Newbie 1915: Africa [Game Over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Post by northsidegal »

VC 1.02

votes
[3] NotMySpamAccount
:
Elements , TTTT , MaryJoLisa2
[1] Tall1s
:
skitter30
[1] cbynumber
:
BBmolla
[1] Elements
:
NotMySpamAccount

[3] Not Voting
:
Salami, cbynumber, Tall1s

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2019-02-10 15:56:59)

Mod Notes
: skitter30 is semi-V/LA until Tuesday the 5th.
Last edited by northsidegal on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
MaryJoLisa2
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa2 »

Yes, I've been confused by calling them scum vs. mafia. We're playing a game called "Mafia" and the people we're trying to find are scum who are also mafia. It's weird. I think they're both.

Your explanation is panning out for me. I made a similar mistake the first time I played the game, so I'm willing to accept what you're saying now.
MaryJoLisa2
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:53 pm

Post by MaryJoLisa2 »

How do I remove my vote?
NotMySpamAccount
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Post by NotMySpamAccount »

idk, vote for the mod just for the lulz
cbynumber
cbynumber
Goon
cbynumber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 pm

Post by cbynumber »

Hi all. Just caught up. Going to go ahead and VOTE: Elements.

Also, while I don't like NotMySpamAccount's opening post, both it and his response to the accusations read as town to me. Also, he's voting for scum, so that's good.

@TTTT thoughts on other players who have posted so far?
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 28, NotMySpamAccount wrote:Hey guys, I'm new, never played mafia online or in irl at all, but my friends said I should try this so here I am. I'm a bit confused by my role to be honest though, since I'm a Vanilla Townie (it's ok to say that, right?), does that mean I don't get to do anything? Sorry if it's a dumbb question, I've never played before like I said, so I want to find out what I can. Great to get started with you guys, sure this'll be heaps of fun!
so it's usually not such a great idea to claim at this stage - if your'e a pr, scum now know to kill you, and if you're a vt, scum know that you *aren't* a pr (and the pool of possible prs thus becomes smaller)

usually town claims when they're about to be lynched (ie so that if they're a pr we know not to lynch them) or during mass-claim, when everyone claims so that we can put together claims and night results to see if we can mechanically find scum that way

(scum is the colloquial term for mafia on this site)

those are the main scenarios where town claims. scum, of course, can claim whatever they want whenever they want if they think it'll help them :wink:

==
In post 30, Elements wrote:Is it just me or does the entirety just reek scum, including the player name?
why does this reek scum?

==
In post 33, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:VOTE: NotMySpamAccount

Yeah, if you get lynched for that slip you can always start in the next newbie game and not make that mistake again.
i don't understand the slip you think he made here

==

at worst NotMySpamAccount might be playing up the newbie card but i'm not really vibing that rn
not really seeing his entrance as scummy tbh

==
In post 43, TTTT wrote:I have a hard time believing newbtown who posted this eager beaver 1st post
didn't read the IC post first
there's an eight minute time gap beetween his two posts; to me, it looks like he said hi, then went back and all the prior posts, and then realized his mistake

==
In post 48, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:If you're really town, you'll need to build a convincing case as to why we should dismiss your apparent newbish mistake and account for why you didn't bother to read the rules before playing a game you've never played before.
why do you think his actions are more likely to come from scum than town?

==
In post 52, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:How do I remove my vote?
you can change your vote by voting again
or you can unvote by:

UNVOTE: [ /unvote]
(without the space between the '[' and '/')
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm

Post by Elements »

In post 36, NotMySpamAccount wrote:Regarding the name, it's a joke from another forum with some of my friends, no relation to this
The name gives contrast to your claimed newbieness. Imo from your first post it's very plausible you are an alt of someone and deciding to play the newbie card for "easy town cred".
In post 49, NotMySpamAccount wrote:Elements: random inexplicable starting vote, voting me for similarly inexplicable (though not quite as bad, I can see why scum (scum is another name for mafia I think) would open like that) reasoning.
The first vote, and to some extent the second, is part of something called RVS (i think, not sure what it stands for, IC help?) where you make random votes (RV) to get the game rolling so we can form reads on people and find scum. Otherwise the game is very slow to start and there is nothing to talk about which helps scum
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 pm

Post by Elements »

In post 54, cbynumber wrote:Also, while I don't like NotMySpamAccount's opening post, both it and his response to the accusations read as town to me. Also, he's voting for scum, so that's good.
Please could you elaborate on why I am scum?
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 pm

