New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1100 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:10 am

Post by T-Bone »

We have heard people who would prefer lynch remains. We are still making the change. If you have questions about what that change will look like, those are appropriate posts, please do so, I am watching the thread for those questions! Opining about not making the change or wanting the decision reversed, or some combination thereof, are not really appropriate at this point. We know a tiny number of people oppose this change. We have heard the feedback, we even anticipated hearing that kind of feedback, but we've made the decision anyway to remove lynch from our mafia vocabulary.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1101 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 am

Post by Hiraki »

In post 1099, Creature wrote:with constant word policing.
next month we're changing the word vote, i can't wait to see how up and arms you'll be then
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1102 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 am

Post by Creature »

In post 1098, Ythan wrote:
In post 1097, Creature wrote:
In post 1090, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Why are you still opposed again?
It is not the most practical and exceptions should be made for setups involving a setting that uses lynch for non-racial reasons.
But this is a dumb fucking argument that you've yet to support.
In post 256, Enter wrote:
In post 252, Creature wrote:
In post 0, zoraster wrote:For mods: you must use a verb or noun other than "lynch" for your rules and for moderator communications. If it is in your current ruleset, change it.
I'd open an exception for games with direct medieval/Salem flavor.
Or pirates. Or wild west. Turns out "lynching" was used for a lot of things that had nothing to do with race.
Does it make pirate books less enjoyable because they used the word "lynch"?
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1103 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 am

Post by Creature »

In post 1100, T-Bone wrote:We have heard people who would prefer lynch remains. We are still making the change. If you have questions about what that change will look like, those are appropriate posts, please do so, I am watching the thread for those questions! Opining about not making the change or wanting the decision reversed, or some combination thereof, are not really appropriate at this point. We know a tiny number of people oppose this change. We have heard the feedback, we even anticipated hearing that kind of feedback, but we've made the decision anyway to remove lynch from our mafia vocabulary.
Can there still be exceptions if the theme kinda involves the term?
Sigh
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1104 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 am

Post by Ythan »

A dumb fucking argument that you've yet to support.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1105 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 1099, Creature wrote:I can't grasp why they wouldn't feel welcome just because of a word that isn't even used for racial reasons.
Then you obviously don't understand the Black experience as well as you think you do. I suggest you expand your circle of friends.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1106 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 1103, Creature wrote:
In post 1100, T-Bone wrote:We have heard people who would prefer lynch remains. We are still making the change. If you have questions about what that change will look like, those are appropriate posts, please do so, I am watching the thread for those questions! Opining about not making the change or wanting the decision reversed, or some combination thereof, are not really appropriate at this point. We know a tiny number of people oppose this change. We have heard the feedback, we even anticipated hearing that kind of feedback, but we've made the decision anyway to remove lynch from our mafia vocabulary.
No.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1107 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am

Post by AGar »

I think the answer is pretty clearly, unequivocally... no.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1108 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am

Post by AGar »

Dammit I got sniped and nothing in p-edit.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1109 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:16 am

Post by Creature »

In post 1106, T-Bone wrote:
No.
Damn, mobkill sounds really lame.
Sigh
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1110 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am

Post by T-Bone »

Get rekt Agar

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1111 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am

Post by AGar »

In post 1110, T-Bone wrote:A
g
ar
The disrespect.

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1112 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 am

Post by Creature »

In post 1105, kuribo wrote:
In post 1099, Creature wrote:I can't grasp why they wouldn't feel welcome just because of a word that isn't even used for racial reasons.
Then you obviously don't understand the Black experience as well as you think you do. I suggest you expand your circle of friends.
I could, but I'd still likely not find anyone with a problem over this word unless I searched inner specific circles.
Sigh
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1113 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 am

Post by Davsto »

the "all other words are less practical" or "changing it is political" arguments both share the same fatal flaw of only being true if the word doesn't affect you personally. For anyone bothered by the word lynch or even using it in public due to its connotations - which I think this thread has established is a perfectly big number of people - it is neither the most practical option nor apolitical to keep it.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #1114 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 1112, Creature wrote:
I could, but I'd still likely not find anyone with a problem over this word unless I searched inner specific circles.
So you want to not be considered racist but you're making the argument that it would be too much trouble to make Black friends, got it
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1115 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I’ve been using execution in the games I mod for years in place of it.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1116 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 am

Post by Starbuck »

In post 66, Battle Mage wrote:
In post 41, Annadog40 wrote:
In post 38, Battle Mage wrote:good move, although will take a bit of getting used to! Maybe we could just removing the killing altogether and say:

"Player X fled"?
lore wise, i'd be incentivized to get voted up since I wouldn't risk death unlike with the mafia.
You're right...maybe the Mafia can just "remove from the town", rather than killing! :giggle:

Non-violent mafia is what we want!
You have hereby been ostracized!

