Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:36 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

well I'm still in the RVS so it doesn't matter if it's you, rose or VOTE: No elimination

as for your second question yes, I'm more used to finding scum based on investigations and roleclaims, which is why I didn't do well on the eurobrick game because in ToS it's common to claim publicly, even day 1 where voting is not allowed while on eurobrick nobody wanted to claim publicly. In amongus didn't have roles other than crewmate and imposter when I played, there we find scum based on seeing them kill or vent for the most part.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:13 am

Post by Dannflor »

VC 1.1

"Philosophy (from Greek: φιλοσοφία, philosophia, 'love of wisdom')[1][2] is the systematized study of general and fundamental questions, such as those about existence, reason, knowledge, values, mind, and language.[3][4][5] Such questions are often posed as problems[6][7] to be studied or resolved. Some sources claim the term was coined by Pythagoras (c. 570 – c. 495 BCE);[8][9] others dispute this story,[10][11] arguing that Pythagoreans merely claimed use of a preexisting term.[12] Philosophical methods include questioning, critical discussion, rational argument, and systematic presentation.[13][14]
"

votes
[2] Sterling the steampunk
:
Maestro, faüstiv
[1] faüstiv
:
TheftofaRose
[1] Rockhopper
:
ceejayvinoya
[1] TheftofaRose
:
Thynhith
[1] ceejayvinoya
:
catboi
[1] No Elimination
:
Sterling the steampunk

[2] Not Voting
:
Rockhopper, kkirigiri

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2022-10-31 21:18:19)

Mod Notes
: :]
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:34 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 75, Sterling the steampunk wrote:well I'm still in the RVS so it doesn't matter if it's you, rose or VOTE: No elimination

as for your second question yes, I'm more used to finding scum based on investigations and roleclaims, which is why I didn't do well on the eurobrick game because in ToS it's common to claim publicly, even day 1 where voting is not allowed while on eurobrick nobody wanted to claim publicly. In amongus didn't have roles other than crewmate and imposter when I played, there we find scum based on seeing them kill or vent for the most part.
lol we are not in RVS anymore friend, you have been gracious enough to generate
content
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:57 am

when do you consider RVS to be over? because I'm just not as good at getting reads due to the way the game is played on amongus and Town of Salem so really I don't have a good reason to vote anyone, Also isn't it your job to help new players out? instead you just started a bandwagon on me due to a confusion, also what about my confused comments did you glanced that I had a private thread? because the player list haven't been updated when I first posted. you know, trying to start a bangwagon on a new and confused player is pretty sus to me therefore VOTE: Maestro
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:11 am

Post by Maestro »

Not trying to start anything lol, but if you feel bandwagoned that's on you, just saying that bc enough Stuff is Happening that ppl should be able to form a read based on how others have reacted, I can reasonably say RVS is over, you no longer have to randomly vote, and you're not - it just seems like you're voting in retaliation

It is part of my job as an experienced player to help less experienced players, yes, but part of that is simply playing out my win condition, reacting as I see fit in a game, and not
escalating anything to a personal attack of any kind
when we're all here just to play a game, idk y so defensive

Never have I mentioned anything about this being about you being newer, you responded feeling targeted in that way; this specific mistake was rly one ppl could've made at any level without reading, I suppose, and I am not 100% unconvinced by your argument, it's your defensiveness that encourages me to stay here w my vote

I also never mentioned anything about you having a private thread? Am I wrong? Point to where I said that please

Again, I will reiterate as part of my job in helping newer players, No Elimination/No Kill is bad for us as town and should not generally be considered, except under very specific circumstances that are not these. The elimination/vote is one of our few counterattacks against a powerful and less-communal night game, so do not
waste
unless in specific circumstances near endgame, which you can look up and for which the odds/math can change sometimes, I would imagine
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:00 pm

In post 45, Maestro wrote:wait, though... actually follow me on this:

"I got a role PM with a name that isn't mine"

*votes that name*

e.g. Role PM received by Sterling, which they didn't realize was also theirs, or for their slot's predecessor, made them vote their predecessor's slot

Sterling got a scum role PM

VOTE: Sterling
here you accuse me of having a scum role PM, which if true would means I have a private thread, however thinking back was still in the RVS, so you'd be fogiven for, however since I don't have anyone better to vote I'm sticking with my vote
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:46 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 75, Sterling the steampunk wrote:well I'm still in the RVS so it doesn't matter if it's you, rose or VOTE: No elimination

Okay, so, just so you're aware, the play on this site emphasizes dayplay over roleclaims which means the scumhunting is going to be based on words and argumentation rather than reports. The possible PRs in the game are not that strong and are unlikely to win the game in place of people making reads.

It's no worry, there's usually at least one person like that in every newbie game. It's likely to get confusing but follow along and just try your best.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:51 pm

Post by catboi »

I think sterling's reaction to maestro feels over the top but can just aseasily come from a newer player who's not used to people making social reads getting upset they'e being accused so strongly.

VOTE: faustiv

I do think trying to string up sterling for a "lack of reaction" to Maestro's scumslip accusation feels opportunist - it had been less than an hour since Maestro posted it and sterling was clearly still catching up. On some other site's there's a higher emphasis on real time interaction but on here that amount of time lag isn't really a big deal and him trying to act like it was incriminating doesn't sit right with me. I saw scum use a similar argument in a recent game (although they were actually bussing their buddy in that instance). Then when sterling did come back and provided an explanation I thought was eminently reasonable, faustiv didn't really comment on it, which suggests to me he wasn't that concerned with getting a response in the first place and was just looking for a target to push.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

In post 35, Maestro wrote:
In post 8, ceejayvinoya wrote:Hellooo

VOTE: Rockhopper
come back to threeeeeaaaaad

no. I dont wanna
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:25 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

What happened to the slow pleasant yesterday? I guess this is good though.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:40 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

It's weird but I'm not really seeing anything yet that catches my attention, except for faustiv who I have no idea how to sort.

catboi feels like town.
maestro feels like town but I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Kyouko hasn't really done anything yet except sit on her early read. Might check again later.
Sterling? idk could be town.

Rose and Thynhith disappeared.

Rockhopper didn't show.

I'd rather push Thynhith for now.

VOTE: Thynhith what do you think of the game so far?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 85, ceejayvinoya wrote:It's weird but I'm not really seeing anything yet that catches my attention, except for faustiv who I have no idea how to sort.

catboi feels like town.

Kyouko hasn't really done anything yet except sit on her early read. Might check again later.

Rockhopper didn't show.

Disappeared? Excuse me, its been less than a day since my last post and not all of us live in the same time zone. And you have no more posts than I do :facepalm:
So much happens in a day! When you say "push", does that mean the same as "ask for reads"? In any case I will catch up when I get home. In the meantime, do you have any strong gut feelings, despite content?
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:53 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

In post 86, Thynhith wrote:
In post 85, ceejayvinoya wrote:It's weird but I'm not really seeing anything yet that catches my attention, except for faustiv who I have no idea how to sort.

catboi feels like town.

Rockhopper didn't show.

Disappeared? Excuse me, its been less than a day since my last post and not all of us live in the same time zone. And you have no more posts than I do :facepalm:
So much happens in a day!
I guess "Disappeared" is a bad way to describe it, I just mean you weren't around since the day started.
When you say "push", does that mean the same as "ask for reads"? In any case I will catch up when I get home. In the meantime, do you have any strong gut feelings, despite content?
I think that's a loose way to describe it? I just want more from you to help figure you out.

Gut feeling is I should probably look into faustiv more but I don't really feel like doing that yet.

Another gut feeling is that your entrance felt rather awkward but looking back on it I think this is just how you post.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:08 pm

Post by faüstiv »

In post 82, catboi wrote:I think sterling's reaction to maestro feels over the top but can just aseasily come from a newer player who's not used to people making social reads getting upset they'e being accused so strongly.

VOTE: faustiv

I do think trying to string up sterling for a "lack of reaction" to Maestro's scumslip accusation feels opportunist - it had been less than an hour since Maestro posted it and sterling was clearly still catching up. On some other site's there's a higher emphasis on real time interaction but on here that amount of time lag isn't really a big deal and him trying to act like it was incriminating doesn't sit right with me. I saw scum use a similar argument in a recent game (although they were actually bussing their buddy in that instance). Then when sterling did come back and provided an explanation I thought was eminently reasonable, faustiv didn't really comment on it, which suggests to me he wasn't that concerned with getting a response in the first place and was just looking for a target to push.
i mean sterling's reaction is the first thing that pinged me this game, so naturally i'm going to push that slot. in terms of sterling's response, i'm still unsure of his alignment. i'm just concerned that he didn't defend himself as vehemently as i would expect from a town player given maestro's reasoning behind his vote. i'm happy with where my vote lies at the time being.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:39 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Spoiler:
In post 29, catboi wrote:
In post 24, Maestro wrote:I said I voted catboi bc they're expressing an awareness of their meta play and simultaneously have thought enough about how they would adjust their meta to actually bring this up in a game... it's about the self-awareness and why catboi would have that self-awareness or be thinking about their meta and how to change it; e.g. bc they're scum?
This is a really weird interpretation of what I said. I expressed specifically that I was unhappy with how I played
as town
in a previous game, and so have decided to try to play differently in the hope of both producing better results and coming across as more welcoming to newer players. I think that's a pretty natural thing to do, lots of people try to change how they play. I think if you're not in a constant process of trying to grow and improve, the game gets dull, and your play will start to decline as well.

The discussion of me being different was not unprompted - it was specifically brought up by Thynhith, the one player here I have experience with, pointing out that I was playing differently from our previous game together. I don't think that was a bad observation, I townlean him for pointing it out because it shows he's thinking critically about the game and was paranoid me having a more "formal" entrance might be a trick to look more towny. This is also not
the first
game I have tried to adjust my newbie game playstyle for, I did it in a prior game as well. I thought that game went slightly better and so decided to open more like that in future games.

Your interpretation is to accuse me of "being self-aware about meta", which is not really what I said, at all. It's framing a pretty straightforward explanation in a fairly sinister light. I said I want to try to play differently because of an unsatisfying performance in a past town game. You turn into possibly adjusting my own meta to deceive others. But if I was trying to deceive people, why would I admit to doing so openly on the first page? Further, if I was supposedly self-aware about my meta and concerned about how I would be read for it, why would I choose to act differently in a game where someone had seen me as town before? Isn't that completely backwards? Your whole thought process here doesn't really make sense to me. What scum thinks to themselves, "I am going to play differently to get townread" and then comes in the thread and says literally exactly that? (Bear in mind, that is NOT what I said, but just for the purposes of this exercise I want to show how this logic doesn't really hold up.)

It's been a fascinating reread. Just want to note that I don't find this entirely satisfying, and Maestro has a valid concern.
1) It's plausible you weren't expecting me pick up on the change to your meta
2) Also plausible you made up an explanation after I pointed it out
Chuck me a link to your prior game and I promise I'll stop harping on :wink:
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:52 pm

Post by faüstiv »

In post 78, Sterling the steampunk wrote:when do you consider RVS to be over? because I'm just not as good at getting reads due to the way the game is played on amongus and Town of Salem so really I don't have a good reason to vote anyone, Also isn't it your job to help new players out? instead you just started a bandwagon on me due to a confusion, also what about my confused comments did you glanced that I had a private thread? because the player list haven't been updated when I first posted. you know, trying to start a bangwagon on a new and confused player is pretty sus to me therefore VOTE: Maestro
what do you mean by private thread?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:56 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions.
@Sterling, I think most people want to get a better read on you, but you don't have much content. What are your reads right now? Even better, do you think anyone voting for you is scum?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:15 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 41, kkirigiri wrote:
In post 39, Maestro wrote: Speaking of withholding info not being good during Day phase, if you feel this confident do share, it will prob get ppl not currently discussing in-thread much to hop in
We've got plenty of time. Personally I'd like to see people post a bit more before I real who I'm thinking about. My idea is that pushing for their elimination might be trickier given they know someone's already suspicious of them so early into the game.
They may yet weave me some more rope, so to speak.
This irks me because I reread the first two pages, and when I saw your "pretty confident" post I combed through them again. And I saw... nothing that jumped out at me. I'm not scumreading you for this, but I will definitely be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing. What can I say? I'm looking forward to the payoff?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Post by Thynhith »

PS usually I'd suspect this kind of post from scum trying to mislim poor townies. But this is your first game on this site, so I'm also considering you've latched onto something that you see as scummy. Whatever it is, it's gone over my head. Have you played mafia/ww/tos on other sites?
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:20 pm

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 78, Sterling the steampunk wrote:when do you consider RVS to be over? because I'm just not as good at getting reads due to the way the game is played on amongus and Town of Salem so really I don't have a good reason to vote anyone, Also isn't it your job to help new players out? instead you just started a bandwagon on me due to a confusion, also what about my confused comments did you
glanced that I had a private thread
? because the player list haven't been updated when I first posted. you know, trying to start a bangwagon on a new and confused player is pretty sus to me therefore VOTE: Maestro
I don't think Maestro said anything about a private thread to you.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:32 pm

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 92, Thynhith wrote: This irks me because I reread the first two pages, and when I saw your "pretty confident" post I combed through them again. And I saw... nothing that jumped out at me. I'm not scumreading you for this, but I will definitely be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing. What can I say? I'm looking forward to the payoff?
I think openings can be quite telling, when there's no other text for players to bite on, so to speak. Mafia may tend to feel as if they have to work harder than town players in order to be townread, end end up overcompensating for what is natural. I thought I saw a bit of evidence for that somewhere on the first page.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 33, kkirigiri wrote:Also, hello everyone. I've only just been able to post due to being locked out of the thread mistakenly.
I believe I don't know anyone here except for faustIV, but am looking forward ot an interesting game nonetheless.
Waaait, you know Faust? From where? Lol it says you joined the site on the 17th
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:04 pm

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 96, Thynhith wrote:
In post 33, kkirigiri wrote: Waaait, you know Faust? From where? Lol it says you joined the site on the 17th
yeah, from elsewhere on the internet, for around ten years or so

Part of the reason why I didn't pull him up on voting no-one is because that's just the thing he'd do try and elicit a reaction from other players.
On that subject, not sure why Sterling was doing the same. I had read his earlier posts as a townslip rather than as Maestro had done as a scumslip, but his actions following that seem a little off to me so far.

I'd like him to explain his thought processes in a bit more detail.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:57 am

In post 90, faüstiv wrote:
In post 78, Sterling the steampunk wrote:when do you consider RVS to be over? because I'm just not as good at getting reads due to the way the game is played on amongus and Town of Salem so really I don't have a good reason to vote anyone, Also isn't it your job to help new players out? instead you just started a bandwagon on me due to a confusion, also what about my confused comments did you glanced that I had a private thread? because the player list haven't been updated when I first posted. you know, trying to start a bangwagon on a new and confused player is pretty sus to me therefore VOTE: Maestro
what do you mean by private thread?
like mafia or mason chat
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:06 am

Post by catboi »

.................are you saying you have one?

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”