Post by Elements »

In post 34, NotMySpamAccount wrote:WHAT THE HECK I LITERALLY SAID I'M FOR THE TOWN AND NOW YOU ALL WANT ME DEAD WHAT THE HECK SERIOUSLY I POST ONE LITTLE "SLIP" AND NOW Y'ALL ARE GONNA KILL ME
To clear up a misconception you may have. Just because I've voted you doesn't mean I want you dead. Votes are the only tool we have during the day to help us root out scum so using them to apply pressure or even to just spark a reaction is very common. If I wanted you dead this early I would be doing exactly what ruined the first game of forum mafia I played.
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 pm

Post by Elements »

In post 55, skitter30 wrote:why does this reek scum?
Being very liberal with their role as VT helps mafia significantly more than town so as town there's zero incentive to do this. I explained the name bit earlier. I also have a bit of a habit to mistake bad play for scum play in IRL mafia, so it could also be some of that leaking through.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 56, Elements wrote:Imo from your first post it's very plausible you are an alt of someone and deciding to play the newbie card for "easy town cred".
Alts are not allowed to /in a Newbie game as a new player
I'm skeptical that he's never played online or IRL
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 58, Elements wrote:If I wanted you dead this early I would be doing exactly what ruined the first game of forum mafia I played.
what was that?
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 am

Post by Elements »

In post 61, TTTT wrote:
In post 58, Elements wrote:If I wanted you dead this early I would be doing exactly what ruined the first game of forum mafia I played.
what was that?
Tunneled someone from very early day 1 and didn't stop the whole day. If you look at my last game (newbie 1912, still happening) it's very similar to what Enter did, but worse
NotMySpamAccount
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:05 am

Post by NotMySpamAccount »

In post 58, Elements wrote:
In post 34, NotMySpamAccount wrote:WHAT THE HECK I LITERALLY SAID I'M FOR THE TOWN AND NOW YOU ALL WANT ME DEAD WHAT THE HECK SERIOUSLY I POST ONE LITTLE "SLIP" AND NOW Y'ALL ARE GONNA KILL ME
To clear up a misconception you may have. Just because I've voted you doesn't mean I want you dead. Votes are the only tool we have during the day to help us root out scum so using them to apply pressure or even to just spark a reaction is very common. If I wanted you dead this early I would be doing exactly what ruined the first game of forum mafia I played.
Ok, so along with the thing you wrote about random votes, I think I get it now. Was your vote on me prompted by something that seemed off and you wanted a new random vote, or did you really think I was scum?
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 am

Post by TTTT »

I don't know what Elements thinks
but I thikn you are scum
so not RVS 4me no more
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:13 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 54, cbynumber wrote: @TTTT thoughts on other players who have posted so far?
NotMy is scum
MaryJo is town and we are fated to become BFFs
BBMola has one post but I like it
Elements is null
skitter is null
cbynumber is null
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:13 am

Post by TTTT »

why did you ask me specifically this question?
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:16 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 54, cbynumber wrote:Also, while I don't like NotMySpamAccount's opening post, both it and his response to the accusations read as town to me.
why did you dislike his original post
if you read it as town?
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 am

Post by Elements »

In post 63, NotMySpamAccount wrote:Ok, so along with the thing you wrote about random votes, I think I get it now. Was your vote on me prompted by something that seemed off and you wanted a new random vote, or did you really think I was scum?
The latter. Whether you are town or scum, that was a scummy post and it warranted a response. My vote on Salami was doing nothing so I changed it to you. I am slightly coming round to the idea of your inexperience getting the better of you, but you are still a scum lean for me.
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:46 am

Post by Elements »

In post 32, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:You might be using your apparent newness as a cover to conceal your scumminess. It's probably unwise at the very least because it draws people's attention your way.
Stop advising scum on how to play
MaryJoLisa2
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:23 am

Post by MaryJoLisa2 »

In post 69, Elements wrote:
In post 32, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:You might be using your apparent newness as a cover to conceal your scumminess. It's probably unwise at the very least because it draws people's attention your way.
Stop advising scum on how to play
But this is a newbie game. :P
MaryJoLisa2
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 am

Post by MaryJoLisa2 »

UNVOTE: NotMySpamAccount

I said I'd unvote and I will. I'm not releasing NotMySpamAccount from my possible mafia list because it still might have been a first time scum player trying their hand at distancing themselves from their alignment.

