Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:46 am

Post by catboi »

In post 215, Thynhith wrote:
Spoiler:
In post 178, catboi wrote:
In post 171, Fennec wrote:Alright, I'm at the computer.

Scratch going in-depth on my catboi reads, literally everyone has done it for me. Just look at faust and kiri's posts, then look at thy outright KNOWING that cat changed his meta (And also said that he did) and also a few things he also mentioned, You can already see why the fuck I find cat as a possible scum player. so doing it now: VOTE: Cat

So I wanna go into some reads of the... more sleepy people.

Faust - Seems the most town, Pointing out a lot of important details that needed to be mentioned and that I agree with is one thing, but his explanation of everything is generally, quite good, and not scummy. If you wanna know why, J U S T R E A D it is literally all in 2 pages before this post and the page it is on.
Maestro - More of a response type thing here: If your mentioning 1 scum is in Cat/Faust/Sterling, to me, your basically claiming Cat is scummy to you. you thought Sterling was suspicious for a kinda weird reason, think more in-depth about it, it is a scumread based on an obvious NAI set of posts. For now, I do think you are somewhat town for sure though.
Cee - I can't even get myself to think of you as EITHER town or scum. You don't even warrant a Null. Could turn up as the scum-partner of what maestro mentioned
Rockhopper - Literally has done fuck all. With POE though, I'm kinda thinking that this guy MIGHT end up being the scum-partner of what maestro mentioned. Rockhopper, please do something. and if you eventually get replaced which I think you will, can the replacement send some actual content so we can actually see what you think, and actually get some material?
If there's an opportunistic scum trying to take advantage of the pressure on me, it's fennec - I think the vote on me looks very convenient when I'd already expressed suspicion of the slot and sort of loosely suggested it could be aligned with sterling - sterling's "are you scum?" question to fennec was incredibly awkward.

Contrast this with what fennec said a few hours prior to this:
In post 140, Fennec wrote:Cat - Null - Not a good null! Null to me means you've acted both scum and town around the same amount! town should usually, be playing a lot more town! this one is more of a "Feels both scummy and towny, too early to tell" Type thing, so it isn't that bad!
The read was basically an in between one, maybe framed as a slight negative in that I wasn't being towny enough. That doesn't look at all like how fennec acted when faustiv outed his read on me, where he just goes, "yes!! good case!!! i agree!!!!!1!"

To me, it looks like fennec decided I was a good wagon the second someone gave him an excuse to hop on.

@catboi, I am still concerned with this post of yours. You make decent points about Fennec's possible scuminess, but you fail to add a vote for him.
Do you truly find him less scummy than Sterling? I'll get the ball rolling for you;
VOTE: Fennec
At the time I wanted to see how fennec would respond to me, because while my initial reaction was his vote on me was scummy I didn't want to overreact out of a dislike for him pushing me. I'm still waiting on that response.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:35 am

Post by catboi »

In post 217, faüstiv wrote:You could be, I'm just highlighting something that pinged me. Sure, it's not 'strong evidence' and not a line that's directly indicative to a particular alignment, but it's something that caught my eye and so I felt I should question it. You claiming it to be 'tunnelling' seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.
In post 217, faüstiv wrote:No, I was specifically highlighting the 'it's only RVS' line in that. I never suggested that players shouldn't move to other wagons, I was merely highlighting the fact that scum will put something in a vote like the 'it's only RVS' line so that they can jump onto other wagons without much heat coming to their slot because they can use that 'it was only RVS' as a defense. Again, not directly alignment indicative, but it's something I've see scum do often. That second line is again, a bit of an overreaction to what I've said whilst also misrepresenting what I've said. Part of your case on Fennec is his overreaction to being scrutinized, yet you now seem to be doing it.
is it an overreaction when you're set on reading sinister intent into literally everything I say? I feel like you're being very unreasonable here. You're not even meaningfully addressing what I'm saying.

