she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she

Post Post #1625 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1621, catboi wrote:
In post 1421, absinthe wrote:
In post 1388, Briar wrote:Speaking of votes: when is the best time for us to flip? Assuming Keep first is still the preferred move — the other groups will be harder to resolve but I don’t know when it’s best to give up our presence vs. confirmed flips.
I want your and anastasia's thoughts about the Gate (catboi vs S_S as town) for my own sake, and of course ALL the thoughts about the Wall in case I screw up the Gate.

I have more of a handle on S_S's towngame. I played twice(?) with catboi in 2013-2014. I haven't gone back to look at those games, but iirc in one he was town and in the other he was scum (and ironically I replaced into an IC slot). I feel like meta that stale is probably not all that useful. I've spectated a couple games that town-catboi played and I feel like there's a lot of alignment ambiguity in his town game.
Oh god, I have no memory of those games at all, but I'm sure they're incredibly cringe and should never be looked at
And I read all 22 pages of the Majiffy micro that had the bell curve probability of night actions working earlier. :/

(I loved Beli/my hydra's name.

Still haven't read the GiF game where you were scum, though~
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1626 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1624, catboi wrote:Like seriously, someone back me up here: How does that post make any sense from a town POV who is scumreading unwnd?
hmm.

What do you think it says about unwnd's alignment?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1627 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1625, absinthe wrote:
In post 1621, catboi wrote:
In post 1421, absinthe wrote:
In post 1388, Briar wrote:Speaking of votes: when is the best time for us to flip? Assuming Keep first is still the preferred move — the other groups will be harder to resolve but I don’t know when it’s best to give up our presence vs. confirmed flips.
I want your and anastasia's thoughts about the Gate (catboi vs S_S as town) for my own sake, and of course ALL the thoughts about the Wall in case I screw up the Gate.

I have more of a handle on S_S's towngame. I played twice(?) with catboi in 2013-2014. I haven't gone back to look at those games, but iirc in one he was town and in the other he was scum (and ironically I replaced into an IC slot). I feel like meta that stale is probably not all that useful. I've spectated a couple games that town-catboi played and I feel like there's a lot of alignment ambiguity in his town game.
Oh god, I have no memory of those games at all, but I'm sure they're incredibly cringe and should never be looked at
And I read all 22 pages of the Majiffy micro that had the bell curve probability of night actions working earlier. :/

(I loved Beli/my hydra's name.

Still haven't read the GiF game where you were scum, though~
I just looked it up and I wasn't scum in that game. I wound up in a stupid tunnel on bertkerberos and selfvoted in mylo and scum hammered me.

Like I said, cringe.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1628 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm

Post by absinthe »

bertkerberos was a strange hydra to try to read.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1629 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1626, absinthe wrote:
In post 1624, catboi wrote:Like seriously, someone back me up here: How does that post make any sense from a town POV who is scumreading unwnd?
hmm.

It might mean he's town because otherwise I don't see why s_s puts so much emphasis on why he needs to win the gate but honestly my head is spinning trying to figure it out. I would expect him to not be so overtly fatalistic with a partner on the chopping block.

On individual merits it's very hard for me to see unwnd as town though.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1630 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Luke doesn't seem to be townreading me/scumreading unwnd as hard as people keep implying
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1631 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1628, absinthe wrote:bertkerberos was a strange hydra to try to read.
I don't want to go back to read the whole thing but I think I was hung up on them because their posting seemed to be almost entirely filler to me but they made a big deal about how much they were "contributing" even though it was mostly spam. It was bad. Although I don't think I was great either.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1632 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1629, catboi wrote:
In post 1626, absinthe wrote:
hmm.

It might mean he's town because otherwise I don't see why s_s puts so much emphasis on why he needs to win the gate but honestly my head is spinning trying to figure it out. I would expect him to not be so overtly fatalistic with a partner on the chopping block.

On individual merits it's very hard for me to see unwnd as town though.
My only strong townread in that group is Luke.

If he's scum this game I will laugh many tearful hollow laughs.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1633 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1631, catboi wrote:
I don't want to go back to read the whole thing but I think I was hung up on them because their posting seemed to be almost entirely filler to me but they made a big deal about how much they were "contributing" even though it was mostly spam. It was bad. Although I don't think I was great either.
That was the bert part of the hydra. He was not easy to read, but his scum game was a sort of hyper-exaggerated caricature of his towngame. I used to describe it as a burlesque impression of town-bert. If nacho posted enough, I'd just read that head for the most part.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1634 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1630, Dunnstral wrote:Luke doesn't seem to be townreading me/scumreading unwnd as hard as people keep implying
Huh, you're right - I had interpreted as implying a townread on you but seems to directly contradict that - maybe the implication is he expects lukewarm to misvote on you? which goes back to unwnd-scum