In post 87, panthaleon wrote:I'm actually pretty down with getting rid of cop as a word. Detective is far better suited
+1

We can roll the way the British do with like "Detective Inspector" or some such. Sorry, I rewatched Broadchurch recently and just finished Scott and Bailey on Amazon Prime.
In post 107, Clair wrote:
In post 47, panthaleon wrote:I'm also happy for the people of color who might have otherwise been put off my the candor with which we use traditionally racialized violence as part of a game :)
This attitude is actually racist. I know many black people who play mafia and are, in fact, smart enough to disassociate the word "lynch" from fear of actually being lynched. I think they can speak for themselves, for and against this change, without being imagined as fragile people who need words put into their mouths.
You're also discounting those who might not speak up about it. Being inclusive and thinking about what words might hurt folks is inherently anti-racist. You're effectively using the "I have a black friend" argument which speaks to privilege. Just because your friends aren't offended doesn't mean others aren't.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1117 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:29 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1112, Creature wrote:
Eyyy we got there. Mask off racism.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1118 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 1113, Davsto wrote:For anyone bothered by the word lynch or using it in public due to its connotations, which I think this thread has established is a perfectly big number of people
For the record, I still don’t care about what word I use.
But perhaps, maybe those people “suddenly” became bothered by it ONLY because they were introduced to evidence that suggested its bad, and they were given a platform to express that and eliminate anyone who disagrees because if they disagree then they must be racist.
GTKAS
| here.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1119 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

In post 107, Clair wrote:
In post 47, panthaleon wrote:I'm also happy for the people of color who might have otherwise been put off my the candor with which we use traditionally racialized violence as part of a game :)
This attitude is actually racist. I know many black people who play mafia and are, in fact, smart enough to disassociate the word "lynch" from fear of actually being lynched. I think they can speak for themselves, for and against this change, without being imagined as fragile people who need words put into their mouths.
This is also mask off racism.

"YOU'RE THE ACTUAL RACIST FOR CONSIDERING BLACK PEOPLE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND WE DON'T MEAN LYNCH IN A BAD WAY. I KNOW LOTS OF BLACK PEOPLE".

Like holy shit, you could go dye your hair blonde and work for Fox News with a take this bad.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1120 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 am

In post 1118, Alisae wrote:
In post 1113, Davsto wrote:For anyone bothered by the word lynch or using it in public due to its connotations, which I think this thread has established is a perfectly big number of people
For the record, I still don’t care about what word I use.
But perhaps, maybe those people “suddenly” became bothered by it ONLY because they were introduced to evidence that suggested its bad, and they were given a platform to express that and eliminate anyone who disagrees because if they disagree then they must be racist.
haha i'm not racist i am just a nihilist

... unless?

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1121 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am

Post by Alisae »

LLD, is it okay to gun down people in the streets if you think they're racist?
Last edited by Alisae on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
GTKAS
| here.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1122 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am

In post 339, JamSV wrote:While we're at it
I have the following suggestions
The word "wagon" should no longer be used, when black people were slaves in the US, they'd use wagons to carry stuff. Ergo it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The word "bus" should no longer be used, Rosa Park sat on the bus. Ergo using it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The Tracker role, should be removed. It may upset victims of stalking.
Execution / similar is also not acceptable, during the Holocaust, and still in many places in the world today, people were executed by firing squad, this may upset people.
Voting should also be removed, in America democracy doesn't always work ie Trump 2016 or Bush 2004. This will make people young innocent people to believe democracy exists, thus upsetting people.
Mafia the name, should also be removed, there have been many victims to the Mafia, especially in places like Italy. Don't be xenophobic and upset Italians who may have suffered!
FoS should also be removed! Pointing at people may trigger anxiety!!
Throughout many years many were killed by Ninja. Do you want to upset the Japanese or the fortnite players?!?!
Strongman should be changed to strongperson or strongthing! You don't want to upset people! Not only men can be strong!
Similar to tracker, watcher should be removed! For victims of stalking and voyeur stuff!
Beloved Princess isn't gender neutral!
Bomb should be removed as a role for the vets out there and the refugees!
Godfather, of course changed to godparent.
Hooker!!!! How dare you portray women as sexual objects with that word!!
Judas??? We aren't all from christian majority countries. This is not okay!!
Paranoid as a role modifier? Are we making fun of people with anxiety?
Virgin sexualises people!!

This ^ is all nonsense. Grow up. I'm not going to stop using Lynch. Either we ban everything incase we upset people, or we ban nothing. If we only ban stuff which upsets the black community, you're saying every other community hasn't suffered or they're suffering is invalid. It's disgusting, your attempt to be woke has shown just how much you hate races which aren't black.
This topic and new rule is baloney.

My friend's cousin's mum's dog's walker's mum's friend unfortunately committed suicide by noose. It's not much to go off but seeing it reminds me that people suffer, and that I should be doing what I can to help people. Removing it will negatively impact my gameplay.

^ obviously bullshit.
I encourage a lot of you to go join the "Im 14 and this is deep" reddit page. You'll feel at home.
In post 340, Ythan wrote:Lol who the fuck are you.
I never realized how much I needed you in my life again Ythan.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1123 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am

In post 1121, Alisae wrote:LLD, is it okay to gun down people in the streets if you think racist?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1124 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 1121, Alisae wrote:LLD, is it okay to gun down people in the streets if you think racist?
Yeah, the racists are the ones getting gunned down in the streets right now...
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.

Return to “News”