Newbie 2086 - Reaction GIFs | End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 am

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1-8

Not Known 15
(4): butterchurn, notscience, Dunnstral, Greeting
Greeting
(1): ɀefiend
zefiend
(1): Cape90
Dunnstral
(1): Not Known 15
butterchurn
(1): V0ID

Not Voting
(1): catboi

Deadline: January 4, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2022-01-03 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- :]
Last edited by fferyllt on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:02 am

Post by Cape90 »

In post 251, Greeting wrote:
In post 245, butterchurn wrote:In case it was unclear, by distancing I didn't mean distancing from a scum partner (I realize that's how it's often used, perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part), I meant how you were expressing doubt on a wagon that you had already joined. If NK15 did get eliminated and flipped town, I would read that behavior as scum. And of course you would do it before his elimination is guaranteed, because doing it later and drawing attention to it is much more obvious and suspicious. From 2084 you didn't seem like the kind of player to hedge your bets or fence sit very much as town. If you were suspicious of someone you tended to have a bit of confirmation bias and twist more reasons into suspicion, and see anything through that lens (mostly noticeable when you made a case on marcistar). In this case it felt like the opposite.

But again, I'm still most suspicious of NK15, and if he is eliminated and ends up being scum, this point would be irrelevant, and I would probably townread you instead. So all told, I'm not that suspicious now, but it did stand out to me as a pattern of scumplay if certain conditions end up being true.
I think I correctly understood your use of distancing - and actually I also thought of it that way. It could be more versatile - as distancing from something
or
someone one wishes to not be associated with. So a scum could distance themselves from their partner in order to not get caught as associated and a scum could distance themselves from a wagon which lead to voting out a townie, or a scum, as part of distancing busses their partner. In this scenario, I would be scum who knows for certain that
NK 15
is not their scum partner and wants to look cleaner in spite of being part of a wagon that lead to their elimination, as a townie. However, my point from actually still stands. Plus
NK 15
's last actions made them look much dirtier in my eyes, which is why my attitude also changed.

And the truth is, however, much simpler and is that the doubt is based off my past experiences of Days 1 in other games. The only game in which town actually managed to vote out a scum in Day 1 was Newbie 2081, and it was all pretty much luck (I hammered! :lol:). I've also played 20+ games on other sites and it never happened.

As for Newbie 2084, ugh, this game. Had I not been Town Cop in that game, I would have pursued marcistar (not bolded, because I only bold the names of players of the game I'm currently in) until either of us dropped. Turned out she just has a very specific gamestyle. Perhaps my mistake was that I didn't look into her game history. Still, this was no longer an issue in the game past Day 1.

I am on the sidelines of this game, still, as I substituted in, instead of being here from the very start. I thought 6 pages wouldn't be much to catch up with, but I guess it will still take some time for me to feel less like an outsider. There are entire arguments, such as the one between
catboi
(jointly with
Cape90
?) and
notscience
that I'm kinda lost on. I think I know more or less what they're about, but I haven't read into them very deeply.
I would say mostly for this right here.

I am really not sure why I am only like the third wheel in Greetings mind when it comes to the catboi/me/notscience thing when I have been the central point of conflict there
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:05 am

Post by Cape90 »

In post 203, ɀefiend wrote:
In post 67, butterchurn wrote:To expand on that last point a bit -- there's certain tells that people tend to find "objectively" suspicious, as in, they don't really require any nuance or gut to notice, and they usually are immediately obvious to people with experience. It's certainly not bad town play to call these out (as giving them a pass can allow scum to get away with obvious mistakes), and some people like to play with that "see tell call tell" mentality. I read a couple newbie games before this and saw multiple cases of experienced town tunneling on newbie town for making a flagrant tell or two, so it definitely happens. However, especially in games with a mix of new players and more experienced players, focusing on these tells is a pretty safe place for scum to hide. The "mistakes" (as they are mistakes whether the perpetrator is town or scum, since it's either suspicious scum play or bad town play) tend to be more prevalent among newer players, and it's hard to argue against someone who is calling them out since it's easy for them to make a logically sound argument.

Now, most of this isn't suuuper relevant here, especially because I'm still leaning scum on VOID from that earlier post even if the later one didn't push the needle for me, and if he is scum then obviously this doesn't apply. But, especially later in the game once we know some alignments, if I'm still around I'll be keeping an eye on those who make a habit of relying on this type of play.
How would you "keep an eye on someone" for doing something that YOU are doing? What nuances can you point to that would make this activity scummy? If we win the game based on this style of play alone, would the "see tell call tell" mentality still be something worth keeping an eye on in future games?

What I'm trying to get at is; how can you resolve your stated read of scum!VOID with apprehension towards others who are using the same thought process? It kinda reads like hedging a bet or future-distancing from a lim on VOID.
I sort of like the active backreading here, but it still kinda feels like a sort of
coaching
thing in a way where it feels just a bit off and like zefiend knows a bit too much here and possibly making me think he knows what alignment V0id is.
Cape90
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Cape90
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:07 am

Post by Cape90 »

Also zefiend feels stiff and asks way to many questions. It reminds me of my usual scumplay where I would ask a gazillion questions
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him; they/them

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:52 am

Post by Greeting »

In post 295, butterchurn wrote:Because to me it doesn't read as trying to find something that you actually find suspicious, it reads as trying to find something that you hope others will latch onto. I think town in this situation would be more concerned about expressing their thoughts fully and finding who they think is scum, but it feels like you're more concerned about trying to start a counter wagon on anyone you can.
This is currently also my major problem with
NK 15
's slot, and also why I got convinced of the wagon so fast when their counter vote came. I think this behavior is indicative of scum.

When it comes to
Dunnstral
's slot, I didn't like the posts of their predecessor, it seemed to me they really lacked the will to play this game in spite of being rather active in other parts of the forum. And I start wondering why. But obviously, this is meta territory.
Dunnstral
has been in the game for a short while as a replacement. Nothing they said warrants any pressure or suspicion on them yet.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am

Post by Greeting »

I also want to point out that
V0ID
actually
is
lurking, I've seen them online a couple of times, but they rarely ever post. Keeping your RVS vote at this point of the game is just either
really
lazy or not an RVS vote anymore (RVS stands for "random voting stage"). If it's no longer an RVS vote then I see no explanation for it.

Lurking always brings my attention.

(from Newbie 2082)
In post 235, Greeting wrote:I know this is activity-based meta, but I see frogsfrogs online most of the time I'm around and they have almost three times less posts than I do. They aren't posting in any other games. What's up with that? In , Val89 strongly townread frogs, without really saying why.

Maybe I'm being paranoid about this, but I think it should be pointed out.
...and frogsfrogs was scum that game.

But lurking is
not
enough for a firm scumread.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 304, Greeting wrote:
In post 295, butterchurn wrote:Because to me it doesn't read as trying to find something that you actually find suspicious, it reads as trying to find something that you hope others will latch onto. I think town in this situation would be more concerned about expressing their thoughts fully and finding who they think is scum, but it feels like you're more concerned about trying to start a counter wagon on anyone you can.
NK 15
's slot, and also why I got convinced of the wagon so fast when their counter vote came. I think this behavior is indicative of scum.

When it comes to
Dunnstral
's slot, I didn't like the posts of their predecessor, it seemed to me they really lacked the will to play this game in spite of being rather active in other parts of the forum. And I start wondering why. But obviously, this is meta territory.
Dunnstral
has been in the game for a short while as a replacement. Nothing they said warrants any pressure or suspicion on them yet.
Well, what you just said
should
warrant a great deal of suspicion and pressure on dunn, in my opinion. Scummy predecessor and just two easily manufactured reads on two players,including an e-1 on one of them, then radio silence?
So why do you come to a different conclusion?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:23 am

Post by catboi »

In post 297, Cape90 wrote:I think Greeting is really towny from what I have seen
I do think he's coming closer to the bar for town-him
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am

Post by catboi »

Looked over the recent pages again and find myself with little comment.

