Song Contest 142 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 48, Vi wrote:I've finished my first pass. The impression that I have of this contest is that it's overwhelmingly mediocre - 21 entries other than my own and not one of them speaks to me. :(
Maybe it is thou that is... mediocre.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

What a way of saying 'no u'
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 am

Post by Vi »

In post 50, Formerfish wrote:
In post 48, Vi wrote:I've finished my first pass. The impression that I have of this contest is that it's overwhelmingly mediocre - 21 entries other than my own and not one of them speaks to me. :(
what the heck is a "thou" and is your favorite color cyan

to be clear this is not the worst contest I have participated in and there was no point during this contest where I felt as bad as I have in multiple previous ones
it just... kind of happened for the most part
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 52, Vi wrote:
what the heck is a "thou" and is your favorite color cyan

to be clear this is not the worst contest I have participated in and there was no point during this contest where I felt as bad as I have in multiple previous ones
it just... kind of happened for the most part
I felt like if i spoke in olde english that you would recognize my jocular manner.

And what's cyan?
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Love
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I finished my first pass and all of them speak to me except your anonymous entry
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:58 am

Post by Vi »

In post 55, popsofctown wrote:
I finished my first pass and all of them speak to me except your anonymous entry
you seem biased against instrumentals
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:26 am

Post by Cyril »

why are there so many long songs this contest what the hell
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Just saying this again but if you're gonna listen to my song (Australia - Flappie, I guess why not spoil it) please listen to it while reading the translated lyrics I provided in post 47 so you can enjoy what he's singing about. It's actually kinda amusing (and sad).
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:58 am

Post by Cyril »

Philippines – Mmnnn well musically this is okay but it’s just so unbearably cheesy I kinda hate it. It’s… not the worst, but. (MEDIOCRE)

Japan – Trying to find out if this sounds familiar because I’ve actually heard it before or if because it’s just really… standard. It’s, y’know, kinda fun and bouncy, probably a bit catchy, it sure does function as a song, I’ll say that for sure. (AVERAGE)

Macau – Theoretically an instrumental cover of this song would be the best possible version, but also we could just, not continue to acknowledge this song’s existence too? Anyways this is mostly just kinda dull but inoffensive. (AVERAGE)

Poland – Theoretically he has a good voice for the sound, but it’s not a sound I particularly care for. This definitely sounds a lot more alive than any of the other songs so far though. Too long for how repetitive it is, too. (AVERAGE)

Sudan – Honestly this is the first jazz or jazz-adjacent piece in this vein I’ve heard and actually got why people listen to this kind of music, this is really dang cool. (GOOD)

Germany – I’m not sure why you would submit this. I’m not sitting through a full 7 minutes of this.

Benin – I hate looking at the image of this one so much that I’m just not gonna listen to it. It’s an obvious joke song anyways.

Egypt – See, my problem with this guy’s stuff isn’t that it necessarily sounds bad, it sounds straight-up broken. The groove feels constantly offbeat, the melodies don’t follow any key and don’t harmonize well either, the song changes styles on a whim with no semblance of transition between ideas, it just feels like a scattered mess of musical fragments stitched together at random to vaguely resemble a song. I remember feeling similarly about previous things you’ve sent from him too, I’m just never gonna like his stuff.

Guyana – Whiplash going from some songs I couldn’t sit through to one that just confounds me and then straight into a pretty straightforward EDM-ish stuff. This one’s alright. I don’t, love it, but I don’t mind it, which, well, it’s something. (AVERAGE)

Australia – Well alright.

