absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she

Post Post #1525 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 9:50 am

Post by absinthe »

In post 1524, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1479, absinthe wrote:I don't think you've ever spent any part of a game flattering me. I've always felt like I make the initial reachouts, or we don't interact much at all.
I definitely have flattered you in my head. Maybe I didn't verbalize it as much because you were in a hydra in most of our games and it made it hard for me to tell who was posting, but like... I've always had a high opinion of your play.

As for the reachouts, well I bet that has to do with the game being smaller and open, as you said. Certainly, based on our history and how I generally play around people whose towngames I respect, I don't think I'd be trying to interact with you
more
as scum.
Do you spectate games frequently?
Marashu
Marashu
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Marashu
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1526 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 9:51 am

Post by Marashu »

Official Vote Count 2.03

Gatecatboi (0):
Something_Smart (0):
absinthe (0):
Not Voting (3): catboi, Something_Smart, absinthe

Wallunwnd (0):
Lukewarm (0):
Dunnstral (0):
Not Voting (3): unwnd, Lukewarm, Dunnstral

KeepBriar (0):
Anastasia (0):
Infinity 324(0):
Not Voting (3): Briar, Anastasia, Infinity 324

Deadline:
(expired on 2021-05-22 23:00:54).

Mod notes:
You may only vote within your location
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1527 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 1525, absinthe wrote:Do you spectate games frequently?
No. I'll sometimes read random parts of games I'm not in, but I rarely follow them from start to finish.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1528 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

Post by absinthe »

In post 1527, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 1525, absinthe wrote:Do you spectate games frequently?
No. I'll sometimes read random parts of games I'm not in, but I rarely follow them from start to finish.
I'm surprised you were aware of this alt's past games.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1529 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am

I couldn't have named any of the games before I looked, but I remembered you as someone who was playing during that time. Looking back at your games it was probably from Walking Dead (because I played in a lot of Radja's games and frequently referenced his previous ones for mod meta) and Midsummer Night's Dream (because I had a friend in that game who talked to me about it a lot).
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1530 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:17 am

Post by absinthe »

Do you mind if I ask who your friend in the Walking Dead game was?
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1531 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:17 am

Post by absinthe »

I'm sorry...the Midsummer Night's Dream game.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1532 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 am

It was itlepip. I know him irl and he's the person who introduced me to the site.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1533 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 am

Post by absinthe »

that was a brutal game. the 3rd party actively played to help scum. :/

anyway.

It surprised/surprises me that anyone would remember this alt well enough to look forward to playing with it, but eh. I did think that absinthe meta would be fairly easy for players to acquire, and that meta definitely supports my page 1 statement about being good at finding town (why I wanted to go to the keep) and good at being transparently town (why my second choice was the Gate). Though the Midsummer Nights game was a sort of counter-example.

I wish I could have at least gone a few pages before alt slipping. The interactions could have been helpful.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1534 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 11:15 am

Post by absinthe »

In post 305, catboi wrote:
In post 300, absinthe wrote:What are your thoughts about how to use the 3 minigames?
I got into that in , put your townreads in the keep, do whatever for the others. I think trying to game the IC at the gate is a bit of a waste of time, mafia are going to choose who they want as IC no matter what so it's not like they can be forced into making a bad choice. I'm mostly indifferent to how people arrange themselves in the other two.

I was actually going to type a bit more but I want to save those thoughts until after the assignments are finalized.
Did you ever get into these thoughts?
In post 818, catboi wrote:I've half a mind to just jump to the gate right now - I actually didn't mind lukewarm's suggestion earlier that I be the third at the keep, because I don't see scum motivation in Anastasia's play and although briar's play didn't make a ton of sense to me I feel as though she's threadspewed from the townreads on her, but, selfishly, I want to stay in the game longer and I think the keep should be resolved first. I feel like I'm able to play better after flips are on the table.
I need you to wrap some more words around your stance on joining/not joining the Keep.
In post 849, catboi wrote:
In post 839, absinthe wrote:
In post 838, catboi wrote:In terms of generalised strategy or particular people?
either.

both.

any.

talk to me.
Hmm, my feeling was that I was content to slot townreads in the keep and then to let the chips fall where they may - I felt like there wasn't a lot of point in trying to micromanage everyone and I felt like letting peopl decide on their own might be more revealing. It's easy for scum to simply defer their decision to others and thereby abdicate responsibility for their actions, whereas here they'd have to justify it. Having read a lot of the arguments about straegy on the previous pages, I would agree that putting multiple scumreads in one location seems preferable - although trying to force a 3/3 is impossible, any potential swap is valuable in terms of the information it provides. As thngs stand now though, unwnd is feeling a bit...cornered in his responses. I don't mind ana's suggested groupings although I'd probably swap in dunn at the wall in place of something_smart. I'm fine with either you or Luke being at the keep.
When did your thoughts about me being at the keep change? And why?
In post 1055, catboi wrote:Dunn's jump to the wall was weird but I don't see why he'd choose to put himself in a place with two people who already suspected him as scum
Why do you think he'd choose that as town?

re your , my was an attempt to give a hypothetical town-infinity a chance to talk about why she wasn't feeling motivated, and to do a reset if the response felt town.

