orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:I'm not entirely convinced by your explanation of Panda Stomper 64's untimely demise, but I'm willing to downgrade you and vote the humorless villain orangepenguin.
:cry:

I am not the humorless villian. I am the waddle-talking serious pro-town penguin.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:34 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

I think the consensus is that a hypoclaim is the best option here.

I think this option is very pro-town, so I am going to start a popcorn style hypo claim. Nobody has to follow obviously, but I am not one to sit around and wait for others to act.

If I am hider, I will target Xtoxm. I almost want to target afatchic because more coverage would be provided, but I will stick with Xtoxm.

I choose camn to go next.
hypoclaim wrote: bionicchop2--->Xtoxm
If everybody could quote the hypoclaim and add theirs, it would help. I would also say that anybody can change their hypoclaim at any time once we get the first pass done (may change their mind and find a better option). Just quote to last one and edit yours.

The reason I want to move this along is so we can use the rest of the day period scum hunting. It is easy for scum to blend in with strategy talk once a consensus is reached. They can easily just agree that the action is pro-town. For that reason,
unvote TCS
. My vote was a reaction to his disagreement with the strategy. In hindsight, this does not make him any more likely to be scum and may actually make him less likely to be scum.

On the flip side of that, I will
vote icemanE
for following me on that vote. I remember from my only other open game played (polygamist - xtoxm will remember, will link if needed) that scum jumped on me and my town lover twisting our statements to seem like we were against the pro-town course of action decided on. Nothing concrete here, but this vote is better than my previous one.
The above written statement is pro-town.
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:31 am

Post by afatchic »

bion- also include who you hid behind last night, this bring up cleared townies and makes it easier.
Show
Now taking sign ups:
The Fast and the Furious Mafia (Mini Theme)(11 spots left)

Upcoming Games:
The Bible Experience Mafia (Mini Theme)

Crazy Cops Mafia (Open Game)

Pre-In's are welcome for any of them.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:39 am

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

If the actual hider dies as a result of targeting mafia, we have one confirmed mafia.

Otherwise, we essentially have this situation. If multiple people say that they are going to hide behind one person, then we are essentially making it more statistically likely that the mafia will get a double kill in one night, an eventuality that confirms no one but the dead.

Also, when people choose to "hide" behind mafia members, and they do not die, then mafia members will know they are
not
the hider, and further increase the likelihood of a double-kill.

Am I missing something? We are essentially gambling for a 30% chance of getting an investigation in exchange for a townie death, while increasing from 12.5% to the mafia's odds of getting a double kill with no town upside.

On the other hand, we might as well gamble for the investigation, because the longer the hider hangs around the better the chance that such a double kill will occur. My caveat would be, however, that not too many people choose to hide behind the same person.

Ok, I convinced myself.

I still don't see how this plan confirms innocents, though. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 am

An innocent from previous hiding nights. I get it. Doh. Let's do this.

LEEEEEROOOOOYYYY JENNNNKINNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSS
possibly
comment."
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:48 am

Post by afatchic »

TCS the odds of the hider getting double killed is very high. however if we don't do anything to try and use the hider to our advantage we will never get the innocents that they found. and once they die we can go and figure out who the innocents are.
Show
Now taking sign ups:

Upcoming Games:

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:00 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Mod: The title still says it's Night 1.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:03 am

Post by icemanE »

Getting voted by bio for agreeing with his logic - classic.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:04 am

afatchic wrote:TCS the odds of the hider getting double killed is very high. however if we don't do anything to try and use the hider to our advantage we will never get the innocents that they found. and once they die we can go and figure out who the innocents are.
I agreed with you. You should really read posts to the end before replying to them.
possibly
comment."
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:26 am

Post by camn »

I will hide behind Bionicchop2. I hid behind bionic last night and I didn't die :)

so
bionicchop2--->???, Xtoxm
camn-------->Bionic, Bionic
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

Since I forgot to mention who I hid behind last night:
hypoclaim night 1 wrote: bionicchop2--->camn
camn-------->Bionic
hypoclaim night 2 wrote: bionicchop2--->Xtoxm
camn-------->Bionic
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:
Am I missing something? We are essentially gambling for a 30% chance of getting an investigation in exchange for a townie death, while increasing from 12.5% to the mafia's odds of getting a double kill with no town upside.
You are still forgetting about the remaining watcher - so mafia needs to be cautious about who will be watched.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Since camn didn't mention who goes next, I'll volunteer. I'm a hider, and last night I hid behind Crazy. Tonight I will hide behind Crazy.
camn-------->Bionic
TCS--------->Crazy
camn-------->Bionic
TCS----------->Crazy
Next is Crazy.
possibly
comment."
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Post by afatchic »

just out of curiosity does anyone other than me see something going terribly wrong with the hypoclaim?
Show
Now taking sign ups:

Upcoming Games:

The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:39 pm

afatchic wrote:just out of curiosity does anyone other than me see something going terribly wrong with the hypoclaim?
I can, but I do see there being some merit in being able to confirm what happened with the hider should the hider die.
possibly
comment."
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Post by bionicchop2 »

afatchic wrote:just out of curiosity does anyone other than me see something going terribly wrong with the hypoclaim?
If somebody picked mafia n1 in their list , then mafia would know which ones are fake.

Maybe we should skip night 1 for now?
afatchic
afatchic
Mafia Scum
afatchic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Post by afatchic »

bionicchop2 wrote:
If somebody picked mafia n1 in their list , then mafia would know which ones are fake.

Maybe we should skip night 1 for now?
hmm.... hadn't thought about that, when we used this before it was with a cop, so that didn't really matter.

however my problem was, as a hider your job is too clear townies, and eventually find the mafia, resulting in your death. you just have to breadcrumb it enough to let the town know who you are visiting each night. so therefore.... why would you visit the same person n1 and 2?
Show
Now taking sign ups:

Upcoming Games:

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:17 am

Post by ortolan »

camn wrote:
What is suspicious to me ort's seeming fixation on figuring out what to do with the Hider role.
First he says
The watcher should either play like a vanilla townie for the whole game or claim now...
then
I didn't suggest they should claim
then launches into a convoluted plan, with statistics and everything, that is defeated by the wiki.
THEN, when afatchic brings up his idea (which, to reiterate, I
), Ort grabs THAT and runs with it.

.. it all seemed suspect to me last night after getting home from the bar... and I have certainly gotten lynched for less :)
First of all; to repeat, when I say I did not suggest that they should claim, I mean I did not suggest this was the only option- I clearly stated that an alternative way of playing would be to go through the game as a vanilla townie. Secondly, as far as I saw it, based on the roles described by the mod, my plan was flawless. I have not played in a game with a hider role previously, and have no knowledge of what might be considered "conventions" for them. Thirdly, as this is an open setup, if it is true that the hider dies if they hide behind someone who is killed, then it seems a reasonable expectation that this fact might be mentioned by the mod in the "hider" description. Finally, you are talking as though it has actually been confirmed that the hider in this game functions the same way as it does in the wiki, rather than in the way implied by the mod's description. We still have not received clarification on this.

Mod: Does the hider die if on any particular night they hide behind someone who is killed on that same night?

I also find it amusing that you think that if I was scum I would try a ploy that could only work if no-one were to read the wiki.

Also how does the fact that I started supporting afatchic's plan as soon as I realised that mine was potentially flawed whereas his didn't seem to be suggest I am scum? As soon as the possible flaw in my plan was brought to my attention I reevaluated it.
afatchic wrote:camn- sorry i misunderstood what you was trying to say, but i get it now. i also thought ort seemed very scummy with his behavior over the PR's, but it seemed somewhat newbish to me, just something to keep in mind though.

however i don't really agree with what TCS is saying. first by doing what i said, it would give an inno from last night upon the hiders death. if the hider dies, plus a nk on a person the hider didn't claim to hide behind, you have caught one mafia. finally, if the hider becomes so obvious that the mafia know who to shoot and get a double kill, then it should be obvious to the watcher, and yet again we catch a mafia. IMO this seems like the only way to make the most of the hider role.

