Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4600 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Post by Zulfy »

In post 4596, chamber wrote:Basically everything made no sense outside of maybe Arya's arc.
How many times did Arya survive collapsing buildings and fire tho? It was ludicrous.

Cleganebowl was okay.
no investigation no right to speak
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4601 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

cleganebowl was the only bright spot in an otherwise shitty episode

the fact these last two episodes have effectively undone 7 years of character development has me unbelievably salty

dany's turn was so fucking wild and out of nowhere.

it's just showing more and more that the writers wanted to rush this to wrap things up to move on to other projects. HBO wanted longer seasons and was willing to pay for it. Think how good a final season would be if we had actual time for things to breathe. spend a couple episodes with Hound/Arya. see Dany's slow descent into madness instead of it happening in the span of like 20 minutes. FUCK
green shirt thursdays
ZOR TESTER
ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #4602 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Post by ZOR TESTER »

i mean like the entire season, any individual element is fine in the sense that it works as almost a video game cutscene without context. but it's a very frustrating season (particularly post night-king) in context that barely makes sense and when it does it's only in the most annoying way.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4603 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i was honestly fine with arya killing the NK. i was. it wasn't awful. it made sense for her arc. that was contingent upon Jon actually being fucking relevant to the story and having some ties to the mythical bullshit they spent a million years building up. but in retrospect, it looks like we aren't getting that payoff. fuck azor ahai.

Jamie spent 7 seasons on a journey as a character. Then in E4 they just write it all away going "nah sorry I'm hateful too" and have him bite it holding Cersei in his arms.
fuck the valonqar.

Tyrion got unceremoniously lobotimized for the sake of the plot making a lick of sense. Tyrion, the guy who "drinks and knows things" and has spent the entire series being built up to be this underestimated genius strategist? nope. he just continually blunders his way through things, gets Varys killed, only to immediately realize "derp i was wrong for the 10th time"

Cersei, the best player of the game overall, is reduced to a mean bitch trope who smirks smugly like she has a plan. only..........SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN LOL SUBVERTING UR EXPECTATIONS LMAO. no secret wildfire weapon. all she had was the scorpions -- which, in E4, could snipe a dragon out of the air from miles away with only a handful of scorpions. but here, in E5, conveniently none of them can hit anything despite there being HUNDREDS of them. BUT MUH RED KEEP HAS NEVER FALLEN. ok. are we to believe cersei put *zero* alternative options in place?

the entire lannister family just completely castrated in one episode. fuck this show.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4604 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

imagine:

Tyrion is in the crypts. He finally lives up to his words of how he sees himself and recognizes that Sansa was one of the only people who was ever kind to him. He dies in the crypts, sacrificing himself for Sansa, and doesn't live to make nine million more mistakes despite being portrayed as one of the smartest people in the kingdom.

Jon in the Godswood, fulfilling his Azor Ahai prophecy, fighting the White Walkers to get to the NK. Looks like he's gonna get defeated... then Arya saves the day. Jon still technically fulfills the prophecy but we get the sweet surprise with Arya and manage to get her payoff for her character arc. Lead in to her going to King's Landing, not listening to the Hound, being there for Cleganebowl... Mountain kills her, Hound goes into a rage and spears the Mountain off the steps into the fires below.

E4, Dany is flying with the two dragons. Ballistas miss their mark, then finally an errant few bolts strike down a dragon. Dany flies in, evades the shots, and wipes out half of Euron's fleet in the process before banking away to lick her wounds. Instead, we got magic sniper ballista working last episode, then this episode literally they all become Stormtroopers.

Cersei has a plan. Rather than Dany going full batshit, she makes the mistake of going after Cersei in the Red Keep, igniting caches of wildfire beneath the city and sending it into a blaze. Dany sees the destruction and realizes she's fucked up big time. She didn't just "snap" because some fucking bells rang, she just let her desire for revenge get the best of her. Hell, let Cersei have Missandei hostage in the Red Keep and Missandei dies in the process. Dany goes nuts because she's killed one of her most beloved friends. Then she goes full Mad Queen. She didn't just light up the city for no reason.

