newbie 1891: people with cool hair (game over!!!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am

Post by schadd_ »

last vote count!!!!!

GeminiTwin12 (2):
Cobblerfone, Qubu

not voting (1):
GeminiTwin12

with 3 alive, it took 2 to lynch
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: tired person

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I wonnered
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 am

Post by schadd_ »

GeminiTwin12 has been lynched! she was a
mafia roleblocker!

Qubu survived! he was a
town cop!

Cobblerfone survived! he was a
vanilla townie!

town wins!!!
free darius mccollum

nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:09 am

Post by nonny »

Good job town.
*insert bad joke here*
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 am

Post by schadd_ »

releasing scum PT in (expired on 2018-10-22 13:00:00) unless either objects

mod / dead thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=77331
chara's IC thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=77346 not a lot in here and i assume it understood it was intended for release
free darius mccollum

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 am

So this is a huge piece of advice to every towny this game

When I died and flipped VT (and I was obvious not PR) that says scum felt threatened enough by my reads that killing me superceded hunting for PRs.

It means you should take the reads I left you with seriously

When I died I had relentless hunt / qubu / Nonny / cobbler as all locktown and attempts were made to Lynch or cop all of them. They were all town. People even discredited qubu for saying that listening to dead is a good idea: sure I don't have magic info that you don't, Nonny, but I died for a reason.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Chara »

yep.
sorry Gemini!
this was my first game back after hiatus and it really shows...
i don't know if you do it automatically or not, but releasing the scum PT is fine with me.

it's a good handbook on how not to be scum, written by Chara.
pedit: can confirm i figured RC wasn't a PR and killed him for his reads.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 am

Post by nonny »

That’s fair RC. I just read it more as scum using it to mislynch based on your reads :/
*insert bad joke here*
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:13 am

In post 657, nonny wrote:That’s fair RC. I just read it more as scum using it to mislynch based on your reads :/
Because you disagreed with my reads?
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 am

Post by Chara »

the game was also auto once teacher was killed and there were three conftowns via claims.
i should have known Qubu had a guilty on me from his opening and preemptively claimed a PR, but i misremembered who we'd blocked last night. thought we had blocked Qubu, but that was Gemini and i foolishly changed it. just a major misplay in general.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 am

I mean you unroleblocked one PR to block another so that's not exactly LVP

Qubu was definitely way more threatening though
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:16 am

Post by Chara »

some advice i would give for town here is to be more careful of hinting your PRs. we misplayed it but i did figure out who the PRs likely were just from day 1 posting.
it was mostly through PoE. PRs did a pretty good job of hiding, but some of the VTs made it obvious they were VT (except for RC, was mostly a lucky guess in retrospect).

pedit; but the best play would have been blocking one and killing the other. which we were going to actually do before i decided to fearkill you.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:17 am

I think town this game got very lucky that the PRs were who they were because it constituted an additional two conftown who were otherwise under pressure (silly because both were obvtown imo but)
nonny
nonny
Mafia Scum
nonny
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 am

Post by nonny »

In post 658, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 657, nonny wrote:That’s fair RC. I just read it more as scum using it to mislynch based on your reads :/
Think so, would have to go back and look. Also disagreed with the person using your reads so that didn’t help.

I didn’t put as much effort in here as a should have, accidentally spread myself to thin and now know my own limits.
*insert bad joke here*
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:19 am

I think my willingness to not derail everything and tunnel you made me obviously not PR
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 am

In post 663, nonny wrote:
In post 658, RadiantCowbells wrote:
Think so, would have to go back and look. Also disagreed with the person using your reads so that didn’t help.

I didn’t put as much effort in here as a should have, accidentally spread myself to thin and now know my own limits.
Yeah but that's why you're still alive, you know?

I can count the number of true wifom kills made by people who aren't me on one hand.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:21 am

Post by schadd_ »

honestly not that partial to this specific setup - town's reads obviously mattered but townplay didn't really affect the game after n1.

obviously there's something to be said about listening to town players who seem good - rc's reads were good enough to win by the end of d1. like, there wasn't a way to know that for certain obviously, nor was there an obvious way to find out rc is a very experienced player (that i remember - maybe he said "i am a very experienced town player" idr), but figuring out how to gather that information has effects on your reads that should b pretty clear. that may have factored into qubu's peek idk

make sure you're thinking about PR stuff in terms of what you need to do to end the game - gemini was saying stuff like "massclaim makes it easy for scum to figure out what to do" and people didn't dispute that right away. given that you know a cop and a roleblocker exists - what happens if the second PR claims or doesn't claim? keeping in mind that any claim occurring in lylo will at best bring the game to a 1v1 since the last mafia can counterclaim it.
free darius mccollum

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:25 am

Oh and like newbies (and even very experienced players!) tend to scumread people like Alonzo, Nonny, Relentless Hunt for being, like, different? But generally scum are the Charas and the Geminis, people who seem superficially town but don't really do all that much.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:27 am

One of my favorite scumtells which applied to Chara this game is when a bunch of people town read someone for what seems to me like no reason.
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:27 am

Post by Egix96 »

Well done town! I love it when I see town win a game :D
In post 659, Chara wrote:i should have known Qubu had a guilty on me from his opening and preemptively claimed a PR, but i misremembered who we'd blocked last night. thought we had blocked Qubu, but that was Gemini and i foolishly changed it. just a major misplay in general.
Aww, it's okay. I hope you don't feel too bad about that mistake.
Qubu
Qubu
Townie
Qubu
Townie
Townie

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 am

Post by Qubu »

In post 666, schadd_ wrote:honestly not that partial to this specific setup - town's reads obviously mattered but townplay didn't really affect the game after n1.

obviously there's something to be said about listening to town players who seem good - rc's reads were good enough to win by the end of d1. like, there wasn't a way to know that for certain obviously, nor was there an obvious way to find out rc is a very experienced player (that i remember - maybe he said "i am a very experienced town player" idr), but figuring out how to gather that information has effects on your reads that should b pretty clear. that may have factored into qubu's peek idk

make sure you're thinking about PR stuff in terms of what you need to do to end the game - gemini was saying stuff like "massclaim makes it easy for scum to figure out what to do" and people didn't dispute that right away. given that you know a cop and a roleblocker exists - what happens if the second PR claims or doesn't claim? keeping in mind that any claim occurring in lylo will at best bring the game to a 1v1 since the last mafia can counterclaim it.
A combination of RC's read on Alonzo/Chara and the really terrible triple post by Chara to End Day 1 was why I investigated Chara. I was sure Chara was scum before I got the result back, after a reread of day 1.

I thought Cobbler was Neo D2 from the fast vote on me (cause I'd turn up as non-vt). That died down pretty fast though and LE was obv Neo pretty fast Day 3, even before the claim.

I will say i was shocked I survived N1 over RC. When RC turned up dead I would have been all in on Chara even without an investigation. The RC kill made zero sense from any perspective other than scum easing pressure.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 am

Post by Chara »

In post 668, RadiantCowbells wrote:One of my favorite scumtells which applied to Chara this game is when a bunch of people town read someone for what seems to me like no reason.
:good:
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 am

Post by Chara »

In post 670, Qubu wrote:A combination of RC's read on Alonzo/Chara and the really terrible triple post by Chara to End Day 1 was why I investigated Chara. I was sure Chara was scum before I got the result back, after a reread of day 1.
the worst part is this is the
second
time i've been caught as scum for doing this. i really need to fix this issue.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 am

Post by schadd_ »

an incidental thing: theoretically the correct cop play is to find the result that gives you the most information on a player rather than the most likely guilty result. for example, if somebody is already like consensus scum and is very likely going to be lynch no matter what you do, you probably shouldn't bother investigating them. so like in theory if you were very sure chara was scum and were willing to push it whether you had a result or not, then a different check would have been better. in practice though this result won the game and it's generally just a good mindset that your most confident read is still going to be worth confirming with an investigative since very few people can claim to have like more than a 75% scumread on a slot reliably in my experience
free darius mccollum

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:34 am

That's not true when you can't necessarily get a Lynch without a guilty

The way I use cops now is hilarious most of the time because I usually go for like my third strongest townread

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”