Newbie 1934: Tundra (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am

Post by Ausuka »

Cinnamon, Vanilla Townie, survives and wins!
Eggs, Vanilla Townie, survives and wins!
teacher, Vanilla Townie, survives and wins!

Voted, Town Cop, survives and wins!

Menalque, Vanilla Townie, wins posthumously!
Flavour Leaf, Vanilla Townie, wins posthumously!
Irrelephant11, Vanilla Townie, wins posthumously!

The town has won Newbie 1934! Congratulations!
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am

Post by Ausuka »

No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Yay good game everyone!

This was a great playerlist and all you newbies are awesome! I’ll provide more thoughts later maybe
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

Post by Pine »

I feel good about almost weaseling out of that D1 lynch, and respect for you guys sticking to the plan. This was pretty unwinnable for scum after that.

Well played Town!
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Goon
Cinnamon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am

Post by Cinnamon »

If anyone has thoughts on my play I'd appreciate it! Good game everyone
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yay
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 am

Post by Pine »

In post 1079, Cinnamon wrote:If anyone has thoughts on my play I'd appreciate it! Good game everyone
Trust your gut. You waffled a bit.

There’s merit to cautious skepticism of what your senses are telling you, but in the end you’ve got to step back and trust yourself.

Playing Town is a bit like those 3-D visual puzzles. Step back, let your eyes go out of focus, and see the bigger picture.

You’re off to a fine start.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Post by teacher »

Cinnamon - I thought you played quite a strong game. One issue with how you play, that can work to your advantage but will get you suspected, is that you are guarded. I see you thinking through posts. Editing them. Worried about how they might be perceived Not just typing and sending. I think you could towntell more just by flowing.

The second piece of advice is to be more confident about your own reads. I felt like you got pushed by others views. Take others views into account, sure. But use them to adjust your confidence levels in your own views, rather than to chance what yours are.

This was truly a fun civil game. Thank you all.

@Pine, now that its not game-relevant, do you really think posting-flakes are the same as forgot-about-site flakes?
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Post by teacher »

Also, since it should be said in a newb, NEVER hammer yourself as town.

Yes, Flavor, I did think you were scummiest and the best lynch. But whatever "surface-level" you think Im playing on, youll note I pushed scum while you pushed town.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 1082, teacher wrote:Cinnamon - I thought you played quite a strong game. One issue with how you play, that can work to your advantage but will get you suspected, is that you are guarded. I see you thinking through posts. Editing them. Worried about how they might be perceived Not just typing and sending. I think you could towntell more just by flowing.

The second piece of advice is to be more confident about your own reads. I felt like you got pushed by others views. Take others views into account, sure. But use them to adjust your confidence levels in your own views, rather than to chance what yours are.

This was truly a fun civil game. Thank you all.

@Pine, now that its not game-relevant, do you really think posting-flakes are the same as forgot-about-site flakes?
Flaking for whatever reason is probably never really AI. You're conflating flaking and lurking; lurking is when you stick around and don't post. Flaking is when something outside the game, either loss of interest or forgetfulness or something else, disrupts your presence completely. Out of game factors = NAI. Cherry-picked and massaged statistics from a small sample set don't prove your point.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Post by Eggs »

Thanks folks and thanks Asuka. Interesting game.
Voted
Voted
Goon
Voted
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Post by Voted »

Why did you kill Irrelephant and not me N2?
Heh, I am glad that all my strongest townreads (SEs) were correct.
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 am

Post by Eggs »

I'm sorry for being boneheaded day 2 FL, I was of the opinion that you were as likely as Baezu to be scum, but also worried that you pride yourself on your ability to talk your way out of lynches. And at that point I can't really have a sensible conversation because I think it is likely I would be unable to differentiate town you and scum you trying to get out of a lynch.

Plus I had a lynch pool of two point five and that townread of Baezu had me stumped on where else to go.
Eggs
Eggs
Goon
Eggs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 am

Post by Eggs »

Thanks to your signature for the warning not to trust!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Cinnamon - You're great! I agree with teacher's analysis that your thoughts and words read as though you've really thought them through - that sorta cuts against site meta for towniness, which is part of why I scumread you, but it also made your analysis really clear and useful! Hopefully I won't tunnel you next time, because I really enjoyed playing with you once I started reading you accurately.
Voted - your gambits were more useful in getting me to townread you than in accomplishing what the gambits were for, I think. But keep trying things out! I liked the pressure to get Pine to claim especially. - the only thing here is I was pretty sure you were TPR based on the fact that a vt wouldn't know which of Pine's claims would be a lie. You got away with it, here, though. Nice.
Menalque - Way to town. it. up. You were obviously town, mostly due to your deep level of thought. Good luck replicating that as scum later! :lol:
Eggs - Strong analysis, clear reads, the ability to communicate well? You're a threat to any scumteam.

Uncle Bob and navneet - I hope you two return! You both had strong scum entrances and I definitely wouldn't have scumread you so strongly if you had just... kept playing!

teacher - the best town partner, as always <3
Flavor - Sorry I couldn't shout down your mislynch sooner! In my defense I didn't think you'd self vote.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

If y'all liked the small playerlist, but want a wide variety of setups - check out the Micro Queue, where all games are 9 players or less! Right now skygazer's Black Site is in signups - NOTE: It uses the Geriatric Ruleset, which limits how often you are allowed post, to allow for a slower game that is easier to keep up with.
It just so happens there's also a 9-player game in signups in the Normal Queue, where the setups are hidden but follow Official Normal Setup Guidelines. Sign up soon, it's filling fast!
And what a coincidence, there's a 9-player game in the Open Queue, where all setups are public information. Grey Flag Nightless makes small changes to some basic rules of mafia, and there are no power roles.

You are not required to have any number of finished games to join these or other queues, so check them out! If you want to play another game with me, the one game I'm in signups for is Schadd's Mystery Box of Silver 5, a large theme game with a heavy third party (alignments other than town or mafia) element. Schadd is notorious for making setups that are impossible to predict and that lead to gameplay that is equally unpredictable. It's a HUGE jump from the newbie queue, but it's never too early to get absolutely in over your head :lol:
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Post by Menalque »

@baezu, why the NK on me N1? I appreciate that I was being townread, but I also wasn’t on you at all. Was it to throw suspicion on FL to get a mislynch D2?

@irrelephant, thanks! I’m looking forward to trying, but also a bit apprehensive

And, sadly, that schadd game does have an experience requirement, otherwise I’d be signing up :(

@all you were a really fun group to play with, and I hope to see you in games again!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 1091, Menalque wrote:And, sadly, that schadd game does have an experience requirement, otherwise I’d be signing up
Whoops! true. I'm sure we'll run into each other again though :]
ClearlyClarity
ClearlyClarity
Mafia Scum
ClearlyClarity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 am

Post by ClearlyClarity »

(Psst, that Normal game is run by yours truly who will love you forever if you signed up <3)
Call me whatever you want...
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Lol, my lynch day 2 was best once I realized Voted was town.

I town hunt generally early games.

Baezu messages me post game saying she knew I knew she was scum, but I couldn’t turn or I’d get lynched. She felt bad for abusing me, haha.

I also didn’t want the day to go longer because I didn’t want goted to get found out, and Irrelephant was the obvious night kill at that time, so he had to get killed.

I didn’t want others to have to waffle against me either, and once I correctly town read Teacher as just tunneling, me dying only lead to scum getting lynched later.

Eggs, no worries. Baezu positioned Day 1 for that to happen. I knew something was off in Day 1, and I didn’t think Baezu would play the way she did, which is why she apologized to me.

I had Uncle Bob real early on as scum, and didn’t town read until baezu came in, which was exactly the point of her play. That’s why she apologized, but obviously she didn’t have to. She made the correct play in that sense. Unfortunately Pine just went down
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Oh yeah, never hammer yourself!

There are rarely situations that you would want to. I get mislynched about once a year, sometimes more, so this was kind of funny. But yeah, I needed the day to end specifically so voted didn’t get outed as PR, because Irrelephant was he obvious night kill at the time. I hope that makes sense.

I also Mod A LOT of games on this site, I generally run games in the Large Theme Queue, and they’re pretty wild and colorful, but if you ever want a normal ish game that’s going to be highkey actually pretty wild, check out the BooneyToonz games. I’d love to have any of you in em. :) (I mod on an account called Boonskiies.)
Voted
Voted
Goon
Voted
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1096 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am

Post by Voted »

I would have claimed tracker, not cop if I were to claim D2. Since there were 2 goons, I wouldn't get killed anyway.
Voted
Voted
Goon
Voted
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1097 (ISO) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

Post by Voted »

In post 1090, Irrelephant11 wrote:If y'all liked the small playerlist, but want a wide variety of setups - check out the Micro Queue, where all games are 9 players or less! Right now skygazer's Black Site is in signups - NOTE: It uses the Geriatric Ruleset, which limits how often you are allowed post, to allow for a slower game that is easier to keep up with.
It just so happens there's also a 9-player game in signups in the Normal Queue, where the setups are hidden but follow Official Normal Setup Guidelines. Sign up soon, it's filling fast!
And what a coincidence, there's a 9-player game in the Open Queue, where all setups are public information. Grey Flag Nightless makes small changes to some basic rules of mafia, and there are no power roles.

You are not required to have any number of finished games to join these or other queues, so check them out! If you want to play another game with me, the one game I'm in signups for is Schadd's Mystery Box of Silver 5, a large theme game with a heavy third party (alignments other than town or mafia) element. Schadd is notorious for making setups that are impossible to predict and that lead to gameplay that is equally unpredictable. It's a HUGE jump from the newbie queue, but it's never too early to get absolutely in over your head :lol:
Must play games with Irrelephant for this kind of posts. Must.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1098 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 am

Post by Pine »

In post 1096, Voted wrote:I would have claimed tracker, not cop if I were to claim D2. Since there were 2 goons, I wouldn't get killed anyway.
Fakeclaiming as Town is rarely a good idea, especially in an Open setup. I respect the desire to employ anti-WIFOM, but in an Open Newbie it had a lot more potential to backfire.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Voted
Voted
Goon
Voted
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1099 (ISO) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Post by Voted »

Claiming cop has "potential" of perma RB/ instant nightkill.
Tracker claim at least gives 1 night of results.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”