Newbie 1876 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 24, Formerfish wrote:
In post 22, IcemanCh wrote:
In post 21, Formerfish wrote:Oh you cheeky scumboi you.

I hope you learned your lesson.
I learned to stand my ground more. Don't be in a hurry and don't let people push you into reads.

The meta on this site so far has been difficult to pick up on.
Those are perfect lessons from last game. Town it up in this one like you did there and you'll do well. Or just sheep me and ride my coattails to victory.

And thanks, we were home for a bit and then I took her back because her fever spiked to 104. They looked at her appendix and that was fine, they are testing for strep throat now.
What does ‘town it up’ mean? Pretend to be a townie...?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Post by Formerfish »

I like to think that town it up means to play in such a way that the only logical conclusion is that they are town.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Here's a lesson I learned: don't town read newbies on that basis alone. Everyone's new and everyone expresses different degrees of confidence. If someone's playing VI past the first week, odds are they're a good lynch.

Contribute, make sure people don't observe from the sidelines too much, and think hard about your reads. Take your time with it. We have two weeks and it'd be good to use almost all of it.
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Post by nonny »

In post 24, Formerfish wrote: Town it up in this one like you did there and you'll do well. Or just sheep me and ride my coattails to victory.
This seems a very odd statement. At this stage why would you suggest this unless you already know someone's alignment. Please elaborate. The statement is almost suspicious enough to change my vote but that would put you at L-2 and not sure I want to go there yet.
*insert bad joke here*
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 28, nonny wrote:
In post 24, Formerfish wrote: Town it up in this one like you did there and you'll do well. Or just sheep me and ride my coattails to victory.
This seems a very odd statement. At this stage why would you suggest this unless you already know someone's alignment. Please elaborate. The statement is almost suspicious enough to change my vote but that would put you at L-2 and not sure I want to go there yet.
So its going to be one of those games is it? With newbies try-harding right out of the gate.

Iceman and I just finished a game where we butted heads as tvt. I was killed night 1 and he made it to end game where we lost. He did a very good job of making it seem like he was town, but didnt arouse enough suspicion as one of our prs to get night killed. The ride my coattails comment is mostly a joke, but also if he is town than we could do some good work together, if he is scum and follows my townlead than im still getting the result I want.

You do what you feel you have to with your vote, for some of us all we have is that and our words, right? Think about this though, do you really believe that I am going to scum slip on page 1 day 1 of a newbie game? Do you think that if Iceman was my partner as scum that I would be talking to him like this instead of in our scum pt?

Stop tilting at windmills and let the game progress a bit before making baseless statements like that. Unless youre scum, then by all means push down this path and find out what happens :)
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Another word for try-harding is LAMIST.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 30, GuerillaWoo wrote:Another word for try-harding is LAMIST.
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Post by nonny »

In post 29, Formerfish wrote: You do what you feel you have to with your vote, for some of us all we have is that and our words, right? Think about this though, do you really believe that I am going to scum slip on page 1 day 1 of a newbie game? Do you think that if Iceman was my partner as scum that I would be talking to him like this instead of in our scum pt?

Stop tilting at windmills and let the game progress a bit before making baseless statements like that.
Not exploring avenues just because it's early is an easy way to stall a game. I don't know you enough to know what you may do as scum or town day 1. You could be confidant because you are in a newbie game. You could just talk to talk and not edit for content. It's hard to say. But unless we talk there's no way to figure anything out.
*insert bad joke here*
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Except trinity asked about the same post in #25 and I addressed it already in #26.

And asking a question is different than threatening me with a serious vote on page 2, putting me to l-2 when the first 2 votes were rvs.

To me it looks like you saw that I had the biggest wagon on me, and if you could push an action as scummy to hop on the wagon you might be able to get some traction with it and get an early mislynch.

And dont misrep what I was saying, i have no issue with questions. I have an issue with someone taking an obviously tongue in cheek comment and trying to make it into something its not. Build your straw man somehwere else.
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by nonny »

In post 33, Formerfish wrote:Except trinity asked about the same post in #25 and I addressed it already in #26.

And asking a question is different than threatening me with a serious vote on page 2, putting me to l-2 when the first 2 votes were rvs.

This was more just replying before seeing that we were on page two, thus not seeing Trinity's question nor your reply. Again I'm rusty and getting back into things, including board format. Secondly was explaining/thinking out loud about not throwing a vote around. I don't want random votes and something mildly odd/suspicious to lead to an easy lynch for scum.
In post 33, Formerfish wrote: To me it looks like you saw that I had the biggest wagon on me, and if you could push an action as scummy to hop on the wagon you might be able to get some traction with it and get an early mislynch.

