Newbie 1916: Epic Music [Game Over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 am

Post by teacher »

VOTE: Clemency!

IC post coming soon, but then Im offline for the day - my kiddos are taking regional exams this week, so I have a fun weekend of grading ahead of me.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am

Post by teacher »

IC Intro, adapted from many othersHey everybody! I'm teacher, your Inexperience-Challenged (IC) player for the game (it's my third time)! That means I am here to lead by example and answer your questions along the way. I will be playing to my win condition to the best of my ability, but if you have questions about Game Theory or Da Rules, I am required to answer them honestly, and to be clear when I am speaking as am IC vs. as a Player. Just as an FYI, I am a teacher with limited daytime access, but I will be signing on at night every night to give thoughts and respond.

What does this mean? That means I am here to lead by example and answer your questions along the way. I will be playing to my win-con (win condition) to the best of my ability, but if you have questions about Game Theory or Rules, I am required to answer them honestly, and to be clear when I am speaking as an IC vs. speaking as a Player.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

And here are some helpful tips:

->
Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in our moderator's rules, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

->
"Site Meta"
is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

--->
Random Voting Stage (RVS)

The game almost always begins with RVS. Players make up reasons to vote each other. This gets people talking and the game eventually moves out of RVS pretty quickly.

--->
Voting, L-1, and Hammers

If your vote puts someone at L-1 (Lynch-1) this means there is only one more vote needed to eliminate that player from the game and end the day phase. you should always declare L-1 so that someone else doesn't come along and accidentally (or not so accidentally) place another vote on that person (a "hammer vote") that ends the day. To declare L-1 you just say something like "This is L-1" in the same post as your vote that put the player at L-1.

--->
Declaring Intent to Hammer

Before you hammer a player, state that you
intend
to hammer them first. Usually at this point the player will claim their role. It's best to then allow other players to react and respond to their claim before hammering.

--->
Claiming Your Role

It is frowned upon to claim your role unless you are about to be lynched (L-1 with an intent to hammer). Why is it generally a bad idea to claim your role? If you are a town power role (PR) you are then likely to be night-killed (NK'd). Even if you are a Vanilla Townie with no powers beyond your vote and your voice, you should not claim prematurely, as this then helps the scum players narrow down their field of possible NK candidates.

--->
Do not fake claim a power role as town!
You might think you will be outsmarting scum and gaining an advantage, but it is very rare when fake-claiming in a Newbie game benefits the town. While it may help you avoid getting lynched, you might cause a real PR (Power Role) to out themselves by counter claiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get lynched for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

--->
Don't vote for yourself.
There are very rare occasions where this is helpful in non-newbie games, but usually only for scum, so if you do it here you will certainly get scumread for it.

->
Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

->
Good luck and have fun!
:]
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Post by teacher »

One IC-ish point -- you should all get Avis - it is a courtesy form of “facial recognition” for posts.

@TemporalLitch, thanks for reminding me of epic; thats good fun for marathon procrastination

And I kinda want to expand on Flippy's question with some self-meta and hunting questions as well

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am

Post by teacher »

In post 19, teacher wrote:1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
1. RL years ago; appr 14 forum games in the last year.
2. I effort obv!town (but have a lot less time during the school year)
3. I effort obv!town (see above).
4. Motivations, probabilities, and associations. For each post, I try to ascertain the motive behind it. Does it seem town-motivated or scum-motivated. To be sure, both town and scum have similar objectives, but they arent overlapping. Town is not as afraid of being lynched, because there will be a mislynch at some point; scum knows that their death is 50% of a loss. Town wants to out real analysis to advance the game; scum wants to repeat information that everybody knows so they can appear to be helping without actually doing it. Another key area of difference is in probabilities. Here, I cant say it much better than a strategy article from the Wiki (link). I'll speak more on associations tomorrow if Im still kicking.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (isolation #4) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am

Post by teacher »

Finally, sorry for the repeat paragraph in my IC intro. My old one got locked, and when I tried to steal it back from someone who stole mine, I didnt paste well.

Im off for the night, but good luck all!
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (isolation #5) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Post by teacher »

@flippy - why skellen over people you had played with/people who had posted?

