Newbie 1920: North America [Endgame]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Post by GrandWazoo »

GW has continually cited SRs posts as distracting, but it seems they weren't that distracting (since you obtained a scumread off of them). I'm assuming I'm being pedantic and you meant more like "they meant to be distracting" but I have to agree that there wasn't much to distract from - scum doesn't tend to distract town with themself, at least not from the games I've played.
I do feel GW is justified in reading SRs votes as wagon hopping, he does change his reads a little quickly, and they seem a little unstable. He has mentioned his votes are like this however (whether you trust self pmeta like that or not) and like I said before, he has recognised that wagon-hopping is scummy yet seems to continue to do so to push for reads.
I'll boil this down. SR has done things I wouldn't expect to see from either alignment. Scum typically aren't this active but town typically aren't this hyperactive and unfocused. Regardless of his meta, which he and others say indicate his town game, I consider this scattershot playstyle to be anti-town. Signal-to-noise ratio is one method I use to sort players, and a player with such a low s/n ratio is hard for me to read, even if the signal (once you find it) evinces a town agenda. A player like Persivul otoh has a high s/n ratio: he posts much less content than SR, but it's clear and concise.

Chennisden partially redeemed himself with some fresh content at the time of my post, but as with ASC and the slot that just replaced, there is very little signal to go on.

All that said I'm coming round to the reality that barring some flurry of insightful dialog in the very near future, we're looking at an ASC lynch. I'm not opposed to this even if it's suboptimal.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Post by teacher »

I’m more open to sr than I was. The flip on ASC is grody.
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Post by scum reading »

Truth be told, I don’t know who to vote man. I have no clues. We aren’t getting any more infrormation, so we need a flip and the choice of nka will tell us something. A new day generates new discussions. As for why ASC is scum, teacher has already mentioned, ASC said she would give reads 10 hours ago if not more, and then she didn’t say anything. We could wait for her to get back and give us reads, but if we aren’t lynching ASC then Idk who we should to be honest. I’m reluctant to vote chennisden although he is scummy because I know he is an easy mislynch bait, that’s why I would rather have an investigative check them. I’ve already mentioned why ASC would be a good lynch, although she seems townie in the first few posts, she stopped being that active when votes got off her. Then I asked her to give me her thoughts on my ineraction with teacher and she said that it was a TvT. I don’t know if that would look TvT from a townie perspective. She’s doing a good job looking town if she’s scum, but her not giving any sort of reads or try to game solve comes off as scummy to me. When you say you’d post reads on everyone within 30 minutes but you don’t, I take that as a stalling tool for people not to put her under the radar. I’m not pressured, I can wait for reads, but like I said, if this is town, Sekaedy has to be scum 100%
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Post by scum reading »

In post 301, teacher wrote:I’m more open to sr than I was. The flip on ASC is grody.
What do you mean by more open?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Post by northsidegal »

u r a person 2 replaces Sekaedy.

I'm extending the deadline by 24 hours.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Post by scum reading »

My guts are saying she’s town, but I hate guts. This isn’t a game where you place your vote on guts. She just has defended herself and then give an opinion on our interaction and that’s it. No attempt at game solving whatsoever. If you think about it, yeah, maybe she looks town, but there’s no indication of that in her posts. We don’t know her play style or if she’s an alt, so I’m not falling for carefully picked words to ensure a town read on her.
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Post by scum reading »

Yo what’s up urap, I’ll let you re-read and I’ll kindly ask for some reads when you are done
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Post by northsidegal »

VC 1.04

votes
[3] TheASC
:
teacher , Persivul , scum reading
[1] scum reading
:
GrandWazoo
[1] Zeito
:
Sekaedy
[1] chennisden
:
Zeito

[3] Not Voting
:
Skellen , TheASC , chennisden

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2019-03-13 17:37:59)

Mod Notes
: :D
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

im like two pages in atm but the scum team is TheASC and GW
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

oh good. that's the wagon.

