Newbie 1920: North America [Endgame]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Post by TheASC »

In post 33, GrandWazoo wrote:Better hope he's scum, or that the 2 awol players aren't.
Not sure what exactly it is that you're saying here. Are you saying that the two missing players would lynch me the second they have the chance if they're scum?
No Setup:
Here are numerous abilities allowing you to deduce the numerous mafia members hidden among you and protect others.

TheASC:
hehe love <3
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:47 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

In post 50, TheASC wrote:
In post 33, GrandWazoo wrote:Better hope he's scum, or that the 2 awol players aren't.
Not sure what exactly it is that you're saying here. Are you saying that the two missing players would lynch me the second they have the chance if they're scum?
Correct-a-mundo.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:54 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

In post 46, teacher wrote:
In post 44, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 42, teacher wrote:
In post 27, GrandWazoo wrote:It has no effect on the outcome
I strongly disagree.
If there are games that have been decided in RVS I've never played in one.
Not decided
That was the whole point of the basketball opening-tip analogy. Nobody remembers who won the opening tip by the 3d quarter, and nobody remembers RVS by D3.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 am

Post by teacher »

In post 52, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 46, teacher wrote:
In post 44, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 42, teacher wrote:
In post 27, GrandWazoo wrote:It has no effect on the outcome
I strongly disagree.
If there are games that have been decided in RVS I've never played in one.
Not decided
That was the whole point of the basketball opening-tip analogy. Nobody remembers who won the opening tip by the 3d quarter, and nobody remembers RVS by D3.
thats when I find it useful. I think it has some of the best associative data after flips. Not as good as VCA, but better than later posts when scum strategies can be more developed.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:01 am

Post by northsidegal »

VC 1.01

votes
[3] TheASC
:
Skellen , Persivul , chennisden
[2] chennisden
:
GrandWazoo , teacher
[1] Sekaedy
:
TheASC
[1] teacher
:
Zeito
[1] Zeito
:
Sekaedy

[1] Not Voting
:
Robb Stark

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2019-03-12 17:37:59)

Mod Notes
: :D
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:06 am

Post by Skellen »

In post 31, chennisden wrote: I wanted to wait a little for reactions
Meh. What kind of better reactions could you have hoped for with voting no lynch instead of pushing a person that is giving you scummy vibes? I mean you voted later when Persivul did the first step, but errrh... I don't understand the reluctance at first.
In post 33, GrandWazoo wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing a scum agenda here from ASC other than lamist-y posting, not unusual from newbie.
Can you explain what lamist means in this context with ASC? I know what it stands for, but after having read it several times (in both positive and negative ways, I think) I don't really get how it is supposed to get interpreted as it sounds like it can be judged in any way.
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am

Post by Skellen »

In post 35, Zeito wrote: It may seem like I'm defending TheASC here, and take away from that whatever you wish, obviously at this stage I have no idea whether they're scum or not and I'm not committing to any town read on them at this point. I personally voted Skellen mostly because they hadn't been voted yet, whether in fear of being seen as 'sheeping', or just seeing if I could get a reaction that hadn't been obtained yet. I assume TheASC may have done something similar. (Re-reading his post he actually said exactly that).
What imo is the difference between your (or any other) and ASC's vote is imo his need for justifying for shoving his vote in later after all the others immediately voted. Imo that wasn't even necessary as RVS is pretty arbitrarily as GW said in another post. It looks a little bit defensive for such a trivial matter. The vote itself is ok.

Then again, you know him probably better than most of us, would you say it's rather a clumsy newbslip by ASC or is that more out of character for him to explain/justify himself over such small things?

On another note one thing pings me off here though. Why were you afraid of "sheeping" in RVS? Or to put it the other way: afraid of what?
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:15 am

Post by Skellen »

In post 47, TheASC wrote: Similar to Zeito, I wanted to get an input from all the players if possible. I thought this would be a good way to get one of the final 2 players active as I believe that the best way to win games like that is to get input from as many people as possible. If you get everyone talking, you can bounce ideas off each other and later on compare SRs etc.
I see. Happens that instead the talk is more about you though. So to look from another angle: what do you think of the wagon on you?
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 am

Post by Skellen »

@teacher:
What makes chennis for you easy
caught scum
? The timing of his vote?

Also were you satisfied with ASC's answer to your #? Just wondered that you didn't persuade him further as I thought he gave a pretty generic response, which seemed kind of unusual for you to let him off the hook that fast.
Zeito
Zeito
Townie
Zeito
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:55 am

Post by Zeito »

In post 51, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 50, TheASC wrote:
Correct-a-mundo.
Largely disagree with this, scum has no reason to quickhammer day 1, especially with both players quickhammering. Reading the wagon after he has flipped is something I will be doing, but I'm not going to get on him for now, as he has largely been pushed because of an RVS vote.
In post 56, Skellen wrote:What imo is the difference between your (or any other) and ASC's vote is imo his need for justifying for shoving his vote in later after all the others immediately voted. Imo that wasn't even necessary as RVS is pretty arbitrarily as GW said in another post. It looks a little bit defensive for such a trivial matter. The vote itself is ok.

Then again, you know him probably better than most of us, would you say it's rather a clumsy newbslip by ASC or is that more out of character for him to explain/justify himself over such small things?

