newbie 2080: correct statements (this is over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Galron
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:50 am

Post by Galron »

In post 298, Val89 wrote:First, you say this...
In post 295, Galron wrote:Margot really doesn't like rvs.
...which makes me think you are paying attention and have spotted some of same stuff in Margots posting. +10 town points.

Then you go and vote Mew :lol:

Is that another one of these moments?
In post 176, Galron wrote:I'm interested in the fluff:substance ratio.
In post 239, Galron wrote:wrt to Spangled, whoever pointed out fluff to substance ratio got me thinking
I don't understand what 176 and 239 are indicative of to you.
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:23 pm

Post by Val89 »

I just chuckled, imagining you talking to yourself.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Sorry I've been out of town (pardon the pun) for the last few days, but I have reread or skimmed the entirety of D1 so far.
"Spangled, on the other hand is much more straightforward, and everything else aside, if they aren't the pair; and I have to decide if I am in a newbie game where mafia is trying to scam us with a ridiculous display of open-wolfing, or a more traditional nervous newbscum just slipping here and there slightly, and I think that being honest with myself I have to conclude the latter as more probable."
Val the issue I have here is I think you're tunneling too hard. You're picking up on lots of small "tells" here and there and it looks like a plausible newbscum. I see much of this attributed to personal playstyle. Which posts do you think have a nervous tone to them? His constant questioning seems like his choice, rather than aiming to misdirect town. I would say he is scumleaning at most, and certainly more pro-town than Galron. Both of them I wouldn't lim D1.
My preference for D1 would be Cook, on account of the questionable strat she pushed. I'm not willing to support any wagon yet tho - I feel there's a scum we're not seeing
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by Thynhith »

@Val can I get your opinion on the possibility of scum!Darby?
I'm starting to sound like spangled now, aren't I?
Yeah I've pretty much decided now - barring anything unexpectedly damning, my top preference is Cook. VOTE: Cook
Val I dislike how you initially zoned in on her strat, and I'm not comfortable using that alone, but it's her other anti-town behaviour that makes scum!Cook much more likely (periodic lurking, no substance, refusal to cooperate, etc)
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 302, Thynhith wrote:Val the issue I have here is I think you're tunneling too hard. You're picking up on lots of small "tells" here and there and it looks like a plausible newbscum.
It's possible. The issue is that in most games scum don't walk in and announce themselves (which is exactly why I decided to vote Spangled over Cook, in the end), scum do reveal themselves by way of small tells here and there.
In post 302, Thynhith wrote:Which posts do you think have a nervous tone to them? His constant questioning seems like his choice, rather than aiming to misdirect town.
I'm not taking issue with the questioning in and of itself. The 'nervousness' is in how his own slot is being received, and he seems to have been keen to remind us of all the townie things other people said he had been doing. I give examples in the spoiler of ; which he then owns up to in . I admit the mere fact of acknowledging it works in his favour, but I think it wouldn't have gone well for him to deny it, given how self-evident it has been.

Town don't usually worry about how your slot is being perceived - that's a scum trait. Fine, you would rather avoid getting mislimmed if you can help it, and people can get defensive under pressure, but it's not normally a priority to solicit feedback on your own standing, or remind how towny you are.
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:27 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 303, Thynhith wrote:@Val can I get your opinion on the possibility of scum!Darby?
I'll give my initial opinions on all the slots, if you like.

I'm townreading
DArby
. I think I got a little advantage on this one because I replaced in. I was reading a game already in progress, and while doing so, I found on more than one occasion the thoughts and questions I had were being often asked by DArby a couple of posts later. I've found this in other games and considered it a towntell, and it hasn't let me down yet. He also seems to be trying to drive the day towards an elimination even if have a slight disagreement on whom is the better choice for today (cf , ). That might not always be a +town thing, but it has been directed against legitimately scummy players, and I think scum would be more content to let this game stall out a bit, which it has potential to do.

I'm also townreading
Roden
, because I've lost 2 of my games to a scum!Roden now, and recently, so I think if there was any funny business going on with respect to him, I think I would be hyper alert to it. I felt like I was having my ego massaged a little bit when I entered, but the feeling is mutual, I think he is an excellent player too, else I wouldn't be losing to him, and apart from that, I haven't seen anything that pings me.

Roden does say in his last post that he doesn't "feel great about Darby's alignment", so I have looked since at what scummy things DArby has been accused of, and I don't agree. Margot seems to be the only one with justification, and it's extremely weak to my eyes. To describe , or and the correction of a formatting issue in as "ISO filler" is really stretching it. The only thing that might legitimately be criticised was the Spangled E-2 vote at , but it was explained (and unvoted) at when pointed out; and I'm willing to accept that explanation over it being a scum motivated attempt at securing a quick hammer on page 3. How many games do scum
actually
manage to pull that off and not immediately get the boot next day? Not many, I'll wager.

I don't really think I have enough of a handle on you,
Thynhith
, or
Facebones
, to call you anything other than null. Certainly I think Spangled's TR on Facebones was unjustified, and if it is TMI, that makes them townleaning, which is one thing I think we might get out of a Spangled flip today.

MargotRosa, I said I was townleaning by default because of her spat with Cook not feeling SvS, but I've not liked her justification on her reads much, but apparently she was only considering the first 5 pages, so we shall see. I'm feeling
MargotRosa
a little more scumleaning of late as a result.

Galron is a bit of an enigma for me right now. I see reasons to call it both ways. He says and does things that makes me think he isn't paying all that much attention to the game, or else is just anti-town if true, like , and then says some insightful stuff in a couple of words which make it clear HE is following and thinking in the same directions I am, like and . If you had to pin me down right now, I would say overall
Galron
is a very slight townlean as of now, but I have oscillated a little bit with this slot.

You know my opinions on
Spanged
, and
Cook
. I think that covers everything.
Galron
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Post by Galron »

Okay I think Word has made a convicing push, where I haven't been as thorough as he.

VOTE: cook
Galron
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Post by Galron »

ofc that assumes word is town, but day 1 I'm willing to take that
DArby
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Post by DArby »

Cook. You’re now at e-2. If you have any better defense nows the time to use it. We only have 3 days left.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Phew I was not expecting a full read list, but I'll take it. Fairly reassuring that you have similar reads to me (or maybe too reassuring). I considered Roden and Darby to be townleaning, though I don't have your prior experience with them to say that with as much confidence. Mainly because they the ones pushing people and contributing discussion, consistently. As for Facebones and Margot, I still consider them both null, who lack enough content for me to be sure. Margot's interaction with Cook seemed genuine enough, so I don't think her misreads make her scumleaning. Galron I consider scumleaning, and I'm not sure I could justify reading him as town with such blatantly anti-town behavior. "make it clear HE is following and thinking in the same directions I am, like and 295" is rather ironic because he immediately follows 295 with
In post 296, Galron wrote:VOTE: mewtaph

What say you, mew?
..showing he missed something as important as a replacement.
Anyways, those are my thoughts. Already said how Spangled is too ambiguous to lim now. I'm very curious about how Cook will flip, and about who gets NKd.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:25 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 306, Galron wrote:Okay I think Word has made a convicing push, where I haven't been as thorough as he.

Who is Word? guessing that's not an acronym
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Post by Thynhith »

UNVOTE: Cook
Unvoting until near EoD, in case someone lolhammers
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Ah crap it looks like I miscounted, with this VOTE: Cook, you're back at E-2.
DArby wrote:Cook. You’re now at e-2. If you have any better defense nows the time to use it. We only have 3 days left.
Galron
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Post by Galron »

In post 310, Thynhith wrote:
In post 306, Galron wrote:Okay I think Word has made a convicing push, where I haven't been as thorough as he.

Apologies. Mixed him up with another player.
Galron
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Galron
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Post by Galron »

In post 311, Thynhith wrote:UNVOTE: Cook
In post 312, Thynhith wrote:Ah crap it looks like I miscounted, with this VOTE: Cook, you're back at E-2.
DArby wrote:Cook. You’re now at e-2. If you have any better defense nows the time to use it. We only have 3 days left.
Huh?

You acknowledge that Cook is at lolhammer territory, then you make surprise that Cook's at E2 after your unvote.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:12 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 314, Galron wrote:
In post 311, Thynhith wrote:UNVOTE: Cook
In post 312, Thynhith wrote:Ah crap it looks like I miscounted, with this VOTE: Cook, you're back at E-2.
Huh?

