Newbie 2082 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Post by MafMen »

mind you greeting is off in a world of their own
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
igorsprite
igorsprite
Goon
igorsprite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Post by igorsprite »

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by Micc »

Votecount 1.07
Thynhith (3) -
implosion, frogsfrogs, catboi
Greeting (2) -
Val89, igorsprite
Val89 (1) -
Greeting
igorsprite (1) -
Thynhith

Not Voting (2) -
pseudoAristotle, MafMen

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to eliminate.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2021-11-05 22:05:00).
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by Val89 »

Yeah, I agree, but all the takes he gives that make me go "What the fuck?"; you seem to end up defending or complaining about semantics or whatever.

I wonder if there is some of sort of comprehension issue between the two of us and we are debating two different issues without realising.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him; they/them

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:40 pm

Post by Greeting »

I’m pretty confident in my stance. MafMen is pretty confident in their stance. Val89 is pretty confident in their stance.

If the two of you are town and we all stay adamant, in combination with a claimed Tracker, then this game is lost and tbf we deserve it.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 278, Val89 wrote:I wonder if there is some of sort of comprehension issue between the two of us and we are debating two different issues without realising.
Congratulations, you just described the entire second half of this game so far.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 278, Val89 wrote:Yeah, I agree, but all the takes he gives that make me go "What the fuck?"; you seem to end up defending or complaining about semantics or whatever.

I wonder if there is some of sort of comprehension issue between the two of us and we are debating two different issues without realising.
honestly i wouldnt be surprised LOL
i havent agreed with (no offense greeting) any of his takes, from what i understood the difference in opinion is whether or not they are towny or scummy for them
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Post by Val89 »

Problem is, I'm not entirely sure what MafMens' stance actually
is
at present.

A claimed tracker at this stage is far from ideal, but if you are town, and right not I think that's such a huge ask for me to beleive, you running around basically rolecoping yourself for scum, and throwing around such wild and anti-town plays with every other breath isn't helping very much, is it?
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by frogsfrogs »

In post 267, MafMen wrote:
In post 266, Val89 wrote:Sorry, but that's bullshit. It's basically the only defense that would fly.

You are trying to tell me if you are scum, you would consider shooting a claimed VT with 2 PRs outstanding, unless you thought there was a chance they were lying?
there is a good chance that any mafia in a game decides to shoot a townread player instead of doing a potentially low reward act of pr hunting
theres also shit like fearkilling
In post 273, Val89 wrote:Can some other people weigh in here, please, because I am starting to doubt my reality.

Are these two talking out their arses, or have I taken a blow to the head or something?
Yeah no, sorry MafMen, you're misreading Val's argument here I think. It's not "does a VT claim survive until late game", it's "if you are still around in late game as scum, how do you defend yourself?" He's saying claiming VT early prepares a narrative. That's what I'm reading, at least.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:53 pm

Post by MafMen »

was this so called wild and antitown play me disagreeing with your takes on greeting?
my only stance ive ever had throughout this entire argument is that your takes on greeting are completely ass backwards and downright wrong
frogsfrogs wrote:
In post 267, MafMen wrote:
In post 266, Val89 wrote:Sorry, but that's bullshit. It's basically the only defense that would fly.

You are trying to tell me if you are scum, you would consider shooting a claimed VT with 2 PRs outstanding, unless you thought there was a chance they were lying?
there is a good chance that any mafia in a game decides to shoot a townread player instead of doing a potentially low reward act of pr hunting
theres also shit like fearkilling
In post 273, Val89 wrote:Can some other people weigh in here, please, because I am starting to doubt my reality.

Are these two talking out their arses, or have I taken a blow to the head or something?
Yeah no, sorry MafMen, you're misreading Val's argument here I think. It's not "does a VT claim survive until late game", it's "if you are still around in late game as scum, how do you defend yourself?" He's saying claiming VT early prepares a narrative. That's what I'm reading, at least.
yes and im saying that defense will never work because its completely unbelievable
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Post by Val89 »

Maybe it would be completely unbelievable to you, perhaps, but it only takes a slot or two to buy it - and it's much better than having NO excuse, right?
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Post by frogsfrogs »

In post 248, frogsfrogs wrote:I absolutely cannot see why Val would be scum and have posted the way/what he has so far. That sus from Greeting is my largest point of confusion with him, so yes, I'd really like for him to elaborate on the read, too.
Greeting, will you explain your current stance on Val more than in 225?
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:00 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 284, MafMen wrote:was this so called wild and antitown play me disagreeing with your takes on greeting?
I wasn't refering to you, I was replying to Greeting there. Sorry for not making it clear.
In post 279, Greeting wrote:If the two of you are town and we all stay adamant, in combination with a claimed Tracker, then this game is lost and tbf we deserve it.
"A claimed tracker at this stage is far from ideal, but if you (Greeting) are town, and right now I think that's such a huge ask for me to beleive, you (Greeting) running around basically rolecoping yourself for scum, and throwing around such wild and anti-town plays with every other breath isn't helping very much, is it?"

