Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:10 am

Post by Frogsterking »

In post 147, Morning Tweet wrote:i have never seen a slot like frog's in a large theme not be town, yet. the kinda person who tried to solve all 18 other players on page 10. This would be like the third time that i can remember though.
i dont like larges
Why not?
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Terry: ...Thanks.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:12 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 149, Frogsterking wrote:Yes. And I know what game you're referring to.

When was the last time you rolled scum before that?
FWIW, I don't think my work will like super impact my ability to play the game. I was more just complaining because all my colleagues took off on spring break and I'm picking up the slack.

Um, before that, IDK. I think I rolled scum once or twice during marathon games. I have a bad memory for this kind of stuff. What's the relevance of the last time I rolled scum?
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Pronoun: She

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

In post 125, Datisi wrote:8 players who have the most nominations at eod1 will be bomb experts on n1.
That is way more than iw as expecting

pedit: If I had to guess because it sets the bar too high. i'm not sure scum comes out of the gate purporting to be able to solve everything, but like it seems a distinct type of player enjoys the challenge and then seriously does it

it was Pink_Ball in the team mafia game i don't say the name of, as well as someone in a mafia invitational trainwreck i played some years back
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:18 am

Post by Cephrir »

Oh, 8 experts tonight and we can't pick them for two days... so we can either pick 8 townreads to protect from the nightkill or we can just elect scum on purpose and save townreads for later when our odds of succeeding if we even wanted to are better.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:18 am

Post by Titus »

In post 127, Menalque wrote:
In post 124, Titus wrote:
In post 118, Menalque wrote:Hey titus, how you been?
Sick but improving
Glad to hear it!

Why didn’t you like the frog vote?
I strongly feel Frogsterking is town.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:20 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 130, Morning Tweet wrote:
In post 123, Menalque wrote:I’m sad u wouldn’t answer me, morning :(
Why do you ask every game? i'm soury though i guess im not in the mood
i have my reasons, but i’m sorry if it was annoying today! It’s very nice to see you anyways
In post 131, GuiltyLion wrote:hey Menalque!! it's good to see you again

how you feeling about this game? seemed like you were burned out on rolling/playing scum last time I saw ya
Likewise!

Yeah man, I’m feeling p good, this is the first town roll I’ve had in like over 6 months (admittedly several of those were hiatus but every alt game I’ve done since coming back has been scum lmao)
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:20 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 154, Titus wrote:
Sick but improving
Glad to hear it!

Okay, I won’t push you for reasons rn but I’ll keep that in mind
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:21 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

Oh that's not what you asked.

Spoiler: for frog
larges (at least, non-grand idea or otherwise bastard ones where everyone dies immediately) have a higher amount of arguments since i mean there's just so much content it's bound to happen. there's a higher chance i personally will get annoyed, since there's more players too

There's also the curse of playing with people you like. I prefer smaller games with a couple of people i know and the rest people im less familar with. In Larges a lot of times though you already know a lot of the players which for me personally is a lot less fun, it's harder for me to push people i like or have to argue with them

Something like that. Larges just have a higher chance of going wrong for me. i couldd fall 30 pages behind in a day or get in a toxic fight out of nowhere and then i'll be trapped for like forever cause larges take so long to end too sometimes.

It may or may not be actually true that larges are more likely to go wrong, but i just happen to have played in more unfun larges than i can keep track of

I really like the playerlist and the setup so i joined but i'm still mostly picturing all the other large themes ive played so i feel really complain-y. But if you were really curious why then there
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:22 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

u weren't annoying Mena i just meant I'm on extra guard it feels like. Ur good
Andante
Andante
She
Survivor
Andante
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:22 am

Post by Andante »

Spoiler: Frog list
In post 137, Frogsterking wrote:PEdit: Good point Ceph

PoE Order Matters:
  1. Very early townreads:
  2. Frogsterking

3. StrangeMatter

4. Greeting

Null + posted:
  5. Cephrir

6. PookyTheMagicalBear

7. The Bulge

8. Titus

9. Lukewarm

10. catboi

11. Morning Tweet

12. Menalque

Null + not posted:
  13. Andante

14. The Praetorian

15. Dwlee99

16. Andresvmb

17. Cat Scratch Fever

Very early scumreads:
  18. Bell

19. GuiltyLion

20. VP Baltar
More info:
Order matters in every tier except Null + not posted. The Null + not posted is completely random, the other three tiers are ordered intentionally from #1 most townie to #19 least townie. I moved my weakest early townread (Ceph) and weakest early scumread (MorningTweet) to their respective positions withinin the Null + posted tier. Barring some exceptional dayplay in a good or bad direction I don't think the players in the townread tier should go anywhere near the bottom of the PoE and I don't think the players in the scumread tier should go anywhere near the top of the PoE. I think the Null + posted is more townie than the Null + not posted by about a hair length, moreso toward the top of the tier than at the bottom.

LOL so I looked at this saw like "ORDER MATTERS" and was like, how the heck did you order the non posters... like yeah I'm town, but this sounds too good to be a true list... but then you specified the non poster order doesn't matter... (Definitely a tangent, but I had a good laugh and had to share)

Also, NO ONE TALKED ABOUT THAT VIDEO DATS PUT ON POST 1???? That song was awesome!!! Like.. yaaassss I was listening to it on repeat for a bit lol

Umm VP saying something about "I ask a lot of setup questions" felt really odd to me, like, I don't think anyone has a problem with the setup questions being adressed at the start of the game, I can go find the specific post if someone is dying to know, but it felt off.

Catboi vs Pooky was an interesting dynamic, umm not sure I want to share my thoughts there yet.
In post 150, Frogsterking wrote:
In post 147, Morning Tweet wrote:i have never seen a slot like frog's in a large theme not be town, yet. the kinda person who tried to solve all 18 other players on page 10. This would be like the third time that i can remember though.
i dont like larges
Why not?
^ This post feels so bad... Like, why are you asking someone why they don't like large games? what info from that answer do you want? Feels like you're just trying to "look busy"

And kinda with that, I believe it was Tweet that was like "I almost never see maf make a reads list like that this early" or something... I don't actually agree with much of that list, nor do I believe much work went into it, and if I had to guess, more work went into the format than the reads themselves, and like, if you're gonna repeat "THE ORDER MATTERS" like, why not give more on that? Ellaborate more on what makes someone slightly townier than someone else, cause you going "ORDER MATTERS ON MY RVS READS" means absolutely nothing... Like, you saying people at the bottom of your list can't possibly be town?? It feels really odd to me you're that confidint 100 posts into the game when most of the talk has been "idk how this works"

idk, those are my initial thoughts, I'll be back in a bit, thought I'd pop in and say some stuff before people really move on, and so my thoughts can still be sorta relevant
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:24 am

Post by catboi »

In post 143, Morning Tweet wrote:What is the biggest factor preventing us from just sending people to try and be bomb experts, like in resistance, have them try to succeed, and if there's a failure, it's guaranteed someone sabotaged so we still learn something?

If we play the other way, as catboi mentioned, scum gets an additional nightkill and we can't use the system. But we do stop them from being able to achieve their alternate wincon. Is their alternate wincon so likely though? If scum decides the defuser, and they have to put their own members in the defuser spot a bunch of times to win, and they also need to live, won't we notice that? It's gonna be a huge difference if scum nominates consensus townreads in other to nightkill them, versus tries to slip their own members in that chair. At least, to me it would seem that way
Had I rolled scum this game my goal would have been to propose something more or less like the former, playing it like resistance, and blitz the alternate win condition. Four successes is a small amount and it's certainly easier than trying to cut through an enormous amount of townies with a limited supply of nightkills. I would think there's at least a few other players in this game who'd think that way.

I said "fail by default" with the assumption the defuser is unlikely to be a consensus townread and it's more valuable to flip anyone there is some uncertainty about. Saving someone from the bomb should mean you'd be willing to bet the game on them being town.

What I'm trying to say is that reflexively trying to pass/fail people is bad, I suppose, although that's a much less exciting and cool-sounding approach.
Morning Tweet wrote:And yes I'm sorry for probably rehashing what's already been talking about probably but it's the only way i can really participate in mech

The alternate wincons don't seem like something that will get completed, so much as something to make the bombs actually have some kind of stakes. At least, it seems to me that was the design goal anyway. whether or not it can be broken, ill leave up to others
I don't particularly mind the discussions at this point because hashing it out is useful and sometimes people can be read off their involvement with the mechanics. (not always necessarily in the obvious Greeting way, but still)
Andante
Andante
She
Survivor
Andante
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:24 am

Post by Andante »

In post 153, Cephrir wrote:we can either pick 8 townreads to protect from the nightkill
might not be a bad idea tbh... definitely not something I'm really gonna put thought into till later though
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:31 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

In post 160, catboi wrote:
In post 143, Morning Tweet wrote:What is the biggest factor preventing us from just sending people to try and be bomb experts, like in resistance, have them try to succeed, and if there's a failure, it's guaranteed someone sabotaged so we still learn something?

If we play the other way, as catboi mentioned, scum gets an additional nightkill and we can't use the system. But we do stop them from being able to achieve their alternate wincon. Is their alternate wincon so likely though? If scum decides the defuser, and they have to put their own members in the defuser spot a bunch of times to win, and they also need to live, won't we notice that? It's gonna be a huge difference if scum nominates consensus townreads in other to nightkill them, versus tries to slip their own members in that chair. At least, to me it would seem that way
Had I rolled scum this game my goal would have been to propose something more or less like the former, playing it like resistance, and blitz the alternate win condition. Four successes is a small amount and it's certainly easier than trying to cut through an enormous amount of townies with a limited supply of nightkills. I would think there's at least a few other players in this game who'd think that way.

I said "fail by default" with the assumption the defuser is unlikely to be a consensus townread and it's more valuable to flip anyone there is some uncertainty about. Saving someone from the bomb should mean you'd be willing to bet the game on them being town.