VOTE: zefiend

Still not terribly opposed to the NK15 wagon but not convinced it flips scum, if it goes through *shrug*
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:29 am

Post by catboi »

I think the fact that zefiend is seemingly behind in catchup mode but hasn't actually weighed in on the NK15 wagon, the single most significant thing in the game so far, to be fairly scummy, in addition to my earlier dislike of his questioning.
V0ID
V0ID
Townie
V0ID
Townie
Townie

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:46 pm

Post by V0ID »

In post 305, Greeting wrote:I also want to point out that
V0ID
actually
is
lurking, I've seen them online a couple of times, but they rarely ever post. Keeping your RVS vote at this point of the game is just either
really
lazy or not an RVS vote anymore (RVS stands for "random voting stage"). If it's no longer an RVS vote then I see no explanation for it.

Hi. Yeah I have been lurking, mostly checking up on the thread every once in a while on my phone during downtime, and trying to keep track and digest everything (keep word: trying). I thought it would be fine to keep my RVS vote until I was ready to vote someone else for real, I guess I should either unvote or join one of the wagons. This is my first forum mafia game so excuse me for that one.
So some thoughts: I always thought zefiend's posts seemed kind of off, but I leaned more toward that was just probably just his personality. His posts just come off as very strong...or overcompensating in a way. But like I said, could just be part of his style or personality. I am still pretty suspicious of cape.

UNVOTE: butterchurn

As for the notknown 15 vote, greeting makes a pretty good case for it. There is something I am a bit confused about if someone could clarify for me. If I were to vote notknown15, that is final right then and there correct?
"When the hammer vote is cast, all players, including the eliminated may talk freely until the final vote count and eliminated player's card-flip have been posted." What is the final vote count mean exactly? Does that mean until the deadline?
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:54 pm

Post by Greeting »

In post 310, V0ID wrote:As for the notknown 15 vote, greeting makes a pretty good case for it. There is something I am a bit confused about if someone could clarify for me. If I were to vote notknown15, that is final right then and there correct?
"When the hammer vote is cast, all players, including the eliminated may talk freely until the final vote count and eliminated player's card-flip have been posted." What is the final vote count mean exactly? Does that mean until the deadline?

If you decide to vote for
NK 15
right now, your vote will be so-called hammer. Which means that this was the last vote needed for the formation of a majority required to eliminate
NK 15
- and this is irreversible. Which is why we announce if it’s E-2 (or the player is two votes away from being hammered) or E-1 (one vote away from being hammered). Make sure that you announce „intent to hammer”, preferably bolding it (you can do this in any way you want though) so that
NK 15
has time to respond. This is done to prevent us from eliminating someone with a town power role.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:58 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 311, Greeting wrote:
In post 310, V0ID wrote:As for the notknown 15 vote, greeting makes a pretty good case for it. There is something I am a bit confused about if someone could clarify for me. If I were to vote notknown15, that is final right then and there correct?

If you decide to vote for
NK 15
right now, your vote will be so-called hammer. Which means that this was the last vote needed for the formation of a majority required to eliminate
NK 15
- and this is irreversible. Which is why we announce if it’s E-2 (or the player is two votes away from being hammered) or E-1 (one vote away from being hammered). Make sure that you announce „intent to hammer”, preferably bolding it (you can do this in any way you want though) so that
NK 15
has time to respond. This is done to prevent us from eliminating someone with a town power role.
This post is missing an answer to
In post 306, Not Known 15 wrote:
In post 304, Greeting wrote:
NK 15

When it comes to
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
Well, what you just said
should
warrant a great deal of suspicion and pressure on dunn, in my opinion. Scummy predecessor and just two easily manufactured reads on two players,including an e-1 on one of them, then radio silence?
So why do you come to a different conclusion?
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Post by butterchurn »

In post 309, catboi wrote:I think the fact that zefiend is seemingly behind in catchup mode but hasn't actually weighed in on the NK15 wagon, the single most significant thing in the game so far, to be fairly scummy, in addition to my earlier dislike of his questioning.
So... do you think they are scum together then? I agree it's strange that he hasn't commented on it, but if NK15 is town, I see no reason why scum zefiend wouldn't comment on his wagon, especially if he's not planning to vote there. That only leaves the possibility of them being partners for this suspicion to make sense to me.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 313, butterchurn wrote:
In post 309, catboi wrote:I think the fact that zefiend is seemingly behind in catchup mode but hasn't actually weighed in on the NK15 wagon, the single most significant thing in the game so far, to be fairly scummy, in addition to my earlier dislike of his questioning.
So... do you think they are scum together then? I agree it's strange that he hasn't commented on it, but if NK15 is town, I see no reason why scum zefiend wouldn't comment on his wagon, especially if he's not planning to vote there. That only leaves the possibility of them being partners for this suspicion to make sense to me.
I do not think that says anything conclusive about NK15's alignment. I simply find it suspect that zefiend is not addressing the subject at all.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

