Newbie 1876 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 am

Post by IcemanCh »

In post 49, 2 718281828459 wrote:OK, so...

All right. We have friction between nonny and Formerfish. I want to scumread nonny except that it is reminding me of my last game (1872, especially in day 3).
However this is NOT day 3, this is day 1.

I still want to keep my vote on nonny. This could be a mislynch, but we can afford 2 mislynches, so...

Would you like to defend yourself or claim a power role?
Wait... wot.... no..... You don't ask for claim at L-2. You also don't vote for people on the idea that town can "afford" it. You're basically opening up for a mislynch in such a way that you can say "lol opps" tomorrow and have no consequences. This is scummy.

VOTE: E2.7
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 am

Post by nonny »

In post 46, brassherald wrote:
In post 45, Bins wrote:
In post 41, brassherald wrote:I'm fine with putting a wagon to L-2 this early.

VOTE: nonny

Early read, this is sus.
Sus, why?

I voted nonny for a reason too, but it was more just tonal. Anything in particular?
I never trust people who very early on throw shade at someone and then claim they don't want to vote them because of the vote count. It looks like a way for scum to test the waters and see if a wagon will stick without actually joining the wagon.

I don't trust that sort of play.
I've already clearly stated that I found it odd but not odd enough to vote. I see how my statement came across as threatening, which it was not intended that way, talking about the vote was more thinking out loud which I should have just kept to myself, apparently.
2 718281828459 wrote:I still want to keep my vote on nonny. This could be a mislynch, but we can afford 2 mislynches, so...

I don't see why you would want to risk a mislynch day 1, or atleast this early when we still have over 10days until the deadline and not even all the players are active. Closing the day early would not benefit us as town. Also, same reason why claiming power role this early and day one is silly. There is no guaranteed protection and all that would do is get me killed by scum at night, meaning either way I don't make it to day 2. Not a benefit to the town.
Bins wrote:Lynching occurs when a player is hammered with the needed amount of votes.
This is 5 on day one.
If you hammer, it CANNOT BE UNDONE. Normally intent is given as well before the last vote is cast, as to give everyone a proper chance to check in and say what they want to say. It also gives the player getting lynch a chance to beg for mercy and claim. Quickhammering is usually considered anti-town, especially without a claim from the person getting lynched.

That said, please don't claim unless it is necessary! Hidden information is valuable to town and good to keep away from scum.
And 99.999999% of the time,
DO NOT FAKECLAIM AS TOWN
, even when you're about to get lynched. You can do this all you want as scum, it might even be beneficial. But lying about your role as town when you're about to get lynched is bad. You may think at the time it's good to save yourself, but you might draw out a
counter-claim
from the real powerrole and that is not good for scum to know.

Having fun and keeping a good mentality are also important. If you're getting pushed and voted as town or scum, don't fret! It can be stressful no matter you alignment. This is your chance to prove yourself and keeping a level head will benefit you no matter which side you're playing for. Just remember to stay active (physically, as well!) and check in on the game at least once a day. Activity keeps the game fun and also keeps information coming in, which is good for town. Lurking as either alignment is very bad for your win-condition.

Some alignment specific advice:
Spoiler:
As town - Don't worry if you're wrong and don't be scared to push some things! Your gut is a powerful tool and if you notice something out of place, drop a vote down and explain why. The most common way newbies are fooled is because they tend to townread people who are active and making longer posts. SCUM CAN DO THIS! High activity and giving reads is NOT A TOWN TELL. Many games are lost to hyperactive scum who seem pro-town. Town can lurk and scum can lead, it's all part of the game and trying to figure out who is really who is town's main job.

As scum - Think as if you're town. What would you say right now? Constantly being involved in the game is key to winning. If you lurk, you're going to get called out. If you don't give reads, you're going to get called out. Make sure to actually gain a grasp of the game. Be proactive. Try to pretend you know nothing and scumhunt from that point of view. Remember, you know more than the town does because you know everyone's alignment! Don't play as if this is the case.
Maybe you didn't read his post, but I did. Claiming my role would be a last resort.
GuerillaWoo wrote:Guys, this bit of advice I'm gonna give is super important: BE HONEST ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES. Don't rationalize around them. Don't justify them. Look at your behavior honestly and critically, especially in how it'll appear to both town and scum. It's more important that you let town players know this than it is to win an argument.