On another note one thing pings me off here though. Why were you afraid of "sheeping" in RVS? Or to put it the other way: afraid of what?
To answer your first question, his justification for placing an RVS later is maybe a little unnecessary, looking back. Although I would assume it's simply to clarify it was an RVS rather than a vote 'for no reason', it could also be overly cautious about placing an rvs. I generally distrust pmetas though, so I can't tell from my experience of games with him.

I put "sheeping" in quotation marks because sheeping wouldn't really exist in these early stages. I guess I mentioned it just because from my experience RVS votes are always spread across almost every player, and although this generally fails to generate much discussion without sheeping for pressure, it's still the most natural thing for me to do.
In post 55, Skellen wrote:
Meh. What kind of better reactions could you have hoped for with voting no lynch instead of pushing a person that is giving you scummy vibes? I mean you voted later when Persivul did the first step, but errrh... I don't understand the reluctance at first.
In post 33, GrandWazoo wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing a scum agenda here from ASC other than lamist-y posting, not unusual from newbie.
Can you explain what lamist means in this context with ASC? I know what it stands for, but after having read it several times (in both positive and negative ways, I think) I don't really get how it is supposed to get interpreted as it sounds like it can be judged in any way.
Waiting for Persivul to place the first vote before being comfortable to do so yourself is also a little off to me.

@teacher - this was the part I agreed with regarding the "Why not make a joke statement, for reference. I don't really see why not making a joke seems strange to you.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Post by chennisden »

@teacher

RVS doesn't really matter that much, I agree with the tip analogy
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

In post 55, Skellen wrote:
I didn't interpret it at all initially, until others starting commenting on it, at which point it occurred to me that ASC could indeed be viewed as trying to look town without doing anything. But I don't find it AI much less scummy.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 am

Post by teacher »

Prodge til tonight. I’ll answer more in depth later Skellen but I thought ASC was pretty towny. The questions weren’t really for him but to see if anybody would jump in the shade without any real analysis and Chennis did. I agree with Wazoos read on ASC which is why Wazoo for my first out of null town.
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 am

Post by TheASC »

In post 57, Skellen wrote:
In post 47, TheASC wrote: Similar to Zeito, I wanted to get an input from all the players if possible. I thought this would be a good way to get one of the final 2 players active as I believe that the best way to win games like that is to get input from as many people as possible. If you get everyone talking, you can bounce ideas off each other and later on compare SRs etc.
I see. Happens that instead the talk is more about you though. So to look from another angle: what do you think of the wagon on you?
I don't mind the conversation about my RVS post; it's better than having no conversation at all. However, I'm a little suspicious of just how quickly the wagon built up with Persivul and chennisden's back to back votes in #29 and #30, especially considering their lack of explanation for a non-RVS vote.
No Setup:
Here are numerous abilities allowing you to deduce the numerous mafia members hidden among you and protect others.

TheASC:
hehe love <3
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 am

Post by Skellen »

In post 59, Zeito wrote: Largely disagree with this, scum has no reason to quickhammer day 1, especially with both players quickhammering.
This is actually a thing though. Something similar happened in my last game when town unvoted to avoid a premature hammer with both scum rushing in always putting the vote back to L-1 to provoke the announced hammer. I kind of agree with you though, because imo it's dumb considering everything is blowing right into their faces after such a move.

@teacher:
I see, that explains for me why you acted like that, but I will look forward for the detailed answer and respond to it then.

OT: Anyone else having issues with the site loading? Couldn't access to this site for like half the day. Needed an eternity just for this single post.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Prodding Sekaedy and Persivul. Searching for a replacement for Robb Stark, who did not pick up his role PM.

things fall apart
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Post by chennisden »

I have no problem with the site loading
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Post by chennisden »

While I'm not very happy with the amount of people on TheASC's wagon, I still feel like it's the right wagon
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Post by Persivul »

Sorry, didn't realize it had been that long. I'll catch up tomorrow.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Post by GrandWazoo »

In post 67, chennisden wrote:While I'm not very happy with the amount of people on TheASC's wagon, I still feel like it's the right wagon
Confused by this post. Why are you unhappy with the wagon you're on?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Scum reading replaces Robb Stark.

things fall apart
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Post by scum reading »

Ayyy hello everyone, catching uo will take like 5 minutes
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Post by scum reading »

In post 8, teacher wrote:So this is my first non-IC newbie game. Welcome everyone, and skellen especially from our history. I had a custom of posing some introductory questions to get the game started:

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
1. Um I played a lot of games like Mafia, but I just came on this website about three weks ago or so.
2. I usually am really vocal and I like to use my votes to pressure and gain reactions
3. It depends, I still am vocal as scum as well, so good luck reading me. My scum game is usually the same as my town game. You can check out my scum game, it just ended, it was my first game on this website. It’s the Newbie 1918.
4. My flaw is that I don’t town read a lot of people and I focus on scums, that’s why my reads will change a lot during the game. There are a multitude of things I look for when scum hunting, I’ll point them out as the game goes
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Post by chennisden »

In post 69, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 67, chennisden wrote:While I'm not very happy with the amount of people on TheASC's wagon, I still feel like it's the right wagon
Confused by this post. Why are you unhappy with the wagon you're on?
I am happy with this wagon

I am unhappy with the amount of people on it
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Post by chennisden »

And TheASC reminds me of my own scumplay

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”