Newbie 1926: Baseball (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Shoshin
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Shoshin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:35 am

Post by Shoshin »

There's nothing wrong with introducing yourself.

The scum are starting to becoming obvious in this one. Anyone else seeing it yet?
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:39 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

No, there's nothing wrong with introducing yourself. It just happens to be scum-indicative in new players.

Why don't you tell us who the obvious scum are, Shoshin?
103-11 0-2
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am

Post by the worst »

In post 212, Marcus325 wrote:@the worst whats ypur experience with this 'greeting tell'?
It's a thing. I think URAP and loopdan are the main people I've seen who use it.

It's not something I'm super vested in personally because I don't tend to use broad tells like that (they're too easy to subvert with "level one" scumplay; i.e. the moment you're self aware, you decide whether or not to greet the thread rather than doing it as an awkward thing).

I haven't rub the numbers but from what I've heard it does point to scum more often then not. I probably won't run the numbers btw I'm kinda lazy
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am

Post by the worst »

In post 216, DENMON wrote:How do I change the time zone here? I must have clicked the wrong one when I registered my account >.>
Go to the user control panel (top leftish below the banner), Board Preferences tab, then it's on that screen about 4/5 of the way down :)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:11 am

Post by the worst »

In post 223, Ryno56 wrote:It just feels like there's no real information to strategise with, so we basically have to invent our own game. It's weird. I'm not sure if I enjoy that.
That's basically mafia at its core.
It feels a little strange at first but you'll get in the swing of it. I promise. :)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 am

Post by the worst »

In post 195, the worst wrote:{tw} locktown
{urap, shoshin} strong town
{whig, marc} townreads
{lav} leaning town

I don't really townread Ryno tbh I just don't think he's associated with the players I actively scumread :U if Lav reds I'd be tormenting him bc his push on her looked overconfident/bussy

DENMON and Godmid (+ Lav and Ryno) if you guys are town please help me solve this game because I feel markedly less confident T_T
Townreading Ryno and losing my townread on the whig/Urist slot by the way
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

why losing the town read on urist
103-11 0-2
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am

Post by the worst »

GERTING TREL

nah just need more to feel more comfortable with that, it's just slipping over time
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:20 am

Post by the worst »

Subject: Newbie 1866 - Canine Mafia [GAME OVER]
the worst wrote:In case day ends quickly some advice for TPRs (just general advice, Una/Pingu jump in if you disagree or have more to add)

Cop
-- DO NOT TARGET STRONG TOWN PLAYERS OR PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO "KNOW SOMETHING". they will be night killed and your results will be useless. IME cops are best suited targeting players who are kinda null reads, leaning one way or the other. if you can reach day 3 (let's say 3 town vs 2 scum) and out yourself along with your results, that's an instant town win! even in 4v1, you can push the decision down to a 50/50 lynch. If you do get a guilty it's generally advised to either 1) out yourself instantly, or 2) make it REALLY obvious who your guilty is so if you flip town can lynch them

Neopolitan
-- go for similar targets to docs. not super obvious townies, but also not people who are super shady. do not out your results right away. town power roles and scum power roles both return "not vanilla", so if you do out a NV result it can fuck the town. Try and put them in a scummier range, if anything. If you get a Vanilla result, try and townread them subtly but in a way that we'll notice if you die. If you survive until massclaim this almost nullifies scum fakeclaims.

Tracker
-- target the shady people cops need to avoid! if you track someone to a target and they're not dead there's a decent chance the person you tracked is a town power role. reassess this based on the setup once another power role has flipped / claimed etc. If you track someone to a player who dies that night, out your result immediately as on the balance of probabilities it was the night kill.

Jailkeeper
-- i hate this role :lol: you can be a roleblocker or a doctor. if you think you can guess who is most likely to be the scum killer tonight, target them--but this function is a lot stronger lategame IMO. for the time being, be a doctor. try and target players who you would kill if you were scum (priority 1: people who you think might be town power roles. priority 2: very towny players....IMO)

Doctor
-- put on your evil hat and think "who would I kill?", then target that person. As with JK priority#1 is town power roles who you think the scumteam will be on to (generally speaking, scum are better at spotting townies who are playing like power roles than town are. so if you have a suspicion, the scumteam likely do, too). Priority #2 is to target very towny players. FRIENDLY REMINDER if you target a player and they don't die, it is very likely they're town. so try and make it clear but not too clear with your reads d2 that you've "cop cleared" them.