@clem - which of you is showing up?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (isolation #6) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 am

Post by teacher »

In post 27, Clemency wrote:showing up?
To steal from loop, memey or slightly effortful (or depends on the day)
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (isolation #7) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

Post by teacher »

In post 33, roomy wrote:@teacher -- what's your experience been with clem?
1 game - Newb 1909. That's my last completed game, played while I was on winter break. He was a good town player as PR there, but someone with more experience suggested that the effort was a slight deviation from the mean of being memey and nullish, so I wanted to structure my expectations according to his response and commitment here.

Congrats on earning an early town read for yourself, the first out of null either way for me.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (isolation #8) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

Post by teacher »

In post 32, Emperor flippyNips wrote:
In post 26, teacher wrote:@flippy - why skellen over people you had played with/people who had posted?

@clem - which of you is showing up?

I just like to vote people that haven’t been voted yet in my RVS
Not sure that answers my question. I hadnt been voted yet when you RVSed, so again, why not vote me? Also, I found this odd:
In post 31, Emperor flippyNips wrote:I think what gives scum away is trying a little too hard.
Last game I played with you, you and the other scum were mostly silent. Plus, there you said you didnt really know how to scumhunt. I'm wondering when you acquired this purported tell (can you show me?), and it also amplifies my question of why you wouldnt vote me -- a player you knows falls into the try-hard category. So sell me on town!flippy when youre off break, otherwise I might think youre cursed to always roll scum in the newbqueue
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (isolation #9) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 am

Post by teacher »

@
I do think RVS serves a point, one I will talk about after RVS if you remind me - I dont want to undermine it now by explaining how I use it. In response to your direct question, I dont mind voting people who havent voted as much. But people do tend to vote people they know, as a way of semi-friendly greeting. So I found Flippy's vote in particular odd, in a way I didnt find CatStar's (whose vote was consistent with that rule of thumb). On your general point, several players encourage RVS to become random wagonning stage, so you can get data on how people react under pressure and who joins/pushes against. I dont have views either way.

Also, I only addressed Flip + clem with questions because they are SEs and I wanted to give all newbs time to answer my general experience questions and get acclimated before I start drilling.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (isolation #10) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 44, Skellen wrote:While I am at it and I can't find anything on the wiki about that an IC question: Is pocketing only something done by scum or is it independent from the alignment? To be frank I almost snapvoted Clem for #40 due to past game experience where it was always associated with scum play.

And since we are talking about Clem and RVS and you are familiar with him. What do you think of him keeping himself away from RVS so far? What makes him different from flippy who you criticize for not voting you but someone else while Clem simply doesn't vote?
Im jumping a bit back in the thread just to capture both questions.

1. Pocketing as an actual thing can only come from scum. It means to give town (generally leaders/influences) town reads in the hope of receiving the same. But as you noted later in thread, Clem's explicit use of the word in is "just that blatant." Put another way, it is too blatant to be a scumslip, at least from a player as good as Clem. His use of it here is a NAI joke consistent with the personality in his avatar. I took it as a way of sharing a townread on you and me with the board, but not as informative of his own alignment.

2. I wont get AI indicative data on pressuring Clem. He will just joke it off. Flippy I might learn something from. Clem will join wagons when asked to, but tends to withhold his real views until wagons actually start smelling like they might lead to rope.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (isolation #11) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Post by teacher »

Since our fearless leader seems to be on in my early AM, Im just going to post this in case she wants a pagetop.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (isolation #12) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 47, TemporalLich wrote:UNVOTE: roomy

roomy and Skellen currently strike me as soft town.
I dont disagree with your instincts, but why unvote? Nobody else has removed their RVS and there is absolutely no danger of a lynch. What does it accomplish?

Can you answer my self-meta questions from - I know youve already answered 1 and 4, but Id be interested in 2 and 3 as well.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (isolation #13) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Post by teacher »

Dang it, forgot the pagetop in my sleep-deprived fog. Sorry.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (isolation #14) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Post by teacher »

The second beettlejuice answer, combined with the retreat from an expression of earlier copied town-reads especially when Skellen has not regressed in thread presence seems like a good enough reason for me.

VOTE: TemporalLich
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (isolation #15) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 55, Skellen wrote:snip due to length but link for context
1. It’s not a too scummy to be scum comment. I don’t think it is scummy. (Not town either, just NAI, like most things). As a broader point though, I do have a different take than some on too scummy to be scum. If only scum did scummy things, mafia would be a much easier game to play. Look at what happened to Loop last game for you. In one of my recent games, a town PR lolhammered a known-to-them town as a way to avoid the nk. So sometimes there can be town reasons to appear scummy.

2. My vote on Clem was an expression of affection. I genuinely like and enjoy playing w him - it’s both funny and he has good reads. Overall, my view on him is akin to his likely view on me: I’m willing to give him space to do his thing, but if his actual views when they are expressed are really discordant or if we have reached Day three without scum blood and he is still alive, I will start to burden of proficiency him.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (isolation #16) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 68, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 67, teacher wrote:The second beettlejuice answer, combined with the retreat from an expression of earlier copied town-reads especially when Skellen has not regressed in thread presence seems like a good enough reason for me.

VOTE: TemporalLich
Beetlejuice answer? That's something I've never heard before.

I'm taking the L due to the accidental slip, trying to cover it up is pretty much just game throwing.
Beetlejuice - when you say someone’s name in thread and they suddenly appear despite low presence generally. The first one was to me. Both may just be when you are regularly online though.

Taking the L? Accidental slip? I’m confused.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (isolation #17) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Post by teacher »

Fair enough. FYI as a general usage, “slip” means to accidenrally reveal your role/alignment. Outside of that context, I’d say mistake just for clarity.

What’s your UTC/GMT offset?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (isolation #18) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 85, Skellen wrote:What was your slight suspicion about roomy before?
Want me to jump in or to let CatStar speak?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (isolation #19) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 78, Birdy wrote:Roomy didn't do anything before then to warrant a town read
I disagree. But before I get into that, any reason you havent answered ?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (isolation #20) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 79, roomy wrote:there's a difference between forgetting a townread and saying that somewhere in between him explicitly getting off my wagon because it was "a town's wagon" and my vote for him (during which I had not made a post) I "regressed to the mean." that part makes little sense to me,
I also disagree. You had regressed for me too, because you earned an early townread then went a bit quiet. Not a big change - weekend low-activity is common - but I had it as well. That is why I was more troubled by the change on Skellen than by the change on you.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (isolation #21) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 80, CatStar wrote:@teacher: what did you learn?
I'll speak on the purpose to my questions once they are answered.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (isolation #22) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 83, Skellen wrote:wait, did you actually read that game?
Yea, I wanted to get a better feel for your style. People have different views of meta, but I support its use. I was also surprised to find an IC-day 1 lynch. I skimmed Day 1 for you, and for the cause of that. I did not read the game as a whole.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (isolation #23) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 83, Skellen wrote:I feel like you just dodged the core of my question smoothly here when I think about your comment on flippy's vote, but it is kind of a good answer nonetheless. It's probably more a thing that we two have a different mindset in this regard so I am willing to leave it at that with this.
Im actually not ok with leaving it, since there is an off chance this comment could be laying the seed for a later push if need be. What was the core of your question? I understood it to be why vote Clemency. The answer, as given, was to give a funny tip of my hat to him, who had just welcomed me as well. But if Im missing something, I dont mind going back over it.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (isolation #24) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 84, Skellen wrote:
In post 78, Birdy wrote: I do not believe that forgetting his townreads is a significant mark against him.
However he still has to explain how his reads changed. . . . .[snip]

I share roomy's doubts about Lich though. . . [snip] . . . I also thought as Birdy that it looks more like a newbie who has no real clue how to fit in.

On the other hand # and # look so weird.
I cut the above to the core of what I wanted to talk about. The progression from to didnt really bother me. On the other hand, the progression in , , and bothered me quite a bit, particularly 66 to 68. In , Lich tries to DEFEND the read change as "regression to the mean
to be honest.
-- i.e., an explicit claim that the read change was intentional and justifiable, with an ATE of credibility. Just two hours later in , when confronted with further suspicion, Lich abandons the defense, saying it was an "
accidental
slip." In other words, 68 admits 66 was a cover-up, one made while claiming honesty.

At bottom I am of two minds. I can see where you all are coming from with newb fitting in. I also am having difficulty believing newb!scum would so abruptly about face and confess error without some guidance that the position was indefensible, and such guidance was unlikely at an off-peak hour. At the same time, the specific wording of these posts is bugging me.