Costa Rica – I don’t really know what to do with this. I don’t mind it but it makes me feel nothing at all. (AVERAGE)

so far this contest is DIRE
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:11 am

Post by popsofctown »

If mine makes bottom half I will stamp off and never play again like the child I most definitely am no pressure
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 am

Post by Plotinus »

I liked flappy before i knew what it said
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 am

Post by Vi »

In post 60, popsofctown wrote:If mine makes bottom half I will stamp off and never play again like the child I most definitely am no pressure
If mine doesn't make bottom half I will be pleasantly surprised and also confused
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:41 am

Post by vizIIsto »

If mine doesn't make bottom half I'll eat my so... no what am I doing, you know which song is mine. Of course I'm not gonna make a dumb bet.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am

Post by Vi »

In post 63, vizIIsto wrote:If mine doesn't make bottom half I'll eat my ra...
ftfy?
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:42 am

Post by Amrun »

I’m always in the bottom half. This will be no different.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:08 am

Post by Vi »

In post 65, Amrun wrote:I’m always in the bottom half. This will be no different.
If yours is the one I think it is, your entry has a decent chance of being top half this time.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:34 am

Post by Cyril »

if my entry places i'll continue existing
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 am

Post by Vi »

In post 67, Cyril wrote:if my entry places i'll continue existing
funny story about that

@MOD: Iceland does not appear as an option in the voting form
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:59 am

Post by Vi »

All right, I'm done with my second pass. Ranking a top 10 was actually kind of difficult... At some point I think the numeric ratings became even more arbitrary than usual despite my better efforts; while I'm glad so many people expressed interest, having all these entries made it difficult to do the apples-vs-oranges comparisons.

Spoiler: Someone busted the dire hydrant
|
|
===TIER: Things I liked (I guess)

(12) Hungary -- Šerif Delić {Džennet pita nagizdan}
-- I love this mood. I don't really have a lot else to say about it. It's kind of elemental. How this rose from 3.2 on my first pass to beat the entire rest of this tier head-to-head is a mystery to me, but I don't regret it. 4/6

(10) Afghanistan -- Wintergatan {Sandviken Stradivarius}
-- Wait, these people have more than one song? The saw is really what makes this something more than snooze material, although this song HEAVILY benefits from having a groove to it. The non-saw portions of the song are okay; decent background music. 3.75/6

(8) Ethiopia -- Donald Phan {This Game (Piano Cover)}
-- I'm not aware of the original song, but this piano cover seems quite listenable. I'm not blown away by it because it doesn't have a lot of contrasts, but what contrasts it has are good and it's technically quite reasonable. It likely doesn't need to be as long as it is since it doesn't have a lot left to convey after a few minutes. I checked out a few of this person's other covers and found a few Fire Emblem redos, and after listening to like 30 seconds it felt kind of the same - they did some mild arranging and then applied whichever instrumentation they happened to like at the time from their DAW. 3.6/6

(7) Turkey -- Trans Siberian Orchestra {Christmas Canon}
-- Old song, good rendition. I unironically like this, except for the ON THIS NIGHT ON THIS NIGHT ON THIS MERRY CHRISTMAS NIGHT rhythm, which is a gruesome affront to the pyramid of balance (and I'm saying that as a clarinet player). This has no climax I would consider worthy of the term, which is disappointing... and while I rated this first place on my first pass, I found that I wanted to listen to all of the entries above this more - largely for having a rhythm section.

OH FRICK THIS IS AMRUN ISN'T IT. DAMMIT AM I GETTING OUT-CHORALED 3.5/6

(6) China -- Batushka {Yekteniya 1}
-- This isn't something I expected to say during this or any contest, but... I'm grateful some metal got in. Orthodox angst metal sure is a thing. I sort of like how this feels, but there's too much dying painfully in the background and too little in the foreground to hold onto for this to really be something I would want to listen to again. Honestly I might be overrating this for its novelty against the backdrop of all the other songs. 3.45/9

(5) Be(a)nin -- Beanus {Beanus Likes Christmas Beans}
-- I know I'm the person who gives way too many points to novelty songs, but this whole thing feels like a missed opportunity to be more clever. I mean. He's Beanus and he likes beans. That's the whole song. I feel like the guy talking in a dippy voice is supposed to be funnier than it is. Despite everything, I still feel oddly compelled to show this to others purely because... uhm. 3.4/6 gdi this is so stupid and I am embarrassed to rate this this highly because why does stupidity WORK on me

===TIER: Things I found reasonable but not really me

(4) Iceland -- Billie Eilish {When the Party's Over}
-- It's okay. I like how it feels, except for the parts where I don't. Maybe this would have more of an impact if I ever had a social life, because I can definitely tell that this really speaks to a certain (perhaps large) segment of the market. Good YouTube comments include: "This made my depression so depressed that it cured my depression" and "When Venom decides you're not the right host". 3.2/6