Better?
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:02 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 285, Val89 wrote:Maybe it would be completely unbelievable to you, perhaps, but it only takes a slot or two to buy it - and it's much better than having NO excuse, right?
and thats where my problems lies
this level of theory crafting for scum!greeting to have employed a strategy thats only better than having nothing is nonsense
not to mention it is a huggeeeeeeeeee ass stretch
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 287, Val89 wrote:I wasn't refering to you, I was replying to Greeting there. Sorry for not making it clear.
ah my bad thought that bottom part was directed at me since the top had my name in it lol
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Post by Val89 »

MafMen wrote:
In post 285, Val89 wrote:Maybe it would be completely unbelievable to you, perhaps, but it only takes a slot or two to buy it - and it's much better than having NO excuse, right?
and thats where my problems lies
this level of theory crafting for scum!greeting to have employed a strategy thats only better than having nothing is nonsense
not to mention it is a huggeeeeeeeeee ass stretch
Nah, sorry, this shouldn;t be contraversial at all. I don't even know
what
, nevermind why we are debating any more.
In post 283, frogsfrogs wrote:It's not "does a VT claim survive until late game", it's "if you are still around in late game as scum, how do you defend yourself?" He's saying claiming VT early prepares a narrative. That's what I'm reading, at least.
It's clear other slots are getting it, so I am just going to chalk this up to you misunderstanding what I've driving at.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Post by MafMen »

now is that directed at me or frogs lol? if its me then i have absolutely understood
scum!greeting claims vt early to set up the defense of "im alive because mafia is pr hunting" if they are still around in the lategame
and like i said that is a huge stretch
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Post by Val89 »

Then, no, MafMen, clearly you haven't understood. I'm not saying that's why scum!greeting has claimed VT.

Alright, let's try it this way. What good (for town) has Greeting claiming VT at this point done, in your eyes?
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 264, Val89 wrote:For the newer players amongst us, if this wasn't clear - apart from the obvious fact that it reduces the townspace for our PRs to hide amogst; the other reason claiming or hinting you are a VT this early is scummy as hell is because it sets up the excuse as to why a scum player doesn't die at night.

In normal circumstances, if a player you might expect mafia to eliminate; because they are widely townread, for example, is constantly surviving the NK, you might start to draw conclusions from that, and scum want to have something in place to point to to explain why they are still alive on D4 or whatever. In this case, that will be "well, they want to take out the PRs, obviously, so why would they shoot me?" rather than the actual reason being mafia obvious don't NK mafia.
tf is this then if not exactly what i just said
anyway the claim does nothing for town
~ Klick
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Post by MafMen »

which is why i said i dont agree with anything theyve done, just how youve interpreted them
~ Klick
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 293, MafMen wrote:anyway the claim does nothing for town
OK. If you mean nothing positive for town, I agree. Progress.

What does it do for scum?
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Post by MafMen »

In post 295, Val89 wrote:
In post 293, MafMen wrote:anyway the claim does nothing for town
OK. If you mean nothing positive for town, I agree. Progress.

What does it do for scum?
it does what you proposed yes
but crazy thought, what about every other reality where greeting is just town making a blunder?
~ Klick
igorsprite
igorsprite
Goon
igorsprite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Post by igorsprite »

VOTE: Thynhith
Val89
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Val89
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Post by Val89 »

In post 296, MafMen wrote:it does what you proposed yes
Then what the fuck are we doing arguing here, and why the hell is it taking us doing it in babysteps like this to come to a common understanding?

Is this part 2 of you calling me "gross and disingenous" because it turns out you didn't like the phrase I used to describe it?
In post 296, MafMen wrote: but crazy thought, what about every other reality where greeting is just town making a blunder?
That isn't what you've been saying all this time, is? If you had said "Yeah, Val is right, Greeting is hurting town's prospects here, but I just think he is silly town, not scum", we would have been having a totally different conversation this entire time.

If a player is acting in a way that hurts town and benefits scum, particulary a player who tells us the've played about 30 mafia games, and still doesn't recognise what they are doing is anti-town; then I think it's incumbent on YOU, MafMen, to tell the rest of the field why it's more likely that player is town, and the player pointing it out is scum; as you originally infered when you voted me for doing so.
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Post by frogsfrogs »

That's E-1. Thynhith is still gone and might be for another day or so. I absolutely think this is where we should be voting, with Greeting creeping up into being my second choice if he won't / can't sufficiently explain his vote being where it is right now.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”