@Skellen, I do view 68 and 72 as answering how his reads changed -- they were soft towns that he did not really feel. To me thats another mark against him, making blendy reads that he didnt feel to create some presence. I am nowhere approaching high-confidence, but I dont view 72 and after as redeeming in the way some other players have suggested.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (isolation #25) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 78, Birdy wrote:Reading his ISO
An IC-aside, since someone didnt know this in my last game. Up above these words, next to the post number, there is a link labeled "ISO" Clicking this will allow you to see the all posts made by that one player in ISOlation. On the bottom of the screen, you can set up double or triple ISOs, which gets more helpful after flips lend associational data.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (isolation #26) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Post by teacher »

@Lich - OK, theyre null to you now. Can you articulate why you soft-towned them before? Or was that the accident? If so, can you explain why you posted it and only it?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (isolation #27) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Post by teacher »

Ok. So has skellen made a scummy post? Because otherwise I don’t get how she moved to mull - the active participation certainly remained, and she seems to have the same confidence as Clem?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (isolation #28) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Post by teacher »

Fair enough. I think I’ve flogged your horse enough. Thanks for putting up with me. Now I have to wait for flippy to return and answer my questions and YouTube to be replaced. Have a good night
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #105 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 104, CatStar wrote:
In post 87, teacher wrote:
In post 85, Skellen wrote:What was your slight suspicion about roomy before?
Want me to jump in or to let CatStar speak?
Jump in about this topic?.
Yea, about that topic. As a rule of thumb, if one player directs a question to second, its considered bad form to answer yourself because the original player may have had a purpose in steering the question, and providing an earlier answer could influence the second's own response. So I wanted to check before I shared my own reaction to Roomy.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (isolation #30) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 81, Emperor flippyNips wrote:Hi all should have some time to catch up later today
:eek: Perhaps today, pretty please? Just a reminder that I have pending questions for you in . Id also like to see some reads from you since you havent posted game-relevant content yet, and theres alot of meat here.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (isolation #31) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Post by teacher »

Sorry for being absent last night/today; grades from those exams were due. I will get on in a few of my free periods to catch up. I have some quick thoughts that I will get out now from my mobile reading last night.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (isolation #32) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 114, roomy wrote:@teacher, what conclusions, if any, did you reach from your conversation with Lich last night?
That his approach was even more confusing than I had thought, but that I wasnt going to get a read from continuing and I was appearing rude so better to drop it to keep the gameroom pleasant.
In post 114, roomy wrote:I'm getting a gut feeling that teacher doesn't believe his own arguments
Good feeling. See what I said in -- "I am of two minds." So no, I dont believe my argument because I dont really have one. Its not a null, its a conflicted scumlean OR newb!town and cant decide. He certainly isnt my strongest scumread.
In post 114, roomy wrote:his pressure on Lich hasn't actually moved the needle much, IMO.
Agreed -- see the first quote and response. But you get town points for noticing it and my waffling.
In post 114, roomy wrote:his logic has followed my own pretty much turn-for-turn
Ummmmm, no? I know you dont like the language focus/disagree with the ATE language, but my first post on Lich - - made that unique contribution. The subsequent interaction was not based on anything you said, but more chasing down each of Lich's new responses in real time.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (isolation #33) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am

Post by teacher »

In post 109, Skellen wrote:
In post 87, teacher wrote:Want me to jump in or to let CatStar speak?
Sure, go on.

Kind of hoped CatStar would have elaborated more on this, I figure she meant his questions towards Clem/teacher?
I wound up posting it anyways without thinking about your question (sorry for that) in . Roomy had regressed for me based purely on activity after securing a town. One of the hardest things for Scum to do is maintain the Want it More/Solviness of an active town player (which I had seen in Roomy at the start) over the course of the game. But the activity, and town vibes, are back.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (isolation #34) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 am

Post by teacher »

In post 108, Skellen wrote:Although if you feel free to resolve that I wouldn't mind.
To the extent it helps, I was only ever going to RVS Clem once I saw the playerlist. A vote on Flippy would produce data, so I wanted to save any vote on him for when it would have meaning. I didnt vote him when I put up 36 because I wanted him to react to the question without additional pressure. Does that resolve it?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (isolation #35) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 am

Post by teacher »

Urap! It’s like half the old gang is back together.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #135 (isolation #36) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 am

