Newbie 1908 [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
vivit
vivit
Townie
vivit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Post by vivit »

I mention in #94 that
He seems like he's still getting the hang of Mafia (
this has been commented on in past threads
) so this definitely doesn't seem like a scum rush
In post 384, Trivium wrote: He seems kind of newish in some ways, like he's still getting the hang of mafia, no offense to xwing.
You quote mini 2048 post 384 in a post on the first page of your post history; I didn't need to go digging that deep. On the other hand, if any relevant information is in Flavor Leaf's or Nauci's post histories, it's buried deeper than I have the dedication to dig at the moment.

Re: RVS -- RVS is a time for the town to get people talking and see who is acting suspicious. It's an opportunity to get reads before you start scumhunting for real. Scum, on the other hand, want lynches to happen as quickly as possible so the townies don't have the time to gather information or think it over carefully -- and hanging around in RVS is just going to give the town time to get reads on them. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's easier for scum to argue why a specific townie should be lynched than it is for them to act casual and blend in. Scum have to hold a stronger poker face during RVS.

Scumhunting with good reads is bad for scum, but scumhunting with
out
good reads is
good
for scum.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Post by skitter30 »

VOTE COUNT 1.3
rosterfoster (2)
- flavor leaf, salamander

salamander (2)
- vivit, xwing

flavor leaf (2)
- nauci, komodo

komodo (1)
- munchmellow

munchmellow (1)
- jim hawkins

jim hawkins (1)
- rosterfoster

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline:
(expired on 2018-12-30 23:00:00)

mod notes:

- xwing is vla on weekends, and will be v/la until 12/27
- :)
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Post by Nauci »

Spiderverse was 11/10

Go see it

That is all
Jim Hawkins
Jim Hawkins
Townie
Jim Hawkins
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Post by Jim Hawkins »

Been catching up on my phone throughout the past day or so. I sort of feel like I'm in a class discussion that I didn't do the reading for. Several people seem to already know each other and have pre-established relationships. I sort of feel like an outsider in this thread.
In post 42, rosterfoster wrote:
In post 40, Jim Hawkins wrote:
In post 36, Flavor Leaf wrote:I kind of liked it. He was in RVS (random voting stage) mode, and someone pushed him for joking around. I think it’s valid of him to turn it back around. Great starting point to push us out of RVS.
I found the interaction interesting as well, perhaps for later reflection on overall character. But is it really all that substantial, from either perspective? Is it really enough to warrant the idea of moving out of RVS so early?
I'm not trying to diminish or negate any part of RosterFoster and Salamander's exchange....I'm just curious how much weight we should actually give it.
Jim just seems to be asking rhetorical questions and not giving a view (even if that view is 'IDK'). He is simultaneously trying to say that the interaction is unimportant (which is a valid view), while trying to make sure I'm not offended. This fence-sitting offends me slightly.
You analyze the possible motive (or lack thereof) behind my questions, and yet don't provide any direct answers yourself. This is my second game, and I am legitimately curious how much weight to give a conversation on Day 1 Page 1 versus Day 2 Page 16. Is there really anything worthwhile we can glean from this right now? Is it worth coming back to later in the game? I'm honestly curious.

So far, I'm leaning town on vivit and Nauci, but pretty null on everyone else.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:50 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 98, Flavor Leaf wrote:I’ve also played in newbie games throughout the past year and a half and have never rolled scum in a newbie.
U fockin' wot m8

Side note, @everyone:

If you highlight a portion of a post and hit quote, it'll quote just the highlighted portion. Super useful!

Unless you're on mobile and accidentally hit Report 3 consecutive times and get mad and give up

Not that I would know anything about that
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:35 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 103, Jim Hawkins wrote:versus Day 2 Page 16
You'd be amazed how many newbie games are over by page 16
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Post by Nauci »

In post 103, Jim Hawkins wrote:I'm leaning town on vivit and Nauci
Y tho
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

In post 92, Komodo wrote:
In post 91, Nauci wrote:This is a good batch we have right here

Happy holidays everybody

I'm baking cookies and cooking the rest of the day

But not before doing this VOTE: FLAVOR LEAF
VOTE: Flavor Leaf
@Komodo, just curious, why did you follow Nauci here?

Roster reads town to me, so does xwing.
After last few posts I'm also gonna go town for vivit.
Not so sure about Nauci - could be either.
Null read for Komodo.
Based on his few posts, it would be fair not to decide about Jim. But he reads more scum than town to me.
Flover Leaf is really hard to read for me. He seems townie but could easily be scum, specially with his experience.
So, VOTE: Flavor Leaf and see where that brings us.
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

In post 94, vivit wrote:Munchmellow: Not many posts, not much to go on, but a bit more active than Jim Hawkins, so lurker vibes are weaker.
Keeping my vote on Salamander for now.
I agree, I could be more active. It takes some effort from me to write in English (which I only actively use once every few years on vacation and playing mafia is quite different from ordering pizza and beer). I'm getting a grip on it, so hopefully it will come more naturally after few days.
So yeah, not lurking, just language barrier.
Komodo
Komodo
Townie
Komodo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Post by Komodo »

In post 107, Munchmellow wrote:@Komodo, just curious, why did you follow Nauci here?
Same reason you did. Plus I hella bought what Nauci was selling in and . I can't say I have any master plans at this moment in time, and that wagon seemed like it would provide the most interesting results. He has the most experience out of everyone, and if I had to make an official first move, it'd be for the person that has the best chance of deceiving town if he was scum.

