SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #600 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am

Post by SpyreX »

Look at the timings of the votes. Flay voted towards the end of the wagon, and hence, would not have missed the kill, except as a gambit. OGML on the other hand, could easily have been caught off guard.
You're now saying OGML bussed his partner out of the gate and yet, somehow, didn't think to send in a kill request?
Please, dont do what you usually do, and cast a half-baked vote that didnt have alot of thought. I actually expect you to LEARN from all the times you get me killed and you're wrong. Where's the meta analysis?? Christ, where's the thread reading?!
And you're telling him to meta with the gamblers fallacy instead of looking at how the last 2 days have went down?

This is really looking like flailing before the noose comes up.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #601 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 am

Post by Battle Mage »

SpyreX wrote:
Look at the timings of the votes. Flay voted towards the end of the wagon, and hence, would not have missed the kill, except as a gambit. OGML on the other hand, could easily have been caught off guard.
You're now saying OGML bussed his partner out of the gate and yet, somehow, didn't think to send in a kill request?
evidently the wagon moved faster than he anticipated.
Please, dont do what you usually do, and cast a half-baked vote that didnt have alot of thought. I actually expect you to LEARN from all the times you get me killed and you're wrong. Where's the meta analysis?? Christ, where's the thread reading?!
And you're telling him to meta with the gamblers fallacy instead of looking at how the last 2 days have went down?

This is really looking like flailing before the noose comes up.
if you knew Farside like i do... lol

Im gonna have to go in a sec. submitting my night choice now.

Night,

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #602 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

Who is more likely to 1) be scum on the xyzzyscum wagon and 2) have missed sending in a nightkill.

Is it A. OhGodMyLife, who was the most active person in the thread on day one and who pushed the xyzzy wagon from start to finish
Or is it B. Flameaxe, who's only day one activity was to vote xyzzy because he always does so in scumchat, and who later flaked out entirely and was replaced by BM.

We report, you decide!
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #603 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 am

Post by SpyreX »

As an aside, what is scumchat? I'm still mega-new and that one I dont know.

I haven't even thought to look at Flameaxe's play before the replacement, but I might go ahead and do that
Show

Proud member of BaM
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #604 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:19 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I didn't see much about Flame -

He votes zz but says he didn't read before his vote (yet left it there). That, easily, could be playing both sides of the fence if he was scum.

Aside from that, just one-half of a megapost that, honestly, didn't even really get the feel of the game to that point. It seems like (and I am probably clouded some because BM is mafia) it was an attempt to interject without actually taking a stance/saying anything of merit.

Soo.... yep, no real changes there.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #605 (ISO) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Post by Phoebus »

I just managed to get for a minute to apologise to you.
Unforeseen L/A - I don't have time to process this right now.
Locked for a bit.

Sorry!
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Post Post #606 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:47 am

Post by Johoohno »

Final vote count day 5
(6 players alive = 4 to lynch before deadline)

(3) Battle Mage (Spyrex, OhGodMyLife, farside22)
(2) SpyreX (Battle Mage, Mr Flay)

Not voting:
Jenter Brolincani, Mr. Flay, SpyreX

Deadline:
Tuesday 24 June 2:00 AM (GMT -5 according to forum clock)

The pack was divided once more and couldn’t come to a unanimous decision before the moon started calling for them (resulting in a deadline lynch). Battle Mage was carried to the lynching site, squirming like fish bait. However, this evening the pack could howl in triumph since the last human in the strike team was found.

Lynched: Battle Mage (
Bounty Hunter
a.k.a. mafia tracker)

In joyous relief the remaining pack members joined hand and celebrated their victory in a choir howl.

Soon to come: roles, night choices, mod questions. Feel free to post comments, critique or questions as you wish in the thread meanwhile.

Great game all (and I really would have liked to be here all the way – sorry about that)!

Thank you Phoebus
for jumping in as back up-mod.
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #607 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

LOL look at that, a mafia tracker after all.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #608 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Ok. time for explanations. What the fuck happened to my kill??? :(

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #609 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:00 am

Post by Johoohno »

Roles

Jenter Brolincani

You role: werewolf berserk

You are a frenzied killer, highly valued in the tribe. You’ve got two one shot-abilities:
1. Frenzied attack (a.k.a one shot vigilante): You can kill any other player during one night, just PM me and tell who you’ll be targeting (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008).
2. Rabid defence (a.k.a. one shot bullet proof): You will not die the first time someone tries to nightkill you (however, you won’t know when this rabid defence is used).

