Newbie 1914 | Stuff I Found Online Viii | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/he

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

In post 116, CatStar wrote:Not sure about this open wolfing thing, seems more personality than alignment based to me. I don't take much out of that exchange as I don't know them well enough to be even a bit sure...

@grandwazoo: is your point about overki11 and the TBF and tbh that's they are trying to be a bit vague so they can backtrack later? I don't quite get your point.

@roo: you've mentioned a couple of townie reads, do you have any early scum reads?
using acroryms isnt vague and how would I backtrack easily as scum later with that?
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.05

In the 3rd century of the common era, Chinese mathematician Liu Hui developed a means for determining the height of a distant mountain on another island without crossing the sea. The link explains how to do it.

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

0verki11
(3): GrandWazoo, YellowSnow, Egix96
CatStar
(2): RCEnigma, Birdy
Roo
(2): 0verki11, CatStar

Not Voting
(2): Flavor Leaf, Roo

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-02-04 07:10:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
CatStar
CatStar
Townie
CatStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Post by CatStar »

In post 125, 0verki11 wrote:
In post 116, CatStar wrote:Not sure about this open wolfing thing, seems more personality than alignment based to me. I don't take much out of that exchange as I don't know them well enough to be even a bit sure...

@grandwazoo: is your point about overki11 and the TBF and tbh that's they are trying to be a bit vague so they can backtrack later? I don't quite get your point.

@roo: you've mentioned a couple of townie reads, do you have any early scum reads?
using acroryms isnt vague and how would I backtrack easily as scum later with that?
That was my point, I didn't understand.
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

In post 127, CatStar wrote:
In post 125, 0verki11 wrote:

That was my point, I didn't understand.
tbh= To be honest
tbf= To be fair
None of them really have much meaning, its just something I put in most of my posts.
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

As a force of habit
I swear I didnt click submit.
CatStar
CatStar
Townie
CatStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:35 pm

Post by CatStar »

Regarding other reads... I'm finding it difficult to get other people's reasoning, and find myself thinking everyone could be scum in a hugely paranoid way! Perhaps that's a new thing as first game.

I had been suspicious of GrandWazoo because felt like a lot of posting without content, but that has faded somewhat as feels like they are pushing more now.

Otherwise, nothing solid.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 am

Post by Plotinus »

YellowSnow2 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-01-31 07:01:09) to post before I start looking for a replacement.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
YellowSnow
YellowSnow
Goon
YellowSnow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:18 am

Post by YellowSnow »

I'm here, there's just not much going on yet.
Birdy
Birdy
Townie
Birdy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 am

Post by Birdy »

In post 111, GrandWazoo wrote:Overkil1 has ended multiple posts with "tbf" or "tbh" which strikes me as scum overcompensation. Possible he's not even conscious of it.
This would be a valid critique if the places he were saying this were points of actual controversy or debate. The mushy middle is a comfortable place to be for someone who only wants to be on the popular side in the end.
In post 36, 0verki11 wrote:
In post 35, RCEnigma wrote:Yeah she likes stars instead of planets and cats instead of dogs, keep up.
liking cats over dogs is a scum claim tbf.
In post 94, 0verki11 wrote:
In post 91, Flavor Leaf wrote:
How do you do that?

Most of the time, I click my phone on and just accidentally come online like a social media site.

Must be nice not having it engrained.
I dont know tbh
This is nothing.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:35 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

I direct your attention to the context.
In post 90, 0verki11 wrote:
In post 89, RCEnigma wrote:Can we all agree to stop being so agreeable? I'm going to start thinking everyone's scummy.
I agree
Also I did the thing where I forget FM exists again.
Overkil1 previous post was ~7 hours before this one. How do you forget you're in a game this quickly? FL asks this very question, which Overkil1 doesn't even try to answer.

