Newbie 2086 - Reaction GIFs | End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:11 am

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1-2

butterchurn
(2): V0ID, ɀefiend
GeorgeBailey
(1): Not Known 15
FancyPants
(1): butterchurn
ahhlo
(1): Cape90
catboi
(1): GeorgeBailey
Cape90
(1): catboi

Not Voting
(3): FancyPants, ahhlo

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate.

Deadline: January 4, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2022-01-03 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- Fancypants has (expired on 2021-12-22 14:49:32) to post before I must seek a replacement.
- :]
Last edited by fferyllt on Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:05 am

Post by butterchurn »

So... anyone want to get in an argument over something minor that is probably a null tell, thus creating some content for everyone to discuss and react to? That's how things usually get started, right? Silence is good for scum.

Oh, and sorry if I get mixed up and use the wrong terminology (if I ever say "rogue", I mean "mafia"). Old habits. Y'all use "NIA" instead of "null tell", I think.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am

Post by catboi »

In post 26, butterchurn wrote:So... anyone want to get in an argument over something minor that is probably a null tell, thus creating some content for everyone to discuss and react to? That's how things usually get started, right? Silence is good for scum.

Oh, and sorry if I get mixed up and use the wrong terminology (if I ever say "rogue", I mean "mafia"). Old habits. Y'all use "NIA" instead of "null tell", I think.
Game is slow-ish but I was being entirely serious that I found cape's need to announce his presence in the game right away to be overly self-aware in a scummy sort of way, that early in the game not having posted should hardly be a concern for anyone, that he felt the need to establish that fact might be a sign that he's scum worried about keeping up appearances (there's nuances to this but not really going to bother with that right now).

If I were to call upon my chat mafia background to torture out some alignment guesses based on minimal posting, I'd call you town for being humorous in a carefree sort of way and trying to keep the conversation going, zefiend town for the slightly serious vote on you with a question, and NK15 as town for poking at George to do things. The others are potentially mafia.

I don't strongly believe most of these but if I'm going to force content might as well go in on it.

(I still use "null tell" but it is perhaps because I am old, it's definitely fallen off in usage)
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am

Post by fferyllt »

notscience replaces FancyPants. Please welcome him!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Post by notscience »

hi guys gals and non-binary pals

I’m at the gym but will be here in like two hours. I’m side eyeing GB and NK15 atm, the former more than the latter.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Post by notscience »

Actually, I agree with catboi.

VOTE: Cape
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:04 pm

Post by catboi »

Hai noddy, make the game easy for me if you're town~

Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Post by Cape90 »

In post 27, catboi wrote:
In post 26, butterchurn wrote:So... anyone want to get in an argument over something minor that is probably a null tell, thus creating some content for everyone to discuss and react to? That's how things usually get started, right? Silence is good for scum.

Game is slow-ish but I was being entirely serious that I found cape's need to announce his presence in the game right away to be overly self-aware in a scummy sort of way, that early in the game not having posted should hardly be a concern for anyone, that he felt the need to establish that fact might be a sign that he's scum worried about keeping up appearances (there's nuances to this but not really going to bother with that right now).

If I were to call upon my chat mafia background to torture out some alignment guesses based on minimal posting, I'd call you town for being humorous in a carefree sort of way and trying to keep the conversation going, zefiend town for the slightly serious vote on you with a question, and NK15 as town for poking at George to do things. The others are potentially mafia.

I don't strongly believe most of these but if I'm going to force content might as well go in on it.

(I still use "null tell" but it is perhaps because I am old, it's definitely fallen off in usage)
"Man, I promise, I'm so self-conscious
That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches"

I am glad I can at least provide a conversation piece for the game as literally everything else that isn't revolving around me right now is, well, just some basic introduction posts. I didn't really take your push on me as all that serious. I dunno what you are on about on the whole "keeping up appearances" thing, like that doesn't make much sense to me. For context on why I do that, I usually play shorter games with more strict deadlines and obviously, that would mean that things move by faster usually at the SoD. Not like I expected things to move fast and all that. But eh.
In post 27, catboi wrote:I don't strongly believe most of these but if I'm going to force content might as well go in on it.
In post 27, catboi wrote:(I still use "null tell" but it is perhaps because I am old, it's definitely fallen off in usage)
I do get that certain feel of need to get the ball rolling in this game though. I don't know why it sounds like RIGHT NOW you are expecting yourself to have some really strong tell in the game so far, both the quoted strike me as odd in post 27.
In post 30, notscience wrote:Actually, I agree with catboi.

