Changes to Normal Games (update September 2022)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:15 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 688, Gypyx wrote:also kinda off topic but i wondered, would allowing the scumteam to assign the roles among them has room them has room for design in normals?
bumping this cuz it kinda got ignored but i think the idea has potential
White Flag : Carebear Edition is ongoing ! (13/13) hit me up if you wanna get on the priority replacement list / spectate

bottom text
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:27 am

Post by Dunnstral »

In my opinion that should stay in theme games, working with x player having y role should stay part of the normal experience
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:32 am

Post by T3 »

Would a goon enabler be normal?
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 am

Post by Gypyx »

In post 726, Dunnstral wrote:In my opinion that should stay in theme games, working with x player having y role should stay part of the normal experience
Normal games are about offering players a consistent experience though, and maybe it's a feature of normals, but i doubt many peoples are in for the "oh boy, can't wait to try to protect my teamate who happens to be important as scum !"

and Goon is the vanilla version of mafia, so it can't be enabled, just like you can't enable a serial killer
White Flag : Carebear Edition is ongoing ! (13/13) hit me up if you wanna get on the priority replacement list / spectate

bottom text
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

That would be a huge buff to scum and isn’t really a mechanic I see all that much.

A normal game is to give players a pretty standard Mafia experience without having to worry about bastard elements, off the wall design features etc… site meta should dictate what appears in normals and not vice versa
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:39 am

Post by Cook »

i'm willing to run a few open games where this is the case
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:57 am

Post by TemporalLich »

If we get the greylist back we could probably use it for Combined Goons (A Combined Goon Alien is a very strong ability!)
time will end
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Post by Cook »

I also propose
Gunbearer
and
Gunless
, which have the following abilities/modifiers:

Welcome! You are a
Mafia Traitor Gunbearer

You do not have access to the Mafia PT. Your partners are XXX and YYY. They do not know who you are but know you exist. If you are the only remaining Mafia member you will surrender and the Mafia will lose.

You have access to the Mafia's factional kill. At night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

so then you can modify this ability.

Welcome! You are a
Mafia Multitasking Roleblocker 2-Shot Compulsive Gunbearer

You have access to the Mafia's factional kill.

Twice in the game at night you must send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

In addition at night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player's action will be blocked.
You may perform both of these actions in the same night.

...or give it to a Townie/SK.

Welcome! You are a
Serial Killer 1-Shot Novice Gunbearer

At night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

In addition, once in the game (but not on Night 1), you have access to the Mafia's factional kill. At night you may send me the name of a player and indicate you are bearing the gun. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

and Gunless is a modifier that does the reverse.

Welcome! You are a
Gunless Mafia Rolestopper

You do not have access to the Mafia's factional kill. The game does not end if you are the last member of the Mafia remaining.
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Post by Ythan »

You have notably interesting and clever thoughts on mafia mechanics (notably even in a forum about mafia) and I've thought so for a while now.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Post by Cook »

In post 733, Ythan wrote:You have notably interesting and clever thoughts on mafia mechanics (notably even in a forum about mafia) and I've thought so for a while now.
Thank you!
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

gunbearer kinda is better for themes and (for non-Mafia) some bastard games

being able to modify the factional kill might be considered for Normalizing but I think proposing unique roles in the vein of Strongman for some more interesting factional kill combinations is better for a Normal as each combo can be looked at by the NRG

also add Strongman as a modifier (or just add Strong-Willed, which is imo better)
time will end
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 am

Post by lendunistus »

In post 732, Cook wrote:I also propose
Gunbearer
and
Gunless
, which have the following abilities/modifiers:

Welcome! You are a
Mafia Traitor Gunbearer

You do not have access to the Mafia PT. Your partners are XXX and YYY. They do not know who you are but know you exist. If you are the only remaining Mafia member you will surrender and the Mafia will lose.

You have access to the Mafia's factional kill. At night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

so then you can modify this ability.

Welcome! You are a
Mafia Multitasking Roleblocker 2-Shot Compulsive Gunbearer

You have access to the Mafia's factional kill.

Twice in the game at night you must send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

In addition at night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player's action will be blocked.
You may perform both of these actions in the same night.

...or give it to a Townie/SK.

Welcome! You are a
Serial Killer 1-Shot Novice Gunbearer

At night you may send me the name of a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

In addition, once in the game (but not on Night 1), you have access to the Mafia's factional kill. At night you may send me the name of a player and indicate you are bearing the gun. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.

and Gunless is a modifier that does the reverse.

