Newbie 1925 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Post by Micc »

Searching for a replacement for Arithmancer.

Votecount 1.05
zeebu (2) -
ZestOfLife, Schiavetto
ZestOfLife (2) -
TTTT, Sashaddin
TheASC (1) -
JPD
Sashaddin (1) -
teacher
TTTT (1) -
zeebu

Not Voting (2) -
Arithmancer, TheASC

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2019-04-15 17:35:00).
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 115, TTTT wrote:this game needs more teacher
Here, sorry. Grades and comments due today!
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 84, Sashaddin wrote:I suspect scum are in the lurker pool, I can't find scum in anyone around 10 posts right now.
From the absence of newb!scum tells, Im somewhat inclined to think that there is an experienced scum in the mix. I have a townlean on you, and a null with a scum tinge on TTTT. To be honest, I think I am always leery of that slot, but I havent seen all that much game advancing from him, even after he got out of the delay pattern.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 88, TTTT wrote:
In post 60, TTTT wrote:@ZestofLife
@zeebu

if you had to choose the most likely scum player right now
who?
I'm just waiting for this
I referenced this above, but why not play with others while you wait? Its unlike you to just sit.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 91, zeebu wrote:
In post 90, TheASC wrote:Sorry for the poke, hopefully I'll be more active over the next few days. I guess that's the problem with having so many reactionary players - It's easier to build on someone else's post than it is to start something new.
In post 88, TTTT wrote:
@zeebu

who?
Why specifically those two? Is it for their inactivity? Arithmancer has posted less than those two, and Schia and I have been away for just as long.

i think hes asking us for our reads

mild scum lean on arith for post 54. several had already stated this (including myself) and general agreement that it probably wasnt likely to happen anyway. i dont think it needed to be said again.

sorry for the lack of posting on the weekend, i should have tried to find a computer. i spend a good portion of my weekdays tied to my desk so i expect a large jump in my activity starting now.
This is actually my strongest scumread.

First, theres a bit of oddity in the language: "I think hes asking us for our reads". TTTT's question isnt ambiguous - he is indeed asking for your reads. This line, though arguably responsive to ASC, simply strikes me as tonally off.

Second, I dont get the scum read of arith from 54, if not the others that repeated the same point. Indeed, Arith's 54 on the whole gave me town vibes, even if it was flogging a dead horse. Such was the gamestate at the time.

Third, Im curious about the appearance of an avatar different from the one provided from someone who didnt seem graphically inclined.

VOTE: Zeebu
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 97, TTTT wrote:you
Shiav
zeebu
in order
Vibing
Vibing
How does that one post leapfrog from scum to town while skipping the apparent entire null pile?
in order.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 99, TTTT wrote:@Teacher
what do you make of Sash's TR on you?
Towny reasoning, but weak read. I can play this way as any alignment. If I were casing myself, Id point to the L-2 quick vote as possibly my towniest point, the questions are pretty NAI.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 101, TTTT wrote:that's actually an incredibly townie question for a newbie to ask
Disagree. Think its more NAI site meta digging.

Speaking to my own style, I tend to question things without an apparent purpose, hoping to draw scum deeper into an issue I already have before I make the case. Somewhat akin to TTTT questioning you for reads before saying he thought your entrance was scummy.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 120, zeebu wrote:he seems sort of eager to finish the first day, whether that means hes scum or has a night action, i have no idea there. probably he just wants to see the game progress.

honestly sort of a town lean though, he seems accusatory enough of basically everyone, not trying to hide at all. he also came in guns blazing saying to lynch sasha straight away. i know he was joking but still, just doesnt seem like someone trying to blend in with the crowd
1. Dont give your PR suspicions in thread.

2. Why do you say JPD is eager to finish the day?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Post by teacher »

Will be very interested in Arith's replacement readup.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Post by teacher »

Zest, comment on two players other than Zeebu?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 38, JPD wrote:In your last (and only other) game you said the same thing repeatedly.
Who else have you metadived?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Post by teacher »

Teacher
JPD
Schiavetto
Sashaddin
Sashaddin
Sashaddin
Mafia Scum
Sashaddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Post by Sashaddin »

129 above was one solid post. Allow me to sheep it. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the wagon though...
L-1
TheASC
TheASC
Goon
TheASC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Post by TheASC »

Just had another good look through the thread, here's a summary of my thoughts. I'll probably vote later today once I've properly thought about where to go from here.