Am I making too much of this? Possibly. Is it nothing? No.
Birdy
Birdy
Townie
Birdy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:58 am

Post by Birdy »

OverKi is at L-2 at this point, which rightly makes him the primary topic of conversation now. Three people who have voted and continue to vote him now are GrandWazoo, YellowSnow, and Egix96. I'll be reading into these few.
In post 40, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 29, CatStar wrote:@overki11 sorry don't get it, unless you think it's a scummy veiled threat? Or posting about inactivity without trying to remedy?

Did not think a cat based username would be so controversial, what with this being the internet. Still, I regret nothing.
+1

Regret is a scumtell.

VOTE: Overkil1
This original vote appears to be a RVS lynch; "regret is a scumtell", said to catstar, followed by a vote on Overki that remains now.
In post 87, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 85, Birdy wrote: Two town persons who read eachother as town seem to me to be a very strong tool. Having someone who
you can mutually trust
would allow the discussion of reads be so much more fruitful, since you
don't have to worry about the possibility
of their being scum tainting their reads—you
know
the other is
genuine
. That doesn't seem like a small benefit, and will be more useful in the midgame.
At this point in the game it's foolhardy to trust anyone, or to pretend you know anything with certainty. At best you can have a gut townread, which both FL and Roo seem to have on Yellow, but Roo doesn't have on FL. The pocketing strategy discussed above is just one example of how scum can be erroneously townread.

Also, any reason for the vote on Catstar?
I meant that in a theoretical way. Obviously they can't have such trust now. But establishing mutual townreads is a powerful tool, in general.

Cats are cruel, vicious, murderous creatures, who stalk and prey in the night, seeking only to destroy birds and our progeny! What vile, putrid, arrogant, malevolant creatures are they! Precious and innocent bird lives are destroyed daily by these monsters!
In post 117, GrandWazoo wrote:Regarding Overkil1, the use of such qualifiers/amplifiers as "tbh" and "tbf" indicates an overweening desire to be believed that's more likely to come from scum. You shouldn't need to remind anyone that you're being frank and honest as town.
Again, he only said this in two posts, in a very colloquial, non-offensive, not-fencesitting way.
In post 134, GrandWazoo wrote:I direct your attention to the context.
In post 90, 0verki11 wrote:
In post 89, RCEnigma wrote:Can we all agree to stop being so agreeable? I'm going to start thinking everyone's scummy.
I agree
Also I did the thing where I forget FM exists again.
Overkil1 previous post was ~7 hours before this one. How do you forget you're in a game this quickly? FL asks this very question, which Overkil1 doesn't even try to answer.

Am I making too much of this? Possibly. Is it nothing? No.
And if he, in fact, didn't forget the game, then that proves what about him?

FOS GrandWazoo
for sticking with his RVS lynch with terrible reasoning. If he's scum looking for an easy D1 lynch, then I predict that his scumread on Overki picked up significantly when he was placed at L-2. I'll check to see if this is the case real quick.
Birdy
Birdy
Townie
Birdy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 am

Post by Birdy »

In post 6, RCEnigma wrote:VOTE: Overkill
In post 27, RCEnigma wrote:
(Implicit Overkill unvote)
VOTE: Catstar
In post 40, GrandWazoo wrote:VOTE: Overkil1
When Grand
In post 46, YellowSnow wrote:VOTE: kill
In post 98, Egix96 wrote:VOTE: overkill
In post 111, GrandWazoo wrote:Overkil1 has ended multiple posts with "tbf" or "tbh" which strikes me as scum overcompensation. Possible he's not even conscious of it.
In post 112, GrandWazoo wrote:RCE can you explain why you're townreading Overkil1? And why you're voting Catstar?

I see your point about FL, but in my two previous newbie games the ICs have been (more or less intentionally) passive and more given to theoretical issues than gamesolving.
Birdy
Birdy
Townie
Birdy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 am

Post by Birdy »

...Accidentally posted prematurely, but whatever. So essentially GrandWazoo voted Overkill as the first person on the current wagon, still in RVS stage. Egix came in at about post 98, and was the first person on the wagon to give legitimate (albeit debatable) reasons for voting Overkill. This placed Overkill at L-2, designating him as the first major wagon of the game. Shortly after this in posts 111 and 112, GrandWazoo suggests a possible scumread on Overkill—who was previously only an RVS vote—and asks someone to justify their townread on Overkill.

