Lady 8
Goon
Lady 8
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2476 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Post by Lady 8 »

In post 2474, Lady 7 wrote:
In post 2472, Lady 8 wrote:i just want someone to be scummy so I can have at least one scumread
Do you ever play a game about lies and deception, but you struggle because you assume everyone acts out of good faith?
I feel you ghost, I feel you.
;'(

I feel like whenever I have scumreads it's just me looking at the two out of thirty people that I don't townread and imagining what they're doing if they're scum, and then kinda accusing them of doing that when in reality I'm just conf biased cause I started with the premise of them being scum rather than looking at it objectively

it's total bull, I tell you!!

At least, early game scumreads are like that anyway. Lategame stuff usually clicks better.
Beauty fades. That is why it is beautiful.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2477 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

hi everyone I had some stuff today but am here.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2478 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2276, Lady 7 wrote:But he is pushing this pairing thing which feels to some level inconsistent but he is explaining it in a way where I wouldn't be that suprised if he believed what he was saying even if I think it's wrong.

But he was also the fastest pair in the game while making this argument. Idk I feel a level of inconsistency throughout his posts that I just don't like. He was also playing rather tactically around the 1 flipped scum although that could have been a mistake I guess.
the key thing you repeatedly mention here is inconsistency? Can you elaborate why its inconsistent/which parts.

I also think I addressed the playing "tactically" around G7, but Idk why you are unhappy with it.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2479 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2293, Lady 4 wrote:
In post 2186, Lady 1 wrote:I'm just gonna sit on the only pair I feel some amount of confidence in even if no one will join me
VOTE: Gent 3/Lady 6
pedit: Okay
I actually would vote on this but I feel stronger elsewhere
In post 2294, Lady 4 wrote:If a G9/L3 wagon revs up I'll be all over that too
This seems like an inconsistent set of reads? People seem to be for one or the other, so where do you stand and why are you for both? Do you think the two pairs are independently scummy?
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2480 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:32 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2302, Lady 4 wrote:G8-L5
G1-L7
G5-L8
G6-L1
G3-L6
G9-L3
G4-L2

Like this probably? I'm not really TRing L5 but I don't want to deal with the IC pair rn
My middle is very close together
This readlist is kinda shady... in that the top town read is not a town read, "middle is together" and by previous she's willing to vote G3-L3 downwards. There's really no gradient to the reads .
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2481 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2332, Lady 8 wrote:I keep a close watch over my man, do not worry!! We actively discuss whatever he's probing in the thread and come to conclusions together! He also makes comments on things that coincide with my first thoughts on them, as well

Gent 1 and 6 are slots we're very curious about as well, in addition to Gent 4

I agree that philosophy wise I agree with a lot of Gent 9's arguments... but he's taking that disagreement with people a step further kind of in determining their alignments. I think Gent 3 is town and there's a fairly good chance there's scum on the other side attacking him, but I don't think it's Lady 1-- my first guess would be Gent 9. Agree Lady 3 is town
hi two comments

1 - Is this your way of saying that you suspect the three gentlemen? Or that you have discussed them

2 - did you misunderstand the setup as well until I pointed out/at any point? I don't see why you would agree with my arguments otherwise. This is not consistent with L6 and L7 and L3 in which they forcefully pointed out that they don't agree with me at all. And if you agree with my arguments then why do you gradually scumread me more and more as the day went on?
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2482 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2334, Gentleman 8 wrote:
In post 2332, Lady 8 wrote:I think that scum wouldn't want to be partnered together
verifiably incorrect assumption, by the way

(it entirely depends on the players though)
this is the post in which I read the rules btw. i was trying to see older games, and figured i wanted to see whether the world "lynch" was used.
Gentleman 6
Gentleman 6
Goon
Gentleman 6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2483 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Post by Gentleman 6 »

In post 2458, Lady 7 wrote:I am waiting for the G6.Anime catch up now since he was my other scum read I've been waiting on.
Hi.

I accidentally went from "Snuggle the wife asleep, there's NO WAY I'll fall asleep with her" to "Oh fucking hell it's 2AM and you need to go catch up, wake the fuck up idiot" thoughts.

So here I am. I wanted to start by outlining my current townblock, in forms of a tierlist. Along with deeply passionate cases for each. So I'll do that.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2484 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2335, Lady 8 wrote:No way you're voting Lady 6 with a straight face! Not to mention I don't even understand the reason!
Blanketing over I mean like turn a blind eye towards and making generalizations when it doesn't apply to a specific case. I don't understand why voting her is strange

What's the basis on your town read on L6?
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2485 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2340, Lady 3 wrote:bananas can you please be productive and help me make it happen rather than voting my hardtown.
i might just do this, I think
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2486 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2383, Gentleman 5 wrote:I'm following along with people who are saying that gent 9 is more likely to be town now
By following along do you mean agreeing?
In post 2387, Gentleman 4 wrote: I don't get why we are townreading G9 for assuming that there is only one vote out per dance. It seems consistent with his earlier philosophy that mafia want to pair with people that they can work well with, but I don't find it town indicative and it's more like it explains his earlier pushes. Still need to re-evaluate his slot as a whole, but that's what I'm thinking.
Tennisguy I feel like you have been flipping back and forth on me? On one hand I recall you were quick to defend me when G5 posted some inaccuracies and you called me town a couple of times, but now you say I need to be "re-evaluated". What's your stance and progression on my slot?
In post 2401, Lady 6 wrote: Uh no I took issue with the way he questioned G5 and G3 back in the pre-dance as well. I also never quite reconciled his ask of Misty with the rest of his actions.
Again, my ask of Misty was literally a spur of the moment decision. I haven't seriously thought about the game mechanics at all, but I figure asking is fun since our post collided with the same opinion. It was on page 4/5 after all.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2487 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

In post 2418, Lady 3 wrote:Idk if scum!dewgong tries to sell a townslip on a scum!g9 at this point in the game, it's a bus and play solo gamestate for her atm I think
hb consider the hypothetical that I'm town.
In post 2427, Gentleman 1 wrote:I can't really make that call until I get better context, but that's probably how I'm leaning based on the general reaction to it
The general reaction is that it made an impact (in fact so big that at L6 seal did a 180), so I'm not sure how L7's "just ignore it" should be leaned upon.
In post 2428, Lady 3 wrote:G9.bananas who is somewhat of a burner slot given my agency over it
wow thats so rude.
In post 2450, Lady 7 wrote:Why would scum go out of their way to correct that?
Unless you think that's something they would have brought up in the scum PT, which I just disagree with you on.
I just don't see scum playeres correcting scum buddies who make mistakes in thread inside their PTs, unless the mistake hurts the team overall.
The argument is whether the beliefs clear out the inconsistencies and sense in the argument, rather than whether the belief is alignment indicative.

In post 2472, Lady 8 wrote:i just want someone to be scummy so I can have at least one scumread
someone smart once told me not having scumreads is a scum problem. But given that we have a 14 town and 2 scum, I forgive you.
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2488 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

VOTE: salad
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2489 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

VOTE: L4 - G2
Gentleman 5
Gentleman 5
Goon
Gentleman 5
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2490 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Post by Gentleman 5 »

In post 2480, Gentleman 9 wrote:
In post 2302, Lady 4 wrote:G8-L5
G1-L7
G5-L8
G6-L1
G3-L6
G9-L3
G4-L2

Like this probably? I'm not really TRing L5 but I don't want to deal with the IC pair rn
My middle is very close together
This readlist is kinda shady... in that the top town read is not a town read, "middle is together" and by previous she's willing to vote G3-L3 downwards. There's really no gradient to the reads .
Why is that 'shady'?
Gentleman 9
Gentleman 9
Goon
Gentleman 9
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2491 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Post by Gentleman 9 »

If I had a readlist that has everyone at null is that shady?
Gentleman 6
Gentleman 6
Goon
Gentleman 6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2492 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Post by Gentleman 6 »

First off… I intend to treat each player individually, then go back and see what that makes the pairings look like.

I think trying to sort pairs in and of themselves as of yet is a trap. A very shiny trap, but a trap none the less. I’ll be going into details per tier next. What sucks is that even tier D isn't inherently a scum read. Just less town pinging. This game is really pleasant to the ears and eyes... such that I'm finding it hard to form reads from the opposite end.

