Newbie 2011 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

although jokes aside - if you're going to lynch me do it because my reads suck, not because I'm a fun and determined player who is good for newbie development. Maybe just don't let me get to LyLo, because I'll probably screw it up. :lol:
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:48 am

Post by Micc »

Votecount 1.04
GeneralWu (3) -
gobbledygook, midwaybear, AGar
midwaybear (2) -
Apogee, Freddiethelady
gobbledygook (1) -
votato
votato (1) -
Battle Mage
AGar (1) -
SleeperSoul

Not Voting (1) -
GeneralWu

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to Eliminate.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2020-06-21 22:00:00).
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:51 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 121, midwaybear wrote:I don't think he's playing badly per say because a few of the points were valid (like the early votes). The other points might have been conf bias and wanting to get an early gut read right ;)
If you think AGar is actually conf-biasing on me because I made a couple trigger-happy votes early on, you are definitely implying he is a bad player. AGar has played with me before - we literally both lost a game together today because I prematurely mislynched him as town - it's inconceivable that he thinks me doing a -2/-1 vote is scum-indicative. NAI at best. :giggle:

I'm not down with a GeneralWu wagon, so let's go AGar instead.

VOTE: AGar

He has to be scum in 1 of these games right!? :lol:
Show

Nightkilled - 10

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 am

Post by AGar »

In post 110, Battle Mage wrote:In other words, AGar, you wanted to do the same thing to me, that you accused me of being scum for doing?

That doesn't sound helpful/constructive/pro-town...
Ahh, there's the dense, incapable of reading BM I remember.

I wanted to wagon you for reactions and to get reads. I thought your fake show of letting people know it was L-2/L-1 looked like a nice way to cover up some rolefishing, it was extra motivation to run you up. I don't peg you as someone who might claim in a hurried manner because you feel pressure, but I do think reads will be generated from it.
In post 113, Battle Mage wrote:Hold on, AGar, you're voting GeneralWu because he defended me? If you're saying he's scum by association, shouldn't you still be voting for me?

Oh, is it because GeneralWu has votes on him, and you're not really that worried about wagonning scum, anyone will do?

I'm turning a corner on you with that last post I think.
No, he's not scum by association. Scum have motivations to defend town and scumbuddies - this isn't some new breakthrough. My inkling is independent of any read on you.

Aaanyways, apparently I misremembered what "chainsaw defending" was because lol4yearbreak. The point was less about the nature of the defense and more that GWu came almost immediately to BM's defense.

Just on the SE note: SE doesn't *mean* anything. SE is a way to designate players who have played a certain number of games before, but that doesn't make them good/right/informed. It just means they've played enough games to be tagged that way. I took a four year break from Mafia, and even before that game in 2016, I hadn't played in a solid year+. I didn't brush up on the wiki when I came back, I just jumped back in and decided to relearn riding the bike. There *used* to be an IC in every newbie game who also served the purpose of teaching the right way to play. They held a bit more heft in explaining acronyms/gameplay/etc, and they had obligations to teach the right way to play but they don't exist anymore for whatever reason.

P-Edit: Gambler's fallacy. Nice.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:57 am

Post by Battle Mage »

AGar, rather than get into a silly tit-for-tat with you, can I make a suggestion:

if Battle Mage and GeneralWu were town, who would be scum? I'd like to see some more breadth in your reads.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 am

Post by Apogee »

My apologizes for not posting in a bit. Was up to other stuff yesterday and this morning. Reread up through now and am going to post a few initial thoughts. I hope to have some time to do closer to real time interactions with people this week, because I’m starting to think those are really useful for understanding where players are coming from.

Not to beat a mostly dead horse, but on the Agar/BM conflict I like how Agar put himself out there and started casing and pushing people. Yeah it’s aggressive, but he had no onus on him to try to make movement occur if he were scum. Mild townlean there
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Apogee »

In post 120, SleeperSoul wrote:Yes, I see your point. It seems like AGar might be playing 'bad' on purpose... the question is, why?
This post jumped right out at me. Oh boy in my (admittedly newbie) opinion this sets off a lot of read flags. Mild shade on a player but nothing not easily retractable. Hints of PR hunting. Speculation and asking a question that makes it look like Sleeper is trying to advance the game, but it just hedges.