Post by teacher »

Though tbh I miss tigger.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (isolation #37) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 am

Post by teacher »

Roomy is town town. I was going to unvote but decided it wouldn’t happen until I could see who else didn’t want it.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (isolation #38) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 am

Post by teacher »

I’m driving but VOTE: unvote
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #164 (isolation #39) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:47 am

Post by teacher »

I’m not. It’s too early for a lynch generally, and I want time. I haven’t posted content because I’m mobile during the day. Fat fingers little screen. More in appr 3/4
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #187 (isolation #40) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 am

Post by teacher »

can we pause the countdown til we get a replacement?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #221 (isolation #41) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 am

Post by teacher »

Welcome. And I am now rested and off work. Catching up.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #222 (isolation #42) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 am

Post by teacher »

My tentative reads list, pending Good's participation. I want the Litch lynch today, Im going to put my vote back up in my next post explaining why.

Teacher
Skellen/Roomy
URAP
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #223 (isolation #43) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 am

Post by teacher »

So, I want Lich lynched. I'm putting the vote back up and going to make my case.
VOTE: TemporalLich.
This is L-1.

First, we have the obvious, confusing play and some odd wordings. Im not going to belabor this one, since it has been much discussed already.

Second, we have the continued waffling. This hasnt been hit as much. says CatStar's the scummiest, and explains as an active lurker. But moves CatStar to a lean NAI without explanation -- CatStar's rate of posting hadn't increased (about 5% of posts 120-180; about 4% of posts 10-120, with about the same level of interaction).

Third, which is both related and to me most telling, I see no effort to solve at all. At no point does Lich investigate any of his suspects -- I dont see questions directed to CatStar or Skellen. It seems almost as if he knows their alignment, and is seeing what sticks. The lack of desire to solve -- investigate or justify his reads with specific reactions to specific posts just comes across as not towny.

Fourth, and the most compelling point for scum!good, is Birdy's . I saw this as a potential partnership play, of accelerating the wagon that was tied with Lich and hopefully redirecting attention to another slot.

Finally, I think we learn the most from flipping Lich. His near-lynch wagon (roomy-skellen-me-Urap-
Clem's intent
) would almost certainly contain one scum if he flips green. This information would force me to reevaluate the townblock I am willing to form to PoE this game with Roomy, Skellen, and URAP.

I conclude by reminding the board this is L-1
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #224 (isolation #44) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 am

Post by teacher »

In post 218, Clemency wrote:i'll have to rewrite my list
Clem, when rewritten, can we get the list. I found your intent on Lich troubling given the gamestate of multiple lurkers subject to being replaced and several days left. I have less of a grasp of where you are coming from this game generally - I get that it may be being overgamed, but I need to see inside your head a little more.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (isolation #45) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 am

Post by teacher »

In post 123, teacher wrote:He certainly isnt my strongest scumread.
For context, since I have evolved, Flippy was my strongest scumread at this point from the disappearing act. Having more activity from that slot has moved it up for me, at least beyond Lich where I think I get to learn more.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #228 (isolation #46) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 am

Post by teacher »

In post 136, u r a person 2 wrote:I liked catstar's thought processes in 80
Nice! Thanks for calling this out. It made me reread CatStar's ISO generally, and I see alot of thought-processes, questions, and reads that I like. She hasnt felt as present when skimming the game, but there is real depth there. Thank you. Both you and she get town!points.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229 (isolation #47) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:03 am

Post by teacher »

In post 136, u r a person 2 wrote:clem I want to town read. he agrees with me on skellen, good. Paranoia about teacher is pretty meh tho.
I dont blame him, and its consistent with his investigation in Newb 1909. The fact is that I at least try for this meta as scum too. The best example I can provide is when scum!me conclusively proved someone town at mylo, [url=viewtopic.php?p=10286465#p10286465]here[/post]. There is always a rational case to be made to for a scum!win because town does scummy things too.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #230 (isolation #48) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am

Post by teacher »

EBWOP
In post 136, u r a person 2 wrote:clem I want to town read. he agrees with me on skellen, good. Paranoia about teacher is pretty meh tho.
I dont blame him, and its consistent with his investigation in Newb 1909. The fact is that I at least try for this meta as scum too. The best example I can provide is when scum!me conclusively proved someone town at mylo, here. There is always a rational case to be made to for a scum!win because town does scummy things too.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (isolation #49) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am

Post by teacher »

In post 138, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 135, teacher wrote:Though tbh I miss tigger.
who?
your AVI of the wet tiger from the old game. I found it endearing.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #232 (isolation #50) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am

Post by teacher »

In post 148, roomy wrote:I'm a big fan of linguistic analysis. maybe you just overlooked this?
I did overlook that, and somehow transmuted CatStar's linguistic criticism in to you. My bad. I was more focused on the lack-of-uniqueness comment, because I did think that language catch was new data, even if less concrete.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (isolation #51) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 am

Post by teacher »

In post 149, u r a person 2 wrote:@teacher what's your confidence level on this slot? might sheep you if it is high
Pretty high.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (isolation #52) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:20 am

Post by teacher »

In post 177, TemporalLich wrote:If I die today, then I probably shouldn't play Mafia ever again.
Nooo! That is distinctly NOT the point of newbie games. They are to learn how to play generally, and learn some skills to playing well. Regardless of your alignment, if you are today's lynch you can learn why people suspected you and learn how to avoid it (again, regardless of alignment). Scum-catches and mislynches all happen, the point is to make sure you are having fun and trying to win, not necessarily survive til the end game.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #235 (isolation #53) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:23 am

Post by teacher »

In post 185, CatStar wrote:So now trying town hunting instead!
Town finding town is possibly more important than finding scum. This is an important aspect of the game that is often underappreciated. It is why I shared my first read, even though it was a townread, and part of why I stayed quiet on my early suspicions of flippy. That Roomy turned to Flip pretty immediately was just the sort of mindmeld (I had been thinking but not saying it) I needed to basically conf!town him at this point.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #238 (isolation #54) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 am

Post by teacher »

Revised reads list.
Teacher
Roomy/Skellen
URAP/CatStar
Lich

@clem please see . I need some more from you.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #239 (isolation #55) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 am

Post by teacher »

In post 237, good wrote:you are falling for his bait.
See my vote. Not falling for it, just offering an encouraging aside.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #243 (isolation #56) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 am

Post by teacher »

@Clem - Can you give a CatStar read?

@Good - re: 1. That was a real-time reaction. It felt like the momentum in the live gamestate was in the air between lich and catstar, and birdy was trying to push it one way without real substance. It probably wouldnt stand out on a cold-read, but when made (as one of very few substantive posts) it felt awkward and forced. 2, re Roomy, see my mind-meld comment. Flippy was my unstated scumread at that time.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (isolation #57) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 am

Post by teacher »

Clem, claim intent explicitly. At this point I dont think those on the wagon will unvote, so Lich should know whether or not he should roleclaim.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #247 (isolation #58) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:51 am

Post by teacher »

Yes, but the wagons were tied, and Birdy offered a defense of one while pushing the other. It simply felt like a possible partner play at the time.

To be clear, associational data is indeed weak pre-flip - that is part of why I didnt vote or make a case on your slot. But I am intrigued that you jumped right onto the associational point while ignoring all the other aspects of the case on Lich. Worried he might flip red?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #248 (isolation #59) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 am

Post by teacher »

In post 227, good wrote:i'm probably not going to do reads, as im not very good at them. if i find a scum, i'll tell you
In post 236, good wrote:i think nips is lazy town
his meta is to start wagons, and he is doing the exact opposite.
OK, so you gave one read. Right now you've got an inherited vote. Who would YOU vote, and why?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #257 (isolation #60) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 am

Post by teacher »

In post 256, good wrote:how do i vote tag something
Dont vote Lich til he has a chance to claim.

Why Roomy?

voting is done by:

Code: Select all

[vote]NAME OF VOTE[/vote]
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #277 (isolation #61) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am

Post by teacher »

Nice work good. With that, I’m willing to put cash on catstar. I’ll pens out a cc though.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #279 (isolation #62) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 am

Post by teacher »

Kk.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #287 (isolation #63) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 am

Post by teacher »

Urap - crumb?

I’m mobile but will reread tonight. Off the cuff, I have to admit I’m inclined towards believing good over urap for a variety of reasons. Either way one of you is eating rope today and the other, if necessary, tomorrow.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #289 (isolation #64) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am

Post by teacher »

No need. I read your meta last game after I saw the COP attempt to attract the nightjull.

