Newbie 1876 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am

Post by Jackal711 »

VOTE COUNT 1.2

TrinityNZ (1) - GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo (0) -
2 718281828459 (3) - nonny, IcemanCh, Formerfish
KittyE64 (0) -
IcemanCh (0) -
nonny (2) - Bins, brassherald
Formerfish (0) -
brassherald (1) - TrinityNZ
Bins (0) -

Not Voting: KittyE64, 2 718281828459

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Day 1 deadline is Sunday, July 1st at 11:15 am PDT which is in
(expired on 2018-07-01 11:15:00)
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Post by nonny »

In post 55, Bins wrote:
In post 51, nonny wrote:Maybe you didn't read his post, but I did. Claiming my role would be a last resort.
I just find it kind of ironic that in my next post I clarify that I'm female and yet you got it wrong. It doesn't bug me, but it speaks to you actually reading my posts or not...
You're right, my bad Bins. I'm notoriously bad at gender, usually try to avoid it. Going back through from the reply page doesn't show avatars or gender :(
GuerillaWoo wrote:Nonny I'm tone reading you as guarded and defensive.
I could see that. Not sure how to change it, but thank you for answering my question. I'm probably taking everything too seriously, I'll try to lighten up. Downside to be a perfectionist :roll:
*insert bad joke here*
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Aight, verb threw me off. Anyway, you think I'm nonny's scum partner cuz you don't like policy lynches. Despite my casting shade at her tone. Like I'm gonna bus on page two then talk about another player's sketchy post to establish associatives? In case I'm D1 lynched when this is the first time someone's mentioned me by name outside of RVS?

Try again.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Post by brassherald »

I think your posts are independently scummy and I do not see a reason to start looking at associative interactions until I know someone's alignment.

I'm not guessing the scum team right now, I'm not so good at scumhunting that I'm going to be right on my reads 100% of the time and I know it, I'm trying to sort people into scummy and not scummy.

You fall under scummy.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Post by GuerillaWoo »

You misread that. But good to know that I'm on your list? Nothing I can help you with bud. And I don't wanna do a D1 post-RVS back and forth tunnel again, so lemme know if you have some new info for me to answer.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 79, GuerillaWoo wrote:You misread that. But good to know that I'm on your list? Nothing I can help you with bud. And I don't wanna do a D1 post-RVS back and forth tunnel again, so lemme know if you have some new info for me to answer.
You could answer my questions towards you. I know it was probably hard to find, it was like 5 after the one from brass, I should do a better job to make them visable for you.
In post 70, Formerfish wrote:
In post 27, GuerillaWoo wrote:Here's a lesson I learned: don't town read newbies on that basis alone. Everyone's new and everyone expresses different degrees of confidence. If someone's playing VI past the first week, odds are they're a good lynch.

Contribute, make sure people don't observe from the sidelines too much, and think hard about your reads. Take your time with it. We have two weeks and it'd be good to use almost all of it.
In post 30, GuerillaWoo wrote:Another word for try-harding is LAMIST.
In post 43, GuerillaWoo wrote:Guys, this bit of advice I'm gonna give is super important: BE HONEST ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES. Don't rationalize around them. Don't justify them. Look at your behavior honestly and critically, especially in how it'll appear to both town and scum. It's more important that you let town players know this than it is to win an argument.

I have half a mind to vote nonny cuz of those two posts up there.
Why are you talking about game theory so much? And as a newbie. See this looks a lot like someone trying to make it seem like they are posting things, without ever actually saying anything.

You almost seem to throw some shade at the end of that last post towards nonny. What do you see in the 2 posts you mentioned that is a mistake that they aren't owning up to? Why do you think that you see something there in a more serious way than I do? You would think that if anyone had a problem with what they posted and was going to throw a vote that way it would be me, but I haven't even talked about that yet.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Post by GuerillaWoo »

In post 70, Formerfish wrote:
In post 27, GuerillaWoo wrote:Here's a lesson I learned: don't town read newbies on that basis alone. Everyone's new and everyone expresses different degrees of confidence. If someone's playing VI past the first week, odds are they're a good lynch.

Contribute, make sure people don't observe from the sidelines too much, and think hard about your reads. Take your time with it. We have two weeks and it'd be good to use almost all of it.
In post 30, GuerillaWoo wrote:Another word for try-harding is LAMIST.
In post 43, GuerillaWoo wrote:Guys, this bit of advice I'm gonna give is super important: BE HONEST ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES. Don't rationalize around them. Don't justify them. Look at your behavior honestly and critically, especially in how it'll appear to both town and scum. It's more important that you let town players know this than it is to win an argument.

I have half a mind to vote nonny cuz of those two posts up there.
1) Why are you talking about game theory so much? 2) And as a newbie. 3) See this looks a lot like someone trying to make it seem like they are posting things, without ever actually saying anything.

4) You almost seem to throw some shade at the end of that last post towards nonny. What do you see in the 2 posts you mentioned that is a mistake that they aren't owning up to? 5) Why do you think that you see something there in a more serious way than I do? 6) You would think that if anyone had a problem with what they posted and was going to throw a vote that way it would be me, but I haven't even talked about that yet.
1) Those are part of my first five posts. There is nothing of substance one can offer in RVS.
2) My being a newbie means I shouldn't be able to understand game theory? I acknowledge that I'm inexperienced, but I don't think it's bad form to offer advice. You don't have to listen to me.
3) It was RVS.
4) She either willfully or unintentionally read scumminess into a blatant joke. I've seen it happen before from town, though.
5) Uh what. Is this an ego thing rn, cuz like I barely know you and I'm not interested.
6) Two people can behave independently. I wasn't defending you.

I gotta say your tone reads as purposefully aggravating as an attempt to pressure me to see what shakes. That can go lamist or earnestly town. But it is not helpful to town at all. My concern is you're gonna start jumping between read to read with this overeager pressure and dominate the thread.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Post by 2 718281828459 »

In post 71, Formerfish wrote:No, no. I get that part, my question is why you are so concerned about an RVS vote being counted correctly?
Because it could make the bandwagons harder to count? (Remember that nonny had 3 votes at one point...) Well, I later un-voted.

In post 72, Formerfish wrote:
In post 49, 2 718281828459 wrote: Friction is fine, and just because there is friction doesn't make one of us scum.
I know that friction =/> scum, and I wrote that albeit indirectly.
You voted nonny as an rvs vote, but now it seems like you are making it a legit one, why? And if you really think it might be a mislynch, why keep it there? Yes we get a few built into the game, but do you really want to potentially use one on day 1 from something you think you gleaned from like a 4 post back and forth?
I wrote a second post (57) that softens 49 quite a bit. 49 was just a failure to communicate combined with a slip of protocol.
And the whole "defend yourself or claim a PR" is just disgusting and reeks of role fishing, especially when its said this early on, and without much steam behind the wagon.
My bad, just forgot about the protocol there. Again, see post 57.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

Not much happening, so maybe it’s time for another dumbe question. Some of you have mentioned post numbers, but these numbers don’t match up with the numbers on my board - maybe because I’m viewing posts in descending order. Any ideas on how I can find a post if all I have is the number?
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 83, TrinityNZ wrote:Not much happening, so maybe it’s time for another dumbe question. Some of you have mentioned post numbers, but these numbers don’t match up with the numbers on my board - maybe because I’m viewing posts in descending order. Any ideas on how I can find a post if all I have is the number?
Change to ascending? (Go to user control panel> board preference>display options)

Woo and 2.8 I'll get to your posts later. I'm sleepy now.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Post by Bins »

In post 73, Formerfish wrote:
In post 55, Bins wrote:
In post 51, nonny wrote:Maybe you didn't read his post, but I did. Claiming my role would be a last resort.
I just find it kind of ironic that in my next post I clarify that I'm female and yet you got it wrong. It doesn't bug me, but it speaks to you actually reading my posts or not...

While nUmBeRs post was pretty funny, I'm not sure if it's scum. I mean... just think... what scum really goes "Hey, so, like, claim now, please?".
Bins have you played with 2.8 yet? I just got done with a game he was in and he is a newb through and through, but he didnt have this set of balls in that game at all.
I can see him hitting puberty from his first game to his second game. I don't really like how you're voting him even after his explanation leads me to believe this is more just a communication/awkwardness thing. I'm STILL not sure if it's scum, but I'm more just getting the vibe that he's a newb.

I'll read his first game, though.
In post 83, TrinityNZ wrote:Not much happening, so maybe it’s time for another dumbe question. Some of you have mentioned post numbers, but these numbers don’t match up with the numbers on my board - maybe because I’m viewing posts in descending order. Any ideas on how I can find a post if all I have is the number?
A lot is happening and here to comment on. For example, what do you think about E (numbers)? Do you have any feels towards the people pushing him for his post?

I'm not sure what's wrong with you post numbers though. Where does it take you when you click this: ?
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 85, Bins wrote:
In post 73, Formerfish wrote:
In post 55, Bins wrote:

While nUmBeRs post was pretty funny, I'm not sure if it's scum. I mean... just think... what scum really goes "Hey, so, like, claim now, please?".
Bins have you played with 2.8 yet? I just got done with a game he was in and he is a newb through and through, but he didnt have this set of balls in that game at all.
I can see him hitting puberty from his first game to his second game. I don't really like how you're voting him even after his explanation leads me to believe this is more just a communication/awkwardness thing. I'm STILL not sure if it's scum, but I'm more just getting the vibe that he's a newb.

I'll read his first game, though.
A lot is happening and here to comment on. For example, what do you think about E (numbers)? Do you have any feels towards the people pushing him for his post?

I'm not sure what's wrong with you post numbers though. Where does it take you when you click this: ?
That takes me right back to post number 1. I could change to Ascending, rather than Descending, but I do like the latest posts being on the first page, rather than the last.

I’m inclined to agree with you about E and think that some of the others are being a bit harsher than I expected in a newbie game, but maybe that’s a tactic. And at least he’s making an effort. Some people haven’t had much to say at all, which makes me wonder why...
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 76, nonny wrote:
In post 55, Bins wrote:
You're right, my bad Bins. I'm notoriously bad at gender, usually try to avoid it. Going back through from the reply page doesn't show avatars or gender :(
GuerillaWoo wrote:Nonny I'm tone reading you as guarded and defensive.
I could see that. Not sure how to change it, but thank you for answering my question. I'm probably taking everything too seriously, I'll try to lighten up. Downside to be a perfectionist :roll:
In what way are you a perfectionist nonny?
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 68, brassherald wrote:Seriously?

I am saying Bins is town, GuerillaWoo is a scum lean.

It's really simple sorting of slots.
Why do you think Bins is town?
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 am

Post by Jackal711 »

Seeking a replacement for
KittyE64
who has still not picked up their Role PM.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

I want to wait and see how the replacement acts before doing anything else here, unless something major happens among the other 8 of us.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am

Post by IcemanCh »

In post 90, 2 718281828459 wrote:I want to wait and see how the replacement acts before doing anything else here, unless something major happens among the other 8 of us.
So far who pings you as scum?
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

I guess I will break from my plan (of not doing anything until the replacement posts) because I was asked a direct question.
In post 91, IcemanCh wrote:So far who pings you as scum?
I mean... I still have a little bit of lean on nonny = Scum, although not as strongly as before.
I also lean slightly towards Formerfish = Scum and Guerilla = Town, but those are intuition, not based on anything concrete.
(Fish because 72 repeats attacks on my post 49 even though I wrote 57 before Fish wrote 72... but this could just be not even seeing 57.)
I still want to hear from Kitty64's replacement.
No one else stands out.

UNVOTE: , because doing a random vote at this point seems like Incorrect Protocol.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
GuerillaWoo
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
GuerillaWoo
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am

Post by GuerillaWoo »

Can you describe what intuits to you that I'm town? I feel like I haven't actually said anything AI.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 88, TrinityNZ wrote:

She's been open about her thought process, has been posing the question, then giving a response to whether somewhat scummy actions are scum motivated rather than let people like me (paranoid jerks) just run with what may be a mislynch.

If she's not town, she's doing a heck of a job hiding it right now.

By way of a side note, even if I thought she was scummy, I would not be advocating for her lynch since I am past pushing for a day 1 lynch of ICs. I'd need to look into the numbers of it, but I don't know that the IC slot of a newbie game has ever been lynched day 1. This is mostly trivia to talk about since it is irrelevant here.

Trinity is also townlean, good questions.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:40 am

Post by IcemanCh »

In post 94, brassherald wrote:

She's been open about her thought process, has been posing the question, then giving a response to whether somewhat scummy actions are scum motivated rather than let people like me (paranoid jerks) just run with what may be a mislynch.

By way of a side note, even if I thought she was scummy, I would not be advocating for her lynch since I am past pushing for a day 1 lynch of ICs. I'd need to look into the numbers of it, but I don't know that the IC slot of a newbie game has ever been lynched day 1. This is mostly trivia to talk about since it is irrelevant here.

MathDino got lynched D1 of the last game I was in. FormerFish and E2.7 were in that game.

I also recall the first IC I played with saying that most ICs get lynched D1.

To me lynching ICs can be a valid tactic. An IC as scum is way more dangerous then town. It's easier for a scum!IC to come off as town since the new players are semi looking at the IC as a mentor.

That being said I don't see anything so far that would make the current IC seem scummy.
IcemanCh
IcemanCh
Goon
IcemanCh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:40 am

Post by IcemanCh »

In post 94, brassherald wrote:

MathDino got lynched D1 of the last game I was in. FormerFish and E2.7 were in that game.

I also recall the first IC I played with saying that most ICs get lynched D1.

To me lynching ICs can be a valid tactic. An IC as scum is way more dangerous then town. It's easier for a scum!IC to come off as town since the new players are semi looking at the IC as a mentor.

That being said I don't see anything so far that would make the current IC seem scummy.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Post by Jackal711 »

In post 89, Jackal711 wrote:
Seeking a replacement for
KittyE64
who has still not picked up their Role PM.
Skygazer
fills the slot. Please welcome her to the game.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Post by 2 718281828459 »

I wish that there was a designated person who had an IC-like role but was not playing, therefore you could ask questions that might reveal your role ("So I found 2 townies as Cop, should I reveal now or later?" or "Should I, as scum, pretend to be a Tracker to try and win this LyLo?") without compromising the game.

Guerilla: I have little to go on, but so far I just have liked a more calm and inquisitive tone. Again, this is not strong enough to say "let's lynch anyone who votes for Guerilla" but I was asked for reads and I gave my best guesses.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Post by Skygazer »

Hello all, thank you for what I can only assume will be a very warm welcome.
In post 92, 2 718281828459 wrote:I mean... I still have a little bit of lean on nonny = Scum, although not as strongly as before..
Why is that?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”