You win when all the threats against the werewolf pack has been eliminated.

Phoebus

You role: werewolf berserk

You are a frenzied killer, highly valued in the tribe. You’ve got two one shot-abilities:
1. Frenzied attack (a.k.a one shot vigilante): You can kill any other player during one night, just PM me and tell who you’ll be targeting (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008).
2. Rabid defence (a.k.a. one shot bullet proof): You will not die the first time someone tries to nightkill you (however, you won’t know when this rabid defence is used).

OhGodMyLife

You role: tracker

You are a tracker in the pack and that makes you good at following trails. During each game day you can follow a player around and see who, if any, that player visits. PM me a player name that you want to track (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008). During the night phase I will inform you if that player has visited/targeted any other player since last deadline.

Rogue Shenanigans

You role: tracker

You are a tracker in the pack and that makes you good at following trails. During each game day you can follow a player around and see who, if any, that player visits. PM me a player name that you want to track (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008). During the night phase I will inform you if that player has visited/targeted any other player since last deadline.

Nitro Styles
My Milked Eek

Your role: Sniffer (a.k.a. Cop)

You have a very sensitive nose and you can, by the scent, tell if a player is a werewolf or not. Each game day you can PM me a player name that you want to sniff (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008). During the night phase I will tell you the investigated player’s alignment (town or werewolf).

Grimmy

Your role: Hairless old timer (a.k.a. Miller)

You are one of the oldest werewolves in the pack. Unfortunately that means that you’ve lost a lot of your fur and is considered almost human by some. If there are investigating roles in the setup, you will come up as human to them.

killa seven

Your role: Werewolf (a.k.a. townie)

Not long after your pack had taken control over the village Wolventon these damn humans sent in some kind of undercover strike team to kill you all. Your only measure to get rid of them is to vote whom to lynch each day. It is a grim situation, but you are well aware of that being the only way for the village to stay in werewolf control.

farside22

Not long after your pack had taken control over the village Wolventon these damn humans sent in some kind of undercover strike team to kill you all. Your only measure to get rid of them is to vote whom to lynch each day. It is a grim situation, but you are well aware of that being the only way for the village to stay in werewolf control.

Korts
muffinhead

Mr. Flay

SpyreX

Flameaxe
Battle Mage

Your role: Bounty hunter (a.k.a. tracker)

You are in the human strike team together with
xyzzy
. The two of you may communicate privately whenever you like – no matter if it’s day or night – using this thread: Mafia 81: Human strike team. Before each day is ended (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008) you may PM me a player you want to night kill. Only one of you may do this, decide who will do it (you may change your mind as many times you like, I will only acknowledge the last correct sent in kill). Only the one performing the kill have to PM the nightkill to me.

Furthermore you are a skilled tracker. During each game day you can also follow a player around and see who, if any, that player visits. PM me a player name that you want to track (once again, make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008).
You cannot both track and do a nightkill the same night.

You win when the human strike team outnumbers the werewolves, or nothing can prevent that from happening.

xyzzy

Your role: Cleric

You are in the human strike team together with
Flameaxe
. The two of you may communicate privately whenever you like – no matter if it’s day or night – using this thread: Mafia 81: Human strike team. Before each day is ended (make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008) you may PM me a player you want to night kill. Only one of you may do this, decide who will do it (you may change your mind as many times you like, I will only acknowledge the last correct sent in kill). Only the one performing the kill have to PM the nightkill to me.

Furthermore you can cure lycanthropy the first night with a full moon (i.e. can only be used night one). By curing a player from lycanthropy that player joins your team, gets your win condition and may communicate with you in the thread mentioned above. PM me a player name before day 1 is ended (once again, make sure to send in your choice in time – see rule #008) that you want to cure. As soon as that player then starts communicating with you in the quick topic thread you know that he is cured.
You cannot both cure and do a nightkill the same night.

