Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:10 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

well my thought process is I'm used to playing in powerrole heavy games, where we get most of our info from claims, counter claims, and investigation reports, because in ToS there can only be one Jailor, so if two player claims jailor we know at least one of them is lying, also in Town of Salem we're told what role killed the player, eg. SK Mafia Vig Vet Jest ect. so really I'm used to the game mechanics to give use our information.

the reason I've latched onto Maestro is because I felt as if he's found an easy scapegoat in the new player and that's really the only read I got from this game
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 am

In post 99, catboi wrote:.................are you saying you have one?
no, but it's common thing in Mafia for informed players to have their own private chat where they can chat without anyone else hearing, so I assumed this game have one.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:18 am

Post by faüstiv »

UNVOTE:
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:53 am

Post by kkirigiri »

Anyway, this was my scumread from the opening
VOTE: TheftOfARose
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:06 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 103, kkirigiri wrote:Anyway, this was my scumread from the opening
eh, i could see it, but i've not sorted him yet as i wasn't sure if that was just his style of posting or not. will need to see more content from him.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:07 am

Post by kkirigiri »

I'd said 'at least one' for a reason too, I was fairly suspicious of Thynhith following their interaction with catboi, which I thought felt a bit stilted, but after re-reading I think it's fairly natural if they had had past history.
I also like Thyn's response to me holding off revealing my read:
In post 92, Thynhith wrote: This irks me because I reread the first two pages, and when I saw your "pretty confident" post I combed through them again. And I saw... nothing that jumped out at me. I'm not scumreading you for this, but I will definitely be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing. What can I say? I'm looking forward to the payoff?
I think this is an earnest attempt to try and see the game the way I was, a mafia might not make the same effort and just blindly agree with me for instance.

Finally I'd say I was a little taken aback when catboi assumed I suspected him from the opening. I think he's been somewhat defensive so far, and quite wordy, but I could see his frustration at being suspected by Thyn as coming from a town POV.
That said, I'd lean town on him, I think what he said to me about trying not to be too paranoid about more experienced players is quite interesting, I think as scum he might want to nurture a bit of suspicion about other experienced players [assuming he also knows Maestro is town]. I'll take him as being genuine that he wants me to share his townread for now.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:09 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 104, faüstiv wrote:
eh, i could see it, but i've not sorted him yet as i wasn't sure if that was just his style of posting or not. will need to see more content from him.
Yeah, I was hoping they'd have posted again by now too, but I gave it a day and figured I may as well try to advance the game at this point.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:10 am

Post by faüstiv »

interesting. I do have some initial reads which I will explain in due course, but I'm not posting them until I see some content from Rockhopper.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:11 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 106, kkirigiri wrote:
Yeah, I was hoping they'd have posted again by now too, but I gave it a day and figured I may as well try to advance the game at this point.
yeah, though it is the weekend so I'll give him a pass.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:11 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 106, kkirigiri wrote:
yeah, though it is the weekend so I'll give him a pass.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:14 am

Post by kkirigiri »

Just a little question for you, was the 'no elimination' vote in any way directed as a way to troll me? Won't hold it against you if it was, just it was always a pet hate of mine to see people waste mis-elims* in chat mafia haha.

*will take me a while to get used to saying it that way
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:17 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 110, kkirigiri wrote:Just a little question for you, was the 'no elimination' vote in any way directed as a way to troll me? Won't hold it against you if it was, just it was always a pet hate of mine to see people waste mis-elims* in chat mafia haha.

nah, I no-voted to gauge reactions.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:01 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 111, faüstiv wrote:
In post 110, kkirigiri wrote:Just a little question for you, was the 'no elimination' vote in any way directed as a way to troll me? Won't hold it against you if it was, just it was always a pet hate of mine to see people waste mis-elims* in chat mafia haha.

nah, I no-voted to gauge reactions.
and do tell us the bountiful knowledge you gauged from the reactions you elicited

will look over other shiz soon
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:06 am

Post by faüstiv »

gained naff all mate, but was worth a go.
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:37 am

kkirigiri, any reason to gauged Rose as scum?
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:19 pm

