Tchill13
Tchill13
Survivor
Tchill13
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2825 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 am

Post by Tchill13 »

In post 2821, northsidegal wrote:is town's winrate so low?
It's lower than it should be based on what I've seen from my time here. Just dumb practices over and over again.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2826 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 am

Post by Jingle »

Anecdotally I’d say it’s lower than it was 4/6 years ago, although I haven’t done a real study. I also don’t think it’s related to individual skill but rather mean skill. In the before times, the long long ago, when dinosaurs walked the earth and magma crosses the surface, nightkills tended to be more role based and less player strength based as well.
This is a Parachute.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2827 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I mean, thinking about this. In a way 2 investigation roles doesn't seem like a whole lot b/c town
DOES
need the investigation power.
Had one investigation role die early, especially the cop, town would have very little invest power. I can also see the "giving scum a roleblocker AND a rolecop (the ability to find said invest prs) gives scum too much power. Maybe this only looks town sided b/c scum didn't kill a single clear or invest pr. Maybe this setup (and mafia in general) is just soo swingy.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2828 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Just because you win all your town games doesn't mean everyone does, gosh
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2829 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2827, Nero Cain wrote:I mean, thinking about this. In a way 2 investigation roles doesn't seem like a whole lot b/c town
DOES
need the investigation power.
Had one investigation role die early, especially the cop, town would have very little invest power. I can also see the "giving scum a roleblocker AND a rolecop (the ability to find said invest prs) gives scum too much power. Maybe this only looks town sided b/c scum didn't kill a single clear or invest pr. Maybe this setup (and mafia in general) is just soo swingy.
Eh.

First of all, the neighbor was never going to get nightkilled, nor rolecopped, because the miller claim D1 means they're a terrible target for all night actions, both scum and town.

Looking at the PRs, there's 2 that are just never lynchable (cop and loyal JK). Ascetic throws just as much of a wrench into things for scum as for town.

Taking a serious look at the setup, I do think it should have been rolecop -> roleblocker.

As far as why town won this? Yeah, definitely the N1 Axe-kill. As bad an idea as the cop claim was it worked out well for town this game.
This is a Parachute.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #2830 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Yeah had scum not killed Axe N1 he would've been a quick D2 mislynch.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2831 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2828, RadiantCowbells wrote:
Just because you win all your town games doesn't mean everyone does, gosh
Do you not win all of nsg's towngames? :thonk:
This is a Parachute.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2832 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:11 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2758, Vorkuta wrote:Really... "thoughtprovoking" game and interesting setup
Hi this was BNL's setup and I reviewed it!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2833 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:13 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2768, RadiantCowbells wrote:i think it's a lot less townsided than it appears to be but still townsided. definitely within standal normal range
Standard normal range is "50%, give or take 10%"--so a setup that is 60-40 town-scum is in fact within the bounds of Normalcy.

I'd rate this setup somewhere in that 50-60% range, soyeah. Within the balance range. Maybe not perfectly balanced, but it is not 60+% townsided.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2834 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am

Post by mastina »

Btw this was what I said on the original setup:
In post 6, mastina wrote:Basically, loyal neighborizer is a cop; odd night gunsmith is a second cop. Town has sufficient investigative power to get a boost, but they're vulnerable--the jailkeeper can save their lives, but causes their investigatives to fail. Because the mafia have almost free reign over who to kill, the strong investigative power is something that they don't have to worry too much about, especially since there's heavy room for the town to assume their role failed for reasons other than hitting scum, and/or for scum to fakeclaim.

If the town roles live for long, they gain an advantage, but this is countered by how if they are taken out early (and there's little preventing this), the scum gain a huge advantage.

So while there's swing based around how long the strong investigatives live, the swing is balanced equally between which directions it can swing. Good townplay will reward the town heavily; good scumplay will reward the scum heavily.
The changes since then? The scum gained a Rolecop; the gunsmith became a cop; the odd-night was shifted from being on the cop to onto the loyal neighborizer; the bulletproof became ascetic.
In post 9, mastina wrote:
In post 8, BNL wrote:On second thoughts I am afraid this is may be too townsided, because I feel the loyal neighbouriser recruiting any town PR, even the BP, will create too much synergy
I wouldn't remove much from the town. You can probably safely drop the BP (I almost recommended it initially before changing my mind), but I wouldn't recommend heavily nerfing town/buffing scum here.
I'd have still passed it without the BP present, and thought of it--my reasoning was,
In post 12, mastina wrote:I initially thought it might be a bit much, in part due to the reason you mentioned, of it being cop cleared. I ultimately ruled that it being shot putting the game on evens meant that it wouldn't make much difference; for the town to gain a lynch, TWO kills need to be stopped, and that is something that while possible, is unlikely.
The change of it to ascetic helped fix that, too.
In post 26, mastina wrote:If you are still worried, drop the bp, it'd still be passable albeit I'd think scum would be more likely the victors by even a small margin, but I still recommend against radical redesigns. You don't want to lose the core of the setup.
This is what I said when the setup was near-finished, and I stand by that statement. The BP dropped would've been passable, but I'd rate it as ~52.5-47.5 scum-town, in comparison to this setup with the BP being probably somewhere roughly inverse to that.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2835 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:29 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2829, Jingle wrote:Taking a serious look at the setup, I do think it should have been rolecop -> roleblocker.
I pointed out the problem with that suggestion (BNL did make it!) in the review:
Two town loyal roles, versus a scum roleblocker = recipe for absolute utter scum stomp.

