Newbie 2031 - The Wild Hunt (End!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 am

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1-6

In a twinkling, moved from fairy ring through to an irregular but unnatural looking formation of unmarked stones in a forest, how can you not feel in the presence of magic and unseen forces? Where did the delightful, friendly dancers go? The forest is as dark as twilight, but a light shines ahead and above, illuminating a rough, root-broken staircase.

Satisfaction
(3): Egix96, ArthurConyl, Not Known 15
Bluebell
(2): ClarkBar, Satisfaction
ArthurConyl
(2): Mundivore, Noraa
ClarkBar
(1): Bluebell

Not Voting
(1): Redados

Not Voting
(0):
None.

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate.

Deadline: September 29, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2020-09-28 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

Searching for a replacement for Noraa
- :]
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Mundivore
Mundivore
Goon
Mundivore
Goon
Goon

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am

Post by Mundivore »

Satisfaction, can you elaborate on your suspicion of Bluebell? Or are you just trying to get them to be active?
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:06 am

Post by Satisfaction »

Both of the 2 wagons have successfully produced content. She is the darkest blind spot.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 186, Egix96 wrote:
In post 177, ClarkBar wrote:That NK15 didn't respond to criticism and unvote is a very good sign to me.
I can see how it's good for someone to stick to their guns, but how is not responding a good thing?
I find it more likely for town to stick by their vote after getting criticism for how/why it was placed than for scum to. If NK15 had said "oops didn't realize it was E-1 sorry" and had unvoted I would have seen their vote as potentially scum sheeping a vote to push a town wagon.
In post 186, Egix96 wrote:
In post 177, ClarkBar wrote:107: Yuck.
What's the problem with that post?
Having the suggestion of a civil tone being shot down like that rubs me the wrong way. Calling D1 accusations "low-key stupid" doesn't serve any purpose. And again, Noraa asking people to refrain from accusing of her of anything upsets me. It's a shame that she replaced out because this is a player that I'd like to push a little. There's a highly reactive and slightly threatening tone to some of her posting that strikes me as very anti-town. "Don't do this I hate this. This accusation is stupid" etc.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:03 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 184, Redados wrote:Since then, Mundivore hasn't posted, so the townread there is getting weaker.
I have come to learn that activity levels are not AI. These games can go for a while, and there will be peaks and valleys in activity. In my experience this stage we are in is the quietest. RVS is over, and usually there a a number of replacements. Relatively few so far in this game. RL issues can play a role too. If a lack of activity is upsetting anyone I will assure them that things
will
get moving. Sometimes it takes a single post to spark a significant change in the pace of the game.

@Redados, why would a lack of activity increase the chances of Mundivore being scum?
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 185, Redados wrote:I think that Satisfaction is town.
I'm inclined to agree.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 192, Mundivore wrote:Hey folks. I've been keeping up with the thread, but a bit busy/depressed and so haven't been posting much.
I feel you. I've been down in the dumps in a big way the past few weeks. Waiting for that to turn around.
In post 192, Mundivore wrote:Keeping track of who can be scumbuddies with who is a great way to narrow down scum. Basically Not Known wouldn't just slap Satisfaction with E-1 (or E-2, even if we take them at their word that they missed one of the votes). Scumteam analysis is the sort of thing that's pretty reliable compared to most scumhunting, and its value accumulates as the game goes on.
I agree with this completely. I usually ignore scum team speculation until there is hard data to work with, and that comes with flips. But...
In post 192, Mundivore wrote:So, for instance, I'm pretty comfortable saying that Satisfaction can't be scumteam with you or Not Known, and also that Not Known probably can't be scumteam with you (the probable in this case referring to the situation where Not Known legitimately missed your vote even when you were both scum... but I rate that at low odds).
I can see this line of reasoning.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am

Post by fferyllt »

the worst replaces Noraa! Please welcome him!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am

Post by the worst »

It's good to be back in feryland. Though I feel less elven this time
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am

Post by the worst »

In post 30, Mundivore wrote:secrets
assuming this is serious but banterous voting, I like Mundivore off pg1-2, slightly like redados and feel iffy about clarkbar.
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Redados »

In post 204, ClarkBar wrote:
In post 184, Redados wrote:Since then, Mundivore hasn't posted, so the townread there is getting weaker.
I have come to learn that activity levels are not AI. These games can go for a while, and there will be peaks and valleys in activity. In my experience this stage we are in is the quietest. RVS is over, and usually there a a number of replacements. Relatively few so far in this game. RL issues can play a role too. If a lack of activity is upsetting anyone I will assure them that things
will
get moving. Sometimes it takes a single post to spark a significant change in the pace of the game.

@Redados, why would a lack of activity increase the chances of Mundivore being scum?
I wasn't scumreading Mundivore for their lack of activity, I just felt weaker in my townread.

My initial read of Mundivore was on page six. I had them in my "town" group. I was asked to expand on that thinking fifty posts later, when a lot more people had posted but Mundivore had only posted one more time. On page six, when we were right out of RVS, I had my reads although they were definitely initial reads. Fifty posts later, I had developed my initial townread of Satisfaction into a stronger read. However, my initial townread on Mundivore could only be that: an initial read. When I said "the townread there is getting weaker", I meant that the townread there was still an intitial read, since I didn't have new information to base it off of. I could have phrased that better.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am

Post by ClarkBar »

Welcome TW, happy to be playing with you again.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am

Post by ClarkBar »

@Redados, gotcha regarding
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:37 am

Post by the worst »

In post 35, ArthurConyl wrote:
In post 7, Satisfaction wrote:Hello. My name is Satisfaction and I am town-aligned. Good luck and have fun.

@Clark I just finished reading Space. Tough break. Is there anything you wish you would have done differently in that game?

VOTE: Bluebell For Feryland!
That sounds a bit robotic/awkward to me. This is Satisfaction's first game, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Does sound like it could be a noob scum, I'd be suspicious if it wasn't his first game.
I feel like I should have an opinion on this comment and the way they back down from it shortly after. But if I did I'd be pretending and I'm too cool to pretend. So let's just say this is an interesting callout and I don't think they're scum together.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:39 am

Post by the worst »

In post 52, Mundivore wrote:Personally, I find this post is more AI to Arthur than it is Satisfaction. Maybe feels like fishing for an easy wagon. Very weak though. Measuring scummieness versus townieness on a scale from -100 to 100, I'd say I currently put Arthur at -2.
oh!!! yes I like you!!!!
I thought it was kinda startling that Arthur felt it was scummy but didn't feel compelled to vote it but then talked myself down because maybe Arthur just likes starting topics and then moving onto the next shiny thing. Who knows. I'm not magic.

Was there a reason you left your vote on Sati here rather than shifting to Arthur? If it's still fresh in your mind
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:46 am

Post by the worst »

In post 57, Bluebell wrote:Okay, catching up and starting. My apologies. And I still have to figure out an avatar. My townly pet rabbit had townista surgery and has needed a lot of townish care. So just getting to this right town, I mean right now. I guess I'll leave my affiliation a mystery. But it behooves me to say that Bluebell isn't such a silly name for Feryland. "Clarkbar" on the other hand... hmm.
VOTE: Clarkbar
This is so wholesome. Bluebell why did you pick Clark to vote here? It doesn't feel random
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 122, Redados wrote:
In post 121, Noraa wrote:nuuuu not meta. its so unfair if someone dies bc of something they did 2 games ago or whatever
You're playing super similarly to how you played in Newbie 2027. You were scum in Newbie 2027. I'm trying so hard to give you a blank slate here haha.

This is a weakness of mine for sure. In my first game, a player was scum. In my second game, that player played the same way and I tunneled on them and led their lim on day one; and it turned out they were town. So I'm going to try to be really conscious and upfront about my inability at times to separate players' alignments between games mentally.

I like using meta to get reads, but I feel that sometimes I use meta in order to justify my existing reads to myself rather than create new ones. Also meta can be super time-consuming if I'm reading through whole games that I didn't play in and it seems to me like it gives me diminishing returns.
agree enthusiastically with this - meta returns a really interesting dataset but i tend to find it more valuable from the perspective of "is this person capable of xyz as scum?"; "is this a natural place for their brain to go while solving the game?"; etc. rather than just murdering people for doing things they have done before as scum. you tend to get 'personality tells', rather than 'alignment tells'. :P

anyway i digress, and alight my soap box throne: what pinged you as scummy from noraa?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 160, Egix96 wrote:
In post 120, Redados wrote:
In post 118, Egix96 wrote:Sigh, I was hoping you wouldn't be like this after last time.
Want to fill everyone else in on what happened last time?
In Newbie 2005, I thought that NK15 was scum for a large part of the game. is not exactly a good look because I was hoping he could be a bit more responsible since then.
i have townread not known 15 once (1 time) in my entire career, and i got paranoid and miseliminated him in xylo

he's got a really unique playstyle, it's hard to get his alignment right and a lot of things which are quite natural for him at a personality level are "common scum tells".

yay meta~~~!
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:11 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 163, Not Known 15 wrote:Putting out your reads at E-1 is something you can expect from scum(but also from town). However, they have
found
too many things there. At this point, it is likely scum trying to find things to make comments about nearly everyone.
What's worse is that all they have posting since leaving E-1 is posting fluff. Looks like scum being relieved from having been at E-1 and assuming their wagon breaks down.
VOTE: Satisfaction
This is scum.
Vote it out.
i'm pretty lukewarm on this read, but i think nk15 believes it
Redados
Redados
Mafia Scum
Redados
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Post by Redados »

In post 216, the worst wrote:anyway i digress, and alight my soap box throne: what pinged you as scummy from noraa?
I have only played one game with Noraa and she was scum. She was super active and friendly but reacted to small things in ways that I didn't think made sense.

In this game I think that she was a little defensive and a little anti-town. I wouldn't say that I was necessarily scum-reading her though. Posts #100 and#107 were weirdly defensive. Also post #123 in terms of me discussing Noraa's meta.

In posts #134, #136, and #138, she and I were having a conversation and she wasn't really listening to me. That was a teeny bit frustrating.

Again, I wouldn't say that I was necessarily scum-reading her. I'm definitely open to looking at the slot with a blank slate.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Post by the worst »

gotcha. while i was reading up there were a couple of points where i was like "oh this is towny who said this-- oh it's {nora/now-me}" and i felt really sad so i thought you might have some exciting spicy reasoning for a super secret read

it's fine if you don't have the read tho just making conversation
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 211, ClarkBar wrote:Welcome TW, happy to be playing with you again.
you too my friend <3

quick lazy reads off read-up
town: {tw}
townread: {reda}
townlean: {mundi, sati, maybe nk15? i don't know help}
null: {egix, bbellz}
scumlean: {arthur, clark}

i'm p comfortable keeping my vote on arthur for the momentttttt
Bluebell
Bluebell
Townie
Bluebell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by Bluebell »

In post 215, the worst wrote:
In post 57, Bluebell wrote:Okay, catching up and starting. My apologies. And I still have to figure out an avatar. My townly pet rabbit had townista surgery and has needed a lot of townish care. So just getting to this right town, I mean right now. I guess I'll leave my affiliation a mystery. But it behooves me to say that Bluebell isn't such a silly name for Feryland. "Clarkbar" on the other hand... hmm.
VOTE: Clarkbar
This is so wholesome. Bluebell why did you pick Clark to vote here? It doesn't feel random
An "Oh, MaGUS vote" reflexively repudiating his rude derision of my appealing appellation (#6)
Bluebell
Bluebell
Townie
Bluebell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Post by Bluebell »

In post 201, Mundivore wrote:Satisfaction, can you elaborate on your suspicion of Bluebell? Or are you just trying to get them to be active?
Ahem, (Satisfaction)
because Egix96 is ever evasive...
VOTE: Egix96
Satisfaction
Satisfaction
Goon
Satisfaction
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Post by Satisfaction »

@Bluebell who is scum. who is town.