Post by Dannflor »

Searching for a replacement for Theftofarose.
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:54 pm

Post by Dannflor »

Prodding Rockhopper.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Post by catboi »

kiri might've been onto something
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 89, Thynhith wrote:
Spoiler:
In post 29, catboi wrote:
In post 24, Maestro wrote:I said I voted catboi bc they're expressing an awareness of their meta play and simultaneously have thought enough about how they would adjust their meta to actually bring this up in a game... it's about the self-awareness and why catboi would have that self-awareness or be thinking about their meta and how to change it; e.g. bc they're scum?
This is a really weird interpretation of what I said. I expressed specifically that I was unhappy with how I played
as town
in a previous game, and so have decided to try to play differently in the hope of both producing better results and coming across as more welcoming to newer players. I think that's a pretty natural thing to do, lots of people try to change how they play. I think if you're not in a constant process of trying to grow and improve, the game gets dull, and your play will start to decline as well.

The discussion of me being different was not unprompted - it was specifically brought up by Thynhith, the one player here I have experience with, pointing out that I was playing differently from our previous game together. I don't think that was a bad observation, I townlean him for pointing it out because it shows he's thinking critically about the game and was paranoid me having a more "formal" entrance might be a trick to look more towny. This is also not
the first
game I have tried to adjust my newbie game playstyle for, I did it in a prior game as well. I thought that game went slightly better and so decided to open more like that in future games.

Your interpretation is to accuse me of "being self-aware about meta", which is not really what I said, at all. It's framing a pretty straightforward explanation in a fairly sinister light. I said I want to try to play differently because of an unsatisfying performance in a past town game. You turn into possibly adjusting my own meta to deceive others. But if I was trying to deceive people, why would I admit to doing so openly on the first page? Further, if I was supposedly self-aware about my meta and concerned about how I would be read for it, why would I choose to act differently in a game where someone had seen me as town before? Isn't that completely backwards? Your whole thought process here doesn't really make sense to me. What scum thinks to themselves, "I am going to play differently to get townread" and then comes in the thread and says literally exactly that? (Bear in mind, that is NOT what I said, but just for the purposes of this exercise I want to show how this logic doesn't really hold up.)

It's been a fascinating reread. Just want to note that I don't find this entirely satisfying, and Maestro has a valid concern.
1) It's plausible you weren't expecting me pick up on the change to your meta
2) Also plausible you made up an explanation after I pointed it out
Chuck me a link to your prior game and I promise I'll stop harping on :wink:
Do you think it's a "valid concern" when maestro admitted it was a "shit line of reasoning"?

I think you'll see this is basically the same opener. My intention is to basically make it a standard opener in my newbie games.
In post 91, Thynhith wrote:Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions.
@Sterling, I think most people want to get a better read on you, but you don't have much content. What are your reads right now? Even better, do you think anyone voting for you is scum?
Why are you asking sterling for reads rather than giving your own?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Did ya not see what I said? I'm uncomfortable with the little content Sterling has contributed and I would appreciate more, to get a better read on him. And he might have something to say about the folks who voted him.
Btw I'm happy to let it rest now, thanks for linking. Will post my reads in a moment.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 6, TheftofaRose wrote:Greetings, all - I’m Rose. I have played mafia to an extent, usually via real life and live chatrooms, and I figured trying out a forums game after a nearly two-year hiatus from the game entirely would be a valuable endeavor instead of focusing on my debatably more important IRL concerns. I am familiar with the concept of the game, though some jargon and other forums-specific jumble may be lost on me. I prefer the term rustic over rusty.

The first person (and only the first person) to identify the reference in my username earns a nice, shiny, golden townread from me.

Until then, as they clearly have the scummiest name (the ü’s the killer), enjoy a nicer, shinier, goldener vote.

VOTE: faüstiv
Re: Rose's first post and his slot in general
In fact this was the one I jokingly voted for being "high-effort". Let's note that Rose made a grand total of 3 posts on this site before ghosting. So I'm thinking he tried and didn't like it or forgot about it, rather than quitting out of frustration of losing as scum. So I don't see a reason to scumread him, and hope we get a more active replacement.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:27 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 100, Sterling the steampunk wrote:well my thought process is I'm used to playing in powerrole heavy games, where we get most of our info from claims, counter claims, and investigation reports, because in ToS there can only be one Jailor, so if two player claims jailor we know at least one of them is lying, also in Town of Salem we're told what role killed the player, eg. SK Mafia Vig Vet Jest ect. so really I'm used to the game mechanics to give use our information.

the reason I've latched onto Maestro is because I felt as if he's found an easy scapegoat in the new player and that's really the only read I got from this game
Why do you believe he sees you as an "easy scapegoat"? Why does that not apply to any of the other newbies in the game?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:16 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 105, kkirigiri wrote:Finally I'd say I was a little taken aback when catboi assumed I suspected him from the opening. I think he's been somewhat defensive so far, and quite wordy, but I could see his frustration at being suspected by Thyn as coming from a town POV.
That said, I'd lean town on him, I think what he said to me about trying not to be too paranoid about more experienced players is quite interesting, I think as scum he might want to nurture a bit of suspicion about other experienced players [assuming he also knows Maestro is town]. I'll take him as being genuine that he wants me to share his townread for now.
I wasn't really frustrated by Thynhith at all? Don't know where you got that impression. I was pretty calm in my response. It takes a lot more than that to frustrate me. Maestro did irk me a little because I thought he was being kind of ridiculous but he admitted it was a reaction test (i think?)

Admittedly I assumed you were talking about suspecting me as scum because Thyn had said his suspicion of Theft was a joke, so I assumed it was about me (and, granted, if you're reading people off their entrances, I don't think mine is all that different from TheftofaRose's entrance). Just attempting to deduce things based on what you'd hinted. The actual entrance posts from Theft didn't strike me one way or the other, but the fact they made a wordy entrance and couldn't follow it up, and replaced out upon getting attention is...strange. Sometimes people decide they aren't interested or get bored but it feels a bit jarring with the entrance post. I'll wait until the player is replaced, though.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:19 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 88, faüstiv wrote:
In post 82, catboi wrote:I think sterling's reaction to maestro feels over the top but can just aseasily come from a newer player who's not used to people making social reads getting upset they'e being accused so strongly.

VOTE: faustiv

I do think trying to string up sterling for a "lack of reaction" to Maestro's scumslip accusation feels opportunist - it had been less than an hour since Maestro posted it and sterling was clearly still catching up. On some other site's there's a higher emphasis on real time interaction but on here that amount of time lag isn't really a big deal and him trying to act like it was incriminating doesn't sit right with me. I saw scum use a similar argument in a recent game (although they were actually bussing their buddy in that instance). Then when sterling did come back and provided an explanation I thought was eminently reasonable, faustiv didn't really comment on it, which suggests to me he wasn't that concerned with getting a response in the first place and was just looking for a target to push.
i mean sterling's reaction is the first thing that pinged me this game, so naturally i'm going to push that slot. in terms of sterling's response, i'm still unsure of his alignment. i'm just concerned that he didn't defend himself as vehemently as i would expect from a town player given maestro's reasoning behind his vote. i'm happy with where my vote lies at the time being.
In post 90, faüstiv wrote:
In post 78, Sterling the steampunk wrote:when do you consider RVS to be over? because I'm just not as good at getting reads due to the way the game is played on amongus and Town of Salem so really I don't have a good reason to vote anyone, Also isn't it your job to help new players out? instead you just started a bandwagon on me due to a confusion, also what about my confused comments did you glanced that I had a private thread? because the player list haven't been updated when I first posted. you know, trying to start a bangwagon on a new and confused player is pretty sus to me therefore VOTE: Maestro
what do you mean by private thread?
In post 102, faüstiv wrote:UNVOTE:
I kind of like this sequence from faustiv. I think he'd be less likely to make that unvote as scum.

...which ironically actually makes me more disposed to vote sterling, as I think other people have been townier.

UNVOTE:

VOTE: sterling
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Explain that thought, please? What is unscummy about his unvote?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”