If I wanted it to be a wagon then I would have voted. Instead I noted the number of votes already there and choose to not ramp up a wagon. How is it pushing a wagon by pointing out the wagon and pointing out avoiding it. This would be very backwards thinking.
In post 33, Formerfish wrote:And dont misrep what I was saying, i have no issue with questions. I have an issue with someone taking an obviously tongue in cheek comment and trying to make it into something its not. Build your straw man somehwere else.
I simply said it was odd and warranted more explanation. Obviously I wasn't the only one that thought this either, or else Trinity wouldn't have asked. I do, however, agree it's something that doesn't need further exploring, no need to beat a dead horse.
*insert bad joke here*
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Post by Bins »

Hello, hello!

I am your IC for this game. Which means I'm (supposedly) experienced enough at playing mafia to give you tips and tricks! (Even though Formerfish was in one of my first games on the site... uh... I'm the pro here). Everything you ask me about in-game mechanics and even strategy typically used I will answer to the best of my ability and truthfully.

Jackel's post is absolutely crucial. Please read it and make sure you understand everything on it!

Lynching occurs when a player is hammered with the needed amount of votes.
This is 5 on day one.
If you hammer, it CANNOT BE UNDONE. Normally intent is given as well before the last vote is cast, as to give everyone a proper chance to check in and say what they want to say. It also gives the player getting lynch a chance to beg for mercy and claim. Quickhammering is usually considered anti-town, especially without a claim from the person getting lynched.

That said, please don't claim unless it is necessary! Hidden information is valuable to town and good to keep away from scum.
And 99.999999% of the time,
DO NOT FAKECLAIM AS TOWN
, even when you're about to get lynched. You can do this all you want as scum, it might even be beneficial. But lying about your role as town when you're about to get lynched is bad. You may think at the time it's good to save yourself, but you might draw out a
counter-claim
from the real powerrole and that is not good for scum to know.

Having fun and keeping a good mentality are also important. If you're getting pushed and voted as town or scum, don't fret! It can be stressful no matter you alignment. This is your chance to prove yourself and keeping a level head will benefit you no matter which side you're playing for. Just remember to stay active (physically, as well!) and check in on the game at least once a day. Activity keeps the game fun and also keeps information coming in, which is good for town. Lurking as either alignment is very bad for your win-condition.

Some alignment specific advice:
Spoiler:
As town - Don't worry if you're wrong and don't be scared to push some things! Your gut is a powerful tool and if you notice something out of place, drop a vote down and explain why. The most common way newbies are fooled is because they tend to townread people who are active and making longer posts. SCUM CAN DO THIS! High activity and giving reads is NOT A TOWN TELL. Many games are lost to hyperactive scum who seem pro-town. Town can lurk and scum can lead, it's all part of the game and trying to figure out who is really who is town's main job.

As scum - Think as if you're town. What would you say right now? Constantly being involved in the game is key to winning. If you lurk, you're going to get called out. If you don't give reads, you're going to get called out. Make sure to actually gain a grasp of the game. Be proactive. Try to pretend you know nothing and scumhunt from that point of view. Remember, you know more than the town does because you know everyone's alignment! Don't play as if this is the case.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Post by Bins »

Also. My avatar is because I lost a bet. I normally have a pretty, super cute avatar. Please picture me that way (I am a girl :oops:)!

On to game stuff:

VOTE: nonny

gtkas
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 33, Formerfish wrote:Except trinity asked about the same post in #25 and I addressed it already in #26.

To me it looks like you saw that I had the biggest wagon on me, and if you could push an action as scummy to hop on the wagon you might be able to get some traction with it and get an early mislynch.

And dont misrep what I was saying, i have no issue with questions. I have an issue with someone taking an obviously tongue in cheek comment and trying to make it into something its not. Build your straw man somehwere else.
I know I’m new at this, but it does look like there are a couple of ways to read your posts, which are sounding a bit defensive:

(1) You are town and worried about being mislynched.
(2) You are scum and trying to misdirect so that you don’t get lynched.

Maybe I’m being too simplistic, but isn’t it part of the game that we should poke and prod a bit, to try to get a reaction, and see what comes out?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 37, TrinityNZ wrote:

I know I’m new at this, but it does look like there are a couple of ways to read your posts, which are sounding a bit defensive:

(1) You are town and worried about being mislynched.
(2) You are scum and trying to misdirect so that you don’t get lynched.