What I'm trying to say is that reflexively trying to pass/fail people is bad, I suppose, although that's a much less exciting and cool-sounding approach.
Morning Tweet wrote:And yes I'm sorry for probably rehashing what's already been talking about probably but it's the only way i can really participate in mech

The alternate wincons don't seem like something that will get completed, so much as something to make the bombs actually have some kind of stakes. At least, it seems to me that was the design goal anyway. whether or not it can be broken, ill leave up to others
I don't particularly mind the discussions at this point because hashing it out is useful and sometimes people can be read off their involvement with the mechanics. (not always necessarily in the obvious Greeting way, but still)
Let's say scum tries to win via the alternate way though -- do they need all mafia to be highly townread (or many of them) in order for it to work, or just one? If mafia keeps selecting the same person to defuse won't it become obvious they're abusing that? Whereas if the defuser changes each time, i find it extremely unlikely every single mafia manages to be the towniest players. Or even get close to that, really

true though if the defuser is just some person and not a consensus townread, then it doesn't really make sense to help them defuse, I agree. Which is a shame because i think that more than likely we're going to end up in a place where the mech isn't getting used. Obviously not the fault of the ppl suggesting that, though, just how the game works
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:32 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

In post 159, Andante wrote:LOL so I looked at this saw like "ORDER MATTERS" and was like, how the heck did you order the non posters... like yeah I'm town, but this sounds too good to be a true list... but then you specified the non poster order doesn't matter... (Definitely a tangent, but I had a good laugh and had to share)
LMFAO i mnissed that
In post 159, Andante wrote:^ This post feels so bad... Like, why are you asking someone why they don't like large games? what info from that answer do you want? Feels like you're just trying to "look busy"
You yourself just acknowledged that frog posted a readlist of every person in the game, ordered, including the nonposters.

how can you also bring up "busywork" in the same breath?
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:33 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 158, Morning Tweet wrote:u weren't annoying Mena i just meant I'm on extra guard it feels like. Ur good
Okay, that’s good to hear!

Also as a general FYI I won’t be paying any attention to mechanics for the first couple of days so imma just roll with the majority on that

feel like I’m going to be able to read catboi this game

very neutral on morning
kinda town leaning titus
kinda town on andante
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner

Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:34 am

Post by Morning Tweet »

(it's not just about the readslist but you get the idfea. frog basically came off like the equivalent of a mafia overachiever to me, yet you're honing in on like the one time he's not doing that
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:35 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 164, Menalque wrote:very neutral on morning
what is a very neutral read?
YOUR AD HERE

The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Post by The Bulge »

sneak peek of the first page of the mod pt postgame:

The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Post by The Bulge »

VOTE: Andante
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

Post by Frogsterking »

In post 151, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 149, Frogsterking wrote:Yes. And I know what game you're referring to.

When was the last time you rolled scum before that?
FWIW, I don't think my work will like super impact my ability to play the game. I was more just complaining because all my colleagues took off on spring break and I'm picking up the slack.

Um, before that, IDK. I think I rolled scum once or twice during marathon games. I have a bad memory for this kind of stuff.
What's the relevance of the last time I rolled scum?
Because for most players to be vulnerable to an early tonal read I think there needs to be some kind of reason, because a given player needs to be really tonally distinct and noticeable for another human to actually be able to perceive it in my humble opinion. Even moreso in your case where I would predict your extraversion and experience safeguard you against tonal reads. I think not rolling scum in a legit game in a long time is a great reason why you might be vulnerable to an early tonal read, and because there's a great reason why an early tonal read might be possible, I'm trusting my own observation a lot more, because I'm very sure that I'm observing a distinct tonal shift from you that's self conscious and pensive.

Also the words I bolded cause me to suspect someone might be lying coming from almost any person in pretty much any situation ever, even if I said them myself.
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Terry: ...Thanks.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:39 am

Post by VP Baltar »

In post 167, The Bulge wrote:sneak peek of the first page of the mod pt postgame:

this mf
YOUR AD HERE

The Praetorian
The Praetorian
It/Its
Townie
The Praetorian
It/Its
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: It/Its

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:41 am

Post by The Praetorian »

Hi I'm not reading the first 7 pages

nom me for defuser ty
HEAL: the praetorian

also VOTE: catboi
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:41 am

Post by Titus »

In post 156, Menalque wrote:
In post 154, Titus wrote:
Sick but improving
Glad to hear it!

Okay, I won’t push you for reasons rn but I’ll keep that in mind
Fair. I'm standing back and standoffish for now.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:42 am

Post by The Bulge »

In post 160, catboi wrote:

I don't think the scum alt wincon is as scary as you are making it out to be. certainly not something that can be blitzed. reasons morning already mentioned but i feel this post was overlooked.
In post 143, Morning Tweet wrote:If we play the other way, as catboi mentioned, scum gets an additional nightkill and we can't use the system. But we do stop them from being able to achieve their alternate wincon. Is their alternate wincon so likely though? If scum decides the defuser, and they have to put their own members in the defuser spot a bunch of times to win, and they also need to live, won't we notice that? It's gonna be a huge difference if scum nominates consensus townreads in other to nightkill them, versus tries to slip their own members in that chair. At least, to me it would seem that way
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:43 am

Post by Menalque »

In post 166, VP Baltar wrote: