YyottaCat
YyottaCat
Goon
YyottaCat
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 am

Post by YyottaCat »

Wow is there seriously more than four scums in this game?
Show
My signature in 2018-2019:
Fun Fact: This is a fact. Burger king foot lettuce isn't.
Fun Fact: The above fact is a fact.

My thoughts on my signature in 2018-2019:
What in the world even is "Burger king foot lettuce"?
I know what Burger King is but what is foot lettuce?
Is it lettuce made out of feet? Geez, I'm so different than how I used to be.
Leodanny
Leodanny
Goon
Leodanny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 am

Post by Leodanny »

I hope not.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 am

Post by Creature »

Cool

I'm already very confident Leodanny is town
Sigh
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

In post 29, Creature wrote:Cool

I'm already very confident Leodanny is town
I could see that.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Leodanny
Leodanny
Goon
Leodanny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 am

Post by Leodanny »

Kaythanks, but why?
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:41 am

Post by OkaPoka »

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, while playing and reading other games. On the subject of the whole RVS thing, why do we do RVS and is it really the best? I was wondering if we could find any alternatives to RVS because the whole thing is kinda well, random, and Day 1’s feel a bit too random in my taste.

So here’s my thought process behind the point of RVS. It’s not really supposed to be random, your supposed to vote people you know to sort of reaction test them or do an early wagon, something along those ideas to basically sort the awkward people from the smooth and suave. But playing a bunch of newbie games, where half the player list is unrecognizable and awkward no matter what, because they are newbies leads me to the belief that day 1 really is just a newbie/not_mafia genocide of sorts, not a good place to kill scum, you know what I mean? And voting people you are familiar with, it’s not really fair right? People should always shake up their meta a bit to find what’s optimal, at least I do it a lot because I’m still trying to find that successful style, and I doubt anyone has perfected their game. Voting your friends and not getting the right reaction is punishing them for trying to do better, or voting your friends and getting the right reaction can lead to bad townreads (because the point of scum is to look town!)

So then I was thinking, does RVS provide anything more? There exists the claim about interactions in RVS to find associatives and stuff, but I feel like we’ve evolved as site enough to understand that RVS is too jokey to be taken seriously, it's all wifom, people who claim they found the scum team in RVS are most likely full of themselves.

Considering all of these reasons for why RVS kinda sucks, I read the wiki and some articles on RVS, and they mostly pointed to the same ideas: RVS sucks but it’s alternatives are worse. Don’t do RQS blah blah blah.

But what makes RQS garbage? Looking at the wiki article, the disadvantages are that the questions suck, but is it really that hard to create some good questions rather than begin the game with lighthearted and low pressure playstyle? If we ask the right questions, maybe RQS won’t lead us to scum, but it’s a great way to philosophically start the game, get to know how each person plays and processes the game so we don’t genocide the unfamiliar. Maybe for people unfamiliar with the player list, it’ll help a lot, and it’ll establish some basic guidelines of how people process games so in the future of the game, town can come back to the beginning and look for inconsistencies and the scum override-al of normal town behavior relative to the person.

Anyways this post was a roundabout attempt of starting a better, “enlightened” RQS rather than going with the same old RVS. Let’s start a discussion on why RQS sucks, why we do RVS. But let’s get down to the meat of the reasons why, like the fundamental ideas of your beliefs. You’ve seen my thought process of RVS and RQS, so what’s your thought process?

Pedit: I know people don't like reading large blocs of text and skip to the end, but please just read this one.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:53 am

Post by Varsoon »

I don't think RVS or RQS suck, I just think that people use RVS as an excuse to not have to be held accountable for their early play.
VOTE: OkaPoka

But why are you dropping a thick text block theorycrafting instead of addressing the fact we've got a wagon at L-3?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:00 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Leodanny do you want my answer or creature's?

Oka, that's a discussion better left for MD. If you want RQS, start asking questions. Personally, my solution is usually to just vote the scummiest person even if they haven't done much yet. That's what I did here. Any thoughts on yyotta?
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:02 am

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 33, Varsoon wrote:I don't think RVS or RQS suck, I just think that people use RVS as an excuse to not have to be held accountable for their early play.

But why are you dropping a thick text block theorycrafting instead of addressing the fact we've got a wagon at L-3?
Do you think scum or town or both alignments do that? Is it a person thing or an alignment thing? Why do you think people act this way?

I don't feel like I need to address the wagon? It exists, great. But nothing has been said so far that makes me feel like I can make a judgement call on someone's alignment. L-3 isn't L-1.
Leodanny
Leodanny
Goon
Leodanny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 am

Post by Leodanny »

I want both. Also, I think this giant block of text by Oka’s kinda weird, since it should probably go in discussion or the wiki(?).
Leodanny
Leodanny
Goon
Leodanny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 am

Post by Leodanny »

Also, hi again Varsoon!
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 am

Post by OkaPoka »

If everyone is willing to answer my questions and a serious version of RQS, then we can establish some fundamental ideas of how people play to help us not lynch then unfamiliar and detect what is opportunism for them vs just trying to create pressure.