Let’s VOTE: SleeperSoul
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 am

Post by Apogee »

Re: GeneralWu and the “chainsaw” I’m conflicted because I’ve seen scum defend village for points but also, as I got pushed on for not doing last game, been told as a town if you see what you think is v/v early game you should try to defuse it. It will be interesting to see going forward how general interacts with pushes on players other than him later in the game and compare what motivations exist.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 130, Apogee wrote:My apologizes for not posting in a bit. Was up to other stuff yesterday and this morning. Reread up through now and am going to post a few initial thoughts. I hope to have some time to do closer to real time interactions with people this week, because I’m starting to think those are really useful for understanding where players are coming from.

Not to beat a mostly dead horse, but on the Agar/BM conflict I like how Agar put himself out there and started casing and pushing people. Yeah it’s aggressive, but he had no onus on him to try to make movement occur if he were scum. Mild townlean there
You're right he didn't have to do it, but I also think he expected a very different reaction from the one he got. 90% of the time there, I think he asserts himself as a town leader and could be able to influence lynches for a day or 2. So I definitely think scum-AGar would have a lot to gain by making that move. In contrast, why does town-AGar go to so much effort to make and over-sell a case on me which he admits is weak, and probably wouldn't achieve anything because he knows I wouldn't be easily rattled even if I was scum.

I think the test will probably be to see whether he can climb down from it easily enough, in which case he could be gung-ho town. Or if he can't, then maybe he's scum outta ideas and just going to beat that dead horse for a while for consistency.
Show

Nightkilled - 10

gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

I will catchup tonight
Station 13, is now taking pre-ins! Coming June 2020
SleeperSoul
SleeperSoul
Goon
SleeperSoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Post by SleeperSoul »

There has to be scum between AGar and BM. I'm leaning towards BM being scum.

With that out of the way, we should be focusing on players that haven't been pushing the game forwards so much or making themselves readable.
SleeperSoul
SleeperSoul
Goon
SleeperSoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Post by SleeperSoul »

@Freddiethelady:

I hardly have any read on you, other than a slight scum read from lack of any content. What do you think of Apogee's vote on me?

@gobbledygook:

Same to you, but you have an excuse.
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Post by Apogee »

In post 136, SleeperSoul wrote:@Freddiethelady:

I hardly have any read on you, other than a slight scum read from lack of any content. What do you think of Apogee's vote on me?

@gobbledygook:

Can I hear from you what you think of my vote on you?
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Post by Apogee »

In post 133, Battle Mage wrote:
In post 130, Apogee wrote:My apologizes for not posting in a bit. Was up to other stuff yesterday and this morning. Reread up through now and am going to post a few initial thoughts. I hope to have some time to do closer to real time interactions with people this week, because I’m starting to think those are really useful for understanding where players are coming from.

You're right he didn't have to do it, but I also think he expected a very different reaction from the one he got. 90% of the time there, I think he asserts himself as a town leader and could be able to influence lynches for a day or 2. So I definitely think scum-AGar would have a lot to gain by making that move. In contrast, why does town-AGar go to so much effort to make and over-sell a case on me which he admits is weak, and probably wouldn't achieve anything because he knows I wouldn't be easily rattled even if I was scum.

I think the test will probably be to see whether he can climb down from it easily enough, in which case he could be gung-ho town. Or if he can't, then maybe he's scum outta ideas and just going to beat that dead horse for a while for consistency.

Interesting theory -- I suppose I am less confident in both that he could actually assert himself and that he thought he could assert himself than you are. I mean I don't want to speak for why he would do it but like this game wasn't moving hardly at all until then so it served at least one town-motivated goal there.

Not entirely sure what you mean with the climbing down and tied to gung-ho town, but yeah there is a week left in D1 certainly time enough to reevaluate slots if necessary.
SleeperSoul
SleeperSoul
Goon
SleeperSoul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by SleeperSoul »

In post 137, Apogee wrote:Can I hear from you what you think of my vote on you?
Sure. I don't mind your vote on me. I think you're picking up on my over-eagerness to move the game forward.

I am having a general feeling throughout this game that everything is moving too slowly. But this is my first forum mafia game. So I think I just need to get used to the pace of forum mafia.

Also... I haven't addressed the following because I wasn't sure how useful it would be to bring... But I have been somewhat holding back my reads this entire game. Up until now I ~feel~ like the general consensus has been that I'm obviously town. I have a (silly?) fear that by revealing my reads, mafia will know which of them is under the most danger. I do have a tendency towards tinfoil hattery...

