Newbie 1881 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 964, Eragon wrote:im not sure if it would be against the rules to talk about?
In post 965, Eragon wrote:its ongoing but im dead
This thread gives a detailed explanation about what is/is not acceptable with regards to discussion of ongoing games on this site. If you have any questions or are unsure please ask me privately before posting.

Votecount 1.16
OkaPoka (2) -
TrinityNZ, IcemanCh
Eragon (2) -
WhyMafia, nancy
Formerfish (1) -
Quick
TrinityNZ (1) -
OkaPoka
Quick (1) -
Formerfish
WhyMafia (1) -
Flicker

Not Voting (1) -
Eragon

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2018-07-23 11:49:57).
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 831, OkaPoka wrote:TRINITY! I need some quotes in which you think I've made some bad responses to some questions posed by others that you find so horrible. I also want you to go in detail why my case on you is weak.
I’m not one for a lot of detail, but I’ll try once I get through the 7 pages of posts that I have to read!
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 839, WhyMafia wrote:
In post 804, TrinityNZ wrote:
In post 757, WhyMafia wrote:Trinity I'm more stuck on - I would like more content from her - for now I guess she's null
What sort of content would you like to see from me?
In post 804, TrinityNZ wrote:
In post 757, WhyMafia wrote:Trinity I'm more stuck on - I would like more content from her - for now I guess she's null
What sort of content would you like to see from me?
Hmm. Can you elaborate on your switch from FF? What specifically caused you to slowly change your mind about FF? What are some other general observations you made about slots? Individually I like your posts. However, I in the grand scheme, you seem to be ... kinda aimless? I don't see you doing anything meaningful per say. I don't see your thirst to figure out if your SR on Oka is correct. I guess ... I don't see your motivations, if that makes sense? Because you're active on the thread, but I don't see you stirring up the pot.
With FF, it was just when I did an iso, and read though all of his posts together, that I realised that I hadn’t noticed his posts properly. I think I’d just noticed the posts he’d directed at me, and the ones directed at others didn’t sink in as much for some reason. So I don’t think I slowly changed my mind, it was a growing sense as I read the iso.

I am trying to contribute as best I can, and believe me, I am frustrated that I can’t seem to find the right way to do it and am coming under criticism. I’m a person who makes quick decisions, and am not always the best at explaining them. I’m also impatient. I have felt like my SR on Oka is correct, and just wanted to get the voting out of the way to see if I’m right.

The longer the game goes on, the more I can see the value in all of this discussion before N1, as what people say here will be used against them in future days, and I’m looking forward to that, and hopefully can do some good pot stirring then!
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 845, Formerfish wrote:
In post 765, TrinityNZ wrote:Town is on to you.
I think its the comments like this that come off as desperate to me. Like someone trying to fit in based off 80's information. Like it seems legit, but something is off about it.
FF, this was just me trying to be funny. I guess it failed.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 853, Formerfish wrote:
In post 799, TrinityNZ wrote:
In post 718, Formerfish wrote:
In post 666, TrinityNZ wrote:
In post 623, WhyMafia wrote:mahhh, I suppose I overlooked Trinity. I feel like Nancy's kind of represents how I feel. I want Trinity to do more, and she seems to be nooby to me. She isn't really pinging my scum radar, but I get what you mean by her being passive and not being proactive. @Trinity, can you convince me on who your biggest scum read is and why we should Lynch them? @Oka can you do the same?
I’m trying to catch up on today’s posts, so will post something more later, but for now FF is still my biggest scum read. He’s really only been leaning on Oka, and not putting in the effort on others that I would have expected.
What others should I be putting in work on and why do you expect me to be doing that?
This post of mine was superseded once I’d iso’d You and I am now thinking you’re town.
That doesnt change my question. At the point in time you made this post you felt like I should be putting in effort on certain people. Who and why?
I’m sorry FF, I can’t remember what I was thinking when I wrote that.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 857, OkaPoka wrote:
In post 831, OkaPoka wrote:TRINITY! I need some quotes in which you think I've made some bad responses to some questions posed by others that you find so horrible. I also want you to go in detail why my case on you is weak.
in case this gets ignored, @TRINITY

I will do some clarification, in this post:
In post 671, TrinityNZ wrote:
In post 668, OkaPoka wrote:Talk to me about ff, write up a case with some evidence
OK, so I know this is going to make me look flaky, but looking for evidence has just made me confused! FF looks to me like apart from the interaction with Quick, he’s mainly spent time leaning on Oka and not really putting in the effort on everyone else. And I don’t think he’s tried hard to defend the votes on him. But I’ve had to admit that I do like that he’s after Oka as I think Oka could be scum, which would possibly, but not definitely, mean that FF isn’t.

My current thinking is:

Nancy - strong town. We all know why.
Oka - scum lean, mainly because of the weak case he was trying to make on me, and poor answers to questions others have asked.
Iceman - slight town lean, as I’ve liked his theory posts, although his vote on Quick seemed a bit forced, and not for the best of reasons. I don’t think not reading posts is AI.
Quick - slight scum lean. I initially didn’t think scum would be so blasé about the attack from IceMan. But some of his posts are scummy sounding, like ‘you are trying to upset me more and get me to make a mistake’. As mafia in the last game I worried about making mistakes, but in this game I’m not worried so much as what sort of mistakes can I make? I mean, I can make silly mistakes where people might think I’m stupid, but I can’t think what type of think a ‘mistake’ I could make that would be really bad.
Flicker - slight scum lean, the unvote of Oka seems strange.
Eragon - town lean originally, as he came in with a hiss and a roar, but that has tapered off, so null at the moment.
Why Mafia - town lean. I’m linking his posts. He’s put in a lot of effort really quickly and looks like he’s making an effort to understand the game, and made some good cases.
FF - was my strongest scum lean, but I’m backing off that, as noted above.

UNVOTE: FormerFish
You mark me as a scum lean because of first I have an alleged weak case against you and I have also responded poorly to questions other people have posed.
So what I want is for you to first, explain why you believe that my case is terrible and scummy.
I also want you, more importantly, to quote some of these poor responses I have made in response to other questions and I want you to explain why each of these poor answers are so garbage and thus scummy.
Wow. Give me a chance, I’m in a different time zone to you remember. I can’t reply immediately.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 870, nancy wrote:Gotta admit though it's pretty discomforting how she just keeps missing stuff in thread. Like, this keeps happening. Are you just not reading every post or something Trinity?
In post 811, nancy wrote:
In post 808, TrinityNZ wrote:Nancy, I was referring to what I’d said about FF in this post.
Okay, so you think he's town because you think that Oka is mafia and that FF and Oka are never mafia partners?

What if you're wrong, and Oka is town?
@Trinity
Yep, I’m reading every post. By the time I read everything, I don’t have time to answer all the questions. Yes, I could be wrong. I actually just had a thought about Oka that might make me re-evaluate, so I will post on that later, but first I’m trying to get through the 7 pages that have appeared since I was here last.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 873, OkaPoka wrote:
In post 815, nancy wrote:
In post 785, OkaPoka wrote:getting a townread on me is not important as long as there is a better lynch today
God I read this post again and I'm like.

This is, to a T, 100%, exactly what scum mindset looks like.

All scum need each dayphase is to dodge the lynch, be a little more town than someone else, make someone else look scummier than they are.

I just don't know whether OkaPoka is actually scum for saying it.

Like, can he really be having that thought as town here? Can he honestly think that it's not important for me or anyone else to get a townread on him?

It's like, kind of inherent to our condition as town to want to be townread. We don't like people thinking we're mafia, getting our alignment wrong. It feels bad. But Oka just... doesn't care?

This is like. Too Wolfy To Be A Wolf type territory, which is all through his ISO, not just this post. And at a certain point I think like... well, maybe he is actually just a wolf?

Ugh.
I would actually have to completely disagree with this being a scum mindset, because this isn't how I would play scum. I just recently played a newbie-scum game if you want to meta dive me and verify this.
Scum wants to dodge lynches yes that is true, but scum also aren't playing to merely just nearly avoid being the most scummy because that is simply a risk not worth taking. People in this game are rarely consistent and they are also rarely completely rational players, thus in order to dodge a lynch, the primary goal of scum would be not to appear a bit more townie, but the most townie because otherwise the swing of town might still end up with a lynch on a null!OkaPoka.