TTTT will be my new best friend at some point in the future, so I refuse to accept that this person is untrustworthy. Yet.
Elements made a really valid call on NotMySpamAccount. Possibly because Elements is scum and needed to point their finger anywhere but at themselves.
Skitter may have been speaking as ic, but I felt I was fully justified in calling NotMySpamAccount out for a really scummy post. Defending a partner?
MaryJoLisa2
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
MaryJoLisa2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 am

Post by MaryJoLisa2 »

In post 54, cbynumber wrote:Hi all. Just caught up. Going to go ahead and VOTE: Elements.

Also, while I don't like NotMySpamAccount's opening post, both it and his response to the accusations read as town to me. Also, he's voting for scum, so that's good.

@TTTT thoughts on other players who have posted so far?
Why do you see Elements as scum?

Question for ic or game moderator: Is everyone here other than ic really a newbie to this forum? I read something about alt accounts.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 56, Elements wrote:The name gives contrast to your claimed newbieness. Imo from your first post it's very plausible you are an alt of someone and deciding to play the newbie card for "easy town cred".
his name was picked when he signed up for the forum (ie before he got his role in this game) and isn't directly mafia related; i see nothing to tie his name to his alignment or to his mafia experience and i think this is a bad reason to push him

also alts can't signup as new players in the newbie queue (they can replace into a newbie slot, but can't start the game as a newbie)

rvs = random voting stage

did you vote NMSA because you think he's scum? or for pressure and to get a reaction? (i'm not sure based on )
In post 59, Elements wrote:
Being very liberal with their role as VT helps mafia significantly more than town so as town there's zero incentive to do this
. I explained the name bit earlier. I also have a bit of a habit to mistake bad play for scum play in IRL mafia, so it could also be some of that leaking through.
the name thing isn't a valid reason to suspect him imo

what's the scum incentive for fake-claiming vt here? i can understand that you think there's not town motivation, but i don't know the scum motivation there really either

==
In post 62, Elements wrote:Tunneled someone from very early day 1 and didn't stop the whole day. If you look at my last game (newbie 1912, still happening) it's very similar to what Enter did, but worse
don't refer to ongoing games please, it's against the site-rule of 'don't talk about ongoing games'. until it ends pretend it doesn't exist and don't bring it up

==

NMSA you have friends on this forum? who are they?
posts like kinda make it seem like you've played before

==

tttt might be town
In post 65, TTTT wrote:MaryJo is town and we are fated to become BFFs
why is she town?

==

elements what's your mafia experience?

==
In post 71, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:I said I'd unvote and I will. I'm not releasing NotMySpamAccount from my possible mafia list because it still might have been a first time scum player trying their hand at distancing themselves from their alignment.

TTTT will be my new best friend at some point in the future, so I refuse to accept that this person is untrustworthy. Yet.
Elements made a really valid call on NotMySpamAccount. Possibly because Elements is scum and needed to point their finger anywhere but at themselves.
Skitter may have been speaking as ic, but I felt I was fully justified in calling NotMySpamAccount out for a really scummy post. Defending a partner?
when i'm talking about my reads or if i think a push is good i'm mostly talking as a player; if i say something like rvs = random voting stage i'm talking as an ic

not defending him, more pointing at that the push was bad and based on things like his account name which is .... totally irrelevant to his alignment, and i still don't know why his entrance was scummy (ie as opposed to just bad)

i'm a little confused by NMSA because his initial entrance seems plausible to me at face-value but a few of his posts belie that he may have played mafia somewhere before

also this list is a little wishy-washy
ie a bunch of you r reads take the format of: person A might have a valid reason for doing X, but they may have done it because they are scum too
and doesn't really pick a side
(i'm aware that it's early and that it's hard to come to firm conclusions at this stage, but it's pinging me so i'm noting it)
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 72, MaryJoLisa2 wrote:Question for ic or game moderator: Is everyone here other than ic really a newbie to this forum? I read something about alt accounts.
there's a couple of players in each newbie game that are se's (i forget what that stands for honestly); they've already played a few games onsite so kinda know how things work

in this game that's bbmolla and tttt; i've never played with either of them before

(also a lot of this info is listed in the op of this thread or the op of the newbie queue)

the rest of you are newbies, which means you're in their first 3 games on site; if people haven't said anything, i don't know if this is literally people's first games or their second game or their third; it's possible to check, i just haven't.
Show
Hiatus once more.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”