Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2625 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 2602, Menalque wrote:I could be slightly wrong here bc I didn’t follow that closely after I got banned but I don’t think it was his *actions* that falsely mechcleared him as it was bad setup spec, maybe S_S can help out on this tho, or lili herself?
You are correct.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2626 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:00 pm

In post 2612, Menalque wrote:My priority there would always be denying town the cop
The problem with doing this is then you pretty much have to claim cop. And skitter can tell you how well that goes :3
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2627 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Mena, do you know if skitter would be more open minded to lilith!town as town here? I can relate to the idea of knowing how to read someone and trusting your read in them 100%, but if there are other people in the game that also know how to read lilith, it doesn't make a
ton
of sense to hold on to the read this long right? Idk, we're getting into the problem of people knowing each other's meta better than me, and generally being better scumhunters, but I wanna know if I wrote skitter off as town too early. Especially if this is true:
In post 2616, Menalque wrote:normally you call out when people are TRing you for bad reasons but I don’t think I’ve seen you do that here
I think my reasons for TRing skitter were somewhat lazy tbh.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2628 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Post by petapan »

jailkeeper's a strong role and has obvious benefits for scum in acting as a roleblock while denying town a protective, it took me looking at 2 old games to find an instance of scum taking it high in the draft (pick number 2). i don't think the role selection is necessarily clearing and don't townread her on content but i'm getting the vote i want more right now.

kind of sort of feel like skitter would not pursue a target so singlemindedly as scum but that's more on the idea that most people would pivot off if it became clear it wasn't viable, don't have an idea if that thing would be in her wheelhouse or not
free crypto
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2629 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:30 pm

Post by petapan »

it is ~interesting~ that there is basically one wagon with no opposition but there is a big chunk of players right now that are passive to say the least. i like the people i'm voting with, though, even if they do not trust me
free crypto
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2630 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 2567, Menalque wrote:VOTE: dunn

this is de facto G-1 with NM in the game, let’s get an intent on dunn
Wtf is G
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2631 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Peta why does scum!lilith claim when she does? Also what happens if dunn is town and how likely do you think that is?
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2632 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:23 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 2626, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 2612, Menalque wrote:My priority there would always be denying town the cop
The problem with doing this is then you pretty much have to claim cop. And skitter can tell you how well that goes :3
yeah 2/10, would not recommend
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #2633 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:26 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 2536, Infinity 324 wrote:she's been really transparent and the interaction with mena during d2 felt really T/T to me
@mena @infinity this bit is why i don't feel like it's a super generic/bad townread on me
there's a bit more nuance here than just like generic ~super obvtown, has nuance~ etc

and i can understand objectively how someone might come to that conclusion about the me/mena interactions ^
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #2634 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:27 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 2628, petapan wrote:kind of sort of feel like skitter would not pursue a target so singlemindedly as scum but that's more on the idea that most people would pivot off if it became clear it wasn't viable, don't have an idea if that thing would be in her wheelhouse or not
it is, but i don't think i would be doing it here as scum
Show
Hiatus once more.

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #2635 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:27 am

Post by skitter30 »

VOTE: dave
Show
Hiatus once more.

Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2636 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:55 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 2630, Not_Mafia wrote:
In post 2567, Menalque wrote:VOTE: dunn

this is de facto G-1 with NM in the game, let’s get an intent on dunn
Wtf is G
Guillotine minus one
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2637 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:21 am

Post by davesaz »

I'm torn between following two basic principles.

One basic principle is that you don't pressure suspected TPRs because they have greater utility on average than non-PRs. Especially in a game like this, you give them room to operate.

The other basic principle works like "duck typing" in programming. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. Someone who isn't scumhunting, especially those making an effort to be present but not scumhunt, are typically scum. My gold standard for this is people either not expressing scumreads, or saying things about alignment opinions but never giving a real reason.

