Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1500 (ISO) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Nom Dannflor for
Gentleman's Howl

1. Gentleman hits the note of his general playstyle being overall polite and easy to play with; it's very hard to impossible to hate or get angry at him in game
2. A Gentleman's howl can indicate BOTH town looking wolfy and scum looking townie; a wolf looking like a gentleman is harder to catch than a standard wolf, while a gentleman howling looks like a wolf despite not being a wolf. This is generally how consensus towards Dannflor's alignment turns out over time in my experience.
3. A somewhat distant this note it hits is that Dannflor can be quite active and be a strong voice (howling) when he is town (a gentleman)

there's probably even more that can be said can fit Dannflor but these are what I can come up with off the bat
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #1501 (ISO) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Post by Chara »

nth
Gentleman's Howl
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1502 (ISO) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Post by Firebringer »

why can't we just give dannflor deepwolf?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1503 (ISO) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Nth Sorting Hat
for NSG
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1504 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:12 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1500, Ankamius wrote:Nom Dannflor for
Gentleman's Howl

1. Gentleman hits the note of his general playstyle being overall polite and easy to play with; it's very hard to impossible to hate or get angry at him in game
2. A Gentleman's howl can indicate BOTH town looking wolfy and scum looking townie; a wolf looking like a gentleman is harder to catch than a standard wolf, while a gentleman howling looks like a wolf despite not being a wolf. This is generally how consensus towards Dannflor's alignment turns out over time in my experience.
3. A somewhat distant this note it hits is that Dannflor can be quite active and be a strong voice (howling) when he is town (a gentleman)

there's probably even more that can be said can fit Dannflor but these are what I can come up with off the bat
Well now I have an extra title to consider dammit. :P

I'm postponing this until tomorrow, but will give word then unless someone comes up with another incredibly well thought out idea within the next 24 hours. :P
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1505 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 1502, Firebringer wrote:why can't we just give dannflor deepwolf?
yeah, this
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1506 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:37 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

not to knock GH
but why is it in the running when only one person has nthed it?
>.>
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1507 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am

Post by Ankamius »

Honestly, there's either very little support or mixed support on basically every dann title

I mostly wanted to push it in another direction but that didn't really work either
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1508 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:47 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Probably because mastina liked it and want more discussion around it.

Do you like it, Cheetory?
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1509 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:10 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

The thought behind it is cool but Gentleman's Howl isn't an actual expression as far as I can tell and it feels a little like it's just abstracting away from the point of him being associated with being a DeepWolf.
When I see Gentleman's Howl I don't really intuitively think anything and I kind of expect that's what most people outside of those watching the thread right now will also feel.

I don't mind if mastina likes it and wants more discussion for it, but she was making it sound like it was literally in the running specifically because she likes it which is a bad reason for it to be in the running.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1510 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 am

Post by Pine »

Schrödinger’s Deepwolf is best, I think, but why not just offer him his choice of the ones that have survived this long? I’d like to hear from Dann.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1511 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:37 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 1501, Chara wrote:nth
Gentleman's Howl
Nth.

Also, what pine said.

Also also, what’s the mastina word on sorting hat?
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1512 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:42 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 1509, Cheetory6 wrote:When I see Gentleman's Howl I don't really intuitively think anything and I kind of expect that's what most people outside of those watching the thread right now will also feel.
Disagree. As I see it the mod to the meme is there for people who would appreciate the meme, but to the uninitiated it just says that Dannflor is friendly and polite, even when wolfing. Which... is pretty true. Dannflor is one of the most consistently chill players on site and I think referring to the fact that he’s crazy easy to get along with enhances the title, not detracts from it.
This is a Parachute.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1513 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 1512, Jingle wrote:to the uninitiated it just says that Dannflor is friendly and polite, even when wolfing
to the uninitiated, it's two random words slapped together with no discernible meaning
To be clear: quack
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1514 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:24 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

yeah idk it doesn't really read like it's obvious that people are going to interpret it that way?

The possible connotations are cool and all but it would be neat if it was at least tied to some kind of existing phrase/idiom because otherwise it doesn't really feel grounded in anything real.

Like, what is a gentleman's howl? It isn't really anything obvious. Why is it inherently going to derive that positive interpretation?
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1515 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

And tbf I feel like I'm more just defending my stance rather than being actively opposed to it [and I was prompted to give my opinion, to be clear].
It's like, okay?
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #1516 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:16 am

Post by Chara »

In post 1510, Pine wrote:Schrödinger’s Deepwolf is best, I think, but why not just offer him his choice of the ones that have survived this long? I’d like to hear from Dann.
i don't know if i like this one. i feel that the Schrödinger’s [something] construction is both overplayed in general and misused here. i find the other Dann titles more appropriate as well. i might like it more if Dann had an interest in physics or philosophy.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1517 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am

Post by Jingle »

I don't blame you for having that stance, cheet, I was just sharing how I saw it.

