New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am

Post by Umlaut »

Serious question (meaning I genuinely don't know the answer): is "hang" permitted?

I'm not interested in opening a debate here on whether it
should
be permitted, just asking whether it
is
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am

Post by Ircher »

Lyncher and Unlyncher are semi-common roles in Great/Grand Idea games and bastard themes. What words should we replace them with?
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

Post by Creature »

In post 256, Enter wrote:
In post 252, Creature wrote:
In post 0, zoraster wrote:For mods: you must use a verb or noun other than "lynch" for your rules and for moderator communications. If it is in your current ruleset, change it.
I'd open an exception for games with direct medieval/Salem flavor.
Or pirates. Or wild west. Turns out "lynching" was used for a lot of things that had nothing to do with race.
Yeah, pretty much. But they want to bigotry charge every single word in the Oxford dictionary, so...
Sigh
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3, Equinox wrote:
In post 2, DkKoba wrote:I suggest the word "hang" as a replacement.
This is not to step on the list moderators' toes, as I am posting as a user right now: hanging is a notorious means of lynching, so it will carry the same racially charged connotation.
green shirt thursdays
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 275, Umlaut wrote:Serious question (meaning I genuinely don't know the answer): is "hang" permitted?

I'm not interested in opening a debate here on whether it
should
be permitted, just asking whether it
is
Who knows, but I feel like there’s gonna be a lot of giggling over mods accidentally saying that certain players are hung
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Creature »

In post 276, Ircher wrote:
Lyncher and Unlyncher are semi-common roles in Great/Grand Idea games and bastard themes. What words should we replace them with?
Prosecutor and lawyer?
Sigh
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 270, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 264, T-Bone wrote:Yeah that's fine. We did make it E-X in the Newbie queue, but you do you.
I feel like an official sitewide stance on this would be better, if only because new people are either going to be confused about why there are two different terms for it, or they'll figure it out and then probably have an uninformed opinion on it.

That said, I also think L-X is better because it is standard and sounds nicer and is justifiable as L being short for eliminate. But of course if an official announcement suggested E-X I would use that for consistency's sake.
We are standardizing a lot of terms around 'eliminate' but we also recognize that shorthanded terms are probably going to be developed with the new site culture over time. For example until TemporalLich mentioned that another mafia site that made this same change shortens it to 'Lim'...that term never occurred to me until he mentioned it. It will probably take some time for site culture to settle around new shorthand terminology for 'eliminate'.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 274, Menalque wrote:I will be using the flavour “guillotined”’ in any games I may run in the future
/pre in to all future games
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

Post by Nahdia »

Will be using execute. I like the sound of MxLo and ExLo.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 283, Nahdia wrote:Will be using execute. I like the sound of MxLo and ExLo.
ooooh this is good.
green shirt thursdays
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

Post by Enter »

In post 269, Ginngie wrote:
In post 265, Enter wrote:This doesn't explain why I haven't heard anyone say it about my best friends.
allow my family to introduce themselves
I get that people have shitty families. I get that people use slurs. I get that stereotypes are a thing. That sucks. Racism and sexism
suck.
Every view that supports one human being over another is bullshit. But if you make everything about how shit sucks, you're just gonna spend your entire life thinking about how much shit sucks. I'd rather come home from work every day and yell at someone over the internet about how they're misrepresenting my argument and how they have no fucking clue how to do a VCA, than come home from work where everyone is spending all their time talking about how much the world sucks right now, and when I try to relax and get away from it all, I instead get more reminders that the world sucks right now shoved into my face.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Are you suggesting that there's any possible role that would sound more badass than "Eliminator"?

In all seriousness, I think borrowing ToS's "executioner" is fine, and "anti-executioner" is probably also OK? But of course, the mod can use whatever substitute they think makes the most sense, as long as they're clear about it.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 278, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 3, Equinox wrote:
In post 2, DkKoba wrote:I suggest the word "hang" as a replacement.
This is not to step on the list moderators' toes, as I am posting as a user right now: hanging is a notorious means of lynching, so it will carry the same racially charged connotation.
This seems like an opinion on whether it should be allowed, rather than a statement on whether it is.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 284, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 283, Nahdia wrote:Will be using execute. I like the sound of MxLo and ExLo.
ooooh this is good.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Post by brassherald »

Can we stop having bad faith arguments that just because a word didn't always have racial connotations it means that we can use it freely? It is currently assigned a heavily racial connotation. End of story, doesn't matter that it hasn't always, it matters that it does now and has a history of being used this way.

We all know the noose in the Nascar garage was racial and we all know why and that's why we should be removing it from the site.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Post by T-Bone »

We're discussing that. We'll probably make that decision in the Wiki thread with the Wiki team (I linked it in post #1). As we'll want to have it replaced on the wiki at some point.

Personally, a suggestion in this thread earlier of 'condemn' is getting my vote for 'Condemner'
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 289, brassherald wrote:Can we stop having bad faith arguments that just because a word didn't always have racial connotations it means that we can use it freely?
Probably not
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 285, Enter wrote:when I try to relax and get away from it all, I instead get more reminders that the world sucks right now shoved into my face.
Yeah...

That's why "lynch" is being replaced.

Because, you know, it serves as such a reminder for some people.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 286, Something_Smart wrote:
Are you suggesting that there's any possible role that would sound more badass than "Eliminator"?

In all seriousness, I think borrowing ToS's "executioner" is fine, and "anti-executioner" is probably also OK? But of course, the mod can use whatever substitute they think makes the most sense, as long as they're clear about it.
Ideally, we'd find terms that dk not conflict with preexisting roles. While Grand Idea isn't perfectly consistent (people re-use names for different stuff), it does bring more clarity if they do not have conflicting definitions.

I found only one hit for executioner in Grand Idea, so that might work.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 am

Post by Enter »

In post 289, brassherald wrote:Can we stop having bad faith arguments that just because a word didn't always have racial connotations it means that we can use it freely? It is currently assigned a heavily racial connotation. End of story, doesn't matter that it hasn't always, it matters that it does now and has a history of being used this way.

We all know the noose in the Nascar garage was racial and we all know why and that's why we should be removing it from the site.
The only heavy racial connotation associated with the word "lynch" is the one applied to it by sheltered (largely white) social justice warriors who want to promote some form of change in the world and can't figure out how to do it, so instead of just trying to be good, understanding human beings who try to hold themselves to a high standard and lead by example, they victimize themselves and minorities and put the blame on the way people speak.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

executioner vs guardian
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 292, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 285, Enter wrote:when I try to relax and get away from it all, I instead get more reminders that the world sucks right now shoved into my face.
Yeah...

green shirt thursdays
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by Nahdia »

In post 294, Enter wrote:
In post 289, brassherald wrote:Can we stop having bad faith arguments that just because a word didn't always have racial connotations it means that we can use it freely? It is currently assigned a heavily racial connotation. End of story, doesn't matter that it hasn't always, it matters that it does now and has a history of being used this way.

The only heavy racial connotation associated with the word "lynch" is the one applied to it by sheltered (largely white) social justice warriors who want to promote some form of change in the world and can't figure out how to do it, so instead of just trying to be good, understanding human beings who try to hold themselves to a high standard and lead by example, they victimize themselves and minorities and put the blame on the way people speak.
The sheltered one is you.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 292, Something_Smart wrote:
Yeah...

Who?

I guarantee this didn't start because someone said "lynch" offends me. It started because someone on site decided that for someone else because it's easier to put the blame on something easy like a word and solve that for them than it is to accept that sometimes the best you can do about a problem is be a good person and treat people how you'd like to be treated.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 285, Enter wrote:But if you make everything about how shit sucks, you're just gonna spend your entire life thinking about how much shit sucks.
I wish people impacted by racism and sexism had the same ability to just stop caring about it, bud
relax and get away from all that racism and sexism you feel
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided

Return to “News”