Newbie 2003: Earth [game over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Post by DkKoba »

u said something so blatently scummy there was no reason to need to explain it. you claimed you want an "easy push". You're going to need to give some reason to pivot other than "its easier to go after someone noobier".

And now you're pivoting to trying to claim I'm trying to needlessly shade you? I find that ridiculous.

pedit: clemency seems to be trying to focus on discrediting me over trying to help gamesolve and I'd like to highlight that with his recent posts in reaction to me calling him on his weird reasoning for pivoting off pressure.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

yoink pagetop
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 46, midwaybear wrote:who is cycle guy
hello since you're here let me hear your thoughts on whats going on so far.
retired
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

no one answered my question about mechposting. hurts like crazy...

honestly i didn't think clemency's reasoning was so weird? it's easier to get tells out of newer players than it is people who know how it goes, so some votes who's never been in that position before would probably yield more tells.

however, i don't think it really justifies clemency being so... aloof? hands-off? in this instance. it makes more sense to ask "well, what do you see about xyz that makes it so bad." fmpov? idk if that's a difference in playstyle or not about not engaging until there's more to engage against though.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by midwaybear »

idk clemency seems a bit defensive, yet nonchalant which makes me a bit suspicious
just waiting for the last two slots now lol

pedit: what's mechposting
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

i yoinked it from whoever prior in the thread was using it but mechanics posting!
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Post by midwaybear »

oh I think mechposting is normally like this. Yeah, I agree. It seems NAI to me because some people might genuinely be newbies. I think it's fine though
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Post by DkKoba »

mechposting is a term i made up for a specific type of filler that involves explaining game mechanics rather than attempting to advance the game state. Something I found that I didn't like about emonis' questions is:

1) yeah thats fairly obvious
2) this one is the big one, it looks to be reaction fishing for roles to get people to act more of a certain way.(again this post only prompted me to want to push on emonis, not actually scumread him, I am not shading him for this, merely throwing out a theory that I based my push on)
3) fairly useless but also NAI and reasonable to say but also can be interpreted as extra filler.

boring not really game related content ahead warning:
I am a mentor on Epicmafia myself, and something I try to get my mentees to do is to try to figure out things on their own and focus on mechanics/situations I see them fail at after its happened. handholding isn't necessary, just play the game. it's a social deduction game. worrying too much about playing the "right" way will just get in the way of helping you win. So essentially I like to go at it at a "need to know" basis. In the interest of the game actually, I'd prefer for a noob to townslip, as it makes the game easier. No need to throw out information before it's needed etc etc.

right now I can feel we can form an early townblock I just need some good participation from everyone first.
retired
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Post by midwaybear »

scum typically try to start townblocks
starting one this early is high risk high reward
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 58, midwaybear wrote:scum typically try to start townblocks
starting one this early is high risk high reward
lmao wtf? i have never heard this statistic.
finding townreads is more powerful than trying to find someone scummy. the only "risk" of n early townblock is if you fail to reexamine it later on.

can you explain why you think this?
retired
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Post by midwaybear »

oops i think my understanding of a townblock may be flawed, but I remember reading something on the wiki that encouraged scum to start townblocks.
what is a townblock anyways?
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Post by DkKoba »

ah. the wiki definition doesn't really line up with how I percieved it myself. I myself just see it as a group of people who townread eachother who consider eachother "clear" in a way so that trust eachother etc etc.

regardless it was just a dumb idea considering how early it is but I do see potential townreads already.
retired
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Post by Ydrasse »

okay i'm glad that relatively we're on the same page wrt mechanics.

i don't think creating a townbloc particularly dumb idea, really. maybe jumping the gun a bit, but not dumb.

i'd really like to hear from the others especially the other two slots. i hope they pop in soon.
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Post by enomis »

Spoiler: Clemency post 35
In post 35, Clemency wrote:i think it doesnt have enough merit to warrant an answer and frankly it hurts my feelings

If this is true I apologize. It was a good way to kick off the game from RVS. Also, the slip could be true.

Spoiler: DkKoba Post 57
In post 57, DkKoba wrote:Something I found that I didn't like about emonis' questions is:

1) yeah thats fairly obvious
2) this one is the big one, it looks to be reaction fishing for roles to get people to act more of a certain way.(again this post only prompted me to want to push on emonis, not actually scumread him, I am not shading him for this, merely throwing out a theory that I based my push on)
3) fairly useless but also NAI and reasonable to say but also can be interpreted as extra filler.

Which question are you referring to?

Also, do you think me or clemency is more scummy right now?

Lastly, in your experience, is there alot of scums who farm "town points" by mech posting?
----------------------------------------------------------

I don't think townblock is a good thing to create purposefully . I feel that it makes people not want to change their townread(Stuck in their town read) and make people defend their townreads more than they should.
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Homertve: "Oh, and by the way, your tail is on fire."
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

Post by Apogee »

I've been reading back through the thread, and although I don't feel I have solid reads a few things stood out.

I just keep thinking about the pretty quick 3 person wagon on Enomis that then Clemency withdrew from. Clemency's withdrawal could be a scum move to not be seen as wagoning too hard too early? But I'm not sure it really makes more sense for him to withdraw as a maf than as a town who just didn't want a big push yet. Feel like I still need to see more to make a firm guess on the individual players involved, but either way something with the whole early votes for Enomis feels weird.

Obviously want to see the other 2 players/their replacements. Although it could be a time zone or schedule thing I would like to hear more from Maduisha, who contributed very quickly to that above wagon, answered one question, and hasn't posted since. Again, I don't have scumreads on anyone but think there is something to this situation.

I'll probably not be on much longer tonight but will take another read tomorrow morning.
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by enomis »

Publishing my reads so far:
Apogee
- Town Lean. Feels like genuinely scumhunting and using terms like "wolf" which sometimes newb town uses because they are not used to calling scums "mafia".

Clemency
- Scum Lean. For the scumslip and a few other stuff which i don't like.
Also:
In post 24, Clemency wrote:statistically speaking everyone is town until proven otherwise
Feels like a convoluted way to explain the slip. I don't know, probably NAI.
Then:
In post 30, Clemency wrote:UNVOTE:
i think other slots are higher priority to push rn
i'd pick one if i wasnt walking home atm
But went ahead to post a few posts without pushing anyone.

My vote stays on Clemency until I find someone else scummier.
@Clemency: I would like to see your push on someone else.

-----------------------------------

Spoiler: Apogee post 64
In post 64, Apogee wrote:I've been reading back through the thread, and although I don't feel I have solid reads a few things stood out.

I just keep thinking about the pretty quick 3 person wagon on Enomis that then Clemency withdrew from. Clemency's withdrawal could be a scum move to not be seen as wagoning too hard too early? But I'm not sure it really makes more sense for him to withdraw as a maf than as a town who just didn't want a big push yet. Feel like I still need to see more to make a firm guess on the individual players involved, but either way something with the whole early votes for Enomis feels weird.

Obviously want to see the other 2 players/their replacements. Although it could be a time zone or schedule thing I would like to hear more from Maduisha, who contributed very quickly to that above wagon, answered one question, and hasn't posted since. Again, I don't have scumreads on anyone but think there is something to this situation.

I'll probably not be on much longer tonight but will take another read tomorrow morning.

I think you are thinking too much into the wagon. Clemency and Maduisha votes were RVS. DkKoba pushed the wagon because he thought I was scummy. What was weird for you about this wagon?

But yes, we need to hear more from Maduisha.
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Post by Maduisha »

In post 64, Apogee wrote:Although it could be a time zone or schedule thing I would like to hear more from Maduisha, who contributed very quickly to that above wagon, answered one question, and hasn't posted since.
Yeah, it's because I live in Spain and when people started posting more, I was asleep since it was night time for me. I've caught up now.

I know DkKoba is going to dislike this because he already protested Clemency unvoting, but I want to as well, since his is a serious non-RVS vote on Enomis, and I'm not a fan of letting a RVS vote parked on someone since the game started.

UNVOTE:

Now, some impressions:

The person that stood out for me the most is Clemency, both because of that "scumslip" idea flying around and DkKoba saying his recent behavior is blatantly scummy. I have to say, I don't think the scumslip is a thing and I believe he was just referring to town as a concept when he made that post, since town is always the majority. And I can see how his recent behavior can be seen as scummy if you only think of it as "he wants to push an easy slot", but if you revisit his post about it, you can notice he's saying newbies are most likely to slip up. That can be interpreted as "newbie players are more easily caught under pressure when scum" and "newbie players townslip more often". Of course, it could be viewed as "newbies are easier to lynch" if he's scum, but I think what I said before is what was probably his intention. So, this slot stays null for me as I don't find his content to be alignment indicative, but I'm getting slight town vibes from it and I want to see more.

Ydrasse looks town for me. I know it's early to say this, but I get a gut feeling from her posts. Maybe it's because we seem to coincide in opinion about stuff right now and I'm being a bit biased.

DkKoba seems to really want to get the game moving, which is a good thing, so I'm townleading him right now too. Although I'm also aware of the benefits for scum to create townblocks around them like Midwaybear said, I don't think scum blatantly says "let's build a townblock" and rather tries to get townread by people they're going to townread back as to create the block in a way that feels organic and non-suspicious, since scum cares about appearances. So, I'd say his move is townier than scum.

I don't have opinions about anyone else.
Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Post by Maduisha »

Also, I don't think explaining game mechanics is necessarily a scummy thing in newbie queue either, but I think DkKoba is pushing Enomis because the content he explained were things people didn't ask about. If a newbie asks and you explain, nothing looks weird as it's fulfilling a request. But if your posts are 50% content and 50% random wiki-explanation, I can see how it looks like fluff to pad posts.
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:14 am

Post by Clemency »

eh, im gonna blatantly backpedal by admitting i was trying a different style and it didnt suit me
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:33 am

Post by enomis »

In post 68, Clemency wrote:eh, im gonna blatantly backpedal by admitting i was trying a different style and it didnt suit me
What different style were you trying? What is your usual style?

----------------------------

@Maduisha:

How did you change the title under your name?

Maduisha
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Maduisha
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:37 am

Post by Maduisha »

In post 69, enomis wrote:How did you change the title under your name?
There was an April event in Site Ideas>Player Titles called entitlement that allowed you to change it yourself. I think the titles self-created in that thread are going to expire in a couple of days. I didn't know what titles meant for people on this forum when I requested this one, so I'm kind of glad it will expire soon.
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:40 am

Post by Clemency »

In post 69, enomis wrote:
In post 68, Clemency wrote:eh, im gonna blatantly backpedal by admitting i was trying a different style and it didnt suit me
What different style were you trying? What is your usual style?
im often criticised for being too passive and jovial, sort of just active lurkery
so i tried to be more aggressive but honestly i just started making shit up
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:47 am

Post by enomis »

In post 70, Maduisha wrote: There was an April event in Site Ideas>Player Titles called entitlement that allowed you to change it yourself. I think the titles self-created in that thread are going to expire in a couple of days. I didn't know what titles meant for people on this forum when I requested this one, so I'm kind of glad it will expire soon.
Oooh, I see. I think the title is cool though.

------------------------------------------

@Clemency:
Then what was the real reason for the unvote? Or was that your new playstyle too.

Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:50 am

Post by Clemency »

oh that part was honest
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 am

Post by enomis »

Huh? Then which part was made up.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”