And I feel like the culture of werewolves = bad and gentlemans = good is pretty unanimous on this forum. :shrug:
This is a Parachute.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1518 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 1516, Chara wrote:
In post 1510, Pine wrote:Schrödinger’s Deepwolf is best, I think, but why not just offer him his choice of the ones that have survived this long? I’d like to hear from Dann.
i don't know if i like this one. i feel that the Schrödinger’s [something] construction is both overplayed in general and misused here. i find the other Dann titles more appropriate as well. i might like it more if Dann had an interest in physics or philosophy.
I guess if the metaphor is overused he could more directly be called a quantum deepwolf.
But for the other objection Dannflor's avatar is from some tv show about time travel and has been so for a long while so I kind of yes speculated he maybe likes physics at least a little? Unless it's from a different show than I thought it was.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1519 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:52 am

Post by the worst »

I think playing w dann is totally a matter of there simultaneously being a reality where he is just town and a reality where he is the deepwolf tbh, I specifically very much like the quantum aspect

he is also the tenth doctor as the lovely popsofctown observed but that feels auxiliary imo
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #1520 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:01 am

Post by Enter »

In post 1519, the worst wrote:I think playing w dann is totally a matter of there simultaneously being a reality where he is just town and a reality where he is the deepwolf tbh, I specifically very much like the quantum aspect

he is also the tenth doctor as the lovely popsofctown observed but that feels auxiliary imo
superwolf

reference to superposition and deepwolf?
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1521 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:04 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1511, Jingle wrote:Also also, what’s the mastina word on sorting hat?
It's not something I'm opposed to, but it also looks like it doesn't have much support behind it.

(Am working on writing the more indepth post now.)
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1522 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

is 7ish nths not enough? because that's what it approx looks like with inferred support
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #1523 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

Post by mastina »

At this point, I think I am willing to forward on the following titles for Dannflor:
-
Sheep in Deepwolf's Clothing
. This title conveys the heart of the meme, while also having a common expression behind it to back it up. It's not a perfect title, and I recognize the valid criticism that it's a bit forced, but I feel like it's worth going forward for.
-
Is this a deepwolf?
. This title conveys the meme behind Dannflor fairly well. I recognize the criticism of it being a bit wordy for the idea, but I feel like it's good enough to move on to the next stage.
-
Deepwolf?
. This title has the simplicity behind it and is the closest to the original suggestion for him. I don't actually think there's much criticism for it other than preferring other options more, so it is definitely good enough to move on.
-
Schrödinger's Deepwolf
. This title conveys the meme; this title is a solid title. My only concern is, is it a good title for Dannflor? Because while it's a good title, and it's good at conveying the meme we're titling Dannflor for, I'm not sure it's a good title for Dannflor specifically. It's still good enough to move on for now tho.
-
Gentleman's Howl
. This one is the opposite of Schrodinger's Deepwolf. This title is a solid title, and this title is a title I feel is good for Dannflor, the thing is it doesn't really convey the meme which we started the titling process on Dannflor for; it doesn't invoke imagery of being a deepwolf. So why's it here? Because it's a good title, and a title I feel is fitting for Dannflor, which is more important than fitting the meme behind Dannflor.

As Ankamius said: every one of these titles has at least one person who thinks, "this is the best iteration of the title imo"; almost every one of the titles has at least one person who thinks, "this is the worst iteration of the title imo"; there's mixed support on most of them and no universal consensus as far as I can tell.

At this point, then, going to go forward with
72 hours
on each of them for Dannflor:
(expired on 2019-11-30 15:30:06).
If you are very very strongly opposed to some of these (and your opposition isn't, "I like a different title more"), state so now; if I get strong enough opposition, then that title/those titles may be removed.
Similarly, if you are very very strongly in favor to some of these and you don't want them removed, this would be your final chance to make sure they are pushed through.

In 72 hours, I'll be letting Dannflor pick from all the titles which remain from the above, because at this point, might as well leave it to him since I feel there's multiple good titles and I'm comfortable going forward with them.

On that note, we kinda droppd the discussion around PenguinPower's titles in favor of discussing Dannflor; I feel comfortable enough approving whichever variant of the title (if any) PP would want, between
.peng, .PENG, .PeNG, .P eN G, .P EN G (I believe those were the suggested iterations)
So, giving that 48 hours:
(expired on 2019-11-29 15:30:06)
Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

In doing the above, I did notice there were more nths for nsg's sorting hat than I thought. I thought it was like two or three, but turns out, yeah, it is like 7 or so.
I'm not opposed to the title, so I'll also be giving it the 48 hour treatment:
(expired on 2019-11-29 15:30:06)
So speak now, or forever hold your peace.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1524 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 am

Post by Pine »

Wallpost Title Fairy: I endorse this product and/or service
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar