They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #4275 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Post by DkKoba »

that applies to roles not what room everyone is going to lol
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4276 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

Also I'm not sure there's an argument to be made the claim helped scum that much either considering cake ended up with me but still didn't kill me
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4277 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Post by DkKoba »

if u cant understand the distinction people make psychologically then idk what to tell u

im speaking from the PoV of average mafia player who doesn't assume the mod gave scum every tool in the universe to stop town.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4278 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4276, MURDERCAT wrote:Also I'm not sure there's an argument to be made the claim helped scum that much either considering cake ended up with me but still didn't kill me
yeah the claims actually prevent scum from doing multikills because we KNOW they're there for sure. it harmed the alternative win con but prevented extra kill power
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4279 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Post by DkKoba »

already explained but town sees: mafia can get extra kills if alone with another town

town reacts: oh fuck we need to claim what room we're going to so scum can't do this for free
retired
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4280 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 4279, DkKoba wrote:already explained but town sees: mafia can get extra kills if alone with another town

town reacts: oh fuck we need to claim what room we're going to so scum can't do this for free
^^^^
GTKAS
| here.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4281 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 4279, DkKoba wrote:already explained but town sees: mafia can get extra kills if alone with another town

or town could use their very powerful brains to assume scum have been balanced to *actually utilize the core mechanic of the game*

you know, i made this exact argument like, first thing this game
it wasn't very hard
i didn't have to overclock the old noggin to get it done
i just applied the tiniest amount of critical thinking
green shirt thursdays
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4282 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Post by Alisae »

I actually think that mafia getting an extra kill if alone should have maybe not been public information but I'm not sure.
If its public information and it happens its easy to sus out no?
GTKAS
| here.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4283 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4281, xRECKONERx wrote:

or town could use their very powerful brains to assume scum have been balanced to *actually utilize the core mechanic of the game*

it wasn't very hard
well sorry not everyone has a huge brain like yours and knows the exact way the moderator will stop specific types of claims from being beneficial lol
retired
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4284 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 4281, xRECKONERx wrote:

it wasn't very hard
ok great so we spend 1 cycle not really doing anything to find out that going for tasks early is useless
great

thats not that big of a deal to be honest not to mention the discussion generated from that cycle is actually really useful into figure out what alignment wanted what.
GTKAS
| here.
OutWorldER
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4285 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Post by OutWorldER »

keeping the double kill a secret when it's a universal scum mechanic would be kinda dumb, in my opinion. the only reason it should be hidden like that is if it was a scum PR instead of a universal mechanic.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4286 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4282, Alisae wrote:I actually think that mafia getting an extra kill if alone should have maybe not been public information but I'm not sure.
best solution. people might still claim rooms because source material but until theres a double kill no one will know. also incorporating venting ? so ppl can join a room later on to speak in it?
retired
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4287 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Post by Alisae »

Also Reck why is meta trash?
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4288 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:08 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 4285, OutWorldER wrote:keeping the double kill a secret when it's a universal scum mechanic would be kinda dumb, in my opinion. the only reason it should be hidden like that is if it was a scum PR instead of a universal mechanic.
ya I think it woulda been better if it was a scum PR tbh.
GTKAS
| here.
OutWorldER
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4289 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:09 pm

Post by OutWorldER »

In post 423, OutWorldER wrote: Trying to win off solely off mech in a closed setup is setting up town for failure
i still stand by this statement 1000% by the way
OutWorldER
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
OutWorldER
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4290 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Post by OutWorldER »

that said, I don't think the stumbling's of D1 should detract from what was ultimately a pretty phenomenal town victory.
Blitzo
Blitzo
Goon
Blitzo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4291 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Post by Blitzo »

In post 4266, WindowsXP wrote:well its not fun when SOMEONE keeps sabotaging them
:shifty:
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4292 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4291, Blitzo wrote:
In post 4266, WindowsXP wrote:well its not fun when SOMEONE keeps sabotaging them
:shifty:
i think it was a funny game storyline thing that I was stuck on you as soon as i replaced in :lol: like fitting that i hardtunnel my task sabotager
retired
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4293 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Post by mastina »

For the record: I feel like this game's mechanics may have incentivized the town to claim rooms, but also did have good punishments in place for them doing so. While the double-kill mechanic was one scum may not have been able to use well given the room claim, had the two scum roles designed to counter this strategy not been run up on D3/D4, due to the town's massclaiming of where they'd be, I do think the alt-wincon would've been impossible to achieve. Not hard--utterly impossible.