...which wouldn't really be a slip. I thought I'd found something.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1635 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:06 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1633, absinthe wrote:
That was the bert part of the hydra. He was not easy to read, but his scum game was a sort of hyper-exaggerated caricature of his towngame. I used to describe it as a burlesque impression of town-bert. If nacho posted enough, I'd just read that head for the most part.
I think I had been expecting more from Nacho. IDK. My analysis was pretty bad. I had a terrible record in lylo as town, that newbie game I just finished was probably the first time I feel like I've really played well in one.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1636 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 1624, catboi wrote:How does that post make any sense from a town POV who is scumreading unwnd?
is it really that hard for you to figure out?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1637 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm

In post 1634, catboi wrote:maybe the implication is he expects lukewarm to misvote on you?
I mean not especially. that would hardly be "no faith", after all
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1638 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Post by absinthe »

Sigh.

I think it's you, S_S.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1639 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Sorry to hear that.
absinthe
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
absinthe
she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1640 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Post by absinthe »

In post 1635, catboi wrote:
In post 1633, absinthe wrote:
I think I had been expecting more from Nacho. IDK. My analysis was pretty bad. I had a terrible record in lylo as town, that newbie game I just finished was probably the first time I feel like I've really played well in one.
What attracted you to this setup?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1641 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 pm

absinthe I still don't understand why you think I pick you as the IC over Briar.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1642 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 pm

I don't really understand any of it tbh. Catboi didn't really do anything on D1, and right now they're just doing ~generic solving posting~ which is like exactly what scum just try to do naturally, and it seems like it's been established that they're competent enough to emulate it just fine as scum.

But it's like really not that good of an idea for town to do here? Like it's not
bad
but it's really not all that helpful and it seems to be presumably what's pushing the needle for you here?

Whereas I feel like I've taken a lot of angles and approaches to this game and if there's one thing I'm not good at as scum it's being dynamic... like I changed my tune about what was optimal multiple times, I tried to take into account people's changing reads, we juggled a lot of different mechanical plans, and I also stood my ground really hard against Ana when I could have just like... not said anything and let it drop. If the team really is me/Infinity/unwnd then there's no way that I would expect that arguing back against it as hard as I could would be the right way to make it look like that wasn't the team; and if it isn't that, then why am I drawing attention to myself at all?

I just haven't played this game with any agenda, at all. Catboi's D1 had very little content in the conversations that mattered and their D2 is basically entirely geared toward looking town in exactly the way that scum usually try to do (by solving and appearing reasonable). Whereas my D1 was inserting myself into lots of fast-moving discussions, often provoking disagreements, and navigating rapidly shifting sentiments. if you think that's something I can keep up with as scum... well, I can't, not even in my best scumgame ever by a large margin, where I still mostly stayed out of discussions that had mechanical implications.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1643 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 pm

I don't really understand any of it tbh. Catboi didn't really do anything on D1, and right now they're just doing ~generic solving posting~ which is like exactly what scum just try to do naturally, and it seems like it's been established that they're competent enough to emulate it just fine as scum.

But it's like really not that good of an idea for town to do here? Like it's not
bad
but it's really not all that helpful and it seems to be presumably what's pushing the needle for you here?

Whereas I feel like I've taken a lot of angles and approaches to this game and if there's one thing I'm not good at as scum it's being dynamic... like I changed my tune about what was optimal multiple times, I tried to take into account people's changing reads, we juggled a lot of different mechanical plans, and I also stood my ground really hard against Ana when I could have just like... not said anything and let it drop. If the team really is me/Infinity/unwnd then there's no way that I would expect that arguing back against it as hard as I could would be the right way to make it look like that wasn't the team; and if it isn't that, then why am I drawing attention to myself at all?

I just haven't played this game with any agenda, at all. Catboi's D1 had very little content in the conversations that mattered and their D2 is basically entirely geared toward looking town in exactly the way that scum usually try to do (by solving and appearing reasonable). Whereas my D1 was inserting myself into lots of fast-moving discussions, often provoking disagreements, and navigating rapidly shifting sentiments. if you think that's something I can keep up with as scum... well, I can't, not even in my best scumgame ever by a large margin, where I still mostly stayed out of discussions that had mechanical implications.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1644 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm

I can't tell if this is the site, or my computer/wifi, or PEBKAC. I don't even think I double clicked the submit button this time!
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1645 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:40 pm

Post by unwnd »

Alright.

I apologize for my agitation in some areas. I'm not going to repeat to you all about that however.