Jamie leaves Brienne, not because he's "hateful", but because of a callback to "the things I do for love". He arrives, tries to help Cersei escape, they realize they're trapped. Cersei is scared. Doesn't want to die alone. "Jaime, don't let me die alone." Jaime, seeing that there's no escape, mercy kills Cersei to let her die in his arms instead of alone. Leaving Jaime to die alone by being suffocated/buried alive. And no goddamn stupid fucking Euron fight scene.

With just a few minor tweaks even, this season could've been a lot less frustrating.
green shirt thursdays
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4605 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by Krazy »

I hit 9 "what" remarks before I stopped saying it and just felt sick
vote conspiracy
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4606 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Post by Krazy »

all other things aside, Qyburn's death is the best thing in this entire series
vote conspiracy
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4607 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Post by Claus »

I welcome Reck to the booksnob club with open arms!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4608 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Post by Faraday »

Just listen to Varys guys :]
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4609 (ISO) » Sun May 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Post by Krazy »

Varys's failed assassination attempt in season 1 is what leads drogo to supporting an invasion back in season 1.... while he was also secretly supporting viserys... Some of his choices are also ??? Throughout the series
vote conspiracy
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #4610 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 am

Post by the worst »

In post 4606, Krazy wrote:all other things aside, Qyburn's death is the best thing in this entire series
yes

also booksnob for life

but also
Spoiler: unpopular opinion
i like the season
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #4611 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 am

Post by FakeGod »

I somewhat recently started watching this series and I got caught up about 3 weeks ago. My thoughts were that show had some good premise, but sadly, it had the worst delivery.

Season 1 was nice. I think it's even watchable until season 4 ep 1. I fast-forwarded most of season 6 and wiki'd season 7. I am still watching season 8 out of completion but every episode of this season has been worse than the one before it. At this point, I can only hope that everything is redeemed when George R R Martin comes on stage with an AR-15 while driving a golf cart and guns everyone down before pulling his pants down and shitting on the iron throne.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Send me a PM if you want to replace in!
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4612 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 am

Post by AniX »

In post 4606, Krazy wrote:all other things aside, Qyburn's death is the best thing in this entire series
I agree, but not for the reasons you likely do but because it finally establishs Qyburn and Cersei as the purest relationship in the 7 Kingdoms. They have NO other ties but what they made for themselves: They aren't related, they aren't in love and neither are attracted to each other, they aren't even connected by class. She is a daughter of a high lord, wife to a king, mother to kings, and most importantly Queen in her own right. He is a defrocked maester who doesn't even have a last name. Yet he was consistently loyal to her, even when she was at her lowest and even when she had nothing to offer: He raced to put a cloak on her after her walk of shame, he stood by her when it looked like she would be executed by the High Sparrow, and he extended his hand when their world was literally crumbling. Many people were jerking themselves off to the notion he was this grand manipulator who stuck around because he needed a patron for his experiments and would betray her once he no longer benefitted. Yet here he stuck around. He could have fled (WITH his zombie) carrying all the experiments Zomountain could carry and would have survived to scheme another day. Nobody would have even judged him. Instead he stuck around in a castle being destroyed around him just to try and keep his friend, his queen, safe.

Even his last moments he made a show of loyalty, where this 5'5", 100 pounds wet, soft spoken hunched-over elderly man gets in the face of a 7'0" tall zombie muscle monstrosity just because he was worried Cersei was going to get hurt otherwise. I see many people trying to play it as an arrogant Frankenstein getting destroyed by his creation. But Qyburn is humble to a fault. He never brags, when someone compliments him he deflects, he never loses his temper or even raises his voice. Yet so many people have decided that he, who was only in a falling castle out of love, decided the apocalypse with a murderer standing in front of them was the perfect time to have a dick measuring contest with the Mountain? No, he went out exactly as he came in despite everyone doubting him: Loyal to Cersei and acting to protect her, despite literally everyone expecting otherwise.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4613 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 2:08 am

Post by AniX »

He died a hero out of the pure love of trust and admiration.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4614 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 2:30 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 4603, xRECKONERx wrote:i was honestly fine with arya killing the NK. i was. it wasn't awful. it made sense for her arc. that was contingent upon Jon actually being fucking relevant to the story and having some ties to the mythical bullshit they spent a million years building up. but in retrospect, it looks like we aren't getting that payoff. fuck azor ahai.

Jamie spent 7 seasons on a journey as a character. Then in E4 they just write it all away going "nah sorry I'm hateful too" and have him bite it holding Cersei in his arms.
fuck the valonqar.

Tyrion got unceremoniously lobotimized for the sake of the plot making a lick of sense. Tyrion, the guy who "drinks and knows things" and has spent the entire series being built up to be this underestimated genius strategist? nope. he just continually blunders his way through things, gets Varys killed, only to immediately realize "derp i was wrong for the 10th time"

Cersei, the best player of the game overall, is reduced to a mean bitch trope who smirks smugly like she has a plan. only..........SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN LOL SUBVERTING UR EXPECTATIONS LMAO. no secret wildfire weapon. all she had was the scorpions -- which, in E4, could snipe a dragon out of the air from miles away with only a handful of scorpions. but here, in E5, conveniently none of them can hit anything despite there being HUNDREDS of them. BUT MUH RED KEEP HAS NEVER FALLEN. ok. are we to believe cersei put *zero* alternative options in place?

the entire lannister family just completely castrated in one episode. fuck this show.
this is a good summation of fuck ups the show did with this episode.
to beat the dead horse more:

I could beat the Jamie drum a million times here cause Jamie is one of my favorite characters and he gets unwritten and replaced with someone else in last two episodes. He had an arc, he developed into a more honorable character, then out of nowhere "nope just gonna go back to cersei because I love her", and not only that. They UNDID his best redeeming quality ever by having him spit out the line "I never cared for the common folk much at all anyway"...Really!?!?!? So you killed the mad king for shits and giggles then? You could have just not had that, and if you wanted to have him die in cerseis arms, then you could do that without rewriting every last thing about his character to make this new character you invented.

Tryion omg. They should have just killed him off during the long night, I swear to god he does nothing good for the show anymore and I hate the continual stupidity they make him do just to make everything in the show seem like it not stupid. He is supposed to know his family right? And he makes another dumb plan to have Jamie go in and stop Cersei like that was going to work. Every scene with him now is just like a sad reminder that they ruined a fun smart character. I wouldn't have been even sad if Danny killed him along with Varys.

I never liked Danny as a character. But I also hate what they are doing with character as well. As someone who didn't even enjoy her character, we were always told, again TOLD. By several people that she could be a mad king. The show runners probably think "we foreshadowed this a bunch guys", the problem with this "FORESHADOW" is we never see it with HER. Her character is never shown to be anything like the mad king. She is capable of cruelty but it was always targeted against people that you were rooting against. Her character doesn't express a change as much as the show just decided she changed without showing us a progression to that change. Again this has to build, you can't just have everyone around her say "she is the mad king" and have us believe it. She needs to be doing things by her actions that show it to us. Not just have these power issues with her council or the little freakout she had when she realized "ohh they love jon but not me".
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4615 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 2:33 am

Post by Firebringer »

I don't know if I even want to watch the last episode. This was the biggest dumpster fire I had ever seen of an episode. Not even cleganebowl made a redeeming portion for me.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4616 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 am

Post by Faraday »

Look on the bright side. It's only 6 episodes :)
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4617 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 4609, Krazy wrote:Varys's failed assassination attempt in season 1 is what leads drogo to supporting an invasion back in season 1.... while he was also secretly supporting viserys... Some of his choices are also ??? Throughout the series
Well yeah, his book motivation makes more sense, no blackfyres in the show so whatever. I'm just saying. Bad choice by tyrion. But then he's made bad choices since like season 4? 5?
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4618 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 am

Post by DeathNote »

I liked it.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4619 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 5:39 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Tyrion shouldn't have died in the battle of Winterfell. He should have died at the end of episode 4.