To put this into standard game mechanics:
If the town has a town doctor and a town cop and a town watcher and the scum have a scum ninja-strongman, the town would normally be punished for massclaiming, because the scum role would eat the town roles alive.
However, if the scum ninia-strongman is eliminated, suddenly, the mechanic used to punish the town from massclaiming is removed, and massclaiming goes from being something harming the town to being something that guarantees a town win.

Similar thing here; the massclaim of location was guaranteed to keep the town from achieving the alt-wincon with the scum PRs alive, but with the scum PRs dead, the town massclaiming guaranteed their ability to fulfill it.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #4294 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 4293, mastina wrote:For the record: I feel like this game's mechanics may have incentivized the town to claim rooms, but also did have good punishments in place for them doing so. While the double-kill mechanic was one scum may not have been able to use well given the room claim, had the two scum roles designed to counter this strategy not been run up on D3/D4, due to the town's massclaiming of where they'd be, I do think the alt-wincon would've been impossible to achieve. Not hard--utterly impossible.

To put this into standard game mechanics:
If the town has a town doctor and a town cop and a town watcher and the scum have a scum ninja-strongman, the town would normally be punished for massclaiming, because the scum role would eat the town roles alive.
However, if the scum ninia-strongman is eliminated, suddenly, the mechanic used to punish the town from massclaiming is removed, and massclaiming goes from being something harming the town to being something that guarantees a town win.

Similar thing here; the massclaim of location was guaranteed to keep the town from achieving the alt-wincon with the scum PRs alive, but with the scum PRs dead, the town massclaiming guaranteed their ability to fulfill it.
this was my POV. because it was tied to the room, all scum had to do was keep sabotaging it. but then i see there is a "doctor" that can prevent a room from being sabotaged.
retired
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #4295 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

great game, incredible performance by SirCakez! Either he has improved a lot, or just really stepped it up for this game. Is there a scummy for outstanding individual scum performance in a horrific scum defeat? :lol: If it wasn't for the alt wincon, he maybe has a shot here. And even at the end, hilarious that it's him pushing hardest to help town get over the line. Which incidentally, is why abandoning the alt wincon would have been completely stupid. On the strategy, claiming rooms was key to getting maximum utility out of my role, although we moved in big enough groups that it never really came into play. Happy to survive, unclaimed, despite being pushed endlessly. :wink:
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4296 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:33 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 4287, Alisae wrote:Also Reck why is meta trash?
because the second meta becomes valid it becomes invalid
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Shea

Post Post #4297 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4277, DkKoba wrote:if u cant understand the distinction people make psychologically then idk what to tell u

im speaking from the PoV of average mafia player who doesn't assume the mod gave scum every tool in the universe to stop town.
Do you really join games (or think most people join games) thinking "the mod will let us no elim and not play mafia for 2 days and then win."

Because that's what the towns plan required to be true about my game to have a chance of working. As a player in this game (and any closed setup I play in, for that matter.) I assume that if I tell scum information that I have bad things will happen to me, for this game specifically I would have also assumed the mod wouldn't just design a game where town has no protection from being double killed in the setup, and indeed the double kill was balanced in two different other ways.

There at least was a more interesting discussion in this game because the double kill as you point out, but that discussion wasn't really had. Instead town just started claiming willy nilly and no elimmed day 1 and the people who suggested that this was maybe not a good idea (who were incidentally ALL town, by the way) got shouted down and called suspicious. I'm not saying that maybe you can't come to a place where you think the double kill is scarier than giving scum info, but I doubt that should be anyones default position in a closed setup.

Basically I think town played day 1 like this was an open setup and it ain't. But, a lot of mech mistakes get fixed with good day play and good night actions, and the town was very good in that regard here. I think I said multiple times in the dead thread from D1 on that there was just a shockingly large number of players in this game who were painfully town, and town was just going to win this game with town blocking and PoE aided by the PTs at night, which is pretty much exactly what happened, even though the win con was technically tasks.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Shea

Post Post #4298 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4282, Alisae wrote:I actually think that mafia getting an extra kill if alone should have maybe not been public information but I'm not sure.
This is perhaps true.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea
Shea

Post Post #4299 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 4290, OutWorldER wrote:that said, I don't think the stumbling's of D1 should detract from what was ultimately a pretty phenomenal town victory.
A much more succinct way to say what I'm trying to.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”