In post 13, TTTT wrote:I like where this is going...

VOTE: Sash

L-1

If you vote for Sash he will be lynched
don't do this yet
In post 23, TTTT wrote:do you really think town comes in here and lolhammers?
@TTTT, you understand just how unlikely it is for town to hammer yet you feel the need to specify "If you vote for Sash he will be lynched" "don't do this yet". Why? Are you doubting that people wouldn't know how the game works and would join the lynch train because they didn't know what they were doing?
In post 39, Schiavetto wrote:Honestly, have to echo the sentiments of T4 and others w/rt the assumption that town would, idk, accidentally trip over, fall into their keyboard, awkwardly landing on the keys "LYNCH SASH" and hammer

Even without browsing previous games, it feels like you're preempting a defensive read there ASC ("Look at me, I'm being cautious of town making a mistake, which makes me town myself!")

There's utility in early-game wagon-building & I'm in no rush to relieve pressure, even if rand. Parking, fam.
In the vast majority of games, I play very cautiously as either faction, especially as town. The people that have played multiple games with me before would know this.

In post 76, teacher wrote:
In post 55, ZestOfLife wrote:I blame timezones
Another good getting to know people issue - general timezones? Im North America, and usually on late at night or early morning my time as I am limited during the school day. On experience, I have appr. 20 games, with only 1 true scum experience outside marathon or replacements. In general, Im a try-hard as any alignment.
I'm in the UK so BST (GMT+1) at the moment.

In post 102, Sashaddin wrote:
In post 101, TTTT wrote:that's actually an incredibly townie question for a newbie to ask
Personally, I started with a paranoiac state style where I wanted every post to be 100% perfect, to be townread. This can lead people to think you're scum that walks on eggshells...
Now I go with what I think, no holds. It makes me more authentic, but many people find that I'm scummy even when playing town. Eh. Since I'm authentic, it's much easier to play this way though.
Find your own style and be comfortable with it. Good players will still be able to read you.
In post 103, Sashaddin wrote:Oh I meant to quote Zeebu in the above ^^
I appreciate the irony of making a mistake in a post where you state you want "every post to be 100% perfect", whether this was intentional or not.

In post 129, teacher wrote:
In post 91, zeebu wrote:
In post 90, TheASC wrote:Sorry for the poke, hopefully I'll be more active over the next few days. I guess that's the problem with having so many reactionary players - It's easier to build on someone else's post than it is to start something new.
In post 88, TTTT wrote:
@zeebu

who?
Why specifically those two? Is it for their inactivity? Arithmancer has posted less than those two, and Schia and I have been away for just as long.

mild scum lean on arith for post 54. several had already stated this (including myself) and general agreement that it probably wasnt likely to happen anyway. i dont think it needed to be said again.

sorry for the lack of posting on the weekend, i should have tried to find a computer. i spend a good portion of my weekdays tied to my desk so i expect a large jump in my activity starting now.

First, theres a bit of oddity in the language: "I think hes asking us for our reads". TTTT's question isnt ambiguous - he is indeed asking for your reads. This line, though arguably responsive to ASC, simply strikes me as tonally off.

Second, I dont get the scum read of arith from 54, if not the others that repeated the same point. Indeed, Arith's 54 on the whole gave me town vibes, even if it was flogging a dead horse. Such was the gamestate at the time.

Third, Im curious about the appearance of an avatar different from the one provided from someone who didnt seem graphically inclined.

First: There is another possible interpretation the way I see it, which is that TTTT was asking the rest of us which of those two we thought was the scummiest.
Second: I personally don't see anything too alignment indicative either way from , although that could just be me being new and bad at reading.
Third: Is this supposed to be reason to SR Zeebu? Yes, it's unusual but how is that at all scummy?

Sashaddin wrote:129 above was one solid post. Allow me to sheep it. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the wagon though...
L-1
Not 100% comfortable with the wagon, but pushes to L-1 anyway?
No Setup:
Here are numerous abilities allowing you to deduce the numerous mafia members hidden among you and protect others.

