Newbie 2066: Gelato 2 -- End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:32 pm

Post by sang froid »

In post 94, Rockhopper wrote:
In post 78, T3 wrote:Do you seriously think a (supposedly) experienced player like sang would just claim pr as scum knowing full well it will get everyone's attention?
That's just wifom. He wouldn't really worry if he's experienced.
Not totally wrong, but off-base. If I’m scum... yeah maybe i decide to do some wifom PR bait shit but there’s always at least a couple of town who will read things at the most surface level and think “oh, yeah, that must be scum! They’re PR hunting!” Which is not necessarily problematic for me as scum, but it does draw attention that I just don’t need, and the risk of some towny deciding this is OMG THE MOST SCUMMY THING EVER and having them tunnel me.

Besides which, I don’t really need to do this to PR hunt if I’m scum because, as you noted yourself, I have experience. So there’s a decent amount of downside and no significant upside that I can’t get in other ways. So why does it make sense for me as scum?
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:39 pm

Post by sang froid »

In post 95, Rockhopper wrote:
In post 80, sang froid wrote:
In post 71, Rockhopper wrote:
In post 69, sang froid wrote:No, was majorly scummy

Whats wrong with my reaction to my wagon?
Your reads that followed felt panicky and manufactured
why

This is a meaningless thing to say by itself, substantiate your points
Well, firstly I think your read about there being 1 scum for sure in {me, Jumble} is manufactured because the "PR bait" arg wasn't all that bad. It seems equivalent to just throwing shade at a random pair of players even though there's a better(>50%) chance that neither are scum from town!you's perspective, which is scummy because that's something the mafia would do to appear towny. Secondly, your paranoia with those chances doesn't add up with your three unsubstantiated townreads. Vax, worst of all.
Already covered this in my last post — the PR bait argument is bad lol, in that it’s a very surface level way of looking at the game. If I’m scum one of my priorities is to make myself look as town as possible. Entering that way doesn’t really help towards that end and isn’t significantly useful in PR hunting vs just... doing that normally?

And it’s not random, because I can make the reasonable inference from having played quite a lot of games that in a newbie game in particular it’s likely that there will be at least one newbie who jumps on the “OMG PR HUNTING” bait without really considering whether that makes sense for me to do as scum. It’s still possible that that’s you, and jumble is the scum, but aorn that’s not the way I’m leaning. Because then the thing that it’s very easy for scum to do is see a towny pushing that argument and think “hmm, yeah, sang did something scummy, I can sheep on that!” And to slip onto the wagon without really considering it beyond the fact it
looks
like an opening that can be pushed easily, and I think the scum who did that is you.

How does any of this apply to my TRs which are broadly independent of the gambit? Vax admittedly could maybe be scum but I tend to think that trying to vote me without feeling any need to bother justifying it leans town esp as I think 1 scum in you/jumble is more likely and I sort of doubt that both scum get on me that quickly. Could be wrong, but not particularly worried about it right now and not interested in exploring there over continuing to get votes on you and/or jumble
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:39 pm

Post by sang froid »

In post 83, GuyInFreezer wrote:rockhopper as town
Why?

Guess I’m interested in T3 too, but less so
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:40 pm

Post by sang froid »

In post 93, GuyInFreezer wrote:With that said this game is really slow tbh
I’m still warming up, gimme a couple of days
Rockhopper
Rockhopper
Goon
Rockhopper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:28 pm

Post by Rockhopper »

In post 100, sang froid wrote:
In post 94, Rockhopper wrote:
In post 78, T3 wrote:Do you seriously think a (supposedly) experienced player like sang would just claim pr as scum knowing full well it will get everyone's attention?
That's just wifom. He wouldn't really worry if he's experienced.
Not totally wrong, but off-base. If I’m scum... yeah maybe i decide to do some wifom PR bait shit but there’s always at least a couple of town who will read things at the most surface level and think “oh, yeah, that must be scum! They’re PR hunting!” Which is not necessarily problematic for me as scum, but it does draw attention that I just don’t need, and the risk of some towny deciding this is OMG THE MOST SCUMMY THING EVER and having them tunnel me.

