Dance of the Title Fairy: A Froggy Fandango

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 639, Alisae wrote:
In post 636, DeathRowKitty wrote:Precision brushstroke doesn't make a particularly good reference to lasers and the attempt to do so weakens it as far as its ability to reference her art. I get that there's interest here in getting both of these things into a title, but the nominations that are coming out of it are forced and I think either dropping the laser component or waiting a bit will lead to something better here.
Are u high?
(Tho I agree with dropping the laser part)
You realize her site name is based off of her love of lasertag.

like actually confirmed

we had a rant session about how y'all don't understand that shit.
In post 648, Aristophanes wrote:Its also funny because the people she teaches are drunk and very not precisely following her precise art :P
i was not drunk! I only had a mixed beverage made using XO cognac and a mudslide in a can while she taught me how to art thank you very much!
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Post by Alisae »

Edit nvm
GTKAS
| here.
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Post by MTD »

In post 650, Maruchan wrote:You realize her site name is based off of her love of lasertag.
The fact that i used this name for pokemon showdown before mafiascum does not make it a name based off pokemon.
So i really don't understand what makes her name based off laser tag.
still the same old MTD
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:44 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 646, Annadog40 wrote:Nth presision artist.
Nth
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:18 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 648, Aristophanes wrote:Its also funny because the people she teaches are drunk and very not precisely following her precise art :P
Idk Maru was holding it down last night with an elephant painting
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:55 am

Post by Maruchan »

In post 652, MTD wrote:
In post 650, Maruchan wrote:You realize her site name is based off of her love of lasertag.
The fact that i used this name for pokemon showdown before mafiascum does not make it a name based off pokemon.
So i really don't understand what makes her name based off laser tag.
In post 650, Maruchan wrote:like actually confirmed

we had a rant session about how y'all don't understand that shit.
oh I don't know why I could possibly think that.
:eyeroll:

I now have accounts named Maruchan on a number of other websites. I didn't make these accounts named Maruchan because because I had a cup of maruchan ramen on my desk when I made them.

I made them because it is a name I would be recognized by from anyone who knows me here.

The name itself isn't based off of mafiascum, but it's importance to me is based off of mafiascum.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:45 am

Post by McMenno »

My name here is based off my minecraft username. Should I get a minecraft-related title?
mafiascum is on life support
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 am

Post by Chevre »

My name here is based off a character in Animal Crossing. Should I get an Animal Crossing-related title?
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:52 am

Post by vonflare »

my name was made up by me

should I get a me-related title?
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:58 am

Post by Aristophanes »

This argument is dumb I hope you know. The fact that her Username originated in Lasertag and, by the way, was literally on the wall of fame at her local Lasertag establishment, are not the reason Lasertag is a big factor in our title search. It is, however, evidence which supports a Lasertag title along with her knowledge of the systems, her proficiency, and her continued love of it.

McMenno, if you were a Minecraft personality, if anyone associated you with Minecraft. If you talked about it and knew more about it than most. If you, say, programmed a pokemon game inside of it or something. Those would all be reasons to say "hey, this guy should get a Minecraft title! I mean, his username originated there!" But to my knowledge that's not the case.

MTD, if you maybe had a history of making Pokémon based threads or did a shit tonne of Nuzlocke challenges or whatever, a Pokémon name would make sense.

The name isn't the primary evidence in any way and you sticking to this point is missing the rest of the arguement and downplays the importance Lasertag poses in Chicka's life! If this were Mafia I'd call for lynches on you both for making such bad cases :P

Ninja'd
Oh god...Chev and Von are meming it now and here I am, the asshole taking it seriously. I stand by this though!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 am

Post by Chevre »

In post 454, Inferno390 wrote:Anti-nom
Since that this is related to one specific incident that only a handful of people will understand
Don’t think it works
In post 458, Psyche wrote:you guys invest so little effort into your noms and then get so snarky when someone outside the nomming clique says they don't really see the appeal
- - -
No, I think it's a valid point.

I love Chickadee as a person, but here's the reality: There was a meet at which a few users played a lot of lasertag, something which they heavily enjoy, and now they want to make this a title. But a lasertag-related title absolutely does not reflect Chickadee's presence on this site as a user. I've heard Chickadee's lasertag stories -- on Discord. What have I seen on MafiaScum? A great personality, enthusiasm, lots of posts concerning her art -- but very little about lasertag.

