that Nero Cain is being hostile and argumentative, but that he's not offering anything of real substance. Like dismissing the Tchill wagon without examining it, either to really see if Tchill was scum, or to see if anyone voting him was scum. Or just throwing out the platitude "scum is on the wagon" without bothering to say who is scum. He's also sensitive to discussions of him without offering much to any other discussion. That's a pretty decent reason to vote him, it's true.

I'd like to toss out there that Tchill has even less substance. Go on, take a look. When I say he's said nothing substantial about anything in the game, it's true. Now I'd be willing to consider a Nero Cain vote, but look at what I said. If I vote NC, then I have to be able to sell townies on moving to NC as well. Otherwise scum get to pick whether they support Tchill or NC, and push the one they want to go through through. And right now I think most of the players voting TChill aren't going to move to a player who is playing like Tchill, but slightly better.

Do you think NC is a better choice for scum than Tchill?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Brigand Vvulf
Brigand Vvulf
Goon
Brigand Vvulf
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1459 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 am

Post by Brigand Vvulf »

yes, I agree that tchill is comparatively more scummy than nero, and the ISOs will faithfully reflect this, but the reason I'm less inclined to lynch tchill is largely due to the fact that it is a low information lynch because few people have had real interactions with him, namely toranaga and you. We can always lynch tchill later on if this doesn't not change but he is a small fish in a large pond
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #1460 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 am

Post by MariaR »

so many...PAGES
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1461 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1392, Hopkirk wrote:poor Ausuka
I think the way centipede handled elli's SR is towny.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1462 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

Post by Ausuka »

I didn't mean to quote that but ok. :P
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1463 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1455, Ausuka wrote:If you don't see it now, I doubt I'll be able to convince you tbh. It looks like the kind of thing town comes up with when they're actually trying to find scum. I think scum would be more likely to push easier targets for reasons that are easier to think of.
I can understand the concept of scum seeking easier fish to fry (though would suggest since I'm gunning for him he's at least slightly obligated to engage).
But how does the 'genuinely uninformed' part play into that idea? They appear to be different things, no?

Did you just mean 'scum wouldn't attack Thor, they'd pick an easier target' when you said 'genuinely uninformed'?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1464 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 1459, Brigand Vvulf wrote:yes, I agree that tchill is comparatively more scummy than nero, and the ISOs will faithfully reflect this, but the reason I'm less inclined to lynch tchill is largely due to the fact that it is a low information lynch because few people have had real interactions with him, namely toranaga and you. We can always lynch tchill later on if this doesn't not change but he is a small fish in a large pond
This is where we run into a philosophical difference. I don't lynch for information, I lynch to kill scum. If Tchill flips scum, then the information I've gathered is "the scumteam is down a member". That's a big disadvantage to be at on day 1. Not insurmountable, but everything gets a little bit harder for them. Easier for power roles to catch them, less members to pull gambits or counterclaim townies, just less wiggle room in general.

Plus I'm not convinced Nero Cain gives us that much information. Unless you're saying tchill is playing so badly his buddies are bussing him for town cred, at which point... eh, I'll take a scum lynch.

If the tchill wagon keeps chugging, would you consider joining? I've seen literally nothing to make me unvote him so far. I'd definitely consider helping you on NC, especially over some of the wagons I consider low quality (Centipede or Brian Skies), the fact that tchill is literally the only serious wagon happening right now does give me pause.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1465 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1463, Thor665 wrote:
In post 1455, Ausuka wrote:If you don't see it now, I doubt I'll be able to convince you tbh. It looks like the kind of thing town comes up with when they're actually trying to find scum. I think scum would be more likely to push easier targets for reasons that are easier to think of.
I can understand the concept of scum seeking easier fish to fry (though would suggest since I'm gunning for him he's at least slightly obligated to engage).
But how does the 'genuinely uninformed' part play into that idea? They appear to be different things, no?

Did you just mean 'scum wouldn't attack Thor, they'd pick an easier target' when you said 'genuinely uninformed'?
No, that's not what I was going for. The case feels like it'd be too overdone if he was scum? Like, I find the idea of scum actually going through your posts and trying to find a narrative like that that's kinda stretchy and not convincing very unlikely.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1466 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 am

Post by Thor665 »

That's what I'd expect scum to do.
I'd expect town to go 'wait a minute, this is over reaching and silly' at some stage.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1467 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 am

Post by GreyICE »

Huh, that's actually reasoning I follow. Not agree with, but follow.
In post 1466, Thor665 wrote:That's what I'd expect scum to do.
I'd expect town to go 'wait a minute, this is over reaching and silly' at some stage.
Eh, confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. I've seen much more made out of much less.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1468 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

Post by Thor665 »

I mean, we can agree that scum *do* go in too deep semi-often right?
Because the only way it's the town tell you're painting it as works is if they don't, or less often than town in a noticeable ratio - are you claiming that?
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #1469 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

Post by Ausuka »

Eh, ok. Personally I'd expect scum to try and find a case that's convincing and would lead to a lynch, not try and make a post like that. Like, it's a lot of effort to put in for a post that basically gives you 0 reward.
In post 1466, Thor665 wrote:I'd expect town to go 'wait a minute, this is over reaching and silly' at some stage.
meh.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1470 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1467, GreyICE wrote:Huh, that's actually reasoning I follow. Not agree with, but follow.
Eh, confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. I've seen much more made out of much less.
Agreed, but when they don't it's a good town tell.
I don't think the reverse is true or arguable.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1471 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1459, Brigand Vvulf wrote:yes, I agree that tchill is comparatively more scummy than nero, and the ISOs will faithfully reflect this, but the reason I'm less inclined to lynch tchill is largely due to the fact that it is a low information lynch because few people have had real interactions with him, namely toranaga and you. We can always lynch tchill later on if this doesn't not change but he is a small fish in a large pond
I think this is all kinds of bad. Its very much lining up lynches/saving Tchill and/or a manipulative post to get ME to vote tchill.

GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1472 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 am

Post by GreyICE »

THAT on the other hand, is a fucking bullshit response. You think Brigand Vvulf is the master manipulator?

Vote: Nero Cain
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1473 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 am

Post by GreyICE »

So Nero, tell me. Did Mastermind Brigand Vvulf intend to:

- Line up a lynch of Tchill into you or you into Tchill?
- Save his scumbuddy Tchill from death?
- Convince you to vote poor innocent townie Tchill in a fit of blatant survivalism?

Inquiring minds wish to know.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1474 (ISO) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1473, GreyICE wrote:So Nero, tell me. Did Mastermind Brigand Vvulf intend to:

- Line up a lynch of Tchill into you or you into Tchill?

- Save his scumbuddy Tchill from death?
- Convince you to vote poor innocent townie Tchill in a fit of blatant survivalism?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”