Servant Caster
Goon
Servant Caster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:55 am

Post by Servant Caster »

In post 696, Servant Alter Ego wrote:
In post 683, Servant Caster wrote:It's really unfortunate for me that the people I trust I don't like and the people I like I don't trust.
That just won't do. What will it take for me to be both unlikable AND untrustworthy?

Please no,

Foreigner is quite enough on his own already :<
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 am

Post by Servant Berserker »

I’m ready to move on if the rest of you are.
Servant Foreigner
Servant Foreigner
Goon
Servant Foreigner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:13 am

Post by Servant Foreigner »

In post 694, Servant Caster wrote:I guess I would feel very silly if after all this you were just town and I'm the only dumb-dumb who doesn't see it?

I honestly don't know which result I would like better when you get mastered. Either I am very wrong or this game is very lost.
In post 695, Servant Foreigner wrote:caster do you want to master beast or lancer?
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:24 am

Post by Servant Beast »

VOTE: Berserker

I've been ready for awhile.

I do think this was an excellent troll if berserker is scum and they just tried to drag everything out of everyone before peacing out. 10/10 would get fooled again.
Servant Caster
Servant Caster
Goon
Servant Caster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 am

Post by Servant Caster »

In post 702, Servant Foreigner wrote:
In post 694, Servant Caster wrote:I guess I would feel very silly if after all this you were just town and I'm the only dumb-dumb who doesn't see it?

I honestly don't know which result I would like better when you get mastered. Either I am very wrong or this game is very lost.
In post 695, Servant Foreigner wrote:caster do you want to master beast or lancer?
Lancer says he doesn't want it and I'm not sure he would make a good leader even if he does IC.

Beast isn't trusted as much and I don't think he gets along with as many people.

Even though I do suspect Berserker to a large degree I guess it feels nice to have that weight lifted off my chest so I can know whether I'm right?

Honestly if Berserker is mafia he deserves to get this Mastery and I can't express how disappointed I am that nobody on townside really gave him much of a fight for it.

@Berserker do you want me to finish writing your case? It's already quite long.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:47 am

If you are writing it by all means! I thought you were saying you weren’t going to. I’d genuinely like your thoughts to look through.
Servant Caster
Servant Caster
Goon
Servant Caster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:48 am

Post by Servant Caster »

I am a sucker for putting myself through unnecessary suffering and I hope if you do flip mafia that this will buy me a ticket out of this game early so I won't have to suffer any longer.
Servant Alter Ego
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Goon

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:49 am

Post by Servant Alter Ego »

I think you should finish the case but only post it after he gets revealed, if he's town. That'd be the funniest option.
Servant Assassin
Servant Assassin
Goon
Servant Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:50 am

Post by Servant Assassin »

I would have loved it. Sadly, I so emulate my class I don't even think I exist to you caster.
Servant Caster
Servant Caster
Goon
Servant Caster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:35 am

Post by Servant Caster »

It's less than I wanted to write but I am a bit tired and I don't want anyone to wait too much on me.

I guess I am fine with Berserker being mastered at the end of it all :/ I just really hope he's town.

Spoiler: Crazy Things that Go On in My Head
The Initial Scum-Read:

: I really hate this type of comment. It's the type of "helpful" strategy advice that is tailored to be insightful/strategically pro-town yet really quite agenda-y.

I think it's possible that I have really been jaded by "appeal to authority" type approaches to pushing an agenda from certain news outlets so when someone says this I feel they are being somewhat duplicitous.

On a strategic level I don't agree with the idea of picking someone based on their "charisma" or "thread-control" level;

On the simplest level you can flip this 180 degrees and look at it from the scum point of view - if you are a highly charismatic player would you want to end up getting master'd if you can set your partners up with buff'd up roles and pin the blame on the town? I know if I were holding a red role pm I would definitely try to get mastered. Being Charismatic Scum is
difficult
, it takes quite a bit of effort to continue to weave the narrative. Sure you can fool the town for a day or two easily but it gets much harder as the days go on.

I find it much more natural and believable for a player to think about getting Master'd in terms of mechanically whether their NP can make a real difference in the game than whether they would be highly charismatic/townlead -> townleaders tend to be loud and influential even if they do not receive the IC card. Later he expands on his Appeal to Cabd by claiming that he’s the only suitable candidate in . So he creates the criteria, then he fulfills it himself – I just don’t feel this is genuinely being helpful – it’s more agenda-based setting yourself up.

Lastly in terms of pro-townness - I'm not sure it's as important to be a town leader in terms of getting people to work together as it is to be a good scum-hunter. You can foster thread-health / getting the team on the same page when you are not IC'd - good ideas are clearly good. However it's not as clear-cut what type of scum-read you have as it's less obvious what type of scum-hunting is genuine and what type of scum-hunting is not. Having an IC that is good at scum-hunting is pretty important in my opinion and I don't think Berserker or anyone has made claims that they have better than average read-rate and that's very disappointing to me.

This post pinged me because it felt a bit like TMI.

"make you town leader" seems to imply that giving the master to Assassin would end up with Assassin as town leader, this is something that Berserker can't know without knowing what Assassin's alignment actually is.