To preface this: this setup to me just creates mechanical strife. It seems like it could potentially be used for gain but at the end of the day each minigame is a XYLO where one of them just happens to have a clear. You can spin the keep as 'oh we just vote for town' but it's a very small difference and doesn't change how someone would behave. This plays in part to what I believe Catboi? said earlier about Infinity and how she's just locked into her choice like a dance game. For clarity, there is extremely little room to think that Ana is scum. I also want to believe that this is town game experience I'll be able to take away from Ydra, despite her changing her mind on me. It's not a matter of how we solve Keep in my mind rather when it comes. Infinity is playing very close to antispew in my mind and only focusing on the necessity of needing to towntell, which is a smart decision. However, I think that behavior is less directed. I don't really feel like Infinity has a set of lines she's being fed from potential mates. I think they're mostly focusing on covering their own ass much like Infinity is.

So I'm not going to look at this with associative with mind, rather consider individual play. Scum who are in their minigames in my opinion don't really need to help their partners here. They need to just focus on themselves. This is why what Dunn/Lukewarm were frustrating me, not because what Ana believes. In a XYLO, you believe you're town and you don't want the decision to fall on you, or against you. This is not behavior that is difficult to replicate, and just because you're mechanically locked into a pseudo-XYLO does not
again
change anything. I can't just believe Lukewarm/Dunn must be town for X Y Z mechanical reason, and I'm not letting either of them accept the other as town.

Right now I am leaning that Dunnstral is just playing to Lukewarm's sensibilities. I believe that Dunn will take the mechanical agreement and just run with it. I don't like how he's approached me and changed his mind about me even if a lot of people have. I think him especially just dropped the read on me once it was no longer useful. I've seen how Dunn acts towards me and he is never that reluctant to townread me. That was the initial feeling that disturbed me. Regardless, do I think Dunn as scum
planned
what happened and could come in with good intentions about his choice? Not entirely, but I think he's adaptive. I don't understand where Dunn's behavior must be genuine because the choice really wasn't his to make? That's aside the point and talking about that aspect will start a migraine.

Moving on, Lukewarm's ideas are there but they're not perfect. They have imperfections very likely found in a newbie. I don't think newbscum trying to get all initiated with mechanical in-and-outs is impossible, but the difference between Lukewarm/Dunn is the approach of things. What's also different is that Lukewarm is coming off a loss is very likely more sensitive to himself. His backing off of Dunn was far more conclusive in that regard because he was the one to initiate at first. I don't have the actual data to back this but I get the feeling in some game where Lukewarm is scum he would be more tucked inward with his thoughts. Much more reliant on his partners to help him out or afraid to give his opinion. Lukewarm's conviction to me wins out compared to Dunn's convenience.

Mechanics are only useful if the benefit turns into some form of a read. Meaning, the person who is either giving or talking about the mechanics becomes readable by the conventions of such. I don't believe that is the case this game because the only useful thing given to us was already decided by scum. That being said, it's great that I really only have to be wrong on one of Catboi/S_S. I think Catboi's thoughts keep unprepared compared to S_S's already decided thoughts. I've struggled to see Point A to Point B with him. I've already talked about why I was leaning on S_S being town but I'm willing to correct that decision here. I think to break this line of thought what frustrates me is. When a lot of people scumread you, then it's hard to figure out how to argue against people. I want Catboi to trust me and I don't know how to entirely do that. S_S/Catboi share one similarity however which doesn't make my answer definitive compared to Dunn/Lukewarm. They know themselves to such a scary degree and both play in such a way that is almost always UTR. Those type of scum don't really buckle easy and will rely on their idiosyncrasies to cover up misplays. The issue of me leaning S_S instead of Catboi here is that I guess I just find Catboi much more approachable despite his apprehension towards me. I'm not sure if I personally offended him for some reason but that one line of him being like 'why should you care what I think' just really stuck out to me. I do care for one and two that emotive trait makes me think his catch-up is not a given choice. That he isn't just
pretending
to catch-up. At the end of the day, all S_S has done is stay true to himself but it hasn't really done favors for him, especially in D2. He's not really one to reach out and I think he's more afraid of errors in that regard. Catboi seems more willing to take chances.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1646 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:41 pm

Post by unwnd »

So yeah right now I think it's Dunn/Infinity/S_S. I think the person I could intentionally be most wrong about is Dunn but that isn't a situation I want him to use to get on my good side now that I've come to play ball
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1647 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Post by unwnd »

Lmao intentionally wrong

Not a freudian slip I swear! I think I was trying to say potentionally
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1648 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Post by unwnd »

Also I apologize for any syntax errors, I didn't really proofread and instead just let my thoughts flow
Stop
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1649 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Post by Dunnstral »