Maybe it should go to MD, but not everyone will answer the question(s), and the point is that we get the entire playerlist discussing something game-related and start the game off serious rather than joke-y
mbaki
mbaki
Mafia Scum
mbaki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 am

Post by mbaki »

I believe KMD is aligned with the town.
mbaki
mbaki
Mafia Scum
mbaki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 am

Post by mbaki »

OkaPoka, this game is off to a fine start and we are already past RVS. Save your justice crusade for another lobby.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 35, OkaPoka wrote:
In post 33, Varsoon wrote:I don't think RVS or RQS suck, I just think that people use RVS as an excuse to not have to be held accountable for their early play.

Do you think scum or town or both alignments do that? Is it a person thing or an alignment thing? Why do you think people act this way?

I don't feel like I need to address the wagon? It exists, great. But nothing has been said so far that makes me feel like I can make a judgement call on someone's alignment. L-3 isn't L-1.
I think both alignments do it and it's a site-meta thing.

I think that it's a nice bit for a thread on the General Mafia Discussion forums and really doesn't have much place here, given we're already out of RVS.
Please engage with the game at hand.

VOTE: YyottaCat
Alright now it's L-2.
What do you think of the wagon and the players voting it, OkaPoka?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 am

Post by Creature »

The font is weird.
Sigh
Suka
Suka
Goon
Suka
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:12 am

Post by Suka »

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 am

Post by Creature »

In post 32, OkaPoka wrote:I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, while playing and reading other games. On the subject of the whole RVS thing, why do we do RVS and is it really the best? I was wondering if we could find any alternatives to RVS because the whole thing is kinda well, random, and Day 1’s feel a bit too random in my taste.

So here’s my thought process behind the point of RVS. It’s not really supposed to be random, your supposed to vote people you know to sort of reaction test them or do an early wagon, something along those ideas to basically sort the awkward people from the smooth and suave. But playing a bunch of newbie games, where half the player list is unrecognizable and awkward no matter what, because they are newbies leads me to the belief that day 1 really is just a newbie/not_mafia genocide of sorts, not a good place to kill scum, you know what I mean? And voting people you are familiar with, it’s not really fair right? People should always shake up their meta a bit to find what’s optimal, at least I do it a lot because I’m still trying to find that successful style, and I doubt anyone has perfected their game. Voting your friends and not getting the right reaction is punishing them for trying to do better, or voting your friends and getting the right reaction can lead to bad townreads (because the point of scum is to look town!)

So then I was thinking, does RVS provide anything more? There exists the claim about interactions in RVS to find associatives and stuff, but I feel like we’ve evolved as site enough to understand that RVS is too jokey to be taken seriously, it's all wifom, people who claim they found the scum team in RVS are most likely full of themselves.

Considering all of these reasons for why RVS kinda sucks, I read the wiki and some articles on RVS, and they mostly pointed to the same ideas: RVS sucks but it’s alternatives are worse. Don’t do RQS blah blah blah.

But what makes RQS garbage? Looking at the wiki article, the disadvantages are that the questions suck, but is it really that hard to create some good questions rather than begin the game with lighthearted and low pressure playstyle? If we ask the right questions, maybe RQS won’t lead us to scum, but it’s a great way to philosophically start the game, get to know how each person plays and processes the game so we don’t genocide the unfamiliar. Maybe for people unfamiliar with the player list, it’ll help a lot, and it’ll establish some basic guidelines of how people process games so in the future of the game, town can come back to the beginning and look for inconsistencies and the scum override-al of normal town behavior relative to the person.

Anyways this post was a roundabout attempt of starting a better, “enlightened” RQS rather than going with the same old RVS. Let’s start a discussion on why RQS sucks, why we do RVS. But let’s get down to the meat of the reasons why, like the fundamental ideas of your beliefs. You’ve seen my thought process of RVS and RQS, so what’s your thought process?

Pedit: I know people don't like reading large blocs of text and skip to the end, but please just read this one.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 am

Post by Creature »

In post 31, Leodanny wrote:Kaythanks, but why?
In post 27, YyottaCat wrote:Wow is there seriously more than four scums in this game?
In post 28, Leodanny wrote:I hope not.
I think you derped here.
Sigh
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:40 am

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 41, Varsoon wrote:
In post 35, OkaPoka wrote:

I think both alignments do it and it's a site-meta thing.

I think that it's a nice bit for a thread on the General Mafia Discussion forums and really doesn't have much place here, given we're already out of RVS.
Please engage with the game at hand.

VOTE: YyottaCat
Alright now it's L-2.
What do you think of the wagon and the players voting it, OkaPoka?
i think you l2ing yvotta to test me is cool, but ultimately meaningless

what is interesting is that suka moved off, though it wasn't explicitly stated i think there is the implication of her being worried of a yvotta fast hammer. but i want to hear actual words from her.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Can we lynch VOTE: Suka now?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Leodanny
Leodanny
Goon
Leodanny
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:50 am

Post by Leodanny »

In post 45, Creature wrote:
In post 31, Leodanny wrote:Kaythanks, but why?
In post 27, YyottaCat wrote:Wow is there seriously more than four scums in this game?
In post 28, Leodanny wrote:I hope not.
I think you derped here.
What do you mean?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:51 am

Post by northsidegal »

-