This feels like pretty classic scum play already.

VOTE: notscience
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Post by notscience »

Why is that classic scum play?
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 32, Cape90 wrote:For context on why I do that, I usually play shorter games with more strict deadlines and obviously, that would mean that things move by faster usually at the SoD. Not like I expected things to move fast and all that. But eh.
I am aware, I've spectated champs on MU and know there's very different expectations regarding pace of play and that there's a lot more emphasis on real-time interaction (you still get that here in certain games, but more in large themes or games with certain player lists). Still it pinged me enough that I thought I might poke at it to kick things off.
In post 32, Cape90 wrote:
In post 27, catboi wrote:I don't strongly believe most of these but if I'm going to force content might as well go in on it.
In post 27, catboi wrote:(I still use "null tell" but it is perhaps because I am old, it's definitely fallen off in usage)
I do get that certain feel of need to get the ball rolling in this game though. I don't know why it sounds like RIGHT NOW you are expecting yourself to have some really strong tell in the game so far, both the quoted strike me as odd in post 27.
Second post is literally just a discussion on terminology to butternchurn, since he mentioned being used to certain different words. First part part is me choosing to take a more active role and force some words out while acknowledging the silliness of such reads. Ordinarily I'd prefer to hang back and observe, leave the newer players to their own devices and see what they do, because I feel like it's easier to get reads that way and I don't want to be the one controlling the game, but I always seem to get stuck with the quiet newbie games, and this one was particularly slow, so, spurred on by butter's comment I've taken the role of being more talkative.
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Post by Cape90 »

In post 33, notscience wrote:Why is that classic scum play?
lazy sheep on something catboi is pretty obviously not sure about.
Just kinda reads as trying to appeal to catboi meanwhile trying to miselim me at the same time. Also if you are scum, nice job confirming catboi as town

notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Post by notscience »

I somehow doubt it’d be that easy to pocket catboi.

Why didn’t I do that in my opening post, then?
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Post by Cape90 »

In post 36, notscience wrote:I somehow doubt it’d be that easy to pocket catboi.

Why didn’t I do that in my opening post, then?
this seems like a pretty arbitrary question. You know something I just noticed.
In post 10, Cape90 wrote:Here but I am busy rn.
In post 29, notscience wrote:hi guys gals and non-binary pals

I’m at the gym but will be here in like two hours
I don't really see how this is all much different

butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:17 pm

Post by butterchurn »

I noticed that as well. I personally don't think either are that suspicious of an action (the self-conscious mafia I think is somewhat balanced by the town-leaning-quality of wanting to give the most information and keep people up to date on your intentions). However, I agree that the fact that he voted over it (at least partially) while doing something similar himself is strange, and would like to hear why he thinks the situations are different.

And for that matter, does catboi see them as different? Considering the first one was vote-worthy, and the second didn't get a mention.
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Post by notscience »

Let's be specific- there was more than just the one post that catboi had an issue with (and he's free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting). Often times, in a new environment or group it is tricky for new scum to know how to correctly immerse themselves. They're much more tense and cautious than town, who frankly doesn't care as much? It does get easier with more experience, yes. But his entrance yesterday felt very inorganic, very forced, especially when I compare it to his early ISO in this game, where he is cracking dumb jokes and feels very relaxed overall comparatively.
That
is why there was a delay in the vote here. I wanted to do some background research on it first.

But enough about his intro. Let's talk about how he's approached me- automatically jumping to a scumread. In our interaction, why did he not once ask me *why* I did anything? The very first thing butter did was ask why. Instead, Cape automatically jumped to do 2 things- 1) Try to induce paranoia over my interaction with catboi (who likely *will* hold me at a similar length as I hold him, but I understand to an outsider they would be concerned about the familiarity linking up). 2) Jump to discredit and shade me. The difference between his post and my post? The
very
post he quoted from me has my thoughts on two players, whereas his did not. His push on me, in summation, is "Buddying catboi" (who other than agreeing with I have not really interacted with yet), "Trying to miselim me" is not something town panics about, especially not this early in the game. "Hypocrisy", which while easily pointed out is not a scumtell, typically. I understand this is subjective, and the other SEs are free to weigh in so you have a "neutral" stance on it.