I wasn't meming when I made my post about my username. You can literally do that with almost anyone's username. skitzer is related to the Pokemon Skitty, give that account a Pokemon-based username! Everyone has a story for their username, so we can't really use that as evidence for the basis of a title.

To Maruchan, Majiffy and company, I get that you liked your time at Toronto Meet, and playing lasertag, and that one funny time when Maruchan lost her passport, and all that. I've had fun at meets too, but I didn't nominate vonflare for his really bad setup, or Shadoweh for sleeping, or Katsuki for being really good at arcade games. Because in the end, it was a meet held because of this site, one that only involved 16 people of thousands. And you can say "well yeah, but that's so many titles", but the thing with those titles is the evidence relating back to those is on-site. Not everyone plays Survivor, so not everyone's going to know why hiplop got Jury Darling, but you can link back to it. Oman's NK-Immune Miller Vig stemmed from 1 mafia game, but you can go back and look at it.

I'm happy for you, to have this newfound enthusiasm for laser-tag, and people who share this enthusiasm. But I don't want to see Chickadee shoehorned into "the lasertag girl" when that's simply not at all been her presence on MS.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 am

Post by Majiffy »

It's a lasertag and art title. The discord you referenced is an MS discord. The meet was an MS meet. I think it all ties quite well to MS and you miss the forest for the trees.

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

Post by Majiffy »

Like I hardly play mafia anymore and even when I do the flowchart is almost never referenced. Should my title be stripped? No, that'd be absurd. It's a relevant title to the user and definitively tied to MS.

||
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 am

Post by hiplop »

#StandWithChevre

when ppl go to their first meet often they think wow this is unlike anything else this experience is different than everyone elses!

you having a private one on one convo w/ chickadee about her username etymology is extremely meaningless as title background
third best scummer of all time
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 am

Post by xyzzy »

In post 663, hiplop wrote:a private one on one convo w/ chickadee about her username etymology
this is a wild misrepresentation of the truth but okay
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 658, vonflare wrote:my name was made up by me

should I get a me-related title?
nom vonflare for bitch ass boy
third best scummer of all time
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 am

Post by Psyche »

i can see both sides i'm such a centrist sage
You can't step in the same river twice.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 666, Psyche wrote:i can see both sides i'm such a centrist sage
What's your bipartisan compromise proposal?
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am

Post by vonflare »

also a centrist here, I say we cut the title in half and split it between chickadee and drk
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:42 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 667, Not_Mafia wrote:
kill the discussion, wait for someone not me comes back to it in about a month in a half with a new art/lasertag nom that's still not perfect but also too good to merely say no to, all while the laser tag meme is gradually and, yes, nastily and kinda astro-turfily absorbed into the culture of the site and becomes a more worthy reference point for a title

don't tell me it hasn't happened before!
You can't step in the same river twice.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 669, Psyche wrote:
In post 667, Not_Mafia wrote:
kill the discussion, wait for someone not me comes back to it in about a month in a half with a new art/lasertag nom that's still not perfect but also too good to merely say no to, all while the laser tag meme is gradually and, yes, nastily and kinda astro-turfily absorbed into the culture of the site and becomes a more worthy reference point for a title

don't tell me it hasn't happened before!
doot
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am

Post by implosion »

Unshaded
?

Not a laser tag reference. It's a double backhanded reference to her art (particularly since many of her drawings are of bones and shading is rather relevant there, but she does do a variety of things and to really know how accurate of a reference/backhanded reference it is I'd need her to chime in in theory esp. since she mentioned she does art not involving light, but fortunately it works both ways!), and to her mafia play (she considers herself lynchbait, i.e., often shaded), but a direct reference to her personality (she's generally open, face as avatar, sort of feels more generally like it captures a bit of her personality in a more broad way). There's something about the combination of backhanded/direct references that I think also sort of makes sense in and of itself.

I generally agree that while laser tag may be important to her it hasn't really been a big part of her site presence and it's a really easy thing to try to shoehorn in in a way that makes things worse/less elegant. I think she's much better/more broadly known for these kinds of things.
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am

Post by Invisibility »

eh
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 663, hiplop wrote:#StandWithChevre

when ppl go to their first meet often they think wow this is unlike anything else this experience is different than everyone elses!

you having a private one on one convo w/ chickadee about her username etymology is extremely meaningless as title background
FYI this comes off super condescending

Also not the first meet for a lot of us. And only one person is being nommed for a title.

Adding to the condescension

||
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Also I wasn't at the Lasertag part of it and I am hugely in favour of it and would have been even prior to the meet...
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare

Return to “Player Titles”