Spoiler:
it didn't. :/

But, at any rate, it certainly wasn't a sign that I was townreading Something_Smart to a significantly greater degree than infinity at that point.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1535 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am

Post by absinthe »

In post 1240, Dunnstral wrote:I don't understand how everybody is looking at Luke write paragraphs on mech and thinking that they're either over their head or not a bold player

It seems obvious to me that they have some experience
In the Newbie game I played with town-Luke, I started to doubt my townread of him basically because he seemed too good to be true. And I spectated his next newbie game (he replaced into a game that included catboi) and almost immediately scumread him. There's a mechanics current to what he does in general that is alien to me because I emphasize reads much much much over mechanics and setup info. I think I've calibrated for that current, finally.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1536 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Post by absinthe »

y'all gonna make me crazy.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1537 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Post by catboi »

(๑-﹏-๑)

Oh my gosh I'm so tired, had a long today, going to catch up now
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1538 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Post by Briar »

I too am tired.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1539 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:32 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1534, absinthe wrote:Did you ever get into these thoughts?
At the time, I was about to post the order I thought the locations should be resolved in, but thought better of it because doing so would allow scum to better plan their placement/swaps. Of course I'd basically already given away that I wanted to do the keep first, so that seems really silly on my part in hindsight. At the time I was actually thinking keep > wall > gate for the order, preserving the IC as long as possible, but that's somewhat contingent on getting the keep right as otherwise doing the wall seems a bit of an unnecessary risk, and ultimately I began to think it may be preferable to simply play the numbers.
In post 1534, absinthe wrote:I need you to wrap some more words around your stance on joining/not joining the Keep.
My feeling was that, assuming the two townreads already at the keep were correct, me going there would ensure it was all town and force the mafia to swap with one of us. Being that I was not as townread as the other two, I'd likely be left there and I could just vote my townread and win a point. However it seemed almost superfluous to me - they were likely to get voted without my help regardless, and I'd end up removing myself from the game before being able to do much. Like I said in the post you quoted, I feel like I'm able to contribute a lot more effectively once there's been some flips and I can analyze based on interactions. Granted this way I have to convince people I'm town myself, which is not always easy for me, but I still feel as though I'm more valuable this way.
In post 1534, absinthe wrote:When did your thoughts about me being at the keep change? And why?
I don't think they did? At the very least, I was never
against
you being at the keep that I can recall. I didn't townread you as much as the other two, but I think I kept myself from expressing any reservation I had in-thread.
In post 1534, absinthe wrote:Why do you think he'd choose that as town?
I think his explanation in of wanting to force his scumreads to the gate is believable enough.
In post 1534, absinthe wrote:re your 1146, my 704 was an attempt to give a hypothetical town-infinity a chance to talk about why she wasn't feeling motivated, and to do a reset if the response felt town.

Spoiler:

But, at any rate, it certainly wasn't a sign that I was townreading Something_Smart to a significantly greater degree than infinity at that point.'t. :/But, at any rate, it certainly wasn't a sign that I was townreading Something_Smart to a significantly greater degree than infinity at that point.
It doesn't really matter what the strength of
your
read
actually
was, the scum are going to swap based on their perceived chances of success, and I think from your posting they'd likely infer something_smart had a better chance than infinity.
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1540 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Post by Briar »

Fuck, I don't want to solve the Wall.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1541 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1283, Dunnstral wrote:In reality, if mafia played it correctly, after I locked in at the gate, either Infinity would have locked into the gate in preparation for the exact play they made anyway (while s_s as town waits for infinity to pick the wall). Or, in a scenario where s_s is also scum, that would be pretty bad for them, but I feel like the scum team is less likely to find themselves in this situation. I think catboi is a bit more likely to be mafia off of how this played out.
I dont understand what you're trying to say here. You hammered the wall, it forced the moves of the other two. How does that make me more likely to be scum?
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1542 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1539, catboi wrote:I don't think they did? At the very least, I was never against you being at the keep that I can recall. I didn't townread you as much as the other two, but I think I kept myself from expressing any reservation I had in-thread.
In post 240, catboi wrote:Absinthe at the moment wouldn't be anywhere close to my choices for the keep.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1543 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1289, unwnd wrote:Please stop talking about the stupid fucking mechanics
In post 1290, unwnd wrote:Both of your arguments are just hearsay and me needing to believe what you would do in accordance to how the night played out

Not what you've organically gained from it
In post 1293, unwnd wrote:I just want to state that my initial TR of S_S is exclusive to what I think of him as a person. I townread his efforts thinking he was tinkering in his head to try and make a favorable outcome for town. I changed my mind on this however because I'm just going to assume the same thing I always do about mechanics: They're really fucking easy to talk about and require zero commitment. Dunn, you yourself admitted this and made the basis of your argument against Lukewarm based on (Mechanics). Okay? So why are you two going rounds about postulating theories and how the mechanics should work in your town!favor instead of the opposite. I'm not going to pay attention to it much further and I hope to god that is not what becomes the majority of conversation you will absolutely lose me if it is.

Let me state that I don't think all mechanic talk is bad. It's protown to consider how to use the setup to your advantage and line up potential good moves in accordance to it. However? I think that's passed.
:/
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1544 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:55 pm

Post by Briar »

Luke is so genuine; I just read his ISO and his interactions with Dunnstral feel really sincere. I think that scum!Luke probably tries to double down on Dunnstral there in other ways if he can't get what he wants out of the talk about mechanics, regarding Dunn locking in yesterday? But instead he's trying to work with him. In general, I think he's just been so /open/ with what he's thinking, trying to compromise with what's best, being humble, etc.

Tonally, he just sounds good. He's not agenda-based at all, not trying to hammer his way through the Wall, just vibing and solving with enough like... good. I don't know the word for this, but his posts are just good and I like them.

Subsequently, uh, I know unwnd told me that his frustration was NAI and I really do get it, but reading it in the context of Luke and Dunn trying to engage with each other without it being a toxic slapfight really does feel like frustrated scum who wants to shut down a discussion between two townies, which is... about as much as scum can do this game, it feels like: shut down the townies and cause potential strife, to hope for a WIFOM win or someone getting too paranoid. (Your feelings are still valid unwnd, I am sorry, but I just can't take this as /not/ AI.)

I don't want unwnd to be scum but like, ugh. I'm getting to that point right now. Which would make my solve catboi (this is currently the weakest of the reads, and it is admittedly going off of D1 more than today, and the fact that I don't think that S_S can be scum with either Ana or Infinity. I haven't read over Ana's other games, but I don't think that scum!S_S exists with either Infinity nor Ana this game as a potential scumpartner for them both. Which uh, sucks for catboi honestly because I don't think he's played bad if I'm doubting myself here but it's more that he's getting netted by other things going on), unwnd, and Infinity -- who, I know wanted me to talk about my read on her but it's entangled in how I'm viewing Ana this game frankly. You both have a 50% chance to be scum but realistically it's... just, over the course of the game, I don't catch myself thinking that Ana is scummy when we disagree, and it feels like we're collaborating together. Which, probably sounds dumb because she's a good scum player and I do still have a seed of doubt, but it feels more like she's just wrong whenever we interact and we're trying to figure it out together? I've liked her interactions over the course of the game, and I really do think that the pool that's left for her to be scum with based off of what she's done doesn't make sense to me as much? It has like, 1/3 scum that I agree with. Granted I still need to check my work here regarding how strictly she sticks to not bussing but I have a feeling anyways that I'll come up with what I'm expecting to.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1545 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:55 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1542, absinthe wrote:
In post 1539, catboi wrote:I don't think they did? At the very least, I was never against you being at the keep that I can recall. I didn't townread you as much as the other two, but I think I kept myself from expressing any reservation I had in-thread.
In post 240, catboi wrote:Absinthe at the moment wouldn't be anywhere close to my choices for the keep.
Hmm, then my thoughts changed somewhere between page 10 and page 34
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1546 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:56 pm

Post by Briar »

So, tl;dr as of right now: catboi/unwnd/Infinity scumteam, everyone else has reasons I don't think they can be scum save for Dunnstral, I guess? My read here is the shakiest and it's more the fact that I just didn't like how unwnd reacted over the past in-game day.
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1547 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Post by Briar »

But, I do have to question why it is that I think the only person townreading Infinity is unwnd. Like... scum cannot be bussing right now, can they?
Briar
Briar
Goon
Briar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1548 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Post by Briar »

Which, if they aren't bussing...

>_>
Briar
Briar