Overkill 1: Serenity/Firefly (GAME OVER)

RightKnight
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4625 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am

Post by RightKnight »

In post 4606, RightKnight wrote:Quite honestly though

Every other night or first night no kill is broken AF and needs fixing for a future run

And scum and SK need serious bumping up

One JK against two cops and two SKs is just bad

Especially when SKs will want to claim vig and will actively hunt scum

~~Math
And LR totally fucked us. Nico/McMenno were obvscum and Thor should never have been pushing us so hard as SK in a multi-scum game. I wanted to shoot Chick/Gamma but Math convinced me to NK RR. :/
Things are as they are. Looking out into it the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.
~ Alan Watts
RightKnight
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4626 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 am

Post by RightKnight »

In post 4621, Malakittens wrote:Scum lost I lost it was a good day
Our lynch guaranteed that.

~N
Things are as they are. Looking out into it the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.
~ Alan Watts
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4627 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:58 am

Post by Toogeloo »

One thing that I think needs addressing A50, is that you basically encouraged us to flavor game by removing our flavor in an attempt to get us to not flavor game. Town needed a few Vanilla in order for Scum to have a bit more safety in their claims. I do like the off the wall roles since that could also encourage some wild roles to be thought up, like Enabler, scum to hide in, but role madness allowed for town to discern the identities of players simply based on their powers. I only had 3 players wrong in my flavor spec before you announced it, and if you are trying to hide our identities before our flips, then there definitely needed to be more room for doubt in who was what role.
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4628 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:59 am

Post by BuJaber »

In post 4627, Toogeloo wrote:One thing that I think needs addressing A50, is that you basically encouraged us to flavor game by removing our flavor in an attempt to get us to not flavor game. Town needed a few Vanilla in order for Scum to have a bit more safety in their claims. I do like the off the wall roles since that could also encourage some wild roles to be thought up, like Enabler, scum to hide in, but role madness allowed for town to discern the identities of players simply based on their powers. I only had 3 players wrong in my flavor spec before you announced it, and if you are trying to hide our identities before our flips, then there definitely needed to be more room for doubt in who was what role.
This is an excellent point.
RightKnight
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4629 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 am

Post by RightKnight »

In post 4627, Toogeloo wrote:One thing that I think needs addressing A50, is that you basically encouraged us to flavor game by removing our flavor in an attempt to get us to not flavor game. Town needed a few Vanilla in order for Scum to have a bit more safety in their claims. I do like the off the wall roles since that could also encourage some wild roles to be thought up, like Enabler, scum to hide in, but role madness allowed for town to discern the identities of players simply based on their powers. I only had 3 players wrong in my flavor spec before you announced it, and if you are trying to hide our identities before our flips, then there definitely needed to be more room for doubt in who was what role.
In post 4628, BuJaber wrote:
This is an excellent point.
+1

Yup, yup, we were done for, once Chick checked us. A50 can say fakeclaiming MD enabler would have helped but I don’t think it explains away that damning pic.

~Nancy
~ Alan Watts
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #4630 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 am

Post by Almost50 »

Very good advice. I am skeptical about submitting the Overkill II setup to be reviewed for mechanical reasons, but I made the flavour cannot be gamed already (safe claims are available for all non-town roles). It's a completely different flavour btw.

Modded 2 Opens & 2 Large Themed games successfully.
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #4631 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:14 am

Post by Almost50 »

In post 4629, RightKnight wrote:Yup, yup, we were done for, once Chick checked us. A50 can say fakeclaiming MD enabler would have helped but I don’t think it explains away that damning pic.
Well, it wouldn't have saved you at THIS point, but it still was more interesting than Doctor Enabler, tbh.

Oh, well.. I t was interesting to see you try still. That was fun on its own. :]

RightKnight
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
RightKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4632 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 am

Post by RightKnight »

In post 4631, Almost50 wrote:
In post 4629, RightKnight wrote:Yup, yup, we were done for, once Chick checked us. A50 can say fakeclaiming MD enabler would have helped but I don’t think it explains away that damning pic.
Well, it wouldn't have saved you at THIS point, but it still was more interesting than Doctor Enabler, tbh.

Oh, well.. I t was interesting to see you try still. That was fun on its own. :]
Why would we assume an MD even existed in the game and you initially tried to talk us out of it, until I insisted.

*confused*

~N
~ Alan Watts
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4633 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:18 am

Post by Jingle »

There were simply too many on the nose/unlynchable roles. We probs should have been vt as well as book not being priest. If playing with heavy flavor you need to make sure it can’t be manipulated like that. If you’d like I’d be happy to lend a hand with balance for the next setup, btw.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4634 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:19 am

Post by Jingle »

I’d have turbo lynched a md enabler claim btw. The reason I wanted you to go last was because pretty much everything except doc enabler was a scumclaim.
This is a Parachute.
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #4635 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:23 am

Post by Almost50 »

In post 4632, RightKnight wrote:Why would we assume an MD even existed in the game and you initially tried to talk us out of it, until I insisted.
I tried to talk you out of claiming Motion Detector, not Enabler to Motion Detector. Double check your PMs

Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4636 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:23 am

Post by Toogeloo »

I would also consider adding a rule in regards to how much of our role we are allowed to share.

