Newbie 1909 | Scheme | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 am

Post by Plotinus »

u r a person 2 replaces Dell! Please welcome them!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 am

Post by EGL »

@loop you mean 168 and 169? 167 just says he was skimming before replacing in.

Also, welcome child.

Also, dicideaq said he thought
town
would be quiet and not scum. Not trying to speak for him or defend him (I'd like him to start saying words that contribute to the finding of scum) but it was in the quote you included.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.05 Abstracter Abstraction
Well we don't want always to find products. Sometimes we want to find sums. Also we did it recursively last time so let's do it iteratively this time. Recursion has two meanings in computer science and I don't want to confuse them. The first meaning is a procedure which calls itself. In that sense, all the procedures I've shown you have been recursive. For-each does exist in Scheme but it'll be many votecounts before I introduce it because we won't use it until we really need it and we don't need it yet.

The other meaning of recursion is a process that grows horizontally instead of just linearly. If you drew out all the evaluation steps it makes a kind of triangle, which the things it's holding in memory getting bigger and bigger. Imagine that Harry wants to add 4 and 7 so he gives the 4 to George and then George remembers 1 and hands a 3 to Fred, who remembers 1 and hands a 2 to Edith, who remembers 1 and hands a 1 to Dorothy, who remembers 1 and hands a 0 to Cathy, and then they pass the ones back up the line, adding them onto the 7 one at a time until you get 11.

So here is an accumulator that grows linearly. Because the only recursion is in a tail-call (the very last thing that iter-accumulate calls is itself), the compiler recognises that this is happening and doesn't keep the last iteration in memory, so the stack doesn't grow with each iteration, it doesn't take up more and more memory.

Accumulate takes a lot of arguments. Combiner will tell it whether we're doing products, sums, or something else. null-value is to help it get started: adding 0 or multiplying by 1 or something. If it doesn't need to do any iterations at all, this is what'll return. func is the same thing it was last time, a function that we're iterating over. When we were approximating pi it was (2n/(2n -1)) * (2n/(2n +1)). this-a is the current number that it's looking at. next-a is a function that tells it how to get to the next-a. last-a is our end point. In the internal function, answer is where we keep track of what we've figured out so far.

(define
(accumulate combiner null-value func this-a next-a last-a) (define
(iter-accumulate answer this-a last-a) (if
(> this-a last-a)
answer
(iter-accumulate
(combiner
(func this-a)
answer)
(next-a this-a) last-a)
)
) (iter-accumulate null-value this-a last-a)
)

Well now we can do products like this:

(define
(product func a next b) (accumulate * 1 func a next b)
)

And summations like this:

(define
(sum func a next b) (accumulate + 0 func a next b)
)

factorial now looks like:

(define
(factorial n) (product + 1 1+ n)
)

sum of squares is now just

(define
(sum-squares a b) (sum square a 1+ b)
)

And it's lightning fast. This is the biggest number that doesn't make a noticable delay on my ancient computer, and by unnoticable I mean < 100 miliseconds.

scheme@(guile-user)> (sum-squares 1 500000)
$30 = 41666791666750000

Spoiler: Python version of sumsquares is about 7 times slower, using a while loop to get from a to b.
def
accumulate
(
combiner, nullValue, func, thisa, nexta, lasta
): answer =
nullValue
while
thisa <= lasta: answer =
combiner
(
func
(thisa), answer) thisa =
nexta
(thisa)
return
answer
def
product
(
func, a, nexta, b
):
return
accumulate
(
lambda
x, y
: x * y,
, func, a, nexta, b)
def
sum
(
func, a, nexta, b
):
return
accumulate
(
lambda
x, y
: x + y,
, func, a, nexta, b)
def
sumOfSquares
(
a, b
):
return
sum
(
lambda
x
: x **
, a,
lambda
x:
+ x, b) %timeit
sumOfSquares
(
)
ms ±
ms per loop (mean ± std. dev. of
runs,
loop each)

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

dicideaq
(2): teacher, EGL
Loopdan
(2): Clemency, dicideaq
Child
(1): Loopdan
Clemency
(1): Child

Not Voting
(3): Emperor flippyNips, u r a person 2, Amzela

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-01-06 08:45:00).