The bottom line is, Cape had an awkward entrance, and when I voted proceeded to jump to discredit and push me without even trying to fish anything out of me. He panicked at the second vote, and felt like he had to try and create a rift and keep myself and catboi from working together.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
V0ID
V0ID
Townie
V0ID
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:03 pm

Post by V0ID »

I too noticed that notscience's post was kinda similar about being busy. But to be fair, he did call out 2 scum reads he had in that same post. For me personally, I did not find cape's intro to have scum vibes initially but the more I think about it the more I don't like it. Also, this could just be me looking too hard into it but the wording of :
I have the tendency to want to post early in games
no matter what
. But really idk.

seems scummy to me especially the bold part.
Bowser Jr.
Bowser Jr.
Goon
Bowser Jr.
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Post by Bowser Jr. »

Did you review the link I shared? What did you think of the early posting there?
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Post by notscience »

In post 41, Bowser Jr. wrote:Did you review the link I shared? What did you think of the early posting there?
This was me, oops.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Post by notscience »

In post 41, Bowser Jr. wrote:Did you review the link I shared? What did you think of the early posting there?
This was me, oops.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 36, notscience wrote:I somehow doubt it’d be that easy to pocket catboi.
History says I am in fact easy to manipulate.

But regardless, cape is probably fine.

VOTE: GeorgeBailey

Come out and play, George~
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 38, butterchurn wrote:I noticed that as well. I personally don't think either are that suspicious of an action (the self-conscious mafia I think is somewhat balanced by the town-leaning-quality of wanting to give the most information and keep people up to date on your intentions). However, I agree that the fact that he voted over it (at least partially) while doing something similar himself is strange, and would like to hear why he thinks the situations are different.

And for that matter, does catboi see them as different? Considering the first one was vote-worthy, and the second didn't get a mention.
Qualitatively I think a replacement announcing their presence is different from someone doing it at the start of the day - my view is it's typically customary for a replacement to make a post to confirm that they are, indeed, in the game, but maybe not posting right away.

I also don't particularly think it's a strong tell in the first place and don't actually hate cape's responses, so I've moved on.
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:12 pm

Post by butterchurn »

In post 40, V0ID wrote:I too noticed that notscience's post was kinda similar about being busy. But to be fair, he did call out 2 scum reads he had in that same post. For me personally, I did not find cape's intro to have scum vibes initially but the more I think about it the more I don't like it. Also, this could just be me looking too hard into it but the wording of :
no matter what
. But really idk.

Slight scumread on this. A little parrot-y, and just feels to me more like trying to manufacture reads and content rather than natural thoughts, while also leaving himself open to go in either direction on the topic. It just feels fake.

Both notscience and catboi's latest responses seem fairly reasonable to me, no further questions there. I did actually read 2084 while waiting for this one to start (and just looked through it again) and don't really feel like cape's behavior here is incongruous with his early posting there. The retaliatory response doesn't feel especially scum to me either, as that's a pretty common town reaction, and I can't say I'm convinced by notscience's narrative of "newer mafia trying to intimidate a more experienced player into giving up on a chase".
V0ID
V0ID
Townie
V0ID
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:54 pm

Post by V0ID »

In post 46, butterchurn wrote:
In post 40, V0ID wrote:I too noticed that notscience's post was kinda similar about being busy. But to be fair, he did call out 2 scum reads he had in that same post. For me personally, I did not find cape's intro to have scum vibes initially but the more I think about it the more I don't like it. Also, this could just be me looking too hard into it but the wording of :
no matter what
. But really idk.

Slight scumread on this. A little parrot-y, and just feels to me more like trying to manufacture reads and content rather than natural thoughts, while also leaving himself open to go in either direction on the topic. It just feels fake.

Both notscience and catboi's latest responses seem fairly reasonable to me, no further questions there. I did actually read 2084 while waiting for this one to start (and just looked through it again) and don't really feel like cape's behavior here is incongruous with his early posting there. The retaliatory response doesn't feel especially scum to me either, as that's a pretty common town reaction, and I can't say I'm convinced by notscience's narrative of "newer mafia trying to intimidate a more experienced player into giving up on a chase".
To explain, I did notice that even before you posted about it. I just did not think it was worth mentioning at the time since notscience did participate by calling those two out and it wasn't just a "busy, will post later" post like cape's. But I still did notice a similarity. I thought it was worth mentioning once I saw that someone else did notice it and there might actually be something there.
I guess I am trying to make reads from the little we have. As for leaving myself open, I do lean towards a scum read on cape but you are right I could go in either direction as I am unsure about it.
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Post by Cape90 »