Discussion about how roles were formatted played pretty predominantly during the game, so if you wanted to nip that in the bud, you could just simply add a rule that no discussion of role pms be allowed at all, and have the sample town role pm placed at the beginning, and that be the end of it.
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #4637 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 am

Post by Almost50 »

In post 4633, Jingle wrote:There were simply too many on the nose/unlynchable roles. We probs should have been vt as well as book not being priest. If playing with heavy flavor you need to make sure it can’t be manipulated like that. If you’d like I’d be happy to lend a hand with balance for the next setup, btw.
I thought about it, but I also enjoyed seeing you play and wanted to have you as a player in that next game. Hmmm.. I'll ask Varsoon if he wants to play instead of review though.

CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4638 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:27 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

A50 thank you so much for hosting this game it's definitely one of my favs. I really enjoyed this. :)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4639 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:29 am

Post by Jingle »

Tbh, I very rarely play in Larges. I find they tend to end up like this one where I just don't give a damn towards the endgame. This one had a pretty perfect storm of interesting mechanics, great flavor, and people I like to play with and I still ended up being a lump for a large portion of the endgame.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4640 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:31 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 4638, CheekyTeeky wrote:A50 thank you so much for hosting this game it's definitely one of my favs. I really enjoyed this. :)
Oh yeah. Totes.

Also, I enjoyed playing with each and every one of you. If you guys ever need replacements for games you're in, feel free to ask.
This is a Parachute.
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4641 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:32 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Yeah I prefer smaller games too. But I have to say the games I've found to be the most fun D1 are larges. I'll put this game up there with once upon a time and Team Mafia in terms of whiplash fun D1.
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #4642 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 am

Post by Chara »

i also enjoy larger games. i joined because of the playerlist and the mod. <3
i don't think scum needed more power, but the flavour did really mess with them. it made figuring out who had to be town easier than it should have been.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #4643 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:44 am

Post by Almost50 »

Well, you don't know how much it please me to learn you had fun playing this game. Definitely the most important aspect on my mind when designing a game is "how will this feel if I was in their shoes". That's why I gave special attention to some roles (like giving the Survivor a 1-shot BP).

@Jingle: OK.. I'll submit the preliminary setup roles (w.o. the flavour, for ease) and add you to the thread.

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4644 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:46 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 4636, Toogeloo wrote:Discussion about how roles were formatted played pretty predominantly during the game, so if you wanted to nip that in the bud, you could just simply add a rule that no discussion of role pms be allowed at all, and have the sample town role pm placed at the beginning, and that be the end of it.
I disagree with this on a number of levels.

The best way to discourage flavorgaming imo is simply to give the town a reason not to want to flavor game. (Public mechanics like Scum has a role that can kill someone if they know their identity.) Failing that, good fakeclaims for every scum player. (which means you can't have all the main characters be town in most cases.) Failing that redacted flavor is an interesting idea, but you also have to take into account potential flavor clears, like Flicker, for roles that are too on the nose. Thief was like a perfect role for that style of game.

Also, I don't think this was as mechanically unbalanced as people think, considering that town did manage to functionally lynch scum every day. There just needed to be a few more myslynchable town slots.

In hindsight, Inara could probably have been a commuter or something instead of invalidating a whole night. Book could probably have been a Visitor or something to throw off the accuracy of the MD a little and prevent a "There's literally no one else that makes sense as a priest" situation. And the masonry could have been a neighborhood easily, because then we could have been literally anyone and MIGHT have trusted each other instead of being pretty much untouchable the whole game. But a large portion of town's win was that some of us (Not me) started recognizing obvtown players very early on.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4645 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 4641, CheekyTeeky wrote:Yeah I prefer smaller games too. But I have to say the games I've found to be the most fun D1 are larges. I'll put this game up there with once upon a time and Team Mafia in terms of whiplash fun D1.
TM D1 was fun? I remember that as running around hoping the world didn't fall apart. :lol:
This is a Parachute.
Reasonably Rational
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4646 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 am

Post by Reasonably Rational »

RK(the operative I assume?)'s role PM?
-Cerb
Show
"We'll see who is bad at mafia after I've lynched you." - RadiantCowbells

"Reasonably Rational was bubbled on Day 2. They were Lapis Lazuli, aligned with The Crystal Gems"(town) - Varsoon

A hydra of Drixx and Cerberus v666
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4647 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 4599, Almost50 wrote:The predetermined mechanic for the kills was simple: SK1 (Operative) has a priority 1 on odd nights, and 2 on even nights. SK2 (Reaver) has a priority 1 on Even nights and 2 on odd nights. HoB kill has a priority 3 always.
Huh. I honestly thought it'd be something along the lines of a prewritten list of the characters and the order they died would be a balancing factor.

Like, Traitor>HoB1>HoB2 and Book>Wash>Simon>Mal>Chick>etc.
This is a Parachute.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4648 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:19 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 4618, Almost50 wrote:
In post 4615, Reasonably Rational wrote:
In post 4614, Almost50 wrote:There's nothing much in ANY of the PTs, but I will hold for the next 48 hrs to see if anyone objects to the release of their PT.
*sad face*

~D
LOL.. oh yeah... you had some stuff but I never got it in real time. :lol:

Watch me discuss Queen and Freddie Mercury with Jingle in the Masons PT. Watch Tails talking to me about most everything when he was left alone in the HoB PT. TPFKAP asked for their own PT but didn't use it in any way. Even the dead thread wasn't active enough to call it a discussion.
TPFKAP squandering PTs like the garbage he is
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4649 (ISO) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:26 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

wow
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”