You acknowledge that Cook is at lolhammer territory, then you make surprise that Cook's at E2 after your unvote.
No, no. Cook was never in lolhammer territory, but I miscounted and thought she was at E-1 so I unvoted. I'm revoting because that puts her at E-2, not E-1.
In post 313, Galron wrote:
In post 310, Thynhith wrote:

Apologies. Mixed him up with another player.
Who's "him"? You couldn't be less verbose if you tried.
Roden
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Roden
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Post by Roden »

I don't think any of the players here would lolhammer, and if any did I'd consider it a scum claim regardless of Cook's alignment flip, since it doesn't really seem like it's in anyone's town range. I'm tempted to put Cook at E-1 just to see if anyone actually would fall for it, but honestly I'd rather she just start defending herself. I don't understand the silence on her end, like what's the point of it here? She has to know it just makes her look bad, so why is she doing it?
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Post by Cook »

let's not do my strategy this game

next time sure

not this one

i've tried to make it clear by my disinterest in my own wagon that you're in the wrong place

uhh

no thoughts

head empty

this is not an optimal way to try to talk your fellow players down
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
"If Mafia game not filling, you have not enough hostages" — Enchant //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
DArby
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:11 pm

Post by DArby »

In post 317, Cook wrote:let's not do my strategy this game

next time sure

not this one

i've tried to make it clear by my disinterest in my own wagon that you're in the wrong place

uhh

no thoughts

head empty

this is not an optimal way to try to talk your fellow players down
Okay, that’s all the time I’ve got. I got to get back to playing Animal Crossing New Leaf on my Nintendo 3DS.

Let's just end this day plz n thk u
DArby
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Post by DArby »

I'll be incredibly disappointed if Cook flips green and only joined this game to break a newbie setup vs actually scumhunting.

Like so disappointed.
DArby
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
DArby
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Post by DArby »

Fuck me sideways and call me Susan I actually want to get off the wagon I've been pushing all d1.

Eh, I'll sleep on it.
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:58 pm

Post by Spangled »

In post 316, Roden wrote:I don't think any of the players here would lolhammer, and if any did I'd consider it a scum claim regardless of Cook's alignment flip, since it doesn't really seem like it's in anyone's town range.
eh this is some people’s first games, I think
or no actually just Thynhith’s IIRC, and he doesn’t seem like he’d lolhammer, but there’s a first time for everything
he could be a lolhammerer in the making!
I proved myself a coward, who would desert a dying man.
---
Check out 15.ai, it does generated voices for characters and it’s pretty neat.
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Post by Spangled »

I agree with Val’s assessment that Cook putting forward the same strategy as she did in the scumgame, essentially the same exact one, is incredibly scummy.
This could be a bus, but Cook wasn’t under
that
much pressure before Val repped in, and Val could have just left out the whole Cook thing and gone straight for me, no repercussions and no consequences because after all, ‘he was just trying to elim scum’.
By no means does it rule out Val being scum, but I think there’s no way this is SvS.
---
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:32 pm

Post by Spangled »

As to the Facebones read — he did the
towniest
things
that
had
been done so far, damnit, at least
to
my eyes; you may think differently but disagreeing on reads shouldn’t be a part of your
scumcase
of someone.

You
have to think back to what it was like, on
page
5 or whatever, whenever I made that Facebones read. Galron had said one-liners and little else — huh actually maybe nothing’s changed here — and by and large all we’d talked about was Cook’s strategy. Very little that was
AI
there. Sure Roden had been
helpful
but anyone can post links or be helpful; scum often do it earlygame to get some sweet, sweet cheap towncred.
Not
that Roden’s scum, and not that that kinda stuff can’t aid town, but it’s not AI-
enough
, if you know what I mean.

Then Facebones comes in, and
snap
question
snap
question, poking and prodding, trying to see why people are doing what. Which is towny, imo; the best way to
catch
scum is to force them to take stances on things so that later in the game you can see if their progression makes sense, or has an ulterior motive. And when I first played scum in mafia I found those questions incredibly intimidating; they would stress me out and I’d
slip
up. That’s why I try to ask questions; it helps doubly, triply. And he had some of the same thoughts that I had, which I think is towny. Mindmeld can’t happen with scum — at least, I hope. There wasn’t much of it yet, but I wanted more; having someone in mafia who you’ll back you up and who backs you up feels so good. So maybe there was some wishful thinking there, sure.

But I still think that for his little post count Facebones has been pretty
towny
, and pending some kind of reread I’ll stick with it.
---
Spangled
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Spangled
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:02 pm

Post by Spangled »

In post 323, Spangled wrote:As to the Facebones read — he did the
towniest
things
that
had
been done so far, damnit, at least
to
my eyes; you may think differently but disagreeing on reads shouldn’t be a part of your
scumcase
of someone.
and, yeah, it’s not that
simple
, but that’s still a part of your read, IIRC
---

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”