Yeah it is inherent as town to want to be townread, but it isn't nor should it be the primary concern of town to be the towniest of them all. That's scum wincon, scum doesn't need lynches to win, they just need to make sure town either mislynches, or fails to lynch and they can solve the game based on NK's. Meanwhile town has to make sure finding scum is their primary concern because ultimately without successful lynches, town loses every time. We are also playing a semi-openish setup that does not give a guarantee on investigative roles to help sole the game, nor do we have town killing roles to allow town to not need lynches to win.

In an extreme vacuum, a town that has their primary concern in making the appearance of being townie will lose every game. There needs to be at least some people who are making their whole effort hunting scum because we can't just rely on PRs to win this game for us. In a game in which town has their primary concern of being townie, they will lose because scum are also doing the same, and it makes the job of scumhunting much more difficult because to an extent, everyone is acting rather than being themselves. When everyone is composed and trying to act like town, they are acting rather than trying to win, and then the game will devolve into who can be the best actor.

Literally nobody wants to be scumread in this game, and it's not like I don't care about being scumread, it's just not worth as much time to act town when I could be selfishly developing reads on others and trying to figure things out.

The difference between scum!Oka and town!Oka is town!Oka is being genuine while scum!Oka wants to come across as genuine. I can see why you want to help me out by telling me why I should try and make an effort to appear more townie, but I think that can ultimately be somewhat detrimental advice as town shouldn't concern themselves with acting town. I find it more difficult as scum to develop genuine reads not only because I know everyone's alignment and I have ulterior motives, but because while I am in the act of appearing town, I have to tone down the aggressiveness in developing my reads and challenging other people's ideas.

I think it is a given that everyone reacts more hostile-y to people who scumread them and are pushing them, thus then the optimal play if your end goal is to be townie is to never push, never interact on a deeper level, and never challenge other people's reads. By caring so much about other people's reads on you, what ends up happening is you simply ask superficial questions and lend support to whoever you want to suck up to. You let other people game solve for you.

Okay and there is a point behind all of this, it's not just to respond to nancy's assertions.
I think this is exactly what Trinity is doing, she is being superficial and wants to give off a vibe of genuine townieness.
I don't think I need to quote examples, if you want them I will, but a lot of her posts feel like they won't go anywhere. She is overly nice with people, which could just be her personality, but what I fear is she is trying to play nice to get townread. She is rubbing shoulders with nancy(the obvtown player) a lot, and to an extent it's useless. Let's examine the game from her perspective.

Most people are marking nancy as town, she is too, obvious by if you want an example, so why does she keep interacting with nancy so much? There is no need to develop reads on people you so solidly read town when you have others in which you have giant question marks over. Unless you want to inflate your post count, unless you don't want to give offense to others by hinting that you may be hostile to them, unless you don't actually care about developing genuine reads, you just want the obv town to like you and not lynch you.

Look at trinity's questions she is posing and attempting to make an attempt at interacting with others, I mean does she have a larger path with these questions? Does she have a greater point she wants to prove or expand on? I am getting the vibe that most of her questions directed towards people don't really have much direction to go, they serve no real purpose other than to make herself seem more townie, because that is her primary concern as scum.

Look all the posts Trinity has made, maybe one or two posts have some genuine direction in which they can go and she can develop upon. If we are being generous.
But most of these posts are either her trying to be friendly, or her trying to clarify herself and say look at me I am so townie XOXO.
I mean does trinity even have a desire to solve this game? I'm getting the feeling the answer to that is no.
We'll see though.
Not quite sure how to answer all this. Perhaps try to imagine I’m town for a minute and that I’m spending hours and hours on this game because do actually want to solve it. And that I’ve spent the most time interacting with Nancy because she has been helpful and I’m new. If I was scum, I don’t know why I would spend time interacting with Nancy, I’d be avoiding her like the plague, as I’m not experienced enough to outsmart her.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

In post 885, IcemanCh wrote:
In post 867, Formerfish wrote:
In post 865, nancy wrote:
In post 845, Formerfish wrote:
In post 765, TrinityNZ wrote:Town is on to you.
I think its the comments like this that come off as desperate to me. Like someone trying to fit in based off 80's information. Like it seems legit, but something is off about it.
I agree with this, btw, but I kinda think it's just the way she talks.
Its going to be hard for me to read trinity this game. She only has 1 in and it was a scum game. I just dont remember her speaking like this last game and in the back of my mind im thinking she is going overboard acting townie because she thinks its going to hide her when it just makes her stick out.
Yes! I am way more confident and flippant in this game.
You have a point. She wasn't as confident or flippant about things. I don't know though cause it kind of makes me want to say trinity is town.
TrinityNZ
TrinityNZ
Goon
TrinityNZ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Post by TrinityNZ »