So can you please explain how this plan is flawed....? FOS TCS
Agree with your point about the watcher. I made basically the same point in relation to my original plan. See
ortolan wrote:To reiterate, if the hider claims and says who they will hide behind (and they can be verified by EITHER the watcher or the rolecop, who DON'T have to claim the following day unless they find that the hider is lying)
(post 55).

So this means that even if the wiki is correct, if the hider hid behind someone who was then killed by the mafia after reading what the hider would do in the thread, then the watcher would have watched the person whom the hider was hiding behind, and would be able to say the next day which mafia player killed them. Of course, this is still not a very good outcome for town, because it entails the watcher dying, another townie (who might be the rolecop) dying, and the watcher having to claim in return for one mafia player.

The same point applies to afatchic's plan however- if multiple people claim they will hide behind the same person, then the watcher should target this person. This way if the scum try to target that person then the watcher will at least be able to identify them, as would have been the case in my original plan.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:37 am

afatchic brought up a good point. I'm changing the person I hide behind tonight to Panda Stomper 85. Perhaps some good can come from my death.
camn-------->Bionic
TCS--------->Crazy
camn-------->Bionic
TCS----------->Panda Stomper 85
possibly
comment."
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:47 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

ortolan wrote:Mod: Does the hider die if on any particular night they hide behind someone who is killed on that same night?
Jex wrote:
If the person the hider chooses to hid behind is killed that night the hider will die too.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 am

Post by camn »

afatchic DID bring up a good point.
I usually just Hide as long as I can, and use my knowledge in the endgame.
But I havn't been the Hider that many times.
I'll try it his way......

camn-------->Bionic
TCS--------->Crazy
camn-------->afatchic
TCS----------->Panda Stomper 85

Oh, and Ortolan is back with a FURY!
I know bionic quoted it for you.. but it is true. The Hider operates as usual.
And at this point I don't
particularly
think you are scum. I just think you make bad decisions. But you COULD be newbie-scum just as well as newbie-town. . so don't try and weasel around it that way :)
Excessive Worrying about setup is a common scum-tell IMO..... that is all.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:52 am

Post by icemanE »

My main concern with the plan is that, if the mafia luck out and hit the hider on their own, we might make the mistake of assuming that the hider hid behind mafia and lynch someone based on their hypoclaim - that could be a problem, now that I think of it.
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:59 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

icemanE wrote:My main concern with the plan is that, if the mafia luck out and hit the hider on their own, we might make the mistake of assuming that the hider hid behind mafia and lynch someone based on their hypoclaim - that could be a problem, now that I think of it.
I don't understand what you are saying. If mafia targets the hider directly, the result is a no kill unless the hider did not hide. The only way the hider dies when hiding is by hiding behind mafia or the person they hid behind is shot.

Once dead, we look at who the hider hid behind the night before. If it matches the other player who died that day, then they obviously did not hide behind mafia. If the player they hid behind is alive, that player is mafia.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:01 am

Post by icemanE »

I guess I was confused by the role then.

To clear it up - If the mafia target the hider, it will kill whomever the hider hid behind instead of the hider? But if the hider hides behind scum at night, the hider dies?
bionicchop2
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
bionicchop2
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 am

Post by bionicchop2 »

icemanE wrote: To clear it up - If the mafia target the hider, it will kill whomever the hider hid behind instead of the hider?
No.

If mafia (X) targets hider (A) and hider is behind another player (B), it looks like this:

Code: Select all

X ------------------------
                     BA

Result = no death

If mafia (X) targets player (B) and hider (A) is behind player (B), it looks like this:

Code: Select all

X ----------------BA---

Result = bullet goes through both.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”