The first reaction I had when I read Assassin's post was to think about whether this is likely to be a town approach or a scum approach for a thread opening, it's something that I still don't really think I have a good answer one way or the other, it just feels weird to me that Berserker immediately leaps to the "this is not a good reason to make you town leader" from a strategic point of view instead of actually thinking about whether Assassin is scum trying to get Master'd on mech,.

Expanding Beyond

When I thought about how to figure out the difference between a scum versus a town trying to become mastered, I thought about how I would go about getting mastered if I was to be holding a red role pm. I feel that Berserker's play is closest to the way I would've done it. Not too hard, not too soft. Subtle yet firm, don't insist on getting master'd early, but gather the townreads and let the decision eventually turn to me in a natural kind of way.
Out of the three contenders, I feel his path was the most
sophisticated
with tactical and strategic thought behind how he planned this day to play out – whereas Assassin/Saber were more blunt about the mechanical side, I don’t think either of them made a sustained effort or really thought much before-hand about how to get across the finish line.

When I asked him when he decided he wanted to become Master, his response was simply that he thought he had no choice when he looked around and nobody else was qualified in his opinion.
I am in agreement with this sentiment – of all the players vying for mastery, none really can hold a candle to Berserker, it is unfortunately not a game where we have multiple attractive candidates.

Whether this is because the entire scum team felt they could not match him, or because they made a tactical decision to simply not try for it and let themselves get POE’d out of the game? I really can’t tell, but if this is a game where Berserker!Scum was coronated without resistance while the entirety of the town had not a single player put forth an effort that could have won the day, I’m not sure how I will feel about that tomorrow - I might not have it in me to try much more.

When I read through your iso in retrospect and in realtime, I keep getting the feeling that you don’t have any takes that are “unsafe” or really display thinking that’s willing to ro the boat. You admit you are mostly a POE player so it makes sense for you to adopt this style of play where you build ties with allies who townread you but scum you would also be doing this in order to glide through and pocket allies. I guess this is just part of who you are naturally and that’s why you’ve managed to attract so much support but I can’t really see what part of your ISO makes me stop and think "Berserker is definitely town" - and I don't really know what to make of this game state where everyone seems to townread you and be ok with pushing your coronation through.

I confess I do tend to be more paranoid of people who treat me well, you’ve been most kind and generous to me, probably more so than I deserve. The more I think about it, the more I hope you are just town so I can kick my shoes off and let you carry me for the rest of the game.
Servant Alter Ego
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Goon

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:38 am

At this point, if he's not town...I'd much rather find out now rather than having to worry about it down the line.
Servant Alter Ego
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Servant Alter Ego
Goon
Goon

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:46 am

I would like to at least give Caster's words consideration before voting, though. I don't have the time to process them fully right now.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:56 am

In post 354, Servant Berserker wrote:My accuracy depends on the style of game I’m playing. This style is my most accurate. I do well in my other styles too, but this type of game does a lot to help cover my weaknesses.
Only nitpick, Caster.
Servant Saber
Servant Saber
Goon
Servant Saber
Goon
Goon

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:38 am

Post by Servant Saber »

Been pretty sick lately. My goal is to catch up this weekend.

Nothing I have seen when trying to force myself to pay attention changes my reads but my comprehension ain't the best.
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:59 am

Post by Servant Beast »

I think the simple difference Caster is that Berserker has the patience, desire, and experience to get what they want. I don't really think modeling expectations of what town do and scum do off the fly is going to result in accuracy. Or at least, it has never worked for me. Though a lot of people have used Cabd's words of what scum *should* do versus what scum would actually do.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:04 am

What do you think scum would actually do?
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:10 am

Post by Servant Beast »

Depends on who the scum are, what they want, how they want to get it, their experience level, what they think the best course of action is and what they're emotionally comfortable doing.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:12 am

My point is this gives us a springboard to have a base idea of the optimal strategy for last game to prevent it from happening this game. Yes, obviously scum won’t do the optimal things both due to lack of knowledge and a plethora of other reasons. But by cutting off the optimal play we force them into a suboptimal play, which was my intention.
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am

Post by Servant Beast »

In my view, good town players are good town players regardless if they're IC's or not.

The optimal play is to pick the most mechanically powerful role with an excellent chance of being town.
Scum have arguably prevented this.

It's not a draw, in my opinion. We won this phase. But I prefer the ideal to the good. I don't think we're at risk of choosing scum this round. But I do think this phase of the game has ended and we just need to go forward with what we know.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:31 am

I don’t think we can ever be positive who has the best role.

I mean, I could just be putting my foot in my mouth. Maybe I’m super off, but what’s done is done. I’ll let people read over Casters case. But it’s time to move on and catch scum.
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Post by Servant Beast »

Just based off of players like Cabd and flavorleaf, I don't really think that's true. It's beyond my skill level. But I can see the edges a little. Or I have a partially detached retina. Either or.

But enough about memes!

Onward. Someone Hammer Berserker. Please.
Servant Berserker
Servant Berserker
Goon
Servant Berserker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Looking at you, lancer.
Servant Lancer
Servant Lancer
Goon
Servant Lancer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Post by Servant Lancer »

oh hi

sorry, I intended to reread stuff and then I started feeling really unwell

caster kind of ignored my reach out though

idk I'm probably fine to just move on as well. are we at 7 votes now?
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon
Servant Beast
Goon
Goon

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Post by Servant Beast »

Yes let's go.
Servant Beast
Servant Beast
Goon