What's your opinion on ?
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Post by Greeting »

@
NK 15

Firstly, I am not going to hold
Dunnstral
accountable for their predecessor’s play, just like I shouldn’t be held accountable for
ahhlo
. Although it’s still the same slot and I am not going to ignore this fact, but since
Dunnstral
have made only three posts, it is simply too early to tell. It would be ridiculous for me to criticise them for jumping on your wagon given that I’m on it as well and I also arrived here quite fast since my entry into this game.

Secondly, I think I already found a prime scum candidate and that is where my focus lies at the moment. If I’m to be honest, if you weren’t my choice, I’d much rather pressure
ɀefiend
than
Dunnstral
(at least for now!) for their bizarre behavior overall.

On another note, I dislike
catboi
’s flaky „meh” attitude () towards your wagon. At this point, enough has been said for most people to have an opinion, for or against it. The way
catboi
phrased it, they could easily defend their actions Day 2 both in case you flip town or scum.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 316, Greeting wrote:Firstly, I am not going to hold Dunnstral accountable for their predecessor’s play, just like I shouldn’t be held accountable for ahhlo. Although it’s still the same slot and I am not going to ignore this fact, but since Dunnstral have made only three posts, it is simply too early to tell. It would be ridiculous for me to criticise them for jumping on your wagon given that I’m on it as well and I also arrived here quite fast since my entry into this game.
Ok, let me tell you something, as SE.
This is a very big play error.
If a slot is scummy it stays scummy until things happen that tell you that it is not scummy. Something else might sound fair, but is not correct play
at all
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 310, V0ID wrote:
In post 305, Greeting wrote:I also want to point out that
V0ID
actually
is
really

Hi. Yeah I have been lurking, mostly checking up on the thread every once in a while on my phone during downtime, and trying to keep track and digest everything (keep word: trying). I thought it would be fine to keep my RVS vote until I was ready to vote someone else for real, I guess I should either unvote or join one of the wagons. This is my first forum mafia game so excuse me for that one.
So some thoughts: I always thought zefiend's posts seemed kind of off, but I leaned more toward that was just probably just his personality. His posts just come off as very strong...or overcompensating in a way. But like I said, could just be part of his style or personality. I am still pretty suspicious of cape.

UNVOTE: butterchurn

As for the notknown 15 vote, greeting makes a pretty good case for it. There is something I am a bit confused about if someone could clarify for me. If I were to vote notknown15, that is final right then and there correct?
When a majority of vote is placed on a player, that player is considered "hammered" and the day is over. That ends the day early, regardless of when the deadline is. The "final vote count" gets posted whenever the mod gets online to lock the topic.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Post by catboi »

Thought void was doing better but that most recent post is hitting a lot of the newbie-scum markers - excuses for not being active, vote hanging around from rvs, weak agreement with the leading wagon, not a lot in the way of anything that's his own thoughts
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

Ok, this has derailed the thread long enough.
I am a mason, and zefiend is my partner. You think this claim is fake? Wait for zefiend...

Now, move off my wagon!!!
And go somewhere else than zefiend.
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Post by butterchurn »

UNVOTE:
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Post by butterchurn »

I've never played with masons before. Is it correct that their only power is the ability to talk to each other?
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 289, Not Known 15 wrote:
In post 250, Not Known 15 wrote:Dunn, do you have other reads, other than Cape and myself?
VOTE: Dunnstral

This slot has not been doing much.
Only reads on me and cape, both extremely easy to fake.
Well I think that notsci and catboi are leaning town as that is who I have experience with. I think that your play looks opportunistic.

edit:

UNVOTE:
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:47 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 322, butterchurn wrote:I've never played with masons before. Is it correct that their only power is the ability to talk to each other?
They also know that each other is town

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”