(3) USA -- Dance Gavin Dance {Man of the Year}
-- I feel like if this song wasn't trying to be ambiguous with its lyrics, this could have used the screaming and angry lyrical styles playing off each other really well. Its best parts sound really good tbh; this might be the best song submitted that prominently features death vocals. 2.95/6

(2) Wales -- Paul Kelly {How To Make Gravy}
-- Late December, 1963? What a very special time for me! This song feels like it confirms all of my preconceived notions about QLD :V :V This is actually reasonable country (before it gets out of hand), although the guy lets his whinetwang come out at points. Overall it's a silly but serviceable meme song. 2.9/6

===TIER: I spent so much time trying to figure out which of these I liked most

(1) Japan -- 鈴木愛理 {Break it down}
-- It's a good sound from a genre I think I like, but I don't think I'm a fan of this particular execution of it. 2.6/6

Guyana -- Flume feat. London Grammar {Let You Know}
-- London Grammar put in the work, yet it's rated here. 2.59/6

Niger -- DRAX project feat. Six60 {Catching feelings}
-- Decent but not my style. 2.58/6

Macau -- aivi & surasshu {Baby, It's Cold Outside}
-- What Cyril said. 2.57/6

===TIER: "Moanin'" and entries that actually inspired moaning

Sudan -- Mingus Big Band {Moanin'}
-- Friends don't let friends play saxophone. Unless those friends are geese. 2.4/9

Egypt -- Jacob Collier {Saviour}
-- 2.3/6

Chad -- Blink 182 {Happy Holidays, you bastard}
-- I mean. It makes its statement in as concise and impactful a form as possible. I can see that this song has an audience; it's just not me. 2.25/9

Poland -- The Dead South {Deep When the River's High}
-- 2.2/9

Phillippines -- Parokya ni Edgar {This Guy’s in Love with You Pare}
-- 2/6

Costa Rica -- Dirty Projectors {Gun Has No Trigger}
-- 1.9/6

===TIER: Actually dire

Djibouti -- Sports Team {Fishing}
-- Best YouTube comment was "I don't want this ad playing over my Ghost interview with Tobias Forge." 1.5/6

Australia -- Youp van 't Hek {Flappie}
-- Setting aside its musical merits and any rabbit jokes made elsewhere in this thread, this entry managed to combine animal butchery, emotional abuse by parental figures, and a comic framing. I refused to put myself through this a second time. 1/6

Germany -- Nordic Chamber Choir {O Magnum Mysterium}
-- You wanted Christmas music, you GOT Christmas music. Or, wait, you said you
didn't
want Christmas music? Welp.

I'm told this isn't even the composer's best work, but it's the one that intersected my life. Around 2006 or 2007 this became all the rage with wind ensembles, partly because you don't get good sacred music very often and partly because it gives the conductor maximal interpretative power. As such, it took me a fair amount of digging to find a recording of this that met my standards (not least because this is a very, very, very very very exposed piece where flaws are incredibly noticeable). The fact that the soprano doesn't murder your ears is absolutely stunning.

But really more than anything I submitted this to see Amrun's reaction. If you're not Amrun, I hope you enjoyed this detour into a rarely-visited place in pop culture where Christ is still in Christmas, time flows at a completely different speed and pace than the other contest entries, and people get unreasonably excited about how that one chord at 3:05 is different from the corresponding chords in the first and fourth parts.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:45 am

Post by PJ. »

I have two questions to Ethiopa.

Why a cover? Are you aware that No Game No Life is an awful anime?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:26 am

Post by PJ. »

Yo...i can't vote for iceland. It's not an option
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 am

Post by vizIIsto »

In post 71, PJ. wrote:Yo...i can't vote for iceland. It's not an option
Billie Eilish is never a viable option.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:01 am

Post by Cyril »

that's okay. i really desire last place
according to Vi's scores literally all the good songs are in the half i haven't listened to yet
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:03 am

Post by PJ. »

all the good songs were only my song.

Return to “General Discussion”