Oka, you asked for examples, so here’s a couple of things:

First, you said this:
In post 28, OkaPoka wrote:Typically speaking, you should at least check in once every 24 hours at the bare minimum to comment on things, answer questions, or ask questions, but as the deadline gets closer, it is good to increase your posting and be more active, especially if no real lynch candidates have been presented imo.
Then, you said this about me to start reading me in scum, even though I was doing exactly what you said in the post above. And this seems to be the only reason you have for reading me as scum. I just don’t think it’s a good enough reason. It’s like you’re clutching at straws. you even noted you didn’t have any questions for me. And since this post, you’ve been constantly on my case.
In post 283, OkaPoka wrote:yeah i think trinity is scum, she hasn't really meaningful engaged with anyone without really being prompted to.
feels like she is reading the thread, answers any questions directed at her and then disappears
town would be more proactive imo

VOTE: trinity
ff might hate me for voting her already but i don't really have questions for her
Below is an example of another post from you I didn’t like. I couldn’t see why you would ask this question.
In post 31, OkaPoka wrote:@nancy what are the point of these questions, especially question number 3
Having spent about the last two hours reading recent posts, and responding, I’m coming to the conclusion that you might not be mafia after all. I think your push on me is so strong, that if I am mislynched, you would look really suspicious because your push has been so strong, and I don’t think you are that stupid. I think if you were mafia you would have been easing back a bit on me and letting others do the work. So after all that, I’m reading you as town now.

UNVOTE: OkaPoka

I have no idea who to vote for now, that will have to be tomorrow’s job, I’ve spent too much time here tonight already.

I hope I’ve answered everyone’s questions.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Post by nancy »

I've just spent the past few hours rereading the game and feel pretty reassured by it.

I'm really strongly townreading Trinity and Flicker and I'm strongly townreading Iceman.
Spoiler:
I think Trinity has been super genuine, there have been a few weird spots about her play like the way she backed off FF and moved onto Oka, but I was able to broadly understand why she did them and I really think they're just due to inexperience. Whenever I've been in thread talking with her I've felt really good about her and I think her wall above me is just super town. She's been super fair and reasonable towards everyone without muddying her content or doing a bunch of busywork, she's been pushing someone, she's been clear about her reads and I think she's been doing a bunch to try to solve the game. I think you can see that in the shape of her Oka read and the way she's become conflicted about him and backed off and now just feels kind of lost. Really really really think she's town here.

I think Flicker's response to my mini push was soooo genuine and real, the hurt she expressed there and how it wove into her play, and I think it helped me to understand what level to read her on here. I think the amount of effort that she put into her first post and how nuanced and careful she was with her Oka treatment was really town and I think the way she's approached people and tried to solve things has felt really genuine. I think the way she unvoted Oka makes a lot of sense and isn't really the angle that mafia take there pulling off a scumread. When I read her big wallpost I thought that she was either a newbie reading into things in a really quirky way like newbies sometimes do or just TMI-ing a bunch of people town and I think after hearing her speak to me that it's the first one and I think she's just super likely to be town here.

Iceman is the weakest of the three but I still read him pretty strongly as town. I haven't really had any problems with what he has done this game and I keep going back to his early paranoia of me and how funky that was and I just think that moment was super genuine and town of him. I think there's a level of consistency in his approach to the game that's probably a little complicated and difficult to fake, and I think the way that approach has kind of filtered into his reads is an decent-ish reason to townread him here. I really liked the way he positioned himself on Oka and his treatment of Oka overall.

Going to post the rest of my reads in chunks over the next few hours or so rather than making one giant post.
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Post by nancy »

Quick is sort of sitting around ~rand for me.
Spoiler:
I'm a little worried by how little Quick is doing here and I think if he continues to kind of sit on the sidelines and let the game happen around him while just kind of poking at FF then by mid day 2 or so I would start looking pretty hard at this slot. I haven't seen much in the way of solving or reads from him and I think there's enough scum motivation in just butting heads with FF all game and not doing anything to push the game to a positive place that I don't think I can ever townread him just because I'm not super convinced that he would throw tantrums the way he has been as mafia. I definitely need to reread him carefully at some point before deadline to try to solidify my read.

Eragon is like, slightly below rand. I wouldn't quite call him a scumread, just... kind of nebulously Not A Townread.
Spoiler:
I haven't super hated many individual posts by Eragon, mostly just really hate his recent one where he did an ISO of Trinity. I hated it because it felt like busywork rather than actually trying to read into her alignment, and I didn't feel like it grooved with his earlier mood about her posting. The overall shape of his play hasn't felt great and I'd really like to see more from him in the way of actually solving the game as a whole rather than just posting a lot of things that are reads but that don't actually have any real trajectory or direction to them. Am pretty concerned that he hasn't voted anyone all day because I think generally speaking mafia are a lot more reluctant to actually commit to hard stances and commit to pushes, and Eragon just sort of doing a bunch of aimless threadwork the way he has been makes sense as the way that mafia might approach an active game like this, I think.

That said, I don't think there's anything that overwhelmingly points towards him being mafia doing those things, and I didn't hate the way he responded to my push, I guess? I end up just feel conflicted about this slot, basically. I think, if I were forced to choose either way, what I would come back to is that even though I have concerns with his play as a whole, I actually have liked a lot of his posts and agreed with a lot of what he has said, and there's enough of a possibility that the rest is just playstyle or lack of understanding from me that I would maybe just put him as town and squeeze my eyes shut in the hope that rand chance gets me through okay.[/quote]
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Post by nancy »

rip formatting.

Eragon is like, slightly below rand. I wouldn't quite call him a scumread, just... kind of nebulously Not A Townread.
Spoiler:
I haven't super hated many individual posts by Eragon, mostly just really hate his recent one where he did an ISO of Trinity. I hated it because it felt like busywork rather than actually trying to read into her alignment, and I didn't feel like it grooved with his earlier mood about her posting. The overall shape of his play hasn't felt great and I'd really like to see more from him in the way of actually solving the game as a whole rather than just posting a lot of things that are reads but that don't actually have any real trajectory or direction to them. Am pretty concerned that he hasn't voted anyone all day because I think generally speaking mafia are a lot more reluctant to actually commit to hard stances and commit to pushes, and Eragon just sort of doing a bunch of aimless threadwork the way he has been makes sense as the way that mafia might approach an active game like this, I think.

That said, I don't think there's anything that overwhelmingly points towards him being mafia doing those things, and I didn't hate the way he responded to my push, I guess? I end up just feel conflicted about this slot, basically. I think, if I were forced to choose either way, what I would come back to is that even though I have concerns with his play as a whole, I actually have liked a lot of his posts and agreed with a lot of what he has said, and there's enough of a possibility that the rest is just playstyle or lack of understanding from me that I would maybe just put him as town and squeeze my eyes shut in the hope that rand chance gets me through okay.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:02 am

Post by nancy »

I'm weakly scumreading WhyMafia.
Spoiler:
I'm really uncomfortable with the way that WhyMafia been pushing his reads. There was that moment where he had been pushing on Oka then abruptly switched and flipped onto Eragon and it felt really gross to me, the vote movement and read progression didn't feel natural. His Oka read doesn't make sense to me much at all. I kind of dislike the way that he's positioned himself on Eragon, it feels like he's tunneled on the read but his thread presence doesn't match that. He feels super super passive and not interested in doing anything to solve the game around Eragon and that feels bad. I haven't really liked the way he's talked about his other reads, they feel kind of fake and wishy-washy and I struggle to believe that he has any real overarching view of the game. Am not entirely sure how alignment indicative that is for WhyMafia, though.

God, I actually went into this post sort of vibing with a scumread on FF but when I go to put it to words and look back over his ISO I just end up not really feeling it anymore. He's probably been the strangest read for me this game. He's a weird kind of blend of chatting with people and poking at things and making really brittle pushes and like, I think I'm kind of leveling myself into just reading the strange mix of it all as somehow a town thing and I can't tell if I'm getting suckered into the image he's trying to present or not but that's sort of where I'm ending up I think. I don't really think his pseudo-tunneling is town at all on its own and if he's still playing this way as the game goes deeper then I would probably start to feel pretty bad about him I think but like, he feels kinda mood for day 1. I don't even know what I would call this read, something something rand town I guess.