I get the flippy investigation and it makes sense. I just don’t get the gambit by Good.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #290 (isolation #65) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:24 am

Post by teacher »

I’m also worried about scum bussing to establish one of the two as “conf!town” so need to do some setup thinking as well.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #291 (isolation #66) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am

Post by teacher »

In post 271, u r a person 2 wrote:We should consider a mass claim later today

I want to read through the thread again first, tho
Why hidden cop propose massclaim?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #297 (isolation #67) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 am

Post by teacher »

This cannot be SvS because of jailkeepers. Of course, any jail keeper should claim immediately.

Whichever one is gambiting, the existence of the gambit suggests we are likely in column A with a role blocker, so no mass claim makes sense.

Urap s day open noting roomy’s flip reads seems inconsistent with a flip investigation. If he had that info as town, I think he’d wait to see who pushed Flip based on Roomys reads.

I’m pretty far gone into believing good, but I do want him to say why he investigated URAP and why he claimed so fast.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #302 (isolation #68) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Post by teacher »

Ha, I was purposefully not posting for that reason.

I need Clem to tell me why he believes URAP for me to be able to solve this game. @Clem?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #303 (isolation #69) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 295, Skellen wrote:Or is this actually a legit tactic used by scum to snipe out power roles at day?
FWIW, I was debating faking a cop with a guilty to start the day. It is a legit tactic to prevent scum counterclaims, and can be used to attract the NK/Roleblocker especially if your result mimics the real investigative's. But good's doubledown when URAP pushes makes it TvS.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #304 (isolation #70) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 227, good wrote:if i find a scum, i'll tell you
Another reason to believe good.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #308 (isolation #71) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Post by teacher »

Assuming Town!you, we are still in a good place since there is a 66% chance we have another Pr and scum has to deal with both you and Conf!town flippy.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #310 (isolation #72) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Post by teacher »

FWIW I think I’m going to clam up as well, at least until Clem and good can respond to the pending questions, and flippy can weigh in. I’m currently being intrigued by a very kooky thought that I want to muddle through.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #320 (isolation #73) » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 am

Post by teacher »

Intent but I’ll give time.

Clem I really need more from you on why you’re flipping from gut trust. I’m giving both you and urap time before the hammer.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #322 (isolation #74) » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 am

Post by teacher »

If this is a town selfhammer I’m going to be PISSED. Don’t do that. Especially in the newb.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #330 (isolation #75) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:19 am

Post by teacher »

Good - say who you investigated. At this point the game should be auto unless by some misfortune you investigated Skellen.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #333 (isolation #76) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:08 am

Post by teacher »

Ok. I messed up slightly on the auto. It’s only auto if Clem is VT so we can get three clears by the other pr claiming. . Either way fmpov it’s catstar or flippy.

I’m mobile during a snow day, but will reskim URaP tonight. From both day 1 and day 2 wagons, including the naked vote, I’m inclined Catstar.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #334 (isolation #77) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 am

Post by teacher »

The roomy kill was to set up flip.

VOTE: catstar
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #335 (isolation #78) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:15 am

Post by teacher »

VOTE: unvote

It is auto. If Clem is doc, he can save good and good can flip one more. If we have a heap, they should claim and tonight both cop and neap should investigate same target - one will work. If neap or doc claims and gets a counter, we lynch both.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #336 (isolation #79) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 am

Post by teacher »

So massclaim wins.

VT.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #338 (isolation #80) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 am

Post by teacher »

It’s generally frowned on but I agree this game is locked just by setup spec.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #340 (isolation #81) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am

Post by teacher »

Perfect. Just have to wait for the flippiest of nips to counterclaim you and then lynch him. Or claim VT and lynch me then him. Dont really care. GG all.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #344 (isolation #82) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 am

Post by teacher »

VOTE: flippy

Cursed to always role scum.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #345 (isolation #83) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 am

Post by teacher »

L-1 btw.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #353 (isolation #84) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Post by teacher »

:facepalm:
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #354 (isolation #85) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Post by teacher »

Closest thing I could find to a knee slap.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #364 (isolation #86) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 am

Post by teacher »

I’m going to have post game comments up hopefully tonight. Well played all.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”