By the TPR principle I'm explicitly against pressuring the top 5-6 draft picks early in the game,
regardless of behavior
. They can be the last elims because the ones left standing are the ones most likely to be scum. If we have a doc we may get lucky and have more no-kill nights, extending the game to the point where a pure mechanical solve is possible. If we have 1-shots that are more useful the smaller the player list gets, we give them room and don't out them so that scum don't know who the real danger is.

By the not scumhunting principle, I'm being pinged by Dunnstral, Something_Smart, and Best Bird. 2/3 of those are especially annoying because people explicitly townread them for things that I would consider to be NAI at best and explicitly scumtells in most players. Not_Mafia will take his slot from a "weird but could be town" read straight to this category. The conflict between this principle and the TPR principle is obviously largest in Dunnstral.

I tend to SR people who don't acknowledge the TPR principle. Hoopla is a prime candidate for this award. I really don't give a shit what the numbers say about scum doubling or not doubling. The TPR principle overrides that. If you don't have an explicit reason to scumread a presumed TPR, you don't yeet them, period. One thing gives me pause here, and that's the "protect via suspecting" strategy. Scum will choose not to NK people that they think are easy miselims. I have to acknowledge that some players purposely "suspect" the players they have identified as likely TPRs so that scum won't kill them as universal town reads.

What this all boils down to is thinking for today (and possibly tomorrow) that we should eliminate either the soft guilty from N1 to rule it out, or an explicitly scummy or not scumhunting player from the later part of the draft. The only scenario that can actually burn us with this strategy is all 3 scum in the early part because they all picked low unique numbers and town got extremely unlucky to not double any of the scum low numbers. I'm not unwilling to eliminate Dunnstral because I can see him playing this way as scum, but I'm concerned about it being too early from a pure mechanical point of view.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2638 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Forcing scum to claim PR early is good.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2639 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:31 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 2637, davesaz wrote:By the TPR principle I'm explicitly against pressuring the top 5-6 draft picks early in the game, regardless of behavior.
*checks top 5-6 draft picks*

c o n v e n i e n t
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2640 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:34 am

Post by Menalque »

What role are you concerned dunn has that would be such a great loss here, Dave?

That’s also an awful lot of words to say “let’s do mena, Best Bird, or NM today”
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2641 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 am

Post by Menalque »

Like he could be cop, doctor, UB (so 1s PGO), or 1s watcher
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2642 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:37 am

Post by Menalque »

If he’s a cop then outing him gives us 2 innos, if he’s a doc then yeah be not ideal but basically any of the other roles are not so amazing that they’re likely to radically shift the balance of the game and none of them justify him playing like this
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2643 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:38 am

In post 2637, davesaz wrote:Not_Mafia will take his slot from a "weird but could be town" read straight to this category.
If you know this is going to happen, doesn't it make it NAI?
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2644 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 am

Post by davesaz »

Talking about it at all helps scum. Nice job.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #2645 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 am

Post by skitter30 »

we all like collectively have ignored the possibility of 1s commuter being the reason the kill went missing n1, i'm noting

i'm not super vibing dave!scum tbh but idk where to vote rn
Show
Hiatus once more.

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #2646 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 am

Post by skitter30 »

VOTE: hoopla let's try this
Show
Hiatus once more.

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2647 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 am

In post 2637, davesaz wrote:I tend to SR people who don't acknowledge the TPR principle. Hoopla is a prime candidate for this award.
You literally just saw her do this as town though, so whether you agree or disagree with it, it shouldn't have a bearing on her alignment.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2648 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:41 am

In post 2638, Infinity 324 wrote:Forcing scum to claim PR early is good.
But forcing town to claim PR early is bad.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2649 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:42 am

In post 2645, skitter30 wrote:we all like collectively have ignored the possibility of 1s commuter being the reason the kill went missing n1, i'm noting
I did so because commuter has literally never been successfully taken in any run of this setup before.

Return to “Completed Open Games”