TheASC:
hehe love <3
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 128, teacher wrote:
In post 88, TTTT wrote:
@zeebu

who?
I referenced this above, but why not play with others while you wait? Its unlike you to just sit.
nothing was happening
and was busy IRL
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 130, teacher wrote:
In post 97, TTTT wrote:you
Shiav
zeebu
in order
Vibing
Vibing
How does that one post leapfrog from scum to town while skipping the apparent entire null pile?
in order.
it leapfrogged from a weak scum lean based on early posts
to a townlean
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 138, Sashaddin wrote:129 above was one solid post. Allow me to sheep it. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the wagon though...
L-1
why do you dislike the wagon
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Post by TTTT »

In post 139, TheASC wrote:TTTT, you understand just how unlikely it is for town to hammer yet you feel the need to specify "If you vote for Sash he will be lynched" "don't do this yet". Why? Are you doubting that people wouldn't know how the game works and would join the lynch train because they didn't know what they were doing?
yeah I doubt town lolhammers bc I'd just made that warning about lolhammering
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:44 am

Post by zeebu »

In post 133, teacher wrote:
In post 120, zeebu wrote:he seems sort of eager to finish the first day, whether that means hes scum or has a night action, i have no idea there. probably he just wants to see the game progress.

honestly sort of a town lean though, he seems accusatory enough of basically everyone, not trying to hide at all. he also came in guns blazing saying to lynch sasha straight away. i know he was joking but still, just doesnt seem like someone trying to blend in with the crowd
1. Dont give your PR suspicions in thread.

2. Why do you say JPD is eager to finish the day?
1. there are a lot of rules here that i dont understand i guess.

2. joking or not, he said he was open to the idea of lynching almost immediately.

i went on to say i dont get that bad a vibe from him.
Sashaddin
Sashaddin
Mafia Scum
Sashaddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 am

Post by Sashaddin »

In post 142, TTTT wrote:why do you dislike the wagon
I'm growing wary of one of the people on the wagon. It might not be 100% town. I know an all-town rarely happens anyways... but ...
I might have some free time at work to check this out further, I will have a clearer head than yesterday evening.
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:51 am

Post by zeebu »

In post 129, teacher wrote:
In post 91, zeebu wrote:
In post 88, TTTT wrote:
@zeebu

who?

what do you mean arguably? i think it was obvious what i meant there. to me it seemed like tttt was asking zest and i for our reads in the game so far. asc read it as tttt asking the thread to get reads on us i think. not sure what was ambiguous about what i said. in that case 'he' would refer to tttt and 'our' would refer to zest and myself.

as far as the read on arith, it no longer seems incredibly relevant since they havent posted since then. i agree with your statement, beating a dead horse, so keyed in on that. clearly arith instead took off and never responded.

and as far as the avatars go, i appreciate you finding me a dumptruck. i typically play with avatars and pictures off and just show text. i forgot that i had another avatar already ready to go from a different forum (where i also have them turned off)
JPD
JPD
Townie
JPD
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:01 am

Post by JPD »

VOTE: Sahsa

You say you don't like the Zeebu wagon and vote for Zest instead (), still aren't comfortable with it but switch your vote to him for L-1 () and then say you are wary of people on the wagon ().

The logic doesn't seem consistent.
JPD
JPD
Townie
JPD
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 am

Post by JPD »

In post 136, teacher wrote:Who else have you metadived?
ASC, Sasha, TTTT.
ASC for his wariness of L-1. Sasha for and TTTT for delaying and he just feels off I guess.

The dives were useful and I'm going to be looking for some things in their posts. Nothing damning of any of them though.
JPD
JPD
Townie
JPD
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:19 am

Post by JPD »

I disagree with Teacher's read of Zeebu. When asked for his read he could have easily fingered some of the more obvious candidates and I don't think anyone would have questioned it all that much. Picking someone outside of that feels like he's actually trying to think critically and put some effort in to find scum.

Same thing goes for his T4 read/vote. He thought logically and did something that made him stand out. I feel like scum, especially newb!scum like Zeebu would be, wouldn't want to do that.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”