I can see how your vote on me is probably coming from a town perspective. I was about to ping you for reads like I did freddie and GG, but your vote on me gave me a slight town read on you. So I pinged the remaining players who I have no real reads on.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 135, SleeperSoul wrote:There
has to be
scum between AGar and BM. I'm leaning towards BM being scum.

With that out of the way, we should be focusing on players that haven't been pushing the game forwards so much or making themselves readable.
On the contrary, TvT is
possible
- and I'm always wary of people who play the "one of them must be scum" card without committing to a vote.

FoS: Sleepersoul
Show

Nightkilled - 10

gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 am

Post by gobbledygook »

I think Agar is town. Still catching up though.
Station 13, is now taking pre-ins! Coming June 2020
votato
votato
Mafia Scum
votato
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:37 am

Post by votato »

In post 141, gobbledygook wrote:I think Agar is town. Still catching up though.
based on what?
"It is not our ignorance that will kill us, but our arrogance"
"I expect that 90% of what you say to me is one form of trickery or another" - a friend irl
Freddiethelady
Freddiethelady
Goon
Freddiethelady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:58 am

Post by Freddiethelady »

In post 136, SleeperSoul wrote:@Freddiethelady:

@gobbledygook:

GG and I aren't the only ones who haven't been posting a lot. the average post is 14.4 right now with me being at 9 posts - thats low but all the players with the exceptions of BM and midway have posted lower than the average. why only call us out?

apogee talks about how he likes that Agar puts himself out there by casing and pushing people in post . is that sheeping? or is that a newbit trying to learn and imitate something that makes sense to him? cause i've done that and been accused of sheeping when i was just trying to imitate. i guess that's up to me to decide so to answer your question sleeper, im a long way off from establishing which it is. am i missing alternative options?
Freddiethelady
Freddiethelady
Goon
Freddiethelady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:09 am

Post by Freddiethelady »

In post 103, Battle Mage wrote: Haha, I feel vindicated!
I literally made this same argument when I first saw these questions too, don't worry!
I recall somebody here had read the game in question, so they can presumably vouch for me on that. :lol:
I'm assuming someone else made up this list in a game you played in, right? if so, what were the results? was it possible to see if it was more helpful to town or scum? you also said it was interesting to see who took the post seriously and who didn't. why did you say that?

sorry to bring this back up but it just occurred to me that it might be helpful for the future
Freddiethelady
Freddiethelady
Goon
Freddiethelady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 am

Post by Freddiethelady »

In post 135, SleeperSoul wrote:There has to be scum between AGar and BM. I'm leaning towards BM being scum.

why out of the two did you select BM as scum?
Freddiethelady
Freddiethelady
Goon
Freddiethelady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 am

Post by Freddiethelady »

In post 142, votato wrote:
In post 141, gobbledygook wrote:I think Agar is town. Still catching up though.
based on what?
gg, im interested in your answer also.
votato
votato
Mafia Scum
votato
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:36 am

Post by votato »

In post 135, SleeperSoul wrote:There has to be scum between AGar and BM. I'm leaning towards BM being scum.

why does there have to be scum there? is there no chance that its TvT?
"It is not our ignorance that will kill us, but our arrogance"
"I expect that 90% of what you say to me is one form of trickery or another" - a friend irl
Apogee
Apogee
Goon
Apogee
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 am

Post by Apogee »

In post 139, SleeperSoul wrote: Also... I haven't addressed the following because I wasn't sure how useful it would be to bring... But I have been somewhat holding back my reads this entire game. Up until now I ~feel~ like the general consensus has been that I'm obviously town. I have a (silly?) fear that by revealing my reads, mafia will know which of them is under the most danger. I do have a tendency towards tinfoil hattery...

I'm stewing on the rest of your post, and would like to hear other's takes on how it sounds, but I wanted to address this specifically.

This is an exact trap I fell into my first game here (Newbie 2003) where two people townleaned me in the first few pages and then I didn't put my cards out there. This lead to both town and scum then pushing on me, and I had to argue myself out of that hole. Don't do this. Share what you have, for a few reasons. With 7 townies, someone is almost certainly going to scumread a mafia at some point. It's unlikely the maf are going to just shoot you instantly if you happened to scumread one. And like if you don't share your reads with the rest of us, we a) might miss something important about the mafia, and b) will be suspicious of you. Generally, being hesitant to give reads is not going to make you look good to us.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:48 am

Post by Micc »

"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo