Newbie 1917 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
NotMySpamAccount
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 am

Post by NotMySpamAccount »

ebwop: day 1 of that game, not this one.
Show
Town: 6-5
Scum: 2-1
3p: 0-1

"NMSA called out all three of us as scum or null in his reads list. Good thing no one's actually reading that." -Enter
"NMSA was at least a pretty easy mislynch that I didn't have to get my hands dirty to attain" -RC

Indefinite/permanent v/la
CsBlastoise
CsBlastoise
Townie
CsBlastoise
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 am

Post by CsBlastoise »

In post 49, NotMySpamAccount wrote:…I should have been lynched day 1 [of Newbie 1915].
Oh my gosh, he's right. Take a look:
In [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=10695339#p10695339]post 28[/url] of [url=https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78626]Newbie 1915[/url], NotMySpamAccount wrote:Hey guys, I'm new, never played mafia online or in irl at all, but my friends said I should try this so here I am. I'm a bit confused by my role to be honest though, since I'm a Vanilla Townie (it's ok to say that, right?), does that mean I don't get to do anything? Sorry if it's a dumbb question, I've never played before like I said, so I want to find out what I can. Great to get started with you guys, sure this'll be heaps of fun!
They didn't lynch him until day 2. At least their D1 lynch was his scumpartner.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:

I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far
CsBlastoise
CsBlastoise
Townie
CsBlastoise
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 am

Post by CsBlastoise »

Oh yeah, his follow-up was:
…which only deepened the hole he had dug for himself.

I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 am

Post by Micc »

Votecount 1.02
chennisden (3) -
GuiltyLion, TTTT, Screamingnoodle
TTTT (2) -
SaintAngelDFE, NotMySpamAccount
Thespio (1) -
muh316
Screamingnoodle (1) -
chennisden
GuiltyLion (1) -
Thespio

Not Voting (1) -
CsBlastoise

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2019-02-24 11:15:00).
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 16, chennisden wrote:May change vote to Muh due to "voting for salt"
do you think scum is more likely to "vote for salt" than town?
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 27, Thespio wrote:funny that two experienced players are freaking out about RVS
what makes you say "freaking out", that's a very odd choice of words
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 32, Thespio wrote:
In post 30, TTTT wrote:bc it's the only way to kill scum
Its also a good way to kill town.
good point, better not vote or lynch anybody then I guess :roll:
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 47, CsBlastoise wrote:If you think that, I'll have to leave that up to you.
you don't want to ask why he thinks that?

I feel like there'd be a lot of benefits, you could understand where TTTT is coming from better to help sort his slot
you could learn something in a general sense about what behaviors may be considered scummy in games here on mafiascum

but to just say "meh, I'll leave that to you" feels decidedly not curious in a bad way, and possibly like you want to wash your hands of the attention paid to chendennis
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 49, NotMySpamAccount wrote:And I agree with TTTT, do jump on a newbie for their first couple of posts. I should have been lynched day 1.
NMSA, welcome to the town club :D
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 42, CsBlastoise wrote:
Thespio wrote: Dude the games 30 seconds in and you are claiming to have figured it all out, tbh this looks like an early lynch gambit, with no IC trying to get newbies to collapse on one person for an early kill. Im 99.999999999% sure the things pinging your scumdar are newbies trying to learn to play.
Yeah, I kind of have to agree with this.
I also don't see why you "have to agree" with Thespio here. I feel Thespio is misrepping TTTT pretty hard, TTTT never claimed to have it all figured out and the IC point is extremely reachy. Thespio is basically inventing a scum!TTTT narrative to throw shade at him. TTTT even explicitly said not to continue to vote chendennis

I'm kinda thinking regardless of Thespio's alignment this sheepiness looks scummy from CsBlastoise, but just for page 3 bragging rights I'm wondering if this is the scumteam right here.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am

Post by TTTT »

GL is turning my thoughts into beautiful words
feel free to just assume I agree with everything he says until I saw otherwise
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 58, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 49, NotMySpamAccount wrote:And I agree with TTTT, do jump on a newbie for their first couple of posts. I should have been lynched day 1.
NMSA, welcome to the town club :D
I'm not as confident in town!NMSA as GL
but everything else is mind-meld
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 am

Post by TTTT »

@CsBlastoise
I know it's early
but if you had to pick one scum right now
who it be?
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 55, GuiltyLion wrote:what makes you say "freaking out", that's a very odd choice of words
I it? look at the immidiate reaction from TTTT
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 56, GuiltyLion wrote:good point, better not vote or lynch anybody then I gues
Im not saying lets no vote, im saying lets not lynch someone 1 day into the game after a very newbie set of posts.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 59, GuiltyLion wrote:I also don't see why you "have to agree" with Thespio here. I feel Thespio is misrepping TTTT pretty hard, TTTT never claimed to have it all figured out and the IC point is extremely reachy. Thespio is basically inventing a scum!TTTT narrative to throw shade at him. TTTT even explicitly said not to continue to vote chendennis

I'm kinda thinking regardless of Thespio's alignment this sheepiness looks scummy from CsBlastoise, but just for page 3 bragging rights I'm wondering if this is the scumteam right here.
Do us all a favor, post what I said that was a missrep.
CsBlastoise
CsBlastoise
Townie
CsBlastoise
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 am

Post by CsBlastoise »

In post 59, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 42, CsBlastoise wrote:
Thespio wrote: Dude the games 30 seconds in and you are claiming to have figured it all out, tbh this looks like an early lynch gambit, with no IC trying to get newbies to collapse on one person for an early kill. Im 99.999999999% sure the things pinging your scumdar are newbies trying to learn to play.
Yeah, I kind of have to agree with this.
I also don't see why you "have to agree" with Thespio here. I feel Thespio is misrepping TTTT pretty hard, TTTT never claimed to have it all figured out and the IC point is extremely reachy. Thespio is basically inventing a scum!TTTT narrative to throw shade at him. TTTT even explicitly said not to continue to vote chendennis

Thank you for pointing out the possibility that Thespio's actions could be scummy. I think the main part of it I agree with is not so much that TTTT is trying to push something, but that the things TTTT may be pointing out might just be "newbies trying to learn to play."
GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 47, CsBlastoise wrote:If you think that, I'll have to leave that up to you.
you don't want to ask why he thinks that?

I feel like there'd be a lot of benefits, you could understand where TTTT is coming from better to help sort his slot
you could learn something in a general sense about what behaviors may be considered scummy in games here on mafiascum

but to just say "meh, I'll leave that to you" feels decidedly not curious in a bad way, and possibly like you want to wash your hands of the attention paid to chendennis
No, that's inaccurate, I'm just trying to say that chen's contributions so far look more like null newbie things to me. That being said, I do think we should investigate chen more, particularly by asking him directly for input and getting some participation from him — I mean, come on, he's only got five posts so far, and each one was only one line long (not counting the quote in one of them).

CsBlastoise
CsBlastoise
Townie
CsBlastoise
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 am

Post by CsBlastoise »

Oh flip, I got Ninja'd by six posts and I didn't notice (that is to say, the last post I saw was #59). Well, I gotta go somewhere quick; TTTT and Thespio, I'll get back to you soon.

GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 63, Thespio wrote:
In post 55, GuiltyLion wrote:what makes you say "freaking out", that's a very odd choice of words
I it? look at the immidiate reaction from TTTT
You didn't answer my question. Why did you say "freaking out"?

and anything he posted afterwards is entirely irrelevant because you had already described him as "freaking out" and posted it by then. You also said "two experienced players", which includes me as well. Even setting TTTT aside, where was I freaking out?

(also I have looked at the entirety of TTTT's posts and I see no freaking out, so you're gonna have to show me)
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 64, Thespio wrote:
In post 56, GuiltyLion wrote:good point, better not vote or lynch anybody then I gues
Im not saying lets no vote, im saying lets not lynch someone 1 day into the game after a very newbie set of posts.
and no one was saying to lynch him 1 day into the game, so if that was your argument then you've completely missed the point of us pressuring him and voting him. you're saying you wanted to jump in to defend a newbie because you didn't want to lynch him immediately when nobody was advocating for that. a vote on day 1 (both in real life and in the game) is not "I want this person lynched right now", and with your experience you should know that.
In post 65, Thespio wrote:
In post 59, GuiltyLion wrote:I also don't see why you "have to agree" with Thespio here. I feel Thespio is misrepping TTTT pretty hard, TTTT never claimed to have it all figured out and the IC point is extremely reachy. Thespio is basically inventing a scum!TTTT narrative to throw shade at him. TTTT even explicitly said not to continue to vote chendennis

Do us all a favor, post what I said that was a missrep.
well, we can start with the "freaking out" thing I've already called out.

and then continue with you saying that TTTT claimed to have it all figured out. He never said that.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:53 am

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 66, CsBlastoise wrote:Thank you for pointing out the possibility that Thespio's actions could be scummy. I think the main part of it I agree with is not so much that TTTT is trying to push something, but that
the things TTTT may be pointing out might just be "newbies trying to learn to play."
but how can you agree on this when you don't know what "things" TTTT is pointing out or why he thinks they're scummy? You asked him if he found chen scummy and he said yes, but then you decided not to follow up, that's what I'm trying to understand. And you agreed with Thespio who seemed to be more against the idea of pressuring chendennis for what he's posted at all.
In post 66, CsBlastoise wrote:That being said, I do think we should investigate chen more, particularly by asking him directly for input and getting some participation from him — I mean, come on, he's only got five posts so far, and each one was only one line long (not counting the quote in one of them).
maybe I'm being unfair here, but if you want to ask him for input/participation, why not do that yourself?

I see votes on him as a way of getting participation from him, that's what I was doing with my opening post, and what I presume TTTT was doing as well. It's always noteworthy to me when players want to go to bat for a slot that they themselves aren't even townreading. That's a pattern that many times comes from scum, because scum will know that a questionable slot (in this case, chendennis) is town and feel a little hesitant/scared to jump on a townie's suspicions, fearing it will make them look bad for sheeping along. instead, they figure they will look like townie critical thinkers by pushing back against the common scumread du jour, and possibly earn themselves some town credit for being against a bad lynch if the lynch goes through regardless.
Screamingnoodle
Screamingnoodle
Goon
Screamingnoodle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am

Post by Screamingnoodle »

Well... No better way to start a fun game than for everyone to start arguments over seemingly meaningless information, or no information at all.

My 2 cents, voting is always a good way of getting people to talk. Dissecting why someone thinks another is scummie at this point in the game, is kind of silly. At the same time, actions speak volumes so watching closely is key, which I'm really keen to do. ;)

I have never played on MafiaScum before, however I'm no stranger to Mafia and used to play on another forum years ago. It's been a few years since I've played so I'm re-introducing myself to the gameplay. That's a little about myself. Can't wait to get to know you all better.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 70, GuiltyLion wrote:but how can you agree on this when you don't know what "things" TTTT is pointing out or why he thinks they're scummy? You asked him if he found chen scummy and he said yes, but then you decided not to follow up, that's what I'm trying to understand. And you agreed with Thespio who seemed to be more against the idea of pressuring chendennis for what he's posted at all.
Im sorry but this makes you look dense, if you arent willing to read the game why are you queuing? I can help for all the newbies, click "Activity Overview" and then next to TTTT click ISO.
If you do you can see what people have posted, i dont care if we pressure Chendennis, lets just not lynch someone because of some newbie posts, Im more curious why you are so offensive with nothing to go on. Why dont you think early posts arent NAI? why do you think im miss repping? why are you replying saying im not answering questions when I am? I think you might be the best place to put pressure.
CsBlastoise
CsBlastoise
Townie
CsBlastoise
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 am

Post by CsBlastoise »

In post 62, TTTT wrote:@CsBlastoise
I know it's early
but if you had to pick one scum right now
who it be?
Too soon to say.
In post 64, Thespio wrote:
Yeah, we need more than five one-liners, one of which was an EBWOP, to justify a lynch on anyone. That being said, if chen doesn't add much soon, a case could be made for lurking.
In post 70, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 66, CsBlastoise wrote:Thank you for pointing out the possibility that Thespio's actions could be scummy. I think the main part of it I agree with is not so much that TTTT is trying to push something, but that
the things TTTT may be pointing out might just be "newbies trying to learn to play."
but how can you agree on this when you don't know what "things" TTTT is pointing out or why he thinks they're scummy? You asked him if he found chen scummy and he said yes, but then you decided not to follow up, that's what I'm trying to understand. …
Maybe a better way to respond to TTTT would have been, "Well, I think it looks more like newbie behavior than scum behavior, but, knowing that you have more experience than I do, I would not be surprised if you picked up on something I may not have." But yes, now I'm realizing that I should ask @TTTT, just what is it in Chen's minimal content that you find scummy?
In post 70, GuiltyLion wrote:And you agreed with Thespio who seemed to be more against the idea of pressuring chendennis for what he's posted at all.
In post 66, CsBlastoise wrote:That being said, I do think we should investigate chen more, particularly by asking him directly for input and getting some participation from him — I mean, come on, he's only got five posts so far, and each one was only one line long (not counting the quote in one of them).
maybe I'm being unfair here, but if you want to ask him for input/participation, why not do that yourself?
Sure.
@Chennisden, what do you have to say about these reads on you? Anything you have to say for yourself?

Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 38, TTTT wrote:two more votes on chennis would be a lynch
let's not do that right now plz
Looking at it this seems super LAME