You win when the human strike team outnumbers the werewolves, or nothing can prevent that from happening.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #610 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:01 am

Post by Johoohno »

Night choices

N1
• OGML tracks farside (she goes nowhere)
• Rogue tracks OGML (he goes to farside22)
• Nitro investigates farside22 (she turns out to be a werewolf)

N2
• Phoebus vig kills Jenter (blocked by Jenter’s 1shot bullet – now used up)
• OGML tracks My Milked Eek (goes to Rogue Shenanigans)
• Rogue tracks phoebus (gets no result since he is killed) (No reason handing out unnecessary info)
• My Milked Eek investigates Rogue (turns out to be a werewolf)
• Flameaxe kills Rogue Shenanigans

N3
• OGML tracks My Milked Eek (he goes to Grimmy)
• My Milked Eek investigate Grimmy (Gets no result since he is killed)
• Battle Magic kills My Milked Eek

N4
• Jenter vig kills muffinhead
• OGML tracks Mr.Flay
I actually got a PM from Battle Mage - in time - saying he would kill SpyreX, but I guess Phoebus didn't get it?
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #611 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:11 am

Post by Johoohno »

Mod questions

This is only my second game modded and I have a few questions for you in order to improve my modding, setup balance and game mechanics:

questions

1. Was 96 hours too short time for a day? (I actually preferred the 72 hours pace used in my first game – but maybe that’s just me)
2. Any opinions on the night choice mechanic – that you had to PM it before the deadline?
3. Any opinions on the private communication (werewolves) could go on at all times?
4. Was the game balanced considering power roles?
5. Should I permit conditional night choices (= kill X, but if X is lynched I kill Y instead)?
6. Would you join another swift game? why/why not?

I actually plan to have one more swift game coming up continuing the saga of Wolventon (in a month or two).
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #612 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Ohhhh, i had to send to Phoebus? lol

Why did nobody else mention that...

Answers
1. I thought the timings were fine.
2. it was...different. Not getting a choice in on time was annoying though.
4. I'm not really sure how the Mafia Recruiter worked. He couldnt ACTUALLY recruit could he? :o
5. Definitely not.
6. Yes.

It was unfortunate to replace in as i did. I felt a bit annoyed and screwed over that, after my claim, it was suddenly the case that flavour was able to differentiate kills- something which, unless i am mistaken, had not been the case when i first replaced in. I'm a bit annoyed with myself too really. Any other town in their right mind wouldve lynched OGML today, after his behaviour and dodgy claim. :(

It was a fun game to replace into- just i feel a bit gutted about the way it ended...

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h

Post Post #613 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:26 am

Post by Johoohno »

@ Battle Mage: I think you made a great game, considering entering a near lynch on yourself. I also liked your claim - Alpha wolf :) It most definitely could have been in the game.

The recruiter could recruit, but only the first night.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #614 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Johoohno wrote:
questions

1. Was 96 hours too short time for a day? (I actually preferred the 72 hours pace used in my first game – but maybe that’s just me)
2. Any opinions on the night choice mechanic – that you had to PM it before the deadline?
3. Any opinions on the private communication (werewolves) could go on at all times?
5. Should I permit conditional night choices (= kill X, but if X is lynched I kill Y instead)?
  1. 96 was just about right for me - 72 with a "weekends don't count" exception" might have worked too, but this was a pretty solid pace, without being rushed ALL the time.
  2. I think conditional choices would be better (I PM'ed you about this, feel free to quote me), because otherwise you're adding a weird element of metagame to what's going on. I don't think 6-12 hours of 'Night' would have hurt anything either, but that's just me (if I'd had a power role, I'd have been almighty pissed if I missed my choice by 90 seconds).
  3. That's fine, as long as it's known/can be expected (which it will be, now that you've done it twice in Swift Games).
  4. Recruiters are always swingy. I'd have made a 3-man team with a recruiter, and a slightly larger game. You also may have had too many power roles for town, but I need to think about that a bit. Really, we got VERY lucky in nailing xyzzy D1, so it's hard to tell on balance.
  5. See 2.
  6. Not right now because of my schedule, but yeah, I'd probably play something similar again. I joined specifically because I was skeptical about how much scumhunting you could do on that time frame, and I am happy to have been proven wrong.
I think you did a very good job, by the way, and I know how nerve-wracking an always-on-full game can be to moderate.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #615 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:37 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Battle Mage wrote:Ohhhh, i had to send to Phoebus? lol

Why did nobody else mention that...
He did, you didn't read...
Johoohno wrote:
Night choices:
Send your choices both to him and me from now on (I've given him all those sent to me up till now).
:)

In fairness, BM was in a VERY tough spot, and his claim was overall not bad. He just got locked up in the power role grid, and overplayed his claim. But an Alpha Wolf claim was not a bad idea, all things considered. I actually was having doubts at the end there...
OhGodMyLife wrote:Who is more likely to 1) be scum on the xyzzyscum wagon and 2) have missed sending in a nightkill.

Is it A. OhGodMyLife, who was the most active person in the thread on day one and who pushed the xyzzy wagon from start to finish
Or is it B. Flameaxe, who's only day one activity was to vote xyzzy because he always does so in scumchat, and who later flaked out entirely and was replaced by BM.