The Wiki has shitloads more info but I'm lazy. Google "mafiascum wiki [role name]" and have a good read.

Good luck<3
just gonna drop this iconic copypasta from a game I played a thousand years ago here for any TPRs out there. obviously don't interact with this post unless there's something you agree with at a mechanical/theory level because acknowledging it may be considered a TPR tell

this came from a game where I was trying to subtly hint at who the jk should target btw. I've had some serious successes with people sheeping these tips hence I keep digging it up

in this game the dream cop target is lavender imo because she's kinda townish but hard to get a firm read on. outside of that {Ryno, whig/Urist} are good targets for now.

won't talk about doc/jk targets because manipulating nightkills rarely works out well
Marcus325
Marcus325
Townie
Marcus325
Townie
Townie

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am

Post by Marcus325 »

In post 227, the worst wrote:
In post 212, Marcus325 wrote:@the worst whats ypur experience with this 'greeting tell'?
It's a thing. I think URAP and loopdan are the main people I've seen who use it.

It's not something I'm super vested in personally because I don't tend to use broad tells like that (they're too easy to subvert with "level one" scumplay; i.e. the moment you're self aware, you decide whether or not to greet the thread rather than doing it as an awkward thing).

I haven't rub the numbers but from what I've heard it does point to scum more often then not. I probably won't run the numbers btw I'm kinda lazy
Funny you say this cause thats exactly what I was just doing lol
So out of the 3 games I checked 2/5 greeting posts were scum
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

[quote="In post 232, the worst"]GERTING TREL

lololol you can mock it all you like~ It's great for these newbie games
103-11 0-2
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am

Post by the worst »

In post 234, Marcus325 wrote:Funny you say this cause thats exactly what I was just doing lol
You make a good foil to my laziness :P

URAP do you have a dataset or just personal experience? no idea if loopdan does
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am

Post by the worst »

either way I prefer working through things I think betray town/scum motivations rather than relying on holistic tells :) it's just personal stuff. having said that I am the worst so maybe my entire approach to scumhunting is inherently flawed :?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am

Post by the worst »

urap if you had to pick a game of ours to compare your play here to which one would it be? why should I townread you for that?

(sorry for the annoying question. :P)
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 236, the worst wrote:
In post 234, Marcus325 wrote:Funny you say this cause thats exactly what I was just doing lol
You make a good foil to my laziness :P

URAP do you have a dataset or just personal experience? no idea if loopdan does
I think you mean TTTT?

Some statistics have been amassed but I am not going to share them with the public at this time
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 238, the worst wrote:urap if you had to pick a game of ours to compare your play here to which one would it be? why should I townread you for that?

(sorry for the annoying question. :P)

uhhh probably the newbie game I recently replaced into and then said I had caught the scum team in my first post

You probably remember it. In reality one of them was a pr and we ended up with a town win

Diff between here and there is that since I started this game from the beginning and because I've been busy, I didn't blow up the thread as soon as I noticed it. Figured I'd let a little more happen, but then i wanted to engage you because duckling =/

You probably shouldn't town read me off of that one game's similarities, tbh. =P

There are probably better players than me to ask about how to read me - hey, you're one of them!
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

oh do you mean one that you and I played together? I dunno, but those are also stale meta at this point.

I'm sure there are similarities between this and that BoP game we finished recently, but that setup inspires unique play by design
103-11 0-2
Lavender
Lavender
Goon
Lavender
Goon
Goon

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:56 am

Post by Lavender »

In post 198, Ryno56 wrote:*ahem*

RYNO'S MASTER PLAN:

My aim was to push a scum into frustration by accusing them with little/no reason. Lavender was the victim, and I think it payed off. They very quickly became fixated on WHY I was reading them as scum, which comes across to me as the 'scum newbie annoyed they got caught out early in the game' and they wanted to know if I genuinely was reading them (and if so, HOW ON EARTH) or the self-assuring knowledge that I was bullshitting. All of which seems like scum-thinking to me. Plus the lynch votes probably made them nervous/backed into a corner. There's a tendency to run away with worry - 'oh no, i'm suspected from the start, i'm going to get lynched'. A townie would be much more focussed on making their own reads. See the following...