Why is it a bad thing to move a vote off from someone after RVS? Why is that scummy? Don't dodge, answer me clearly.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 am

Post by catboi »

like I was thinking you were sincere but misguided but this current argument suggesting saying "it's only RVS" about a page 1 vote is really bullshit and you've played here before, you should know how early game voting works, trying to attack me for that is nonsense
Sterling the steampunk
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Sterling the steampunk
Townie
Townie

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 am

Post by Sterling the steampunk »

hey, you might have gotten it going but kkrigiri was suspicious of the slot for a while
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:43 am

Post by Dannflor »

Prodding Maestro and Fennec.
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:46 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 229, Dannflor wrote:
Prodding Maestro and Fennec.
please could we have a vote count as there have been quite a few votes placed since the last one.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:50 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 220, Sterling the steampunk wrote:seeing how kkirgiri who played mafia on other sites before, and judging how she was able to get a read very early, I guess she's more used to playing by reads rather than power roles, I'm inclined to believe her feels. as well as Cat having suspicions and groups being able to make better guesses than individuals VOTE: Fennec

I still personally have stronger suspicions on maestro but the group is stronger than the induvial
hoo boy this post, feels like ultra-sheep scum flying under the radar to anyone else? "The group is stronger than the individual but I have done no work to try to convince the group of my individual assertion that Maestro is Scum, so now I will just sheep somebody else who has been more nice to me than mean ol Maestro who is Scumreading me so I Scumread them back..."

like what

@ Faust you have to stop using the L word, I'm surprised mod hasn't warned on it yet tbh

I will post more when you all are more interesting, why the votes on Fennec? Maybe I missed something
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:50 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 220, Sterling the steampunk wrote:seeing how kkirgiri who played mafia on other sites before, and judging how she was able to get a read very early, I guess she's more used to playing by reads rather than power roles, I'm inclined to believe her feels. as well as Cat having suspicions and groups being able to make better guesses than individuals VOTE: Fennec

I still personally have stronger suspicions on maestro but the group is stronger than the induvial
hoo boy this post, feels like ultra-sheep scum flying under the radar to anyone else? "The group is stronger than the individual but I have done no work to try to convince the group of my individual assertion that Maestro is Scum, so now I will just sheep somebody else who has been more nice to me than mean ol Maestro who is Scumreading me so I Scumread them back..."

like what

@ Faust you have to stop using the L word, I'm surprised mod hasn't warned on it yet tbh

I will post more when you all are more interesting, why the votes on Fennec? Maybe I missed something
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:51 am

Post by Maestro »

(I'm also busy and behind onreading, I know, and my shit keeps double-posting, so I am not only refusing to post bc I find you all boring, that's mainly a joke - I know I need so say this bc somebody will take it srsly and run with it)
Dannflor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Dannflor
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:52 am

Post by Dannflor »

VC 1.3

Slate is a fine-grained, foliated, homogeneous metamorphic rock derived from an original shale-type sedimentary rock composed of clay or volcanic ash through low-grade regional metamorphism. It is the finest grained foliated metamorphic rock.[1] Foliation may not correspond to the original sedimentary layering, but instead is in planes perpendicular to the direction of metamorphic compression.[1]

votes
[3] Fennec
:
Thynhith, kkirigiri, Sterling the steampunk
[2] Sterling the steampunk
:
Maestro, catboi
[2] catboi
:
faüstiv, Fennec
[1] Thynhith
:
ceejayvinoya

[1] Not Voting
:
thewingfan

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to eliminate

The Day 1 deadline is in
: (expired on 2022-10-31 21:18:19)

Mod Notes
: :]
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:04 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 232, Maestro wrote:

like what

Force of habit. I haven't played mafia since my last game here where I was scum. "Lynch" was the common term used back then but yeah,I can see why the word causes controversy. I'll try and avoid using the word from now on.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:10 am

Post by kkirigiri »

consider my right eyebrow fully raised
In post 232, Maestro wrote: ...

if you follow my posts then you'll see my explanation for keeping my vote on him up until now - Sterling's vote does make me a little more doubtful of my read... perhaps that's the intention?
I thought I had been quite explicit in my suspicion of Sterling as Fennec's most likely maf partner, so I'd be baffled if he thinks I'm being especially 'nice' to him.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:12 am

Post by Maestro »

For some reason he buddied you intensely in the very post you quoted (or that's how I'm reading it) but ok
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:13 am

Post by Maestro »

"The group is stronger than the individual" literally sounds like a Scum propaganda line to get out of any responsibility for a miselim, that's the huge red flag for me and yeah it should make you rethink why FennecScum in this situation, I am following posts but not seeing that
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:14 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 226, catboi wrote:
In post 217, faüstiv wrote:You could be, I'm just highlighting something that pinged me. Sure, it's not 'strong evidence' and not a line that's directly indicative to a particular alignment, but it's something that caught my eye and so I felt I should question it. You claiming it to be 'tunnelling' seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.
In post 217, faüstiv wrote:No, I was specifically highlighting the 'it's only RVS' line in that. I never suggested that players shouldn't move to other wagons, I was merely highlighting the fact that scum will put something in a vote like the 'it's only RVS' line so that they can jump onto other wagons without much heat coming to their slot because they can use that 'it was only RVS' as a defense. Again, not directly alignment indicative, but it's something I've see scum do often. That second line is again, a bit of an overreaction to what I've said whilst also misrepresenting what I've said. Part of your case on Fennec is his overreaction to being scrutinized, yet you now seem to be doing it.
is it an overreaction when you're set on reading sinister intent into literally everything I say? I feel like you're being very unreasonable here. You're not even meaningfully addressing what I'm saying.

Why is it a bad thing to move a vote off from someone after RVS? Why is that scummy? Don't dodge, answer me clearly.
In post 227, catboi wrote:like I was thinking you were sincere but misguided but this current argument suggesting saying "it's only RVS" about a page 1 vote is really bullshit and you've played here before, you should know how early game voting works, trying to attack me for that is nonsense
I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.

You making the RVS vote post pinged me and I wanted to explore it. My point isn't exclusive to RVS; scum could place an FOS/vote on a player for example like the below:
I think catboi is scum. He's overreating a lot and I find that scummy,
but I could be wrong.
I think catboi is scum. He's overreating a lot and I find that scummy,
but I guess town could do it too.
Your "it's only RVS" is in similar vein to the examples listed above. It pinged me and I wanted to question it. I'm not saying RVS is scummy or moving out of RVS is scummy, I'm just making the point that scum can say something as an excuse to 'back out' of a vote, which I've seen scum do numerous times. In your case, it was the "RVS" which I picked up.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:20 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 237, Maestro wrote:For some reason he buddied you intensely in the very post you quoted (or that's how I'm reading it) but ok
I mean, that's a big part of why I'm confused, if anyone was defending him this phase, it's been faust, not me. I'm a strange choice for him to appeal to.
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: he

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:21 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 216, Sterling the steampunk wrote:thewingfan, I like you already

Give it time. Not that I'm unlikeable but I come from the school of Spenser.

And Spenser's Crimebusters Tipbook since when you don't know anything annoy someone.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:25 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 238, Maestro wrote:"The group is stronger than the individual" literally sounds like a Scum propaganda line to get out of any responsibility for a miselim, that's the huge red flag for me and yeah it should make you rethink why FennecScum in this situation, I am following posts but not seeing that
You don't find Fennec's attempt to handwave Sterling's behaviour as 'town dumbass' after he'd collected two votes from SE players as worthy of suspicion?
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 am

Post by thewingfan »

In post 208, faüstiv wrote:
In post 207, thewingfan wrote:
In post 206, Thynhith wrote:
In post 197, thewingfan wrote:So I'm new to this site and all. But play ALL the time elsewhere on forums. This thing bugs me a bit.

"Think less when posting, nobody will get mad if you're slightly unclear, just answer questions and show genuine interest, but I will get annoyed by Day 2 if I can't get read on you just fyi"

Where I normally play, we have players who I can't read by D5 or D6. But then again a day lasts like 8 hours normally there. D2 seems a bit impatient to me?
Just fyi, D1 is 10 days and every game-day hence is 7 real days. So games can drag on for a looong time (but tend to speed up when we have more info). By the time D2 starts I have a good read on maybe half the players.
Anyway, welcome to the game! Looking forward to hearing fresh thoughts
Thanks, but i don't know how much help I'm gonna be. Other than wrapping my head around a single day here, being as long as an entire game where I normally play at. I largely play with the same core group of folks over and over so kind of know how everyone plays so that's a challenge too. Add in trying to learn a whole new set of terminology. and my long time stance that D1 is for excrements and giggles.

Gonna be a STEEP learning curve.
do you have any initial reads?
Apologies if this is a double post.... but I wanted to make sure this got answered and even though I hit submit and was told it did get posted.....I don't see it.