In post 39, notscience wrote:Let's be specific- there was more than just the one post that catboi had an issue with
Right there was as well. You know, two one liners that I started the game off with.
In post 39, notscience wrote:Often times, in a new environment or group it is tricky for new scum to know how to correctly immerse themselves
Right. Dunno why but I just felt the need to say something when I had really not much to say as it was my first visit to the thread and I always say something when I first look at a thread. It was awkward because I was checking it while I was, well, doing stuff, I didn't even read over the names.
In post 39, notscience wrote:But his entrance yesterday felt very inorganic, very forced, especially when I compare it to his early ISO in this game, where he is cracking dumb jokes and feels very relaxed overall comparatively.
Really cool. You literally could have started with that instead of
In post 30, notscience wrote:Actually, I agree with catboi.

Which is absolutely hilarious that you wouldn't assume I wouldn't start assuming things. I call that out as bull as it is the type of post specifically formulated to invoke the type of assumptions I was making
In post 35, Cape90 wrote:
In post 33, notscience wrote:Why is that classic scum play?
lazy sheep on something catboi is pretty obviously not sure about.
Just kinda reads as trying to appeal to catboi meanwhile trying to miselim me at the same time. Also if you are scum, nice job confirming catboi as town
over here. I mean, isn't it obvious that I am questioning your motives, therefore, implying that I was wondering
why
you were doing things? Given the 10-minute gap between your first and second post, which I never noted, I guess it makes sense.
In post 39, notscience wrote:Cape automatically jumped to do 2 things- 1) Try to induce paranoia over my interaction with catboi (who likely *will* hold me at a similar length as I hold him, but I understand to an outsider they would be concerned about the familiarity linking up). 2) Jump to discredit and shade me.
You hardly had interaction with catboi besides "i agree with you" lol, that's hardly an interaction. Love your wording of this whole thing btw as it doesn't question my motives and starts you know... assuming things JUST LIKE YOU LITERALLY ACCUSED ME OF YOU LITERAL SCUMBAG LMAO. I am going to conf bias myself on you and take us both down ops style :cop: . Uh yeah, if I think you are full of mafia energy, yes I am going to discredit and shade you. Before this post, there was literally nothing to give
you
credit for.
In post 39, notscience wrote:His push on me, in summation, is "Buddying catboi" (who other than agreeing with I have not really interacted with yet), "Trying to miselim me" is not something town panics about, especially not this early in the game
Look I realize there are like 12 days or something left and all that. Point is, do I actually hold a
paranoia
about the whole "oh they are trying to miselim me" type thing? Answer is no. What I meant more was, the push just felt of someone capitalizing on something that I did that was scummy.
In post 39, notscience wrote:He panicked at the second vote, and felt like he had to try and create a rift and keep myself and catboi from working together.
And the point of panicking at 2 votes?
In post 44, catboi wrote:
History says I am in fact easy to manipulate.

But regardless, cape is probably fine.

VOTE: GeorgeBailey

Come out and play, George~
Not sure how to feel on this.
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Post by Cape90 »

no matter what
. But really idk.

i don't see the problem with my wording there.

btw butterchurn is almost certainly town IMO
This entire thing probably never comes from mafia.
In post 38, butterchurn wrote:I noticed that as well. I personally don't think either are that suspicious of an action (the self-conscious mafia I think is somewhat balanced by the town-leaning-quality of wanting to give the most information and keep people up to date on your intentions). However, I agree that the fact that he voted over it (at least partially) while doing something similar himself is strange, and would like to hear why he thinks the situations are different.

Like I guess kinda had a sort of time estimate and all that. And this part
In post 29, notscience wrote:I’m side eyeing GB and NK15 atm, the former more than the latter.
had a little more going on in it in the same post.
In post 46, butterchurn wrote:
no matter what
. But really idk.

Both notscience and catboi's latest responses seem fairly reasonable to me, no further questions there
I did actually read 2084 while waiting for this one to start (and just looked through it again) and don't really feel like cape's behavior here is incongruous with his early posting there
The retaliatory response doesn't feel especially scum to me either, as that's a pretty common town reaction
and I can't say I'm convinced by notscience's narrative of "newer mafia trying to intimidate a more experienced player into giving up on a chase"
This sort of flip-flopping kinda post probably only comes from town. I feel like if mafia were to do something like this it would make a lot less sense or heavily favor one side over the other.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”