gonna wait til i finish reading to put him at l-1 but like, gj
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

skellen is obv town by post 58
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 64, Skellen wrote:This is actually a thing though. Something similar happened in my last game when town unvoted to avoid a premature hammer with both scum rushing in always putting the vote back to L-1 to provoke the announced hammer. I kind of agree with you though, because imo it's dumb considering everything is blowing right into their faces after such a move.
okay but the wagon was on someone who inadvertently soft-claimed super hard like 3 times and i needed a claim from him

props to good for the check tho ;P
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 72, scum reading wrote:3. It depends, I still am vocal as scum as well, so good luck reading me. My scum game is usually the same as my town game. You can check out my scum game, it just ended, it was my first game on this website. It’s the Newbie 1918.
I read that game as it happened because I offered to rep into your slot.

and i skimmed your iso here just now

difference is night and day

strong town
103-11 0-2
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Post by scum reading »

In post 308, u r a person 2 wrote:im like two pages in atm but the scum team is TheASC and GW
I can imagine this scum team as well. Post never comes from town.
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 94, scum reading wrote:If you want to be a part of my town block you have to pay a tax that is equivalent to voting teacher
yeah this is a mile outside your scum range rn

tho probably not by next game ;P
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 97, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 81, scum reading wrote: Because when they get back and see a wagon on them, they’ll freak out and defend as soon as possible, which will make scumtelling way easier. I disagree with your view here, the reason you vote is to apply pressure and you don’t have reads on inactive / lurking people, obviously, so why would I vote for someone that is talking considering they will be most likely pushed because of their activity, while lurkers slip under the radar. You don’t have to keep a tunnel vision and only suspect the active player pool, keep lurkers in check.
In post 96, scum reading wrote:
In post 95, teacher wrote:??since I’m still the most active poster despite being active lurkey from RL, and haven’t seen a case I don’t get this push at all.
Activity doesn’t mean anything. Scum can be active or lurkey. I made a case on you, my
Which is it? Is activity useful for scumhunting or not?
In post 98, scum reading wrote:I don’t think you got my point. In my 81 I was explaining how keeping lurkers in check doesn’t come off as scum because you need to get information from them as well ( I was defending ASC in that post) and in my 96 I was saying that him saying” I am active, I don’t get the push on me” isn’t a solid defence. Just because you’re active, it doesn’t necessarily make you town. I said I’d be on Seka, but because teacher made that post it immediately raised my awareness and I saw how suspicious it was, so I went for a vote on him. A push on Seka wouldn’t give me information at the moment, but that read on teacher’s part is really suspicious, it seemed like he was trying to “buddy” someone, although the person he was defending clearly didn’t do any of the things teacher mentioned. Getting lurkers to speak up needs town coordination, which won’t be a thing here, so I went for the more active AND suspicious player. I can get back to Seka at anytime I feel like, but for now, I already have the information on teacher, so why wouldn’t I push?
no, scum reading, Grand wazoo got it. He's just trying to look like he's doing something in this exchange
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

zeito's thought processes are wonky, but there are a lot of them. This is the slot that is going to ping me scum but end up town at a rate at least greater than random.
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 106, chennisden wrote:last game scumreading rolled scum, he does NOT play like this as scum
good catch
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 110, scum reading wrote:At the moment, I don’t believe your case is enough for me to put my vote on ASC and his posts look town imo, at this stage it’s mostly based on guts. I think his rvs post might look scummy, but I don’t think you should make a case against that,
okay, a lot of town this game are expressing this thought process, and when I'm done catching up I can go through a game by game review of the newbie queue games I've been in if someone wants (or you could just read my posts in endgame in like, any of them), but this is dead wrong.

Especially for new players, the first like two pages are the easiest place to catch scum.

just as a teaser for skellen and teacher, last game my tell on newb-scum would have caught both flippy and my predecessor in their very first posts
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

Okay, this discussion of whether or not ASC's vote was scummy hurt to read. The bolded are the parts that SCREAM newb!scum
In post 11, TheASC wrote:
Hello, everyone.
This is my first game on here, so I'm hoping for something good :)

While I'm here, might as well answer teacher's questions.
They seem a good way for us to get to know each other.
1. Over the last couple of months, I've hosted and played quite frequently in real life and in chat rooms.
2. Usually, slowly. I have a tendency to overthink things and
am not keen to rush into things unless absolutely necessary.

3. Mostly the same as 2, but with the lowered tension that comes from having someone to fall back on/ditch at the last second.
4. The strongest townreads I get from people are usually from people actively trying to forward the game and generally help out, although I often struggle with telling the difference between town doing it to advance their win con and scum doing it to look towny.

Teacher, you mentioned history with Skellen. Anything worth mentioning from past experience with them?

Oh, and hello to Zeito, who is following me from one of the chat rooms I mentioned earlier. Nice to see you here.
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 114, teacher wrote:
In post 83, Persivul wrote:
In post 45, teacher wrote:
In post 33, GrandWazoo wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing a scum agenda here from ASC other than lamist-y posting, not unusual from newbie. Better hope he's scum, or that the 2 awol players aren't.
first in-game town read awarded.
Why, for that NSS post?
Yes, for that one. He derailed a momentum wagon with accurate thoughts. True, the thoughts may have been NSS/simple, but what is the scum motivation for sharing it at that time? I cant really come up with one -- it does not feel like a whiteknight/pocket, because it is too soft for that. Why dont you think it was towny if you agree with it?
because they're partners and it was a panic post
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 133, teacher wrote:and I have an over 70% victory rate.
color me impressed
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 141, GrandWazoo wrote:
In post 128, scum reading wrote:Actually, you know what, after giving it some thought, I realised that a teacher lynch right now is better, I don’t want sekaedy lynched just yet, they’ll give thoughts and if they flaked, let them be replaced. Another reason for voting teacher back I’ll give later, I want to see some more conversations before I present my thoughts

VOTE: teacher
This wagon-hopping is making me dizzy. Give your reason now plz.

I don't know which is sillier, teacher giving me town points for my Sherlock post, or the wagon that ensued from it.

@Persi: you said you'd vote me or teacher, but your vote is on Sekaedy who's being replaced. Is that still the scummiest slot in the game?
interesting that you're interested in teacher's interest in that post only after others have expressed interest in lynching him.
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 144, scum reading wrote:Even if I’m wrong, that doesn’t still refute my case on you, which was “who gives town reads based on somebody’s choice of words in a rvs vote” , so you still have no defence in my eyes.

I DO!
103-11 0-2
scum reading
scum reading
Goon
scum reading
Goon
Goon

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Post by scum reading »

Now that urap pointed it out, it would make a lot of sense for wazoo to be scum with ASC. He was never on her wagon, he said that NSS post, but tbh, who would even hammer day one? You're saying scum would definitely do that when they wouldn't, what scum team would vote asc in rvs with no information and get a lynch on a town. From this perspective, wazoo's thought process is weird and now I take his post as a scum trying to get suspicion off of his buddy. I don't know if he meta-gamed chennis before he placed his vote, but he got lucky with that vote because chennisden is the easiest mislynch bait out of everyone here and he advocated for a lynch on chennisden. After I pointed that out, he still was on chennisden for a lot of time and then he felt the need to shift his vote to me and he picked up on my play style rather than my actions. There's no scum agenda coming from me at all, he just wants a mislynch because his scum buddy is getting hard pushed. Moreover, I pointed out that I have answered his whole case and his vote is still on me. He's trying to "work with me" but he still has his vote parked on me because he doesn't want to look scummy for not voting ASC. I refuted his case long ago and he's the only one voting me right now.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”