Welcome! You are a
Gunless Mafia Rolestopper

You do not have access to the Mafia's factional kill. The game does not end if you are the last member of the Mafia remaining.
gunbearer as an all alignment modifier would probably never pass as normal since it alters the factional kill and redirector (which can do the same thing) is already an explicitly non-normal role

gunbearer/gunless could work as a mafia-only modifer though
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:27 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Echoing this from The "I need this role to be defined somewhere" thread:
In post 14, TemporalLich wrote:Defining some "Combined Goon X" combos here - which will also allow them to be on Serial Killers:

Enforcer - A role that roleblocks as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Roleblocker)
Squelcher - A role that rolestops as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Rolestopper)
Vaporizer - A role that uses alien ability as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Alien)
Wraith - A role that commutes as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Commuter)
time will end
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:43 am

Post by T3 »

Would a PoE version parity cop ever be normal? Like each night you put in 2 names and then you either get "same alignment" or different alignment.
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:31 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

What do people think of making it normal that vengeful disables in ELO/MELO?

Edit: or making it normal for a mod to choose functionality through modifiers, like what Cook suggested below.
Last edited by Dwlee99 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer they, thanks :)
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:10 am

Post by Cook »

Pressured

Role ceases to function when eliminating a member of its faction would cause that faction's loss.

ELo

Role only functions when the town not eliminating scum would cause a loss.

MeLo

Role only functions when the town eliminating one of their own would cause a loss.
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:14 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

1-shot + M/ELO modifiers could be interesting in games where it is unclear how many mafia there are.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 am

Post by Umlaut »

It's interesting that these would elevate the concepts of elo/melo into actual "rules of the game" territory, rather than being derived concepts emerging from the rules as I have always considered them to be.

I'm worried that any attempt to define precisely when a game is in ELo/MeLo is likely to have annoyingly counterintuitive edge cases. For example it could occur that Mafia would choose to no-kill in a situation where any kill would win them the game because they are worried about some possible combination of roles getting them in trouble if they kill the wrong person (even though that combination of roles doesn't actually exist in the setup, they might think it does). In that case has the Mafia already won or not? We can give general guidelines but in the end it is always a moderator judgment call, which means that whether the game was in ELo/MeLo the day before is a judgment call too, which means that as it stands the operation of a role with a ELo/MeLo modifier is subjective.

(Also ELo and MeLo are usually descriptions of a day phase whereas most roles function at night)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:53 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

I agree with your concerns and I think you would have to make these decisions during review if putting these modifiers into the game.

Edit: adding to the above, it could be made more concrete by making a general modifier of (this is a scuffed name) "x-differential" where the role disables when town - anti-town <= x. This gives the modifier clear use for both night and day phases imo and also resolves ambiguities wrt how the role would function in multiball.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:46 am

Post by TemporalLich »

maybe this could be a good way to implement such a gated role?:
In post 59, TemporalLich wrote:
Sleepy

Your role only functions if there are 5 or less players alive.

A roundabout way of making a role only function the Night before ELo or MeLo.
time will end
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 737, TemporalLich wrote:Echoing this from The "I need this role to be defined somewhere" thread:
In post 14, TemporalLich wrote:Defining some "Combined Goon X" combos here - which will also allow them to be on Serial Killers:

Enforcer - A role that roleblocks as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Roleblocker)
Squelcher - A role that rolestops as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Rolestopper)
Vaporizer - A role that uses alien ability as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Alien)
Wraith - A role that commutes as it performs a factional kill (Combined Goon Commuter)
I'd like to point out that any role which rolestops/aliens the target would, strictly speaking, prevent the kill from going through--so a Vaporizer/Squelcher could not actually kill their target when using the factional nightkill.
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by Dwlee99 »

The wiki for NAR says
For actions which combine two other actions use the first one listed.
This makes me believe a combined goon rolestopper would kill then rolestop.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:27 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 745, mastina wrote:
In post 737, TemporalLich wrote:Echoing this from The "I need this role to be defined somewhere" thread:

I'd like to point out that any role which rolestops/aliens the target would, strictly speaking, prevent the kill from going through--so a Vaporizer/Squelcher could not actually kill their target when using the factional nightkill.
The town equivalent would be Combined Vigilante Rolestopper and Combined Vigilante Alien - having rolestop prevent the kills from those roles would make those roles pointless and also make a Squelcher and a Vaporizer not Normal.

Perhaps Asceticizer (Rolestopper that doesn't stop kills) could be Normalized?

Not being able to combine the factional kill but being able to combine Vigilante leads to an asymmetry with weird kill roles - such are Town only. Strongman is an asymmetry in favor of factional kills, it can't be used as a modifier in Normal games so Strongman Vigilante isn't normal.

A Vaporizer that works like Mastina described (one that voids out the factional NK) I would probably describe as a Distracting Alien (
Distracting
is a modifier that means "Your faction may not use the factional kill if you use this ability, attempting to use this ability will reveal it in the Mafia PT")
time will end
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 747, TemporalLich wrote:Perhaps Asceticizer (Rolestopper that doesn't stop kills) could be Normalized?
You got Personal.
giv me pagetop :(
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 748, Kerset wrote:
In post 747, TemporalLich wrote:Perhaps Asceticizer (Rolestopper that doesn't stop kills) could be Normalized?
You got Personal.
yeah but you still have Vigilante.
time will end

Return to “Mafia Discussion”