Because what happens when a town loyal role is roleblocked? They think that they targeted scum.
Plus, roleblocker + nightkill = two methods of stopping power roles.

Rolecop + nightkill = two methods of
finding
power roles per night, but once found, a PR still needs to be nightkilled.
Rolecop + nightkill is thus absurdly stronger because stopping power roles > finding power roles in terms of scum controlling the game.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #2836 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Oh I'm sad that vork isn't actually a doctor :(
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Vorkuta
Vorkuta
Jack of All Trades
Vorkuta
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2837 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Post by Vorkuta »

I suck at PRs :(
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2838 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 2835, mastina wrote:Two town loyal roles, versus a scum roleblocker = recipe for absolute utter scum stomp.
Disagree.

Roleblocker doesn't interact unfavorably with the loyal JK. It probably doesn't give a false guilty (you only know you've failed if your target provably acted (an investigative) or they died. If your target dies, you now have confirmation that you were roleblocked.

Neighbor was an unlikely RB target at best given the miller claim.

Cop also has the ability to confirm the presence of blocking roles.

I feel like the roflstomp of scum roleblocking a town role requires town shitting the bed metaphorically on not playing around a role that can reasonably be expected given double investigatives.
This is a Parachute.
Tchill13
Tchill13
Survivor
Tchill13
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2839 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Post by Tchill13 »

Basically (I'll only say this once because I've had this discussion with mastina b4) setup mods expect town PR's to play as poor as possible and they expect scum PR's to play excellent which allows them to justify over powered town setups. Now mastina may disagree but that's fine and I respect her opinion.
Tchill13
Tchill13
Survivor
Tchill13
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2840 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Post by Tchill13 »

And that thought process comes from trying to clean up awful town practices found on a regular basis. Such as solo gambits.
Tchill13
Tchill13
Survivor
Tchill13
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2841 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Post by Tchill13 »

It's really an easy path to follow. Selfish town player wants to look cool. Gets lucky one of 5 times. Other players follow his lead because they'd like to look cool. Town play on site dips dramatically due to ego and refusal to work with others. Set up mods have to justify town sided setups.

1 plus 1 equals 2.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #2842 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Post by Inferno390 »

In post 2841, Tchill13 wrote:It's really an easy path to follow. Selfish town player wants to look cool. Gets lucky one of 5 times. Other players follow his lead because they'd like to look cool. Town play on site dips dramatically due to ego and refusal to work with others. Set up mods have to justify town sided setups.

1 plus 1 equals 2.
QFT
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #2843 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

I've won all my games where I fakeclaimed as town though.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Vorkuta
Vorkuta
Jack of All Trades
Vorkuta
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2844 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Post by Vorkuta »

Teach me your ways
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #2845 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

it's funny that people are blaming a really strong town player for bad town play
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #2846 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 2844, Vorkuta wrote:Teach me your ways
Figure out the setup before scum
Think of a possible role that could fuck with scum's night actions
Claim
Laugh at them after they fuck up their night actions
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Tchill13
Tchill13
Survivor
Tchill13
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2847 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Post by Tchill13 »

Not blaming you. Blaming the ppl that enable you. You're not as good as town as you are scum and you're actually proud of it.

Yeah you probably have better reads than me on a regular basis. You no longer have to manipulate others on your main because of your name.

I bet you have a much harder time playing alt slots.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #2848 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:28 pm

the opposite is true. i'm unstoppable on alts because i'm not held to weird double standards. i'm plenty persuasive without relying on name recognition.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2849 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 2839, Tchill13 wrote:setup mods expect town PR's to play as poor as possible and they expect scum PR's to play excellent
Yeah, this is setup balance 101. The first step is to look at what happens if town shits the bed and scum plays amazing. The second step is to look at what happens if town plays amazing and scum shit the bed.

That has nothing to do with the site meta of towns not doing well.

As far as the complaint of towns failing to synergize, this was a REALLY good example of that. RC/Vork/JP all correctly identified each other. I correctly identified Egix. RC worked with me until we came to the point where our paranoia on each other disappeared. Scum woke up in an unwinnable position BECAUSE town managed to work together.

And really, if you're mad enough to blacklist over the day one wagon, maybe examine why you thought an ascetic claim was enough to slip the noose in the first place.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”