Not to say that I have a huge read on him, but I feel my vote would produce the best results from him.
Munchmellow wrote:
In post 94, vivit wrote:Munchmellow: Not many posts, not much to go on, but a bit more active than Jim Hawkins, so lurker vibes are weaker.
Keeping my vote on Salamander for now.
I agree, I could be more active. It takes some effort from me to write in English (which I only actively use once every few years on vacation and playing mafia is quite different from ordering pizza and beer). I'm getting a grip on it, so hopefully it will come more naturally after few days.
So yeah, not lurking, just language barrier.
Can I ask what your native language is?
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Post by Nauci »

I like how the game where I have been the least serious has been the one where I've been taken most seriously :lol:
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Post by Nauci »

Not to say I've been lying or anything; I just haven't put my effort pants on yet

Part of why I joined a newbie is because I wanted more experience reading players without doing extensive, hardcore meta dives

Instead of looking at whether or not a player's habits and tone match their previous games as whichever alignment, it's almost purely about figuring out who has the most genuine posting and consistent and clear read progression

Flavor Leaf is only an exception here because I have enough experience with him outside of newbie games that it would confuse my understanding of his probably dramatically different demeanor as a teaching role in newbie games
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

In post 109, Komodo wrote:Same reason you did. Plus I hella bought what Nauci was selling in 86 and 88. I can't say I have any master plans at this moment in time, and that wagon seemed like it would provide the most interesting results. He has the most experience out of everyone, and if I had to make an official first move, it'd be for the person that has the best chance of deceiving town if he was scum.

Not to say that I have a huge read on him, but I feel my vote would produce the best results from him.
I agree. Was actually thinking of voting for Jim, but that just seemed so... boring.
Komodo wrote: Can I ask what your native language is?
It's Slovenian.
rosterfoster
rosterfoster
Mafia Scum
rosterfoster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 am

Post by rosterfoster »

In post 103, Jim Hawkins wrote:You analyze the possible motive (or lack thereof) behind my questions, and yet don't provide any direct answers yourself. This is my second game, and I am legitimately curious how much weight to give a conversation on Day 1 Page 1 versus Day 2 Page 16. Is there really anything worthwhile we can glean from this right now? Is it worth coming back to later in the game? I'm honestly curious.

So far, I'm leaning town on vivit and Nauci, but pretty null on everyone else.
Your questions all seemed rhetorical to me, which is why I didn’t answer them. I’m not sure it’s worth spending your time asking if what we’re doing is worthwhile - as I see it, anything which provokes a discussion about people is worthwhile, and we seem to have that now.

As Nauci said, I’d be interested to know why you think that.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Oh, I’m L-2 now. Scum’s on my wagon already.

I didn’t like Munch’s hop on me. And the fact he called me Flover. :lol:

He said I seemed townie, yet decided to put me to L-2. Interesting.

VOTE: Munch

Time to move off my RVS.
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:08 am

Post by Nauci »

She*
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:09 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

She, sorry. Also, you wanted newbie games of mine, right?
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:10 am

Post by Nauci »

In post 114, Flavor Leaf wrote:He said I seemed townie, yet decided to put me to L-2. Interesting.

Why munch when she said basically the same reasoning as Komodo?
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:10 am

Post by Nauci »

In post 116, Flavor Leaf wrote:She, sorry. Also, you wanted newbie games of mine, right?
Ones that you feel represent your play well

But it's kind of moot because I asked due to not easily finding a scum game and you said you haven't had one o_o
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:12 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 117, Nauci wrote:
In post 114, Flavor Leaf wrote:He said I seemed townie, yet decided to put me to L-2. Interesting.

Why munch when she said basically the same reasoning as Komodo?
Timing. Munch was the L-2 vote.

I like the reasoning coming from the second vote when applying it towards the beginning of the wagon, but in newbie games the 3rd vote is much scummier than the 2nd. You can physically feel it, like when we had 3 votes on roster.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:15 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:21 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

To be fair, i do see some town coming from Munch. Like I get the vote as town, but I also get the vote as scum. I’m trying to get into that mindset more to figure out what it’s coming from.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:25 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I also looked back and Komodo just voted, and didn’t do the same reasoning as Munch.

Munch’s reasoning is what piqued my interests. I care less about an early wagon random naked vote. Scum can do that, but it’s just circular WIFOM discussion until further stuff happens.
Salamander
Salamander
Townie
Salamander
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

Post by Salamander »

I like all the discussion, although as a newbie I'm a little on some of the terms. What does WIFOM mean?
Salamander
Salamander
Townie
Salamander
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

Post by Salamander »

A little lost*

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”