We report, you decide!
Ahahaha, I totally forgot that BM used to be Flameaxe! :evil: That would have changed my endgame vote right there, because I thought Flameaxe was scummy from the word 'go'...
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #616 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 am

Post by farside22 »

I was never going to lynch OMGL he was pretty much confirmed, however it irked me how often he attacked power roles. I think Spreyx idea was the best for the end of day.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Rogue Shenanigans
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Goon

Post Post #617 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:49 am

Post by Rogue Shenanigans »

I am waiting for OGML to come up with a theory that I am still scum:P

1. 96 was just right in my opinion.
2. It kinda screws with power-roles judgement. I clearly wouldn't have tracked OGML if I knew ZZ was scum. I would have tracked flay. That would have been unconfirmable, I woulda probably got lynched, and it could have changed the whole game.
3. No problem with it.
5. Yes, this solves all problems with 2. I wouldnt have minded a 24 hour night either.
6. Oh hell yes. This game was good.
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #618 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:51 am

Post by OhGodMyLife »

vote: rogue shenanigans
:D

I thought 96 hours was a great pace. Maybe jenter could chime in on that since he played both games.

Conditional night choices would have been great. You know I tried to do that day one, and how much I flip flopped on who I was going to track.

I really found the glut of power roles hard to believe, and of course my natural instinct when someone claims my role is to put the noose around their neck myself. Lesson learned there for me.
Rogue Shenanigans
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Rogue Shenanigans
Goon
Goon

Post Post #619 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:55 am

Post by Rogue Shenanigans »

I love the fact that there actually was a mafia tracker.

Made me giggle.
Jenter Brolincani
Jenter Brolincani
Goon
Jenter Brolincani
Goon
Goon

Post Post #620 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 am

Post by Jenter Brolincani »

Yay! I am now officilimusly the veteran of wolfieness!
Show
Who dares, dies.

No access on thursdays.

...this would be much simpler for me if one of you could stop making sense and act like scum. - Elmo

...So the only scum is a player with no vote, no NK and doesn't exist? - Rogue Shenanigans
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #621 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

OhGodMyLife wrote:Conditional night choices would have been great. You know I tried to do that day one, and how much I flip flopped on who I was going to track.
I actually asked johoono about that pre-game, so that I could lay a trap for any fake claims, if needed. It didn't really work out that way because of the mass claim, but it was worth the effort.

Actually, I'm quite pleased with the way my play in this game turned out - no hard feelings, eh xyzzy? :twisted:
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #622 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 am

Post by SpyreX »

1.) I liked it. After the other games, fast is better. I would love to do a 72 and you were a great mod. So, keep me in mind if you have another coming up. ;)
2.) IF the power roles can use conditionals, I think it will work fine.
3.) I think scum should always be able to be in full communication. So, yes. A neat way to do it too.
4.) With the revelation that it was only a 1 night recruiter, yes. Scum tracker seems, honestly, kinda useless in comparison to other scum roles. Also, two vigs was an interesting call that could have cinched it for the town or made us lose off the bat. So, I like it.
5.) YES! Without the time for night action (which I like, because of the speed of the game) the conditionals are almost a necessity.
6.) Without question. This one was a lot of fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Like I said, look me up when you mod another.

BM - you played a great game (I was worried there for a minute that I was actively leading the town to a loss getting both of us hung). However, I still couldn't dig OMGL actually powerbussing - if that was the trick he pulled, he would have earned the scumwin from me. ;)
Show

Proud member of BaM
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #623 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Yeh i guess you're right. Its just, i see stuff like that all the time. In fact, from a mathematical angle, I'd say that significantly more scum would choose to bus than not to bus. It's just impulse to distance from your buddies. I also see comments like 'if you pulled that off, you deserve to win" often too. It bugs me in this instance, because bussing is so natural for scum. I cannot express how neatly OGML fitted what i would expect from scum in this game. If anything, it was my genuine suspicion of him that hindered my attempt to get YOU lynched. :P

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #624 (ISO) » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:20 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Battle Mage wrote:If anything, it was my genuine suspicion of him that hindered my attempt to get YOU lynched.
I think this is right, actually. You were blinded to the fact that, from a pro-town perspective, OGML was the next best thing to confirmed (even though we didn't know xyzzy was a one-shot, bussing him would have been overkill and counter-productive).

Still, you definitely did a better job than your predecessor.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”