Tier S+ “Uh, setup says Hi”

{Gent the 8th, Gent the 6th}

Tier S “If this person is not town, I really hope I’m not around to make endgame calls”

{Lady the 5th, Lady the 7th}

Tier A “I currently have no plans to vote here, barring major changes in game state”

{Gent the 9th, Lady the 6th, Lady the 3rd, Lady the 8th}

~~~~~~Line of Townblock Invitation~~~~~

Tier B “I have the desire to townblock and or nuzzle this person, with a few reservations that I’d love you all to help me with”

{Gent the 2nd, Lady the 1st, Gent the 1st}

Tier C “I have no plans to townblock this person, but I am open to hearing from others in A and S tiers about why I should change my opinions”

{Gent the 3rd, Gent the 5th, Gent the 4th}

Tier D “I find no reasons to put this person near a townblock”

{Lady the 4th, Lady the 2nd}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coloring townblock vs not Green vs Blue gives me...
Gentleman 9 - Lady 3

Gentleman 5
-
Lady 8

Gentleman 1
-
Lady 7

Gentleman 8 - Lady 5

Gentleman 3
-
Lady 6

Gentleman 6
-
Lady 1
Gentleman 4 - Lady 2
Gentleman 2 - Lady 4

As such, I believe 9-3 and 8-5 should be two of the three endgame pairings.

Ideally, we need one more SOLID pairing though. Time to start digging into specifics....
Gentleman 6
Gentleman 6
Goon
Gentleman 6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2493 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 pm

Post by Gentleman 6 »

Tier S+ “Uh, setup says Hi”
{Gent the 8th, Gent the 6th}

That's right, I'm going to actually towncase myself. I'd say "deal with it" but I suppose this one is gonna get skipped. Assuming you read literally nothing of the current-me's as town indicative, there's still one HUGE marker towards "The player who overwhelm-replaced is genuine in their inexperience and replace-out reasoning" that seems to be getting severely glossed over or flat out hasn't been considered yet.

That is to say... this global rule:
Spoiler:
Subject: A Gentle Reminder about Replacement Rules
Untrod Tripod wrote:
A Reminder of Replacement Rules:

Due to a recent uptick in reports regarding public discussion of replacements coupled with an influx of returning members, we would like to provide a brief reminder about the rule change as of April 2019 that we have made regarding replacements.
3. Replacements, while sometimes necessary, also serve as an outside influence. As such, do not tell other players to replace out. Do not publicly threaten to replace out of a game. If you do need to replace out, do not publicly discuss your reasons or anything else, as you are no longer a player in the game. PM your game moderator if you are considering replacing out or have concerns and believe another player should be replaced out.

4. Once a replace-out request has been made public by the moderator, the player replacing out is to stop posting in the game. The player is not allowed to replace back into the game or rescind their request. If a moderator wants to allow any deviation from these rules, it must be stated explicitly in their rule set.
We have been lenient with reminders/notifications instead of official warnings over the previous year as the site adjusted to these changes. This PSA serves as a public notification that we will not be lenient moving forward. To simplify things:

All
replacement requests (replacing in or replacing out) must be done via PM with your moderator. Once the moderator has acknowledged (publicly or privately) that your replace out request has been received, you may not rescind the request. There are no exceptions to this rule.
2. Telling other players to replace out is strictly prohibited.
3. Publicly threatening to replace out of a game is strictly prohibited.
4. After you have sent the replacement request to the mod, or the mod notifies you that you are being replaced, you may not post in the game thread.

This is not an attempt to prohibit replacing out of games. The purpose of this rule is to eliminate metagaming, whether it is by making threats of replacing out to create the impression of emotional distress or by telling someone to leave the game to do the same. As we have stated in other public announcements, mafia functions on a social contract. Faking out-of-game emotional reactions to manipulate other players is similar to faking out-of-game personal crises for the purpose of manipulation. We expect our players to treat each other with basic decency. Everyone is here to play a game. Social manipulation will take place within the context of the game. There is enough ugliness in the world already, let's not create more in this space for the purpose of a minor edge within a game at the expense of other's emotional well-being.

If a game moderator wishes to deviate from these rules, it
must
be explicitly stated in their rule set. Implications of a rule change do not count.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What if the game moderator force-replaces me but I want to replace back into the slot?
A: You must PM the moderator.

Q: What if it's in their rule set that I am allowed to replace back in if a replacement hasn't been found yet?
A: Unless their rule set explicitly states that you may post in the thread after you have been notified that you are being force-replaced, you may not post in the thread.

Q: What if someone is causing me real emotional distress?
A: If someone is creating a hostile environment in game, outside of the normal bounds of mafia, report their posts.

Any player that has been here for some time is going to be aware of this rule. Does an established or otherwise knowledgable player risk the global "no public replaces rule" JUST to replace out with towncred? I know I certainly can't sit here and say that such a trade would ever be worth it in my book.

And yet, here's my predecessor doing just that:
In post 269, Gentleman 6 wrote:I'm overwhelmed by the amount of posts and the alt names and I'm going to replace out, as opposed to struggling through this. I bit off more than I could chew (this is my second game), I need to ease into some micros or something before I try another large theme game. Good luck everyone, I hope everyone slays it (it being mafia) on the dance floor! Hopefully since we're only a few hours into the game, my replacement won't have too much trouble catching up.
Lady 3
Lady 3
Goon
Lady 3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2494 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Post by Lady 3 »

ngl I'm gonna numb my brain and avoid thinking about or rereading a playing-while-leaving replacement cause it's the dirty stuff and I prefer to try to earn cleaner wins
The enemy's low! Get 'em Starmie!
Lady 3
Lady 3
Goon
Lady 3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2495 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by Lady 3 »

Finding L8.ghost townier than g5.boromir is a spicy take I'd like hearing the reasoning for
Gentleman 6
Gentleman 6
Goon
Gentleman 6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2496 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm

Post by Gentleman 6 »

In post 2494, Lady 3 wrote:ngl I'm gonna numb my brain and avoid thinking about or rereading a playing-while-leaving replacement cause it's the dirty stuff and I prefer to try to earn cleaner wins
We live in reality, unfortunately.
Lady 3
Lady 3
Goon
Lady 3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2497 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Post by Lady 3 »

it's probably rough for you to be playing this game on what's frankly a
normal
schedule when a lot of it is getting played live/near live but contributing on reasoning for the pivotal possible endgame slots like L8 and G1 could really improve our win percent.

I think no matter what f6 and f4 looks like, there will be large piles of dead townies who ranked different pairings among them higher as Last Pairs

and what will make the difference is what the Reasons of the dead townies were
especially since this is a secret alt game I can't just sheep Alyssa
well that's not the only reason I can't just sheep Alyssa
inconsolable weeping
Lady 3
Lady 3
Goon
Lady 3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2498 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by Lady 3 »

i mean we can just avoid arguing about it and I can say L1cry has fallen below the threshhold I feel comfortable with endgaming due to her recent play so it's moot
Gentleman 6
Gentleman 6
Goon
Gentleman 6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2499 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by Gentleman 6 »

Tier S “If this person is not town, I really hope I’m not around to make endgame calls”
{Lady the 5th, Lady the 7th}

Firstly, to Lady the 5th.
Spoiler:
I think enough has been said about the way in which she approached pairing with the IC not as a forgone conclusion, but as a natural formation. That all bodes town. But to me, the biggest reasoning for this is a sense of flippancy that I get. This person is town, doesn't care what anyone thinks otherwise, and isn't afraid to show it. (I'd be talking about which players this reminds me of but that's main speculation, so I won't)

Post 581, in particular, is something I could have seen myself posting, about how apathy is an incredibly strong scum tool and people feeling like they'e on the outside is a terrible marker towards an eventual town win. 631 feels incredibly genuine frustration... I don't think mafia-L5 sits there and complains about the IC's attention.

I could go on, but I think this is is a near-global consensus so I won't~

Next, Lady the 7th.
Spoiler:
Coming right out the gate with setup optimal play discussion SHOULD technically be null, but I don't feel it is in this case. Had I been around in the opening, this is effectively the plan I would have posted or endorsed. It puts a lot of pressure on the confirmed town, but it also gives wiggle room to avoid a scum-scum pairing shenanigans. It is still technically what I hope for by the start of dance 2 phase, with two couples left of the initial 3-solve. If you take away the avatar and names for a second, I feel like post 24 is also something I could have typed out myself. And post 44 echoes me as well. I wouldn't normally put such stock in "oh this is posts I'd make" but literally nothing sense has given me anything but a sense of nodding along that this is a town slot with a capital T. Opining on other pairings super early (And outright telling them to reject it, cold blooded) also doesn't strike me as something scum-L7 has any reason to do. Just like Lady the 5th, nothing since those initial posts has been anything other than townposting.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”