Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:21 am

Post by Maestro »

Like, we can get into it but I think you're an SE so you should know that a no-kill during Day is one of the worst things town can do for our wincon, unless something huge has changed behind the math for mafia in the last couple of years
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:24 am

Post by catboi »

In post 22, Sterling the steampunk wrote:I'm confused, I was given a role PM but I don't see my name, anyways if I'm am in the game VOTE: hjbzc
hjbzc is the person you replaced, LMAO
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:35 am

Post by Maestro »

That does not seem to be accurate

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:38 am

Post by Maestro »

Oh nvm you're right catboi, thought your post was @ faust for some reason

catboi, who is scum? Or alternatively, thoughts on umlauts or generational wealth?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:46 am

Post by catboi »

In post 24, Maestro wrote:I said I voted catboi bc they're expressing an awareness of their meta play and simultaneously have thought enough about how they would adjust their meta to actually bring this up in a game... it's about the self-awareness and why catboi would have that self-awareness or be thinking about their meta and how to change it; e.g. bc they're scum?
This is a really weird interpretation of what I said. I expressed specifically that I was unhappy with how I played
as town
in a previous game, and so have decided to try to play differently in the hope of both producing better results and coming across as more welcoming to newer players. I think that's a pretty natural thing to do, lots of people try to change how they play. I think if you're not in a constant process of trying to grow and improve, the game gets dull, and your play will start to decline as well.

The discussion of me being different was not unprompted - it was specifically brought up by Thynhith, the one player here I have experience with, pointing out that I was playing differently from our previous game together. I don't think that was a bad observation, I townlean him for pointing it out because it shows he's thinking critically about the game and was paranoid me having a more "formal" entrance might be a trick to look more towny. This is also not
the first
game I have tried to adjust my newbie game playstyle for, I did it in a prior game as well. I thought that game went slightly better and so decided to open more like that in future games.

Your interpretation is to accuse me of "being self-aware about meta", which is not really what I said, at all. It's framing a pretty straightforward explanation in a fairly sinister light. I said I want to try to play differently because of an unsatisfying performance in a past town game. You turn into possibly adjusting my own meta to deceive others. But if I was trying to deceive people, why would I admit to doing so openly on the first page? Further, if I was supposedly self-aware about my meta and concerned about how I would be read for it, why would I choose to act differently in a game where someone had seen me as town before? Isn't that completely backwards? Your whole thought process here doesn't really make sense to me. What scum thinks to themselves, "I am going to play differently to get townread" and then comes in the thread and says literally exactly that? (Bear in mind, that is NOT what I said, but just for the purposes of this exercise I want to show how this logic doesn't really hold up.)
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:48 am

Post by catboi »

In post 28, Maestro wrote:Oh nvm you're right catboi, thought your post was @ faust for some reason

catboi, who is scum? Or alternatively, thoughts on umlauts or generational wealth?
My initial vote was not random, I thought ceejay's entrance was slightly more likely to come from scum than town. I'm withholding comment on faustiv for now. I don't know which player "generational wealth" is supposed to be.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:32 am

Post by Maestro »

umlauts as a grammatical device and generational wealth as in capitalism, but fine you've given plenty to chew on there lol

definitely going to respond more, but the tone of response, esp. very last sentence of final paragraph reads to me, honestly, as somebody who has done this before, to be "if I
were
scum and you
did
supposedly
"catch" me like this, I would have to be
incredibly
stupid" so I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt bc honestly that's how somebody could respond to this shit line of reasoning as a standard lol

I like you catboi, idk if scum but I like you
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:33 am

Post by kkirigiri »

I'm pretty confident I have at least one mafia nailed already.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:35 am

Post by kkirigiri »

Also, hello everyone. I've only just been able to post due to being locked out of the thread mistakenly.
I believe I don't know anyone here except for faustIV, but am looking forward ot an interesting game nonetheless.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:36 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 22, Sterling the steampunk wrote:I'm confused, I was given a role PM but I don't see my name, anyways if I'm am in the game VOTE: hjbzc
Finally, my pinkie is telling me that this line likely comes from a town POV.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:38 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 8, ceejayvinoya wrote:Hellooo

VOTE: Rockhopper
come back to threeeeeaaaaad

Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:39 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 34, kkirigiri wrote:
Finally, my pinkie is telling me that this line likely comes from a town POV.
yeah I thought the same thing but calling it out this blatantly is BM, if scum sees big "townslips" like this and shoots, fine, but calling it out also drags it into unnecessary attention for potentially giving scum "points" they don't need if others get a huge townslip/read off of it, IMO
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:41 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 30, catboi wrote:
In post 28, Maestro wrote:Oh nvm you're right catboi, thought your post was @ faust for some reason

My initial vote was not random, I thought ceejay's entrance was slightly more likely to come from scum than town.
why? you have not given indication before now that your vote was not random, so this seems like new and relevant information
I'm withholding comment on faustiv for now.
why? not in our best interest
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:43 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 32, kkirigiri wrote:I'm pretty confident I have at least one mafia nailed already.
Speaking of withholding info not being good during Day phase, if you feel this confident do share, it will prob get ppl not currently discussing in-thread much to hop in
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:43 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 32, kkirigiri wrote:I'm pretty confident I have at least one mafia nailed already.
Speaking of withholding info not being good during Day phase, if you feel this confident do share, it will prob get ppl not currently discussing in-thread much to hop in
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:47 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 36, Maestro wrote:
In post 34, kkirigiri wrote: yeah I thought the same thing but calling it out this blatantly is BM, if scum sees big "townslips" like this and shoots, fine, but calling it out also drags it into unnecessary attention for potentially giving scum "points" they don't need if others get a huge townslip/read off of it, IMO
I feel as if it's best to be on the safe side rather than assume everyone's on the same page as me. If we could agree to remove him from our elimination-pool [and he is indeed town], then that's in my view a good thing.
I didn't quite follow what you meant by 'BM' or giving scum 'points' - could you clarify for me?
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:51 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 39, Maestro wrote: Speaking of withholding info not being good during Day phase, if you feel this confident do share, it will prob get ppl not currently discussing in-thread much to hop in
We've got plenty of time. Personally I'd like to see people post a bit more before I real who I'm thinking about. My idea is that pushing for their elimination might be trickier given they know someone's already suspicious of them so early into the game.
They may yet weave me some more rope, so to speak.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:51 am

Post by kkirigiri »

before I reveal* even
smh
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:53 am

Post by Dannflor »

The player list in the original post has been updated! Sterling the steampunk’s vote for hjbzc, who is no longer a player in this game, does not count.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:56 am

Post by Maestro »

...wait, uh

was that a
scumslip?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:00 am

Post by Maestro »

wait, though... actually follow me on this:

"I got a role PM with a name that isn't mine"

*votes that name*

e.g. Role PM received by Sterling, which they didn't realize was also theirs, or for their slot's predecessor, made them vote their predecessor's slot

Sterling got a scum role PM

VOTE: Sterling
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:01 am

Post by Maestro »

I also happened to post that tiny partial screenshot that proves, even if it isn't in the OP, that this is the slot Sterling replaced into
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:07 am

Post by kkirigiri »

Eh, my thought process with Sterling was more that he wouldn't be confused as to whether or not this was his game if he had a separate mafia thread. I think if he was mafia and he'd seen it, he'd understand what was going on.
Otherwise, working backwards, if he was scum and faking the reaction, he'd have to make a non-trivial leap of logic that he should be confused as a town-sided player and post as if he were to make people think he townslipped.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:10 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 45, Maestro wrote:wait, though... actually follow me on this:

"I got a role PM with a name that isn't mine"

*votes that name*

e.g. Role PM received by Sterling, which they didn't realize was also theirs, or for their slot's predecessor, made them vote their predecessor's slot

Sterling got a scum role PM

VOTE: Sterling
I think I get what you mean though, but it would imply that Sterling assumed he had been given information that would have compromised the game, and then be acting on it to try to win (if I understood what you said correctly).
Surely no-one would be so dishonest!
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:27 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

What does SRS mean?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”