So, yes, this is predicted by my hypothesis that GrandWazoo might be going for an easy D1 lynch. Evidence is lacking this early in the game, but this seems strong.
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 am

Post by RCEnigma »

Mmkay, I won't say I don't like it but. Are you not able to develop a scumread in your RVs vote? If not what is the point of voting at all? It could be random talk stage instead.

Why is it Grandwazoo that's picking the easy day 1 lynch? Do you think it's just convenient happenstance that town followed onto a wagon on town that Grandwazoo didn't have to put work in to achieve? Why isn't yellowsnow mentioned if Egix is the only vote with a legitimate reason?

I think post 40 is your best point and would have served better if you had mentioned that it could be throwing shade onto Catstar to later pivot there. He didn't, but you could have made the case for it.
Roo
Roo
Goon
Roo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:38 am

Post by Roo »

I'm wondering if GrandWazoo has anything more to say about his judgment of "tbh" and "tbf"? Because this in particular seems like a real stretch and I'm wondering why you find it scummy? Especially with the "tbf" being about overkill's personal preference for dogs over cats.
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 am

Post by Egix96 »

In post 117, GrandWazoo wrote:Regarding Overkil1, the use of such qualifiers/amplifiers as "tbh" and "tbf" indicates an overweening desire to be believed that's more likely to come from scum. You shouldn't need to remind anyone that you're being frank and honest as town.
Ehh, that seems like too much of a stretch to me... tbh ;)
YellowSnow
YellowSnow
Goon
YellowSnow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Post by YellowSnow »

agreed. VOTE: grand wazoo
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Damn, RCE really just messed with me.

I do lurk out Day 1 if not forced to come into the conversation.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I just don’t like pushing NAI things and a lot of Day 1 stuff is NAI until it isn’t, generally because it’s NAI until you combine it with other things that happen later in the game.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Also, I didn’t have a gut read, I generally thought he was coming off as townie, and still nothing has come up for me that would make me think otherwise.

I like to think about agendas, and the fact scum like to come off as townie.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Post by GrandWazoo »

@Birdy: Catstar was my RVS vote. Overkil1 was my second vote. While I share your sentiments about cats, your answer about your own Catstar vote was at least as silly and beside the point as my reasons for voting Overkil1.

@Roo: Nope. Just kicking over a hornets nest and seeing what flies out. Could be useful later, even if it doesn't seem so right now.

@Yellow: If my read on Overkil1 was such a stretch, why did you vote him?
0verki11
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
0verki11
they/he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Post by 0verki11 »

In post 145, GrandWazoo wrote:@Birdy: Catstar was my RVS vote. Overkil1 was my second vote. While I share your sentiments about cats, your answer about your own Catstar vote was at least as silly and beside the point as my reasons for voting Overkil1.

@Roo: Nope. Just kicking over a hornets nest and seeing what flies out. Could be useful later, even if it doesn't seem so right now.

@Yellow: If my read on Overkil1 was such a stretch, why did you vote him?
deflection *dab dab*
(the part of the post directed towards Yellow.)
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

Asking players rationale for their vote pattern is pretty basic stuff tbh
Roo
Roo
Goon
Roo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:08 am

Post by Roo »

In post 145, GrandWazoo wrote: @Roo: Nope. Just kicking over a hornets nest and seeing what flies out. Could be useful later, even if it doesn't seem so right now.
I get that it is early in the game and we're trying to gather information. But don't you think is a bit of a misrepresentation? At least in regard to "tbf" which is only in and talks about dogs and cats?
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 am

Post by RCEnigma »

None of this argument is going to be relevant later.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”