Cersi should have a plan with wildfire for when the walls were falling. I was expecting to see a twist in her war style.

I always saw this evil side of dany. It was Always with her since season 1. She got his brother killed and whatever else she did was for survival and making people love her. And as soon as that was gotten from her she lost it. Also, it was hinted all over the show. A Lot of characters talked about it. It was my guess in the first place that the two villains of the show are night king and dany (song of ice and fire) and I'm sure that's the same in Martin's book.

The issue here with the movie is that she didn't lose her mind "right". She totally knew what she was doing and that was not something she would have done. It was not filmed well to make us feel "Why" she got to do that.

I HATED what they did with Jaime and Cersei. It's total bullshit cause it makes absolutely no sense in any way.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4620 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 am

Post by Krazy »

I mean there were wildfire explosions throughout the city... was the implication there that Cersei was planning to destroy the city anyway but wanted Dany's army inside while it was happening?

There are just random explosions of green all throughout the smoldering city. Arguably, Dany simply called Cersei's bluff, and the city was dead before the fight even started.
vote conspiracy
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #4621 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Wildfire is a highly flammable liquid that can be set off by the slightest spark. Once it starts burning its flames are a bright green color. The flame burns until all of the wildfire is gone.

The first time we see wildfire in Game of Thrones was all the way back in season 2. When King’s Landing faced a seemingly unstoppable assault from the navy of Stannis Baratheon, Tyrion — then Hand to King Joffrey — ordered the alchemists of King’s Landing to make up a massive batch of wildfire that could be spread through Blackwater Bay and set on fire. The ships in the Blackwater burn and King’s Landing is saved.

The next time wildfire made an appearance was in the final episode of season 6, when Cersei used it to blow up the Great Sept of Baelor with all of her greatest political enemies trapped inside.

Cersei’s destruction of King’s Landing’s most holy buildings also served as a mirror to a plot that we only caught glimpses of in the show: Aerys II Targargyen, the Mad King’s plot to blow up the city. Like Cersei, Aerys felt trapped by Robert Baratheon’s encroaching army and when he knew he had lost to the rebels, he ordered that the city be blown up with wildfire, but Jaime Lannister killed him before the order could leave the room, saving the city.

Perhaps the largest question about wildfire this time around is whether it was intentional or not. It’s hard not to see the parallels in Cersei’s situation in “The Bells,” and the one she faced back in season 6. Once again, she’s more or less trapped in the Red Keep, and she knows that the enemy, this time Daenerys, has the upper hand. It’s not hard to image that Cersei would want the city to go up in smoke when Dany invaded, but she probably didn’t expect Dany to do so much of the work for her by having Drogon strafe the streets with fire as well.

Ultimately though, whether the wildfire was set up by Cersei, or the explosions were simply pots left over from some other time, it was Dany that destroyed King’s Landing and the people inside — but the wildfire certainly didn’t help.

Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4622 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:43 am

Post by Krazy »

Where's that from?
vote conspiracy
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #4623 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:44 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4624 (ISO) » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am

Post by Krazy »

Oh yeah I mean Dany chose to take the city. I'm just saying there's no way she could have taken the city and kept the people alive. The city was going up one way or the other, Dany just did it without also losing her army in the process. But yes, the only way to keep the city alive was to not take it, which didn't jive with her character arc.
vote conspiracy

Return to “General Discussion”