VOTE: Maestro

I don't like how quick he was to jump on Sterling for what looked to me to be newbie confusion. I could very well be projecting my own confusion on to Sterling but this forum system doesn't make any sense-yet
thewingfan
thewingfan
he
Townie
thewingfan
he
Townie
Townie

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 am

Post by thewingfan »

Also can someone tell me what the heck RVS means????!!
faüstiv
faüstiv
Goon
faüstiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:30 am

Post by faüstiv »

In post 243, thewingfan wrote:
In post 208, faüstiv wrote:
In post 207, thewingfan wrote:
In post 206, Thynhith wrote:
In post 197, thewingfan wrote:So I'm new to this site and all. But play ALL the time elsewhere on forums. This thing bugs me a bit.

"Think less when posting, nobody will get mad if you're slightly unclear, just answer questions and show genuine interest, but I will get annoyed by Day 2 if I can't get read on you just fyi"

Where I normally play, we have players who I can't read by D5 or D6. But then again a day lasts like 8 hours normally there. D2 seems a bit impatient to me?
Just fyi, D1 is 10 days and every game-day hence is 7 real days. So games can drag on for a looong time (but tend to speed up when we have more info). By the time D2 starts I have a good read on maybe half the players.
Anyway, welcome to the game! Looking forward to hearing fresh thoughts
Thanks, but i don't know how much help I'm gonna be. Other than wrapping my head around a single day here, being as long as an entire game where I normally play at. I largely play with the same core group of folks over and over so kind of know how everyone plays so that's a challenge too. Add in trying to learn a whole new set of terminology. and my long time stance that D1 is for excrements and giggles.

Gonna be a STEEP learning curve.
do you have any initial reads?
Apologies if this is a double post.... but I wanted to make sure this got answered and even though I hit submit and was told it did get posted.....I don't see it.

I don't like how quick he was to jump on Sterling for what looked to me to be newbie confusion. I could very well be projecting my own confusion on to Sterling but this forum system doesn't make any sense-yet
assuming by this you townread steampunk then? what's your thoughts on the other players, including steampunk?

RVS = Random Vote Stage. It's where votes are placed at random at the start of the game with the purpose of instigating discussion.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:44 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 243, thewingfan wrote:

I think Sterling's continuation from when he was first voted by Maestro is more telling than Maestro's scumslip theory.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:47 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 242, kkirigiri wrote:
In post 238, Maestro wrote:"The group is stronger than the individual" literally sounds like a Scum propaganda line to get out of any responsibility for a miselim, that's the huge red flag for me and yeah it should make you rethink why FennecScum in this situation, I am following posts but not seeing that
You don't find Fennec's attempt to handwave Sterling's behaviour as 'town dumbass' after he'd collected two votes from SE players as worthy of suspicion?
IMO that is a valid opinion to have about Sterling's behavior, and that's as much as I can kindly say

My opinion on Sterling's behavior is it comes from newbScum and Fennec seems to think newbTown, that is just difference in opinion so far, and also I dislike this importance being placed on SE slot attention; if somebody has an SE's attention or vote it means same thing as any other players' attention or vote
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:49 am

Post by kkirigiri »

I don't really see any universe where Sterling and Maestro are scum together either, I'm pretty surprised that you see Maestro as being more scummy than Sterling unless you have some really good reasons as to why his later behaviour is explainable as 'confused town'.
Remember, he's not new to mafia games so I don't buy the idea that he doesn't understand some basic tactics such as distancing or bussing - whether he knows when and how to execute them on this site is another matter, but it would be a mistake in my view to assume he's totally clueless.
kkirigiri
kkirigiri
any
Goon
kkirigiri
any
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:55 am

Post by kkirigiri »

In post 247, Maestro wrote: IMO that is a valid opinion to have about Sterling's behavior, and that's as much as I can kindly say
I wouldn't worry too much as to whether you're being kind or not. If you dislike my way of thinking, be blunt if you need to.
My opinion on Sterling's behavior is it comes from newbScum and Fennec seems to think newbTown, that is just difference in opinion so far, and also I dislike this importance being placed on SE slot attention; if somebody has an SE's attention or vote it means same thing as any other players' attention or vote
There's a difference between newbScum and just playing scum badly and having it be exposed under pressure. And sure, at the end of the day, one vote is one vote, but I think a player in Fennec and Sterling's position might see two 'stronger' players' votes and opinions as more weighty and therefore more dangerous than other players new to the site.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”