Besides which, I don’t really need to do this to PR hunt if I’m scum because, as you noted yourself, I have experience. So there’s a decent amount of downside and no significant upside that I can’t get in other ways. So why does it make sense for me as scum?
This post is super scummy.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper
Goon
Rockhopper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Post by Rockhopper »

Why exactly did you decide to enter like that?
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:06 pm

Post by Roden »

In post 98, sang froid wrote:
In post 87, Roden wrote:I don't like wagoning on Day 1,
it gives me zero information
and doesn't give me much room to pressure somebody else if they start pinging me. I like to let others wagon since it gives me more info on the game state. E-3, E-2, and E-1 votes are extremely telling and are what I'm going to be basing a lot of my reads on.
How does it not provide information? Surely it gives you information of a different sort, and how does it stop you pressuring anyone if you want to change your vote? You’re not beholden to keep voting on a wagon just because you did once?

And additionally, how is vanity voting someone (which is exerting very little pressure and is therefore unlikely to provide much information alone) better than helping put the squeeze on someone?

Also, why do you think E-3, E-2, and E-1 votes are especially important? Why are those more indicative of alignment fypov than wagon leaders or hammer votes?
Me putting my vote on a wagon means one less person is putting their vote on a wagon. When people vote, they're making their reads, suspicions, and alliances clear. I want to know who wants to put the most pressure on an E-2 wagon, and I literally cannot figure that out if I do it myself.

My "vanity" vote isn't a vanity vote at all if anyone else agrees with it. As much as you want
me
to vote with you,
you
are completely welcome to vote with me as well. You said you believed Jumble was scummy as well, so why focus on pressuring just Rock? It's not like I gave him a free pass, I've had plenty to say about him so far.

I think E-x votes are more AI because that's exactly where scum want to put their votes. Newbscum are terrified of looking suspicious, most aren't brave enough to lead a wagon they know will flip green, and doubly so for hammering a player they know will flip green. Middle votes generally just look and feel safe.

You're playing from an experienced perspective but you're forgetting this game style is specifically for people with little experience.
In post 99, sang froid wrote:As for me being aggressive— yeah, sure, that’s not inaccurate but it’s more because I’m not particularly worried about getting limmed today and less about any level of confusion on my part. I was expecting to potentially pick up votes for my entrance because it was artificially scummy but I have every faith in myself to demonstrate that I’m town vía how I approach the game
You have three votes on you. I don't think your strat is working.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:18 pm

Post by Roden »

Sang, I'm trying very hard to stick to my town read on you, but it's really difficult when you keep intentionally lacing your posts as scummy lol

I'll give it some thought, but if no one else puts Rock at E-1 by tomorrow then I'll just do it my self so we can keep the game going. I think scum is spooked and don't want to declare any allegiances by putting either of you within hamner range. Though it's also entirely possible it hasn't happened because Johnny isn't here.

I really need to hear more from GIF and Jumble too.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:25 pm

Post by Roden »

In post 105, Rockhopper wrote:Why exactly did you decide to enter like that?
This question alone gives me newbie town vibes. But at the same time, it conflicts with your earlier posts.

My only guess is that they were checking for reactions. That's why they're scum reading you and Jumble.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:30 pm

Post by Roden »

In post 107, Roden wrote:I really need to hear more from GIF and Jumble too.
I'll reiterate by adding Clasko and Vax to this list. Minimal posts from both but especially Vax. Vax has only posted three times, and two of them were just naked votes.

Man, are there really only four of us actively playing right now?
Rockhopper
Rockhopper
Goon
Rockhopper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:18 am

Post by Rockhopper »

In post 108, Roden wrote:
This question alone gives me newbie town vibes. But at the same time, it conflicts with your earlier posts.

