Newbie 2079 | Open House | Game Over!!!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #625 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 623, Prism wrote:
In post 622, Prism wrote:-RH9's way of not really giving reads, calling everyone town,
These can seem a bit contradictory but this was meant to emphasize the paralysis and personal safety by hanging back, playing the noob card constantly, and not really going after anyone. Even the townreads are all surface and bland.
My view of RH9 is that he's young and extremely anxious, as evidenced by him taking 2 whole years to work up the courage to sign up for a game, and yo-yoing in the signups thread. I think the lack of confidence is very likely real and not performative. It's possible for people to lean into that as scum but here it doesn't feel performative in a way that's geared toward generating townreads.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #626 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Post by Prism »

I really hate that working my way up into the 20s cat actually beat me to half of my thoughts/questions I had here.
Son of a cat.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #627 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 571, CheekyTeeky wrote:The explanation is that I changed my mind.

Further obviously the people mentioning Connor today.
I think the fact that catboi and I both separately thought to ask a question about the same progression means you should probably talk more about it.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #628 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Post by Prism »

I also almost asked basically the same thing as 597 so in conclusion I hate my cat and I'm putting him up for adoption
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #629 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Post by Prism »

I've got to make a phone call but I'm basically done reading, will respond to your wall later cat
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #630 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Post by Prism »

Nevermind no call

ALRIGHT CAT I'M COMING
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #631 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Post by catboi »

Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #632 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:59 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 608, MargotRosa wrote:I'd also like some clarification: You never actually expressed any sort of read on RegRider, but expressed a strong dislike for the wagon on him. Why is that? Further, why did you hate it when you thought it was hammered early, only to retract that feeling when it turned out it wasn't?
I made clear that I didn't understand the Reg wagon in and wanted clarification of where it had come from, because something seemed off. Given that noone could give me an adequate explanation of why it had happened, I decided to distrust it.[/quote]I could track through all of this, but the shortest question I have is just: why was your vote on flow trap given all of this? Flow was the first vote on the wagon but then got off by the time you voted him, and was not on when you thought it was close to elimination.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #633 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:06 pm

Post by Prism »

I think we mostly agree on Snivy now even though I wasn't sure initially how to slot them. I think we know where we differ on RH9, too. I mostly agree on Cheeky even though the early transparency had them as a townread I recognize they can be performative.
In post 610, catboi wrote:I do think
Prism
is probably town at this point. My suspicion of her on entering the game was mostly a bluff to see how she'd react to it. Her response felt towny enough to me although I'm not sure how best to explain it here. It stuck me as genuine skepticism and annoyance at my push rather than the response of "drat, someone who knows me well replaced in and is scumreading me". I think the reflexive distrust of flow trap's townread of her is, in fact, a town-motivated thinking but a flawed one and was trying to get her to see the flaws in her thinking there. I buy her insistence she wouldn't have forced town to eliminate day 1 rather than letting it go to deadline.
This continues to bother me because it's unclear what reaction you were expecting or hoping for. It seems you might have wanted to dodge the too-quick TR scumread from me by going the opposite way, but this was something you've seen repeatedly with me. I didn't find the way you challenged it to be in good faith but something with the hope of playing the paranoia angle before having the gator snap its jaws on your arm instead.

I think the entire way I speak about gametime decisions-"mistake" "punish" "free", etc, makes the EOD play I make obvious. The townread WIFOM is not worth the price of giving town an elim.
In post 610, catboi wrote:
MargotRosa
mostly just seemed like obvious scum to me, and the reception of her in-thread showed how people have a vulnerability to well-formatted wall posts. I found the analysis in them mostly undercooked, and since that point, she largely fell off. The awkwardness in her shifting reasoning for suspecting Prism felt to me like scum who was making up justification after the fact and forgot what their original reasoning was supposed to be.
I agreed with this gut feeling that they're obvious scum but that feeling has been lacking in rigor for me. I don't like to trust gut. I did like opposing RegRider and going on flow because of my own reads, which caused me to rein it in a bit.

I'll review the more specific interactions you highlighted when I next get the spirit
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #634 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Post by Prism »

I really have no clue how to feel about catboi right now. Part of me wants to policy him because of that starting interaction with me. The other part of me says if you assume he's town, which is a giant assumption, our reads mostly line up.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #635 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:23 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 633, Prism wrote:It seems you might have wanted to dodge the too-quick TR scumread from me by going the opposite way, but this was something you've seen repeatedly with me. I didn't find the way you challenged it to be in good faith but something with the hope of playing the paranoia angle before having the gator snap its jaws on your arm instead.
Full disclosure: this was somewhat intentional on my part. By the time I caught up, I recognized that you were very unlikely to trust me by virtue of 1. me occupying a slot you had previously scumread 2. me having a ton of baggage that's not worth going into. I recognized a straightforward appeal to you might lead to an unproductive back and forth. So my move was to get your attention and try to challenge your thinking in my questioning. You're right that it was a tactical decision, I just did it as town, because even though I'm being honest I need to concern myself with how to approach people.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #636 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Post by Prism »

This is too reasonable and too personally validating to be real. I refuse to believe this is the real you.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #637 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:30 pm

Post by catboi »

Can you see the real me?

Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #638 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Post by Prism »

I'm gonna do it

I don't think there's any way you calmly explain that I was, in fact, exactly right with my perception of you as town. Either the claws would have come out and the eyes would have been scratched at or the jokes at my expense would have come out.

VOTE: catboi
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #639 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Post by catboi »

I specifically would try to avoid doing the former in a newbie game. You yourself had expressed a desire to not play "cat and mouse" so I've toned it down. As it is, my perception of the game is that it is mostly lethargic with my own slot being a not particularly trusted one so my mission has been to interrogate people to try to hold them accountable for their reads and then try to get my view of the game out as clearly as possible.

That being said, if I am right and you are wrong, I get the personal satisfaction of laughing all the way to the end of
you being wrong on me, yet again
. What better joke is there than that?
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #640 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Post by RH9 »

I'm going to make a table of observations, so far, again of everybody who is still alive.
RH9's Observations
Player Notes
Connordragon07 Can't say anything about him for Day 2 because the only posts that were posted were somewhat neutral. See Posts and .
MargotRosa Seems to have gotten a guilty report. See Post and other posts.
camelCasedSnivy Probably pro-Town, though not the most active. See their posts.
CheekyTeeky Among the most active for Day 2. Probably pro-Town. See their posts.
catboi Among the most active for Day 2. Seems more Town than flow trap was. See their posts.
Prism Among the most active for Day 2, and probably the Town Leader. See their posts.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #641 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:25 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 640, RH9 wrote:Seems to have gotten a guilty report. See Post 595 and other posts.
...Why are you assuming Margot has a guilty report on you?
Connordragon07
Connordragon07
Townie
Connordragon07
Townie
Townie

Post Post #642 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:03 pm

Post by Connordragon07 »

I am back, have had a headache the past 2 days (dunno why I haven't been prodded yet) but I'll try and put my opinions in here a bit.

Catboi: Despite swapping in for a person that I didn't really like just for what seemed like a push with zero reason at the time, they definitely feel more townie than Flow Trap (even if they may make my head hurt a bit while reading their posts lol).

Prism: Still feels as townie as they did throughout Day 1 and the start of Day 2, still town leader imo but I don't really wanna vote up Catboi for now.

Cheeky: They're fine. Don't really heavily townread them and probably slightly townlean them but imo they're fine.

Snivy: Even though they said they always act like that, town and mafia alike, I still feel like the giving up early on D1 and voting themselves was townie.

RH9: Eh, slight scumread, don't like all the talk of "If I was mafia," earlier in the day.

MargotRosa: Probably my biggest scumread, even though it was ages ago now I still can't give up the fact that they tried to get Prism voted with false evidence.

Out of everyone I feel like I'll VOTE: MargotRosa but if we end up piling onto RH9 instead or you can change my mind on any of the others then I'm fine to hop onto them.
camelCasedSnivy
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
camelCasedSnivy
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #643 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:53 am

Post by camelCasedSnivy »

In post 642, Connordragon07 wrote: Snivy: Even though they said they always act like that, town and mafia alike, I still feel like the giving up early on D1 and voting themselves was townie.
It's really not but sure
master at being scum(my)
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #644 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 641, catboi wrote:
In post 640, RH9 wrote:Seems to have gotten a guilty report. See Post 595 and other posts.
...Why are you assuming Margot has a guilty report on you?
It seems to me so because of even though she thought that there was Mafia on the RegRider bandwagon, she voted for me instead of anybody on the bandwagon. She seems really certain that I am Mafia which means that either she recieved a guilty report as Town, knows my real role as a Mafia Rolecop, or knows that I'm not Mafia but is aware that it is easier to convince everybody that this is true, to stop future PR hunts. I think that either are equally likely.

v/la every weekend

catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #645 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am

Post by catboi »

VOTE: RH9

This is the most daft thing I've seen someone do in a game, ever.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #646 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:49 am

Post by Prism »

I really don't know what to say to someone who seems to think that it is possible for a power role to receive a false (?) guilty on them.

VOTE: RH9
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #647 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am

Post by Prism »

Presumably "knows my real role as a Mafia Rolecop" is saying Margot is the Rolecop rather than RH9 but uhhhh

Yeah. It's a statement.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #648 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 am

Post by catboi »

I'm wondering if there's a language barrier thing here because I really cannot comprehend claiming scum unprompted, although I rule nothing out of the realm of possibility in newbie games. It's still incomprehensible to me why he'd assume it's possible for town to have a guilty report on him if he's town.

UNVOTE:

Don't want any possibility of a hammer just yet.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #649 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:07 am

Post by RH9 »

Oh, I meant that she could fake a guilty report since there has been nobody who had claimed anything, and. nobody should claim anything. And by the way, I was listing possibilities. I highly doubt that MargotRosa is a Town Cop, because the real Town Cop will probably just really quiet because outing as PR is not a good idea until E-1. Especially, since Mafia might NK the Cop. Note, I'm probably not going to claim anything until E-1 but if I flip Town, then it is most certain that MargotRosa is not Town Cop, and that means that Mafia was on both wagons or soon to be wagons.

v/la every weekend

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”