Maybe I’m being too simplistic, but isn’t it part of the game that we should poke and prod a bit, to try to get a reaction, and see what comes out?
Look at the way you asked your question and how I responded vs. how nonny phrased their post and what my reply was.

You asked a simple question that you wanted clarification on. To me it seemed like nonny picked what should have been an innocuous statement from me and tried to use it to justify a serious vote.

Those two scenarios are very different, which is why my response to you two were different.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

Hi, off topic, but any ideas on how to add an avatar? Either the image size is too big, or the URL is too long, for the ones I’ve tried. I read on another forum that it’s considered to be good form to have an avatar, so I’m trying!
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Post by Jackal711 »

VOTE COUNT 1.1

TrinityNZ (1) - GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo (1) - TrinityNZ
2 718281828459 (1) - nonny
KittyE64 (0) -
IcemanCh (1) - Formerfish
nonny (2) - 2 718281828459, Bins
Formerfish (1) - brassherald
brassherald (0) -
Bins (0) -

Not Voting: KittyE64, IcemanCh

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Day 1 deadline is Sunday, July 1st at 11:15 am PDT which is in
(expired on 2018-07-01 11:15:00)
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Post by brassherald »

I'm fine with putting a wagon to L-2 this early.

Early read, this is sus.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

Hi Bins
I have a question about what the little Q+ button does? I pressed it to see what it did, and it changed colour so now I’m worried I’ve done something I shouldn’t! :)
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Guys, this bit of advice I'm gonna give is super important: BE HONEST ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES. Don't rationalize around them. Don't justify them. Look at your behavior honestly and critically, especially in how it'll appear to both town and scum. It's more important that you let town players know this than it is to win an argument.

I have half a mind to vote nonny cuz of those two posts up there.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 am

Post by Bins »

In post 39, TrinityNZ wrote:Hi, off topic, but any ideas on how to add an avatar? Either the image size is too big, or the URL is too long, for the ones I’ve tried. I read on another forum that it’s considered to be good form to have an avatar, so I’m trying!
The avatar you add must be presized to 100x100! But yes, having an avatar is good.

In post 42, TrinityNZ wrote:Hi Bins
I have a question about what the little Q+ button does? I pressed it to see what it did, and it changed colour so now I’m worried I’ve done something I shouldn’t! :)
If you hit Q+ on posts and then "PREVIEW" (instead of just submit), you will quote all the posts. For example, I used Q+ to make this post.

gtkas
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 am

Post by Bins »

In post 41, brassherald wrote:I'm fine with putting a wagon to L-2 this early.

Early read, this is sus.
Sus, why?

I voted nonny for a reason too, but it was more just tonal. Anything in particular?

gtkas
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 45, Bins wrote:
In post 41, brassherald wrote:I'm fine with putting a wagon to L-2 this early.

Early read, this is sus.
Sus, why?

I voted nonny for a reason too, but it was more just tonal. Anything in particular?
I never trust people who very early on throw shade at someone and then claim they don't want to vote them because of the vote count. It looks like a way for scum to test the waters and see if a wagon will stick without actually joining the wagon.

I don't trust that sort of play.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:46 am

Post by IcemanCh »

In post 39, TrinityNZ wrote:Hi, off topic, but any ideas on how to add an avatar? Either the image size is too big, or the URL is too long, for the ones I’ve tried. I read on another forum that it’s considered to be good form to have an avatar, so I’m trying!
I used a website to trim down the picture to the correct size. Try this... it's the first one I found on the google. I don't remember the actual one I used.

http://www.picresize.com/
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

In post 19, Formerfish wrote:
In post 18, 2 718281828459 wrote:Yeah, so

Code: Select all

[vote]person1[/vote]

will do
VOTE: person1

Similarly the

Code: Select all

[unvote]person1[/unvote]
will do UNVOTE: person1. Sometimes we just do UNVOTE: so it is not confused for a vote.

I would like to make it clear that I still VOTE: nonny.
Why are you making sure that we know you are still randomly voting someone?
Because I was also using a whole bunch of unvote and vote tags, and I wanted to clear any misconceptions in the vote count by a mod who make merely skim for vote tags.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:55 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

OK, so...

All right. We have friction between nonny and Formerfish. I want to scumread nonny except that it is reminding me of my last game (1872, especially in day 3).
However this is NOT day 3, this is day 1.

I still want to keep my vote on nonny. This could be a mislynch, but we can afford 2 mislynches, so...

Would you like to defend yourself or claim a power role?
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”