My only guess is that they were checking for reactions. That's why they're scum reading you and Jumble.
No, I asked because he's aware that there's always at least a couple of town who would read at the most surface level. I don't think the wagon with me/Jumble warrants a strong reaction with that kind of uncertainty, especially in a newbie game. That entrance does work better as PR bait because newbie PR reactions are much more noticeable, meaning there can be a significant amount of upside. The truth of his reasoning for why the downside outweighs the upside contradicts itself, leaving just a plain anti-town entrance, justifying the wagon on him.

It's more likely a part of his scum agenda because he buries wifom with more wifom while tunneling down on me/Jumbo for being
surface level
Idk why this kind of play would come from experienced town.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper
Goon
Rockhopper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:27 am

Post by Rockhopper »

In post 107, Roden wrote:I think scum is spooked and don't want to declare any allegiances by putting either of you within hamner range.
Wait, you think neither one of us is scum?
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:32 am

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Sorry for bringing up this so early in the game, but I just don't respond well to pressure. I've been trying to fix this for a while now, and really the only way that's going to happen if I just keep posting. But my reading ability is basically non-existent! What am I supposed to do then?
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 am

Post by Roden »

In post 111, Rockhopper wrote:
In post 107, Roden wrote:I think scum is spooked and don't want to declare any allegiances by putting either of you within hamner range.
Wait, you think neither one of us is scum?
It's a possibility, if only because barely anyone is posting in the first place and giving us much to work with.

But what I meant by that post is that,
if
one of you is scum, your partner wouldn't want the attention of making an E-1 vote. I think it's likely only one scum has actually voted on a wagon and that the second one is playing more passively for now. There's just no reason for both scum to be active in a slow game tbh.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:54 am

Post by Roden »

In post 112, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:
Sorry for bringing up this so early in the game, but I just don't respond well to pressure. I've been trying to fix this for a while now, and really the only way that's going to happen if I just keep posting. But my reading ability is basically non-existent! What am I supposed to do then?
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick here! Just giving your opinions on what's going on and what people are saying is helpful. It lets everyone else get a better read of you and figure out where you stand in the game.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

What happens when you get pressure? Do you break, or just drop out?
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 109, Roden wrote:
I'll reiterate by adding Clasko and Vax to this list. Minimal posts from both but especially Vax. Vax has only posted three times, and two of them were just naked votes.

Man, are there really only four of us actively playing right now?
Sry, you guys deserve better. I should have marked myself VLA over the weekend. Some weeks are better than others, but last week end was really busy. But I'm here now on the weekdays!

Typically I'd just push something through, but this is a newbie game and I want to see what you guys got.

VOTE: guyinfreezer

hop on the train!

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:00 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Does anyone else think gelato is gross?

Games played.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Actually. I just looked up what it was.... it sounds kinda good. I was confusing it with custard... which is gross.

Games played.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 am

In post 115, Vaxkiller wrote:
What happens when you get pressure? Do you break, or just drop out?
I've linked a few of my games in the first sentence (starting with "I".) I usually just flake out, but once I broke and THEN flaked out, which is probably worse.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 am

Okay, moving on so I don't sound like some old hag who keeps rambling about meta:
- #104: That's really scummy? I'm not seeing it here. This just sounds like a good explanation.
- #87: Wait, E-3 is apparently a bad thing to do? That definitely sounds wrong to me. That's just two votes - and that happens all the time without much fanfare or notice.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 am

Post by T3 »

Townpoints to Vax for 116, I'll explain why later.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Oh yea, I see what I did there.

Games played.
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:08 am

Post by sang froid »

In post 120, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:- #104: That's really scummy? I'm not seeing it here. This just sounds like a good explanation.
Yeh, rockhoppper keeps doing this, sheep me and I’ll give you townpoints tomorrow when he flips scum
sang froid
sang froid
Goon
sang froid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:09 am

Post by sang froid »

because i felt like it?

I don’t normally overthink my openings and just do whatever I like, sometimes more conservative sometimes bolder. In this case it’s on the bolder side and I’m p sure it baited scum (you) into thinking you had an easy target lol

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”