I have half a mind to vote nonny cuz of those two posts up there.
I did admit my mistake on not seeing we were on page two, which honestly may have avoided all of this. I did not think I was arguing however, was I coming off as argumentative in my previous posts? Tone is so hard on text based forum, I felt I was explaining my thinking and actions.
*insert bad joke here*
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 am

Post by brassherald »

All right. We have friction between nonny and Formerfish. I want to scumread nonny except that it is reminding me of my last game (1872, especially in day 3).

I still want to keep my vote on nonny. This could be a mislynch, but we can afford 2 mislynches, so...

Yuck.

UNVOTE:

Now I need to decide which of these two is scum and which is newbtown that is just throwing off my scum hunting ability.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:13 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Nonny I'm tone reading you as guarded and defensive.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:17 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

I would honestly policy lynch 2.7's mindset
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 am

Post by Bins »

In post 51, nonny wrote:Maybe you didn't read his post, but I did. Claiming my role would be a last resort.
I just find it kind of ironic that in my next post I clarify that I'm female and yet you got it wrong. It doesn't bug me, but it speaks to you actually reading my posts or not...

While nUmBeRs post was pretty funny, I'm not sure if it's scum. I mean... just think... what scum really goes "Hey, so, like, claim now, please?".
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:05 am

Post by Bins »

In post 54, GuerillaWoo wrote:I would honestly policy lynch 2.7's mindset
I wouldn't really call it a mindset. And it's definitely not worth policy lynching.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

Hmmm...

OK, I messed up on the protocol regarding defense and claim. (I think there are a bit too many of these "soft protocols", but that is for another time.)
I seem to have a problem with getting across my intent here (similar things happened last game).

Let me rephrase my post to possibly better match what I actually
MEANT
to communicate.

What I wish I wrote:OK, so...

I still want to keep my vote on nonny. I mean, you cannot be sure of anything right now, but day 1 is always hard to get a correct lynch on. But nonny is my prime suspect for right now.
(Not as much any more.)

How do you defend yourself?
(I see the defense, and understand a bit better now. I definitely see how the PR thing was wrong of me to do.)

Moving forward... UNVOTE: for now just because I want to step back for a while and analyze the situation. It is hard to say "day 1 is always tough for me" after so little experience but I also know that lurking (the most obvious way around this kind of difficulty) is also a scum read.

Are we out of random vote stage yet?
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

(I want to mention that I made post 57 without knowledge of 55 and 56. I skipped the "other posts were written" part, but decided after submitting that it may be better to let you guys know the context of 57.)
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 am

Post by brassherald »

Talking about a PL this early is pretty stupid. I dislike most PLs as a rule of thumb, but, even disregarding that, we had 5 posts from Numbers McInteger and I haven't even seen enough to think for a moment that he will be a liability should we get to LYLO.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am

Post by brassherald »

VOTE: nonny

Upon further consideration, I'll go back on this. Same reasons as before.

Bins can have admission into my town slotting place for the time being. GuerillaWoo can have admission into my lynchpool.

WOOT!!! EARLY READS!
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

What does that mean?
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

In post 56, Bins wrote:
In post 54, GuerillaWoo wrote:I would honestly policy lynch 2.7's mindset
I wouldn't really call it a mindset. And it's definitely not worth policy lynching.
We lynch two townies the first two days, we're now at lylo. His mindset, which is "misslynching now is fine because we have time", becomes a defense. It was all well and good. He's already blending into the background, it is a detriment to town.

I didn't read it as "I wanna misslynch people, oops scumslip". It's the preemptive distancing from bad decisions followed by reaffirming his vote for a player that can't really be read yet. Nonny is objectively null rn and we all know it.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 61, GuerillaWoo wrote:What does that mean?
What don't you get? I feel like my post was pretty self explanatory.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Admission into town slotting and lynchpool. Does that mean "I read you as town and scum" or what
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 am

Post by brassherald »

Yes
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am

Post by IcemanCh »

How much are you charging for admission and are there door prizes?
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

Post by TrinityNZ »

UNVOTE: GuerillaWoo

VOTE: brassherald

I don’t understand his (sorry can’t check gender atm) posts either! So maybe they are meant to mislead or confuse the newbies?

No idea if this is a valid reason for voting and unvoting but I’m sure someone will let me know if not :)

Thanks for the replies to my queries. I’m just heading in to my working day so will try to fix the avatar tonight.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 am

Post by brassherald »

Seriously?

I am saying Bins is town, GuerillaWoo is a scum lean.

It's really simple sorting of slots.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:29 am

Post by brassherald »

Lynchpool are the people you are willing to lynch, so, scum reads, because only an idiot would lynch a town read.

Is this getting too advanced?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 27, GuerillaWoo wrote:Here's a lesson I learned: don't town read newbies on that basis alone. Everyone's new and everyone expresses different degrees of confidence. If someone's playing VI past the first week, odds are they're a good lynch.

Contribute, make sure people don't observe from the sidelines too much, and think hard about your reads. Take your time with it. We have two weeks and it'd be good to use almost all of it.
In post 30, GuerillaWoo wrote:Another word for try-harding is LAMIST.
In post 43, GuerillaWoo wrote:Guys, this bit of advice I'm gonna give is super important: BE HONEST ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES. Don't rationalize around them. Don't justify them. Look at your behavior honestly and critically, especially in how it'll appear to both town and scum. It's more important that you let town players know this than it is to win an argument.

I have half a mind to vote nonny cuz of those two posts up there.
Why are you talking about game theory so much? And as a newbie. See this looks a lot like someone trying to make it seem like they are posting things, without ever actually saying anything.

You almost seem to throw some shade at the end of that last post towards nonny. What do you see in the 2 posts you mentioned that is a mistake that they aren't owning up to? Why do you think that you see something there in a more serious way than I do? You would think that if anyone had a problem with what they posted and was going to throw a vote that way it would be me, but I haven't even talked about that yet.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 48, 2 718281828459 wrote:
In post 19, Formerfish wrote:
In post 18, 2 718281828459 wrote:Yeah, so

Code: Select all

[vote]person1[/vote]

will do
VOTE: person1

Similarly the

Code: Select all

[unvote]person1[/unvote]
will do UNVOTE: person1. Sometimes we just do UNVOTE: so it is not confused for a vote.

I would like to make it clear that I still VOTE: nonny.
Why are you making sure that we know you are still randomly voting someone?
Because I was also using a whole bunch of unvote and vote tags, and I wanted to clear any misconceptions in the vote count by a mod who make merely skim for vote tags.
No, no. I get that part, my question is why you are so concerned about an RVS vote being counted correctly?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 am

Post by Formerfish »

Holy shit this is ugly.

Friction is fine, and just because there is friction doesn't make one of us scum.

You voted nonny as an rvs vote, but now it seems like you are making it a legit one, why? And if you really think it might be a mislynch, why keep it there? Yes we get a few built into the game, but do you really want to potentially use one on day 1 from something you think you gleaned from like a 4 post back and forth?

And the whole "defend yourself or claim a PR" is just disgusting and reeks of role fishing, especially when its said this early on, and without much steam behind the wagon.

VOTE: 2.8

and this vote is very real.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 55, Bins wrote:
In post 51, nonny wrote:Maybe you didn't read his post, but I did. Claiming my role would be a last resort.
I just find it kind of ironic that in my next post I clarify that I'm female and yet you got it wrong. It doesn't bug me, but it speaks to you actually reading my posts or not...

While nUmBeRs post was pretty funny, I'm not sure if it's scum. I mean... just think... what scum really goes "Hey, so, like, claim now, please?".
Bins have you played with 2.8 yet? I just got done with a game he was in and he is a newb through and through, but he didnt have this set of balls in that game at all.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 68, brassherald wrote:Seriously?

I am saying Bins is town, GuerillaWoo is a scum lean.

It's really simple sorting of slots.
In post 69, brassherald wrote:Lynchpool are the people you are willing to lynch, so, scum reads, because only an idiot would lynch a town read.

Is this getting too advanced?
I like brass, sounds a lot like myself when im annoyed at people in the game.

I like Iceman so far as well, the joke about door prizes seems relaxed and town to me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”