Mod notes:
Child is the new ZombieStriker! u r a person 2 is the new Dell![/area]
Last edited by Plotinus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 am

Post by EGL »

Welcome u r a person 2.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

Hey, I'm looking forward to playing with everyone. yadda yadda, I'm on the last day of my vacation and doing an 18 hour drive tomorrow so I'm going to semi active and then I'm going to be not at all active and then I'm going to be active.

Jumping right in, can you give me the full walk through here because I'm trying to see what you're talking about and I'm not.
In post 172, Loopdan wrote:Child knew TTTT was my alt at least four hours before he posted 168, which means he had read post 137. But when he was typing 168 he somehow hadn't read 129 on the same page as 137.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:03 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 178, EGL wrote:Welcome u r a person 2.
and a hearty welcome to you as well!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 am

Post by EGL »

Loop disregard my question. You posted while I was writing mine.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 am

Post by EGL »

U r a person when you can would you share your thoughts on Clemency, child, and dicideaq?
EXTERMINAAATE~!
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:24 am

Post by Clemency »

In post 173, Loopdan wrote:Clem, sheep me and prove you aren't his partner.
sure thing bucko
VOTE: child
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 am

Post by EGL »

@loop How exactly does that prove Clemency isn't his partner again? Scummates will often try to distance themselves from one another in case one of them gets caught, won't they? And since you asked him to do it for that very reason... Are you thinking scum clem would follow along with your request in an attempt at passing as town?
EXTERMINAAATE~!
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:31 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

clemency - town lean. My thinking meshed with his when reading through his interaction with loopdan about the self vote. Nothing I would take to the bank. i did a paper on estonia once upon a time and that might be biasing me here. It seems like a nice country.

child - lemme wait on this until loopdan explains his insight a little better.

dici - I see what ya'll have been talking about and I believe that for some people their openings can be very AI. also the naked vote.. it's a scummy start, no way around it. Could be lynch bait. Dici, if you're town, then I think you're probably struggling to get into this game. I suggest that you talk about your reads, arguments people have made, votes, or really anything at all.

VOTE: Dici
Child
Child
Goon
Child
Goon
Goon

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:32 am

Post by Child »

In post 176, EGL wrote: Also, dicideaq said he thought
town
would be quiet and not scum. Not trying to speak for him or defend him (I'd like him to start saying words that contribute to the finding of scum) but it was in the quote you included.
In post 10, dicideaq wrote: 3. I guess I'd stay quiet
this is what he said when asked about his scum game.
In post 172, Loopdan wrote:Child knew TTTT was my alt at least four hours before he posted , which means he had read post . But when he was typing he somehow hadn't read on the same page as .

Yet looks like he is developing reads as he is going through the game post by post.

I think it's more likely he is manufacturing his reads in than he legitimately only read post on page 6.
my bad. i tried to make a catchup post but couldnt decide whether to do a live reaction one or do a summary, so i ended up doing a mix of both that doesn't work at all.
im gonna say this - i read the topic yesterday, but only slightly skimmed it,to see what's going on, and in case i wanted to replace in and not be completely clueless. I didnt remember much other than you "bullying newbies" and TTTT being your alt, so i posted it to say hello and let others know i have been reading, atleast a bit. im obviously not gonna pay as much attention if im not in the game myself, am i?
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:35 am

Post by EGL »

In post 185, u r a person 2 wrote:clemency - town lean. My thinking meshed with his when reading through his interaction with loopdan about the self vote. Nothing I would take to the bank. i did a paper on estonia once upon a time and that might be biasing me here. It seems like a nice country.

child - lemme wait on this until loopdan explains his insight a little better.

dici - I see what ya'll have been talking about and I believe that for some people their openings can be very AI. also the naked vote.. it's a scummy start, no way around it. Could be lynch bait. Dici, if you're town, then I think you're probably struggling to get into this game. I suggest that you talk about your reads, arguments people have made, votes, or really anything at all.

VOTE: Dici
Good vote.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:40 am

Post by EGL »

@child fair enough. I thought you were referring to his answer to question 4 in your post.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 am

Post by teacher »

In post 174, Loopdan wrote:@Teacher - I don't think I've read any of your games. Are you a better town or scum player?
i think slightly town but I enjoy both. Newb 1882 and mini normal 2016 are good examples t and s respectively.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 184, EGL wrote:@loop How exactly does that prove Clemency isn't his partner again? Scummates will often try to distance themselves from one another in case one of them gets caught, won't they? And since you asked him to do it for that very reason... Are you thinking scum clem would follow along with your request in an attempt at passing as town?
I want some more votes on Child and Clem is the kind of player who isn't afraid to sheep (some people think this makes them look weak, but Clem is a memey player so I don't think he minds). The only insight it really provides is that it looks like his read changed on me, since I was his prior vote.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 179, u r a person 2 wrote:Hey, I'm looking forward to playing with everyone. yadda yadda, I'm on the last day of my vacation and doing an 18 hour drive tomorrow so I'm going to semi active and then I'm going to be not at all active and then I'm going to be active.

Jumping right in, can you give me the full walk through here because I'm trying to see what you're talking about and I'm not.
In post 172, Loopdan wrote:Child knew TTTT was my alt at least four hours before he posted 168, which means he had read post 137. But when he was typing 168 he somehow hadn't read 129 on the same page as 137.
I'll try explaining it the other way around.

Child came into the game and immediately said hi TTTT (one of my alts). Teacher is like how'd you know that so quick have you been following the game? Child is like yeah bro I skimmed it. Then 4 hours later Child posts a play-by-play of the game which shows him developing his reads, and replying to other's posts, and not realizing what I was doing with the L-1 self-vote... until he gets to a post on page 6 where I explained it, and he's like damn bro you got me! But I had mentioned I was TTTT a couple posts above that post on page 6, so if he's already read that page why is he acting like he is developing these reads in his play-by-play.

In other words it looks fake.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:23 am

Post by Loopdan »

Although I do like his most recent reply ().
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 am

Post by Loopdan »

VOTE: dicideaq

This is L-1.
Do not vote dici without first stating your intent to hammer and allowing everyone (including dici) a chance to respond.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 am

Post by teacher »

In post 192, Loopdan wrote:Although I do like his most recent reply ().
i was having a mind meld w you on the initial reaction, but 186 didn’t swing it back to me. 169 (sorry no links from the airport) felt to me almost like someone who saw the disconnect between the skim claim and the reactions post too late after posting, so immediately said it didn’t work.

I’m missing Amzela - I think that slot needs some real time talk. Next time you come on, can you let me know a time to plan to meet you and just live chat? Like it’s now Saturday - let me know any time Monday that works for you and I can shake free for a bit.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 am

Post by teacher »

In post 185, u r a person 2 wrote:clemency -

child -

dici -
Why these three people only? Why them in particular?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 am

Post by teacher »

In post 195, teacher wrote:
In post 185, u r a person 2 wrote:clemency -

child -

dici -
Why these three people only? Why them in particular?
Never mind saw 182. Trouble with phones :facepalm:
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:05 am

Post by EGL »

In post 182, EGL wrote:U r a person when you can would you share your thoughts on Clemency, child, and dicideaq?
@teacher ^

U r was just responding to my question.
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

Post by EGL »

Lol sorry one of those situations again where I was replying when you were posting. My bad. Smartphones are wonderful things, no?
EXTERMINAAATE~!
EGL
EGL
Goon
EGL
Goon
Goon

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 am

Post by EGL »

In post 190, Loopdan wrote:
In post 184, EGL wrote:@loop How exactly does that prove Clemency isn't his partner again? Scummates will often try to distance themselves from one another in case one of them gets caught, won't they? And since you asked him to do it for that very reason... Are you thinking scum clem would follow along with your request in an attempt at passing as town?
I want some more votes on Child and Clem is the kind of player who isn't afraid to sheep (some people think this makes them look weak, but Clem is a memey player so I don't think he minds). The only insight it really provides is that it looks like his read changed on me, since I was his prior vote.
Thanks.
EXTERMINAAATE~!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”