'Ryno, My eager to please thing you have of me, is it because of my answering questions?'

'Can you tell me what made you think that of me?'

'Ok, but can you to tell me where you get this feeling from?'

'That's quite bold, can you tell me where I have been scummy?'

'Well I really want to ask why Ryno has any big evidence for voting me and such. But they seem very inclined not to give that information.'

'So why say, let others read their take and show everyone else, and not just let yourself reveal your read?

I hereby rest my case against Lavender. Although, I would suggest that with only 2 scum, we don't need to lynch until F5.

Therefore, UNVOTE: Lavender
"A townie would be much more focussed on making their own reads."
Sure, I suppose so right? But obviously a townie will also ask why they are being accused for little to nothing. Of course I would be confused why somebody just suddenly says I'm scummy. Since you have finally revealed the plan, it seems you were actually trying to Scum-hunt though.
It is rather different to anything I have seen but it is pretty interesting. Right now to me, you are null atm.
If you can provide more content it might get to town-lean. (such as other reads)
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Post by brassherald »

Votecount 1.06
Lavender (2) ~
godmid (2) ~
Shoshin (1) ~

PvtUrist (1) ~

Not Voting (3)~
Lavender, DENMON,

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Mod Notes

The day will end in (expired on 2019-04-22 05:45:00)
Last edited by brassherald on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Post by the worst »

brass your link to my vote is broken

I wish I was MeMe ):

Fixed it
DENMON
DENMON
Townie
DENMON
Townie
Townie

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Post by DENMON »

Godmid is on my mind lately though because of his reaction to u r a person 2 calling him red. I feel it to have a bit of a not friendly mood. Plus he used the vote on him to attack the people calling him red, which I think is a strange thing to do right now. It could be a tactic to remove some attention on him.

I also find the worst's reaction as a bit odd. Phrases such as "if I was scum" or "I'm bad at alienating people" seem like common phrases that reds may use to seem greenish in their posts. He also said that he will read the post later, then proceeded to talk about the post 7 minutes later. Very odd, hmmm O.o

I think one of these two may be red

Also does anyone here actually use the color terms? Green or red
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Post by the worst »

It's not all that common here but it's certainly a thing.

Yup, I was gonna read it after my Slay the Spire run if I was in the mood. then lost the run in the next room. :P your point being?
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Here are town reads;

PvtUrist - Sexy Town

Spoiler:
no explanations needed

Teh Wus - Town

Spoiler:
not treestump express

Lavender - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Godmid - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Urap - Probably Town

Spoiler:
hot lad

ShoSho - Probably town

Spoiler:
feels mixed, not concern for D1

DENMON - Probably town

Spoiler:
seems genuine
Marcus325
Marcus325
Townie
Marcus325
Townie
Townie

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Post by Marcus325 »

In post 247, PvtUrist wrote:Here are town reads;

PvtUrist - Sexy Town

Spoiler:
no explanations needed

Teh Wus - Town

Spoiler:
not treestump express

Lavender - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Those are some very -deep- reads care to go into a bit more detail?

Godmid - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Urap - Probably Town

Spoiler:
hot lad

ShoSho - Probably town

Spoiler:

DENMON - Probably town

Spoiler:
seems genuine
Marcus325
Marcus325
Townie
Marcus325
Townie
Townie

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Post by Marcus325 »

In post 247, PvtUrist wrote:Here are town reads;

PvtUrist - Sexy Town

Spoiler:
no explanations needed

Teh Wus - Town

Spoiler:
not treestump express

Lavender - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Godmid - Town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Urap - Probably Town

Spoiler:
hot lad

ShoSho - Probably town

Spoiler:

DENMON - Probably town

Spoiler:
seems genuine

Those are some very -deep- reads care to go into a bit more detail?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”