Oh and I had an unaligned read between FF/Oka that I don't really believe in anymore, fyi. I think his treatment of Oka is bizarre but I think it's soft enough for them to be mafia together and I don't really feel like he ever actually went anywhere with his Oka push so like, just don't really see anything actually ruling them out as partners.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 am

Post by WhyMafia »

My reads aren't wishy washy. Explicitly I like Iceman and you. I lean town Trinity and Quick. I'm bewildered by Oka. I need to re-read FF and Flicker. I scum read Eragon.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 am

Post by WhyMafia »

I have a scum read, and I want him to talk to me, and until my scum read of him decreases, or someone makes a compelling case on him, I'm gonna stick to him. Why is my progression on Oka bad? Why would scum!WM behave the way he did? Why would I make a bit of pressure, and instantly retract it? I don't know what to think of that slot, and I've made that abundantly clear. I'm not gonna sugar coat things to look good, I'm gonna vote and interact with people as I see things I like and don't like
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:15 am

Post by nancy »

@Trinity, when you have the chance, please talk about why you posted , please, in as much detail as possible, talk about your FF read and your Oka read and how both of those reads have evolved for you over the course of the day so far, and please talk about who think is mafia right now and why.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 1010, nancy wrote:I think Flicker's response to my mini push was soooo genuine and real, the hurt she expressed there and how it wove into her play, and I think it helped me to understand what level to read her on here. I think the amount of effort that she put into her first post and how nuanced and careful she was with her Oka treatment was really town and I think the way she's approached people and tried to solve things has felt really genuine. I think the way she unvoted Oka makes a lot of sense and isn't really the angle that mafia take there pulling off a scumread. When I read her big wallpost I thought that she was either a newbie reading into things in a really quirky way like newbies sometimes do or just TMI-ing a bunch of people town and I think after hearing her speak to me that it's the first one and I think she's just super likely to be town here.
Nancy can you elaborate on this? I keep re-reading Flicker and I guess I see some of the things you see, but not all of it. Why is her nuance and care regarding Oka towny? Can you describe how it makes sense the way she unvoted Oka to not really come from scum?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am

Post by nancy »

In post 1015, WhyMafia wrote:I have a scum read, and I want him to talk to me, and until my scum read of him decreases, or someone makes a compelling case on him, I'm gonna stick to him. Why is my progression on Oka bad? Why would scum!WM behave the way he did? Why would I make a bit of pressure, and instantly retract it? I don't know what to think of that slot, and I've made that abundantly clear. I'm not gonna sugar coat things to look good, I'm gonna vote and interact with people as I see things I like and don't like
I don't know why, dude, and I don't know why you would do them as town either. That's why you're a weak scumread. Your Oka read looks bad because it doesn't look like anything. I dunno what you were even scumreading about him because you never talked about it. Like, if you're mafia then you came in with a fake read, poked at it a bit meaninglessly, then after it had said a few words you pivoted it off it and the whole thing might as well have never happened. I didn't see you do anything with what happened there. Your Oka read is a bunch of question marks, and I don't mean that it's bad that you're not sure about his alignment I mean you literally haven't taken a solid stance on anything he has done and yet he was one of your strongest scumreads. This has nothing to do with sugarcoating.
Flicker
Flicker
Goon
Flicker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

Post by Flicker »

@Mod I'm V/LA until Friday (July 20th). Thanks in advance!
:]
In post 841, Quick wrote:@Flicker,

If you had to give the difference(s) between your Town game and Scum game, what would they be?
In post 30, Flicker wrote:I've only rolled scum once (in Micro 805.1), but I wouldn't say I really got the opportunity to
play
as scum, so I don't know [what the difference is].
Why do you ask?

(This is the fastest thing I could answer, I promise I'm not dodging every else, I just got a late start today & am out of time until Friday.)
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 am

Post by nancy »

In post 1017, WhyMafia wrote:Nancy can you elaborate on this? I keep re-reading Flicker and I guess I see some of the things you see, but not all of it. Why is her nuance and care regarding Oka towny? Can you describe how it makes sense the way she unvoted Oka to not really come from scum?
I think it's towny on an effort level and more importantly on the level of like, I'm not sure she'd be capable of faking that detailed of a scumread that early. It's also pretty rare for mafia to come in with that heavy of a read that early in the game, because there's just not a lot that they can get out of that kind of a push at that time, and because they generally speaking prefer to wait to see how town is going to react to stuff before taking a hard stance on anything. If you look at the way the read progressed for her, she just kind of weakly backed off it after a while, so essentially all that effort that she went into, of setting up a push on Oka and such, was just wasted. That's not typical mafia behavior. They don't like to just give up on pushes that they've spent a bunch of effort on. They have an agenda and when they make that kind of a push, they want to get mileage out of it.

And it's not like thread temperature was unfavorable to her read. There was a wagon on Oka. She could very easily have kept up her read and she would have fit in just fine. She could have continued to idly scumread him and let town push the wagon for her. But she backed off instead. I think that's a sign that the read was genuine from her. I don't see any mafia motivation in that at all and I see a ton of town motivation for it.

What was towny to me about the unvote was that she said she was worried about Oka getting speedwagoned. That's not really the kind of thing you worry about as mafia. You're most concerned with how people are going to perceive your read progression. When I put myself in her head, think about my Oka scumread dissipating, then yeah, that really clicks there, it makes a ton of sense to unvote if I'm feeling unsure and don't want people to jump the gun while I'm trying to make up my mind about whether or not I scumread the slot anymore. Why did she do any of that as mafia exactly? Doesn't make much sense to me if she's scum. The fact that she reiterated in her next post that she had made the right choice by unvoting reinforces that take for me.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 am

Post by nancy »

In post 1014, WhyMafia wrote:My reads aren't wishy washy. Explicitly I like Iceman and you. I lean town Trinity and Quick. I'm bewildered by Oka. I need to re-read FF and Flicker. I scum read Eragon.
Heh. I appreciate this response a lot. There's a level here that I think is pretty town and I'll talk about it at some point regardless of where read on you ends up.

I think your reads have been pretty wishy-washy. Your Eragon read is the only one that I've seen you really stick to. It's not the worst thing in the world to be wishy-washy. You replaced in not very long ago, you're still getting a feel for the game, sure, I get it. That does need to change at some point, though.

And okay, maybe you've explicitly said that you like Iceman as a lean town, but that's... a very weak stance, and you haven't backed it up with anything, so you could really just flip your read on him and we wouldn't be able to question you about any of it. There'd be nothing to question. That's kinda wishy-washy, no?
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am

Post by OkaPoka »

Fuck, I would expect trinity to double down as scum. Maybe she is just plays this way.

@nancy do you have any stronger scumreads? Looks like you are retreating away from your scumreads.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

Post by nancy »

Yeah, I've just been putting off talking about it because I don't feel as confident as I would like to. Here, I'll post part of what I wrote in my IC topic.

I've kind of come around to an Oka scumread at this point. I feel like I both love and hate his play this game. Regardless of his alignment, his posting is so recklessly majestic that it's hard not to appreciate it. I just kind of struggle more and more to see him as town here.

His reads early in the game feel so so fake, it feels like he's going through the motions and just kind of abruptly lands at 3-4 townreads and it's like, I just don't believe that he's done the work to get those reads or genuinely has them. I feel like that's kind of the story of his play here this game. He feels more like a papier-maché of a townie than an actual townie.

The only things kind of pulling me back on this read I think are his level of engagement and the way he's positioned himself on Trinity, but like, on the flip side of that, he's not really seeming to go anywhere with anything, and he's been tunneled on Trinity for ~30 pages now and every time she's addressed his concerns he's just found new reasons to scumread her, and that doesn't feel real to me.

I think, ultimately, there are too moments at this point where he has done something that has felt incredibly fake for me to touch him with even a hint of a townread, and short of getting a scumflip and clearing him via spew or antialignments I just can't see myself believing that he's town.

Like, if I put this slot aside today then I would basically have to be donning a mask and playing a part in a farce, just hoping that maybe maybe maybe he could clear himself somewhere down the line, and when I don't have any scumreads that I feel super strongly about I don't think that's a super realistic option.

Vote: OkaPoka

nancy ~ )) - Flicker - Trinity -- Iceman - )) ------ Quick, FF % )) > -- Eragon ---- WhyMafia )) -------- OkaPoka )) ~

Why would you expect her to double down as scum? It seems to me like your whole basis for scumreading her is that she's milquetoast, so I don't really get how you would expect that from her at all.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:42 am

Post by OkaPoka »

because the only time she interacts with people on a deeper level is when she gets